5.0 out of 5 stars THIS GUY'S IN LOVE; Isn't It Romantic?
One might think we've heard the best of Steve Tyrell. With three albums--A NEW STANDARD, STANDARD TIME, and THIS TIME OF THE YEAR--already to his credit, each one more exciting than the one before. But no. Tyrell has fulfilled all expectations with his new offering, THIS GUY'S IN LOVE.
Published on Dec 21 2003 by M.L. Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars This Guy's in Love
Well..."it's a difference of opinion that makes horse racing." Contray to the glowing reviews that Steve Tyrell's long awaited fourth CD has received, I feel that it's no match to his previous three CD releases. To this trained ear, it sounded like he was imitating himself.
Published on Nov. 10 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS GUY'S IN LOVE; Isn't It Romantic?, Dec 21 2003
M.L. Allen "Allen's Opinion" (Daytona Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
Opening with Bob Mann's groovy guitar, Tyrell steps up to perform his magic on Rodgers and Hart's "Isn't It Romantic?" and within the first few bars, I felt my face auto-launch into smile mode.
The standards are here, but with Bob Mann arranging, you can count on a fresh approach. The old and familiar songs sound as though they were written for Steve Tyrell. And Tyrell's style makes them sound as if he wrote them himself.
And of course, Tyrell calls on the talents of the best musicians out there. Alan Pasqua, Bob Mann, Clark Terry, and Plas Johnson shine on several of these selections. Mann adds nice vibes to "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To." And Antoine Silverman's fiddle melds well with Tyrell's unique take on Hoagy Carmichael's classic, "Georgia On My Mind." This is so special. You can't listen to Steve Tyrell sing "Georgia On My Mind" without smiling.
With Tyrell's marvelous voice, lyric by the Bergmans--"Amazing how serene it is, the shade of evergreen it is"--and Mann's wonderful guitar, "Love Like Ours" is easily the most romantic moment on this generally romantic album.
Michael Brecker performs jazzy sax solos on Gershwin's "They Can't Take That Away From Me" and Jules Styne's "Just In Time." Brecker took time out from winning Grammys, and is noted in Jazziz magazine as, "...the most influential tenor stylist of the last twenty-five years."
Burt Bacharach arranged, co-produced, and plays piano on two songs he wrote with Hal David. "This Guy's In Love With You" belonged to Herb Alpert for thirty-five years. Now it's Tyrell's song. "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" was previously recorded to perfection by Barbra Streisand but Tyrell gives new life and a bit of drama to this incredibly beautiful ballad.
There are no duets and that's a good thing. While the ladies who joined him on previous albums certainly held their own, we do buy Steve Tyrell's music to hear Steve Tyrell.
Listen to it. Isn't it romantic? And what a gift for everyone you love. They're sure to find an old favorite love song sung the way Steve Tyrell--and I--think they should be sung. Or maybe you'll find a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS GUY'S BEST OUTING TO DATE, Nov. 25 2003
david pershica (London, England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
Steve Tyrell has done it again. He has made yet another complete recording of best loved standards and made them sound as fresh and new as if they were written yesterday.
Steve's voice and ability to emote are astounding. You can hear the smile in his voice on the up tunes and the heart breaking tears in his voice on the ballads.
But it is not just Steve who deserves all the credit. Around him are the BEST jazz sidemen in the business. Never is a note wasted and the arrangements are always brilliant.
Any lover of standards will love this as well as Steve's other two CDs and anyone who wants to learn more about the genre should also get this CD.
This recording is a perfect holiday gift, but to make your gift giving truely special, give your loved one all three of his CDs. - you will save them the time of going to amazon.com - which they will immediately do anyway.
BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO TO STEVE TYRELL.
THANK YOU FOR TRUELY KEEPING THE GREAT AMERICAN STANDARDS VERY ALIVE AND VERY WELL!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars HE TOUCHES THE HEART, Nov. 17 2003
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
For those who follow these reviews, I haven't written one in over a year. On November 3, 2002, I got very 'personal' in my last review, talking about the inspiration and hope I felt when listening to Liza Minnelli's valiant comeback attempt in her "Liza's Back" CD. I didn't get too specific, but the fact is, we had just learned that my wife, Sande, was suffering from cancer. My beloved Sande died in February of 2003, and just as I was ordering Steve Tyrell's latest CD, "This Guy's In Love," I was notified that his own beloved Stephanie had died of cancer on October 27th of this year.
Knowing this, it is almost impossible to listen to this latest collection of wonderful Tyrell songs without, once again, 'getting personal.' I'm not naive enough to think he ran out and recorded every number the same day he got his own bad news, but still.....I can all too easily imagine the depth of his suffering and pain when I hear the melancholy treatment he lends to such classics as "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To," "The Nearness of You," "I've Got A Crush On You," and "They Can't Take That Away From Me." Especially touching for me was hearing "A Love Like Ours" (dedicated in the liner notes "for Steph") and "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" (which is actually about a broken romance, but I think Mr. Tyrell and I understand the deeper, more tragic undertones of the lyrics.)
However, the last thing I intend to do here is imply that only the lonely (or heart-broken) can enjoy the vast talent of Steve Tyrell. I, personally, have been a major admirer of his since he first started recording, which you will know if you ever happen to see my 'Listmania' compilation titled "THE BEST MEN (Musically Speaking)." I place him in pretty good company on that list! He has a rare gift of coveying emotion, be it happy or sad, and he is quickly becoming a legend. And without sounding more morose than I already have, I have updated my own future (and I'm hoping for the very DISTANT future!) funeral arrangements to include only two recordings....both his from earlier releases...."For All We Know (We May Never Meet Again)" and "I'll Be Seeing You."
So, OK, this may all seem a little depressing, but it's not. A voice like Steve Tyrell's....his magical ability to touch the heart (and soul)of everyone who has the privelege of hearing him sing....is something to celebrate, shout about from the rooftops, and ENJOY. Enjoy the genius of Steve Tyrell on his latest CD, and let's hope for many, many more....for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMONG THE BEST OF THE BEST, Nov. 11 2003
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
I first heard Steve Tyrell at a dinner party at a friend's house. (The voice sounded familiar and later I learned it was because of the association of his music with the movie "Father of The Bride".) Much to everyone's delight, we listened to the project several times during that evening and the host in turn bought it for me the next day. The album was his first, "A New Standard." The new project "This Guy's In Love", could as easily be titled "Improving the Standards." His amazingly unique voice and flawless production lends itself to the legions of the all time great performers. The artist, just as the music, are timeless. This new album combines a carefully crafted selection of songs, marries it with splendid production and a consistent, yet powerful vocal performance. I can literally listen to his work over and over again and never grow tired of hearing it. Why Steve Tyrell is not on the lips of every music lover is beyond my perception. Buy this one. You can thank me later.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think it could get better, Nov. 23 2003
"lvinyard" (Edmond, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
than Steve's first CD, A New Standard, but this one is my new all-time favorite. The songs he chooses are already classics, yet his interpretation of them brings them to life in a way no other artist could. The combination of Steve's soulful, gravelly voice and the masterful skill of the musicians he records with, many of them legends in their own rights, makes for a CD that is filled with one masterpiece after another. The love he has for the songs he chooses as well as the respect he shows their writers is so evident, yet his refreshingly original take on each track makes them his own (just listen to "You'd be So Nice to Come Home To" to see what I mean). Thank you, Steve, for bringing back into fashion the classics that our nation's best writers, musicians and singers have contributed to the music world, and thank you for sharing the gift of your artistry...even my two-year old loves you!

5.0 out of 5 stars With a little help from his friend..., Nov. 12 2003
Julie Buerg (Petaluma, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
There simply is no such thing as a bad album from Steve Tyrell who has brought back so many of the songs I loved while growing up. He has a universal appeal to all ages -- maybe sex appeal, maybe happiness showing through, which is, in and of itself, very appealing. The music is magnificent and personal, as if he is singing it to you. Alas, I hope it won't change since just about the time the CD was released, his Stephanie lost her several-year battle with cancer and died in his arms. She was truly his partner, inspiration, and helped get him from producing records to singing, both of which he has done flawlessly. I have all of his CDs and hope he continues to make them but, more than that, hope he knows that so many of us will treasure what we have, until he is ready to make more music.
I would recommend that anyone get this album -- it's beautiful, wonderful, and truly a tribute to love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this CD!, April 30 2004
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
I first saw Steve Tyrell on the "Today" show doing an interview w/Katie Couric re: the death of his wife from colon cancer. While I was quite touched by his loss I was blown away by the snippets of music they aired of this CD.
I received it yesterday and I cannot tell you how many times I have played it ... over and over and over again. I rarely read who producers or arranges music on cd's, but I had to know, I love this cd that much. Kudos to all involved. This is one sexy cd. It reached that romantic part of me that we have all experienced in that first rush of new love, no matter what age you happen to be. It makes me feel happy, glowing, girlish.
I've purcahsed Rod Stewart's "All American Songbook"and Michael Buble's first cd and while they were both OK, I hardly listen to them. I've already put in my Amazon cart another of Steve TYrell's CD's. What a rush! BUY IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars With Style And Elegance, Steve Tyrell Leads The Way!, March 24 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
Steve Tyrell can really sing! With his latest release "This Guy's In Love", he demonstrates his musical prowess, as he effortlessly performs 14 complimentary selections, and leads the way back to the wonderful tunes from the Great American Songbook. His original interpretations of these classic songs breaths new-life into them, and once again validates the obvious; these beautifully written tunes are truly timeless. It is challenging to do justice to this music, but as always Steve has proven his musical worth and given us a great album to enjoy over and over again.
If you LOVE listening to GREAT CROONERS and BIG BAND SWING, I would also recommend, Monte Procopio "Swingin' With Style" CD. He is another great crooner that can really SWING and deserves a listen. Buy both these CDs, you can't go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing and Enchanting Voice, July 13 2004
Andreas S (Jakarta,Indonesia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
The first time I heard Steve Tyrell's music was on the internet radio. And since then I became one of his fans. It was October 2003, My dad bought this album for me and I was enjoying listen to this album 'till now. My favorite tune in this album is "This guy's in love", he re-arranged the living legend of easy listening composer, Burt Bacharach. In this album, steve's successfully re-arranged and sang all the songs with compassionate, soothing and enchanting voice that you will listen to it over and over again. This CD is highly recommended for those of you like some of these great vocalists such as Michael Buble, Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Dianna Krall and many other great vocalists. I guarantee you wouldn't regret it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb again, Nov. 15 2003
Ian Gunn (Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Guys In Love (Audio CD)
Yet again Steve Tyrell has produced another superb album. We first heard of Steve through a BBC Radio programme 'Parkinson' which is broadcast every Sunady morning in the UK.
We immediately liked his first album and quickly bought the scond which was released in the UK in February 2002. We had tickets to see Steve at the Nairn Jazz Festival in August 2002 but this was understandably cancelled because of his wife's illness.
We were very sorry to hear of his wife's untimely death recently. We hope to return to the USA soon and see Steve live. Meanwhile we will have the excellent new album to play again and again.
Ian & Catherine Gunn
Aberdeen
Scotland

This Guys In Love
This Guys In Love by Steve Tyrell (Audio CD - 2006)