5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Childhood Film!
"Return to Oz" is one of those rare movies that captures your heart and truly makes you believe in magic. To this day, it still hasn't let my heart go! This amazing, underrated film is a real Hollywood gem. Buy it, and you will surely treasure it forever.
Published on July 9 2004 by cherrymerrymuffins

1.0 out of 5 stars where is it?
I am a little bit more than annoyed
please get this to me ASAP
Published 16 months ago by TONY O

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Childhood Film!, July 9 2004
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
Of course, that depends on your expectations of this trip to Oz. Although there are no sugary sweet characters bouncing about singing and dancing, there is an abundance of subtle beauty in the ways of costume and set design. Instead of the cutesy munchkins and radiant Glinda, there are the horrible Wheelers and the pretty-yet-terrifying Princess Mombi. Additionally, there are some scenes (i.e. the Hall of Heads, the Deadly Desert, the Nome King Showdown, etc.) that may frighten young children (it scared me, but I love the movie nonetheless). The point is, like many movies, you'll enjoy "Return to Oz" if you go in open-minded and ready for anything. :)
This movie and the 1939 musical classic were produced by two different companies, with different budgets, different set managers, different actors, different screenwriters, and different directors. It just so happens that "The Wizard of Oz" was an enormous hit during the "Golden Age" of movies (esp. musicals) and has remained a family favorite ever since. Any follow up to such a successful movie is going to be criticized unless it is even better than the "original." A large number of fans enjoy "Return to Oz" so much because it parallels L. Frank Baum's original stories closer than the Judy Garland adaptation.
Please don't get me wrong--I adore each and every aspect of "The Wizard." I just like "Return to Oz" as well and feel it is worthy of a second glance/chance. Try it and see for yourself. I'm sure there will be something about it that you will never forget! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this, Sept. 29 2013
Bootsy Bass (Winnipeg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
I remember taking my kids to see this when it came out. n OZ story based more on the books than Judy Garlands OZ. Very good movie for OZ loving adults and any kid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enhanced for 16x9 with a nice picture, June 15 2013
Lafe Fredbjornson (Calgary, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
The Disney version with the cartoony cover offers a much-improved 16x9 enhanced transfer over the letterboxed original release from Anchor Bay. The picture is much clearer. I didn't see an upcoming Blu-ray announcement for this movie, so I went with the inexpensive upgrade of this version and wasn't disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to Oz, April 24 2013
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
I love this movie, but my DVD player, which is fairly new, was not able to play the entire movie. I had to channel it through a computer to see it all. I've never had that happen before, or since.

1.0 out of 5 stars where is it?, March 25 2013
this product
please get this to me ASAP

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalia, Dec 8 2009
A. M. Metner (MB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
I had watched this on CBC when I was a kid and my mom had videotaped it for me. I was obsessed with everything to do with the Wizard of Oz (the film with Judy Garland) and I think it was celebrating it's 40th anniversary (it was 1989). Anyway, it's a very imaginative story about what happens after Dorothy returns back to Kansas; no one believes her that she went anywhere and she has difficulty sleeping. Being around the turn of the 20th Century, Electricity is a cure-all, so she's taken to a Hospital for a procedure (I gather they were going to do an early form of electro-shock treatment). She escapes with a girl she meets there who keeps finding her and is transported back to Oz. Oz since she left has been in a bad state and it's up to her to go to the new leader, the Gnome King and bring back Scarecrow, the rightful leader of Oz.
It is very imaginative for kids to watch. I believe I was about 4 or 5 when I first saw it and I recently watched it with my husband, who found it to be really well done. It does have some scary scenes in it, but nothing violent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a sequel, July 24 2007
Dobbofam (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
Though it is thought otherwise, this film was not really intended to be a sequel but a whole new story of Oz and Dorothy. It is a much closer film adaption to the book than the original film because most of the characters such as the Wheelers and the Nome King that were left out of the first film were always part of the story of Oz despite what people say about them being made up. It is true that some of it is very dark so not for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars True and wonderful, June 12 2007
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
I really enjoyed this movie. Though it isn't really one of the many storys that Baum wrote they did stay true nontheless. The wheelers and the talking heads and the gnome king are all part of different books. And for the most part they even look likes the illustrations in the books. For story wise they did okay. I like that there was a bit of debth to the tale. And some of the things were true. The hen talking, and the objects being green and all that. I would really recomend this to anyone who is a fan of the books.

4.0 out of 5 stars kids movies are the pits these days..., Nov. 27 2004
Liam Ryan (Nunavut, Canada) - See all my reviews
This movie was one of the first i ever saw that really opened my eyes right off the bat and it never stopped. I guess i led a sheltered life, never being allowed to watch "scary" things, and i guess my parents figured a sequel to wizard of oz would be good for us, but it scared the dickens out of me, but in a really good way. The electro shock, the storm, the wheelers, the headless witch, and the incredibly imaginative, lunch pail trees, the waddling tock, the green room, this is a gem of a movie. seeing this movie will re awaken your childhood imagination.

3.0 out of 5 stars Scary . . . careful with kids, July 17 2004
Sarah Cooper "eclectic123" (Melbourne, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Oz (Bilingual) (DVD)
I haven't seen this DVD edition yet so I can't really comment on it, but I just wanted to put in one word about the movie. I saw it at age 5 or so when it was in the theaters, and it scared the stuffing out of me. There were a few parts that gave me nightmares and still make me shiver. It's probably not as bad as I've made it out to be, but do use caution letting younger kids watch this.

Return To Oz (Bilingual)
Return To Oz (Bilingual) by Walter Murch (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 11.98