Addressing the slippage first:
This mat does not "slip". I am a relatively built guy around 200 lbs, and I'll tell you - this mat doesn't slip. I have no idea how can this mat slip, on the ground or with your palms. Hot or normal yoga. I just don't get how or where all these complaints are coming from.
Yeah the FIRST time I used it, it had a BIT of slip when my...
Published on Nov. 25 2011 by K. Wong

2.0 out of 5 stars Slippery when wet!
I was so excited about this mat, however the description didn't mention that it requires 3 months of regular use to remove the factory coating. This means that in the meantime, even after I scrubbed it vigorously with sea salt as manduka recommended, it was slippery as hell. I actually flew off it in yoga class at one point. I wasn't doing hot yoga or power yoga either...
Published on April 28 2013 by Aurora

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mat! Doesn't slip! High quality materials, no smell, and an awesome purchase, Nov. 25 2011
K. Wong "Kellogs" (Calgary, AB CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manduka BM71 BlackMatPRO 71-Inch Yoga and Pilates Mat (Black) (Sports)
Addressing the slippage first:
Yeah the FIRST time I used it, it had a BIT of slip when my palms sweated up. But after about 10 uses the mat has broken in very nicely.
And yes..I am using it for yoga and hot yoga.

Well as for the review, here it is.

First of all, if you can get this on sale - do it! It is well worth the price.

Pros:
High quality material
No weird rubber smell
Great thickness
No slip
Gets better the more you use it
Works even in hot yoga

Cons:
Due to the thickness, it is quite thick when rolled up. It just barely gets into my lululemon namaste 2 bag. Is it heavy? Well that's subjective.
I don't find it heavy, but I am a guy and I sling it across my back when I travel with it.
Honestly though, I've found that I had to bring another gym bag to carry towel/water bottle/strap/block if I'm going for a long yoga class (especially if it's hot).

Note for hot yoga people: Seriously if you sweat puddles, no mat in the world will be able to provide a non slip surface for you.
Personally I'm not that sweaty, I've managed an entire hot yoga class without using a towel. But I bring one regardless and throw it on halfway sometimes. This issue really is a personal one as everyone sweats differently. Then again, maybe I have more grip on my palms because I have callouses all over em haha.

Overall: I give it 5 stars. Yeah sure it's thick, but that's what you get if you want a nice comfy durable mat. Anyways, if you can't be bothered to bring another bag for your stuff then well...look else where. There's no way you're going to get this sort of comfort/durability in a thin mat, it's just impossible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money's worth, Oct. 20 2011
Colin King "henk" (ON CA) - See all my reviews
I took my time deciding this expensive mat was what I needed, reading reviewers' reservations or encountered problems. After airing the new mat for a few days (no wiping) I used it for my most challenging yoga class - one hour power yoga with these results:
a)It stayed firmly in place on the polished solid wood floor;
b) My palms, fingers, soles and toes engaged the mat surface from start to finish with no noticeable slippage;
c) The new-product smell was noticeable but not disturbing;
d) There is firm cushioning, which reduced physical stress; and
e) At last being 74 inches tall didn't mean I have to constantly spill over onto the floor.
I think I made the right choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mat once broken in and this is how it did it, Sept. 16 2014
I love my blackmat, it have great cushioning without being squishy feeling giving you stability for balancing poses and I love the woven like texture on top. Its is a closed cell material so if you sweat a lot you will need to use a towel because it will not absorb the moisture like the open cell mats do but because its a closed cell mat, cleaning is a lot easier. The biggest concern I had was the break in period, I read a lot of reviews who just couldn't get that coating off their mat. So when I opened the mat the first time and got in downward dog I slid right off so I quickly did the reccomened water, sea salt and a stiff brush treatment on it which improved a little bit but not much. So I then mixed 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar with 30 drops of tea tree oil sprayed that on the sea salt on the mat and used a cloth instead of a brush and really scrubbed it and that did it! After that I stick down like crazy and when I do slide a little its because I need to clean the body oil off the mat which is easy to do with a much weaker water, vinegar and tea tree mixture and then its good again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Namaste, Dec 11 2012
Love it my knee doesn't hurt anymore, like with other mats ,mat doesn't stretch while doing downward dog,...a bit slippery at first but after a wash and a few yoga sessions,it.s perfect. Finally found the perfect yoga mat...

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Cadillack!, June 9 2013
Most amazing mat ever. My knees have been thanking me since I got it!
Extra length is great for someone my height 6'2" & the lifetime warranty is an added nonus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to your practice, Feb. 6 2012
I bought this mat to replace my lululemon "the mat" as I felt it was too short. It is much thicker and the extra length prevents constant moving to the middle of the mat. I found it a bit slipper at first and since I do Moksha (hot yoga) I also bought the equa towel. The two work very well together and the mat does not absorb much moisture unlike my lululemon the mat. Other than being heavy and the same colour as many other yogis at my studio I would have no reason not to recommend this mat to anyone that is taller or would like more space to practice. Nameste.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mat! Don't kid yourself though-- it does slip more than other mats., July 28 2013
Sanjay R - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
PROS: Very high quality, and thicker/denser than any other mat you'll find. Any joint issues I've had with my past yoga mat are pretty much gone after I used this mat. Also, the Manduka PRO mats have a lifetime warranty which is great to know. The length is perfect too-- I'm 6'3 and it's so nice to finally have a yoga mat that doesn't leave my feet or head dangling off the edge. No more re-adjusting to fit on the mat; this thing leaves plenty of room to move around on in comfort.

CONS: Compared to other brands like Jade or Lululemon, the fact is this mat IS at least more prone to slipping. I've talked to other Manduka mat owners in my classes and they all say the same thing. It's not an absolutely major issue, but it is kind of annoying to do a downward dog consciously have to make sure your feet don't slip rather than the pose feeling natural/having a good flow. I hardly sweat at all, which only adds to my surprise as to why Manduka's mats seem to be so much more slip-prone than other brands. And yes, I've tried the sea-salt scrub that Manduka suggests. Didn't seem to do much.

Overall it's certainly the best mat I've owned, despite the minor slipping issues. The density/thickness combined with the length and quality make it well-worth the high price tag. Plus, I'll be honest... when you spend $140 (shipping+taxes) on a yoga mat, you're more likely to practice yoga more because you've made a bit of an investment in it. As for the weight... if you're a guy, it shouldn't be an issue. If you're a girl, well... my 110lb girlfriend can lift it with ease, so don't get scared off by all the "OMG its the heaviest thing ever" reviews. A 10lb mat isn't THAT heavy, regardless of your gender-- some people just need to hit the gym instead of thinking that yoga is a substitute for weightlifting and cardio.

I have and would recommend this mat to others, especially tall people. It's the only piece of equipment needed for yoga (at least in my case), so I didn't mind spending $140 on it. Compared to the cost of other sports I play, the cost of this mat was a drop in the bucket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manduka BM71 BlackMatPRO 71-Inch Yoga and Pilates Mat (Black), Jan. 5 2012
I read the reviews for the Manduka, and was not sure about the purchase. But after using it a few times, I love the mat. Will never buy anything else. I guess you get what you pay for, and this mat is worth every penny. I love my mat and I can hold my poses longer. The thickness is great and dosen't hurt my knees at all. I will recomend this product to everyone looking to buy a new Yoga Mat

5.0 out of 5 stars The best investment other than time for your practice, Feb. 14 2014
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I have owned a number of workout mats over the years, and up until now my favourites were either by Gaiam or from Beachbody. I currently have 6 mats in the house from 4 different manufactures. When I asked for a $100 yoga mat for Christmas my wife thought I was a little nuts. But since I have spent over 150 hours practising yoga in the last 6 months I felt it was worth the investment. From all that I had heard the Manduka was the best of the best. I must admit I had very high expectations when I got this mat and it has exceeded them all. Diamond Dallas Page the creator of DDP Yoga only uses these mats and after using one for more than a month now I can see why.

On the Manduka site the specifications for this Mat are:
7.0 lbs; 71" long; 26" wide; 1/4" thick
9.0 lbs; 85" long; 26" wide; 1/4" thick
Great for Hot Yoga
Zero-waste, sustainable yoga mat
Backed by a Lifetime Guarantee
Superior wear and longevity
Comfortably cushions spine, hips, knees, and elbows on hard floors
Slip resistant, yet non-sticky, even when wet from light perspiration
Provides stability on hard or soft surfaces
Oeko-Tex certified, emissions-free manufacturing
100% latex free, and safe to use for people with latex sensitivities

I had originally asked for the Pro Lite but received the Pro, I was glad for this mix up. I was concerned about constantly carrying around the extra weight but the comfort more than makes up for it. My wife who wondered at spending $100 on a yoga mat, now complains when I take it to work for classes there, because it means it will not be at home for her to use. My only regret now is that I did not get the longer one, but maybe I will and pass mine on to my wife. I once heard Arthur Boorman asked in an interview if the Manduka was worth the price, he stated it was so good his son has asked that it be left to him in his will. I have also head others say you can pry the mat from my cold dead hands. DDP Yoga It Ain't Your Mama's Yoga and a Manduka Pro Ain't her Mat! It is the best dam mat on the planet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment, April 26 2013
Have now had this mat for about a month. So far very happy and would say although pricy it seems to be a good investment. Size is great, especially the extra couple inches of width vs my old mat, have found that especially helpful with shoulder stand and plow type position comfort. Density of the material is also very nice, feels nice and firm while still having good cushioning.

As to slipperiness, my experience is consistent with other reviews and the manufacturer website. I was definitely slipping a little during first use. Not enough to fall but enough that i had to regularly reposition hands and feet while in mid pose. As advertised, this got better each time i used the mat and after about 8 sessions i would say the grip was greatly improved such that i was no longer repositioning at all to keep hands/feet in place. I didn't do the extra step of scrubbing the mat with salt to speed up this process.

As to longevity and whether the mat will live up to its claim of being the last you ever need to buy, time will tell...

Manduka BM71  BlackMatPRO 71-Inch Yoga and Pilates Mat (Black)
CDN$ 112.00 CDN$ 102.69