Addressing the slippage first:
This mat does not "slip". I am a relatively built guy around 200 lbs, and I'll tell you - this mat doesn't slip. I have no idea how can this mat slip, on the ground or with your palms. Hot or normal yoga. I just don't get how or where all these complaints are coming from.
Yeah the FIRST time I used it, it had a BIT of slip when my...
Published on Nov. 25 2011 by K. Wong

3.0 out of 5 stars Too heavy.
Excellent quality, but far too heavy. Do not buy this mat unless you are leaving it at the studio or at home. Not portable.
Published 3 months ago by critic212243

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mat! Doesn't slip! High quality materials, no smell, and an awesome purchase, Nov. 25 2011
K. Wong "Kellogs" (Calgary, AB CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Manduka BM71 BlackMatPRO 71-Inch Yoga and Pilates Mat (Black) (Sports)
Addressing the slippage first:
Yeah the FIRST time I used it, it had a BIT of slip when my palms sweated up. But after about 10 uses the mat has broken in very nicely.
And yes..I am using it for yoga and hot yoga.

Well as for the review, here it is.

First of all, if you can get this on sale - do it! It is well worth the price.

Pros:
High quality material
No weird rubber smell
Great thickness
No slip
Gets better the more you use it
Works even in hot yoga

Cons:
Due to the thickness, it is quite thick when rolled up. It just barely gets into my lululemon namaste 2 bag. Is it heavy? Well that's subjective.
I don't find it heavy, but I am a guy and I sling it across my back when I travel with it.
Honestly though, I've found that I had to bring another gym bag to carry towel/water bottle/strap/block if I'm going for a long yoga class (especially if it's hot).

Note for hot yoga people: Seriously if you sweat puddles, no mat in the world will be able to provide a non slip surface for you.
Personally I'm not that sweaty, I've managed an entire hot yoga class without using a towel. But I bring one regardless and throw it on halfway sometimes. This issue really is a personal one as everyone sweats differently. Then again, maybe I have more grip on my palms because I have callouses all over em haha.

Overall: I give it 5 stars. Yeah sure it's thick, but that's what you get if you want a nice comfy durable mat. Anyways, if you can't be bothered to bring another bag for your stuff then well...look else where. There's no way you're going to get this sort of comfort/durability in a thin mat, it's just impossible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money's worth, Oct. 20 2011
Colin King "henk" (ON CA) - See all my reviews
I took my time deciding this expensive mat was what I needed, reading reviewers' reservations or encountered problems. After airing the new mat for a few days (no wiping) I used it for my most challenging yoga class - one hour power yoga with these results:
a)It stayed firmly in place on the polished solid wood floor;
b) My palms, fingers, soles and toes engaged the mat surface from start to finish with no noticeable slippage;
c) The new-product smell was noticeable but not disturbing;
d) There is firm cushioning, which reduced physical stress; and
e) At last being 74 inches tall didn't mean I have to constantly spill over onto the floor.
I think I made the right choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Namaste, Dec 11 2012
Love it my knee doesn't hurt anymore, like with other mats ,mat doesn't stretch while doing downward dog,...a bit slippery at first but after a wash and a few yoga sessions,it.s perfect. Finally found the perfect yoga mat...

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Cadillack!, June 9 2013
Most amazing mat ever. My knees have been thanking me since I got it!
Extra length is great for someone my height 6'2" & the lifetime warranty is an added nonus

5.0 out of 5 stars LOve it!!!, May 5 2013
It is true.... this mat is the best of all the mat...it is heavy....but you do get use to the weight and besides....i have the yoga bag (manduka bag mat) to carry the mat with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Mat Pro, Nov. 16 2012
I love my Black Mat pro. I found it sticky from the get go. There was a rubber smell when I unwrapped it, but after leaving it laid out for a couple days the smell was gone. It is heavy so some might find that a drawback if walking to class or for traveling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, April 7 2012
Before I purchased this yoga mat, I did some homework & found that Manduka was one of the better ones out there. I was glad that Amazon sold it. The shipping was very fast. The mat is awesome. I love using it. I feel great after my yoga sessions. Definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift Review, March 6 2012
I bought this as a gift and I think she really likes it. Shipping was super fast and I think it was a good deal. 2 thumbs up from this guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to your practice, Feb. 6 2012
I bought this mat to replace my lululemon "the mat" as I felt it was too short. It is much thicker and the extra length prevents constant moving to the middle of the mat. I found it a bit slipper at first and since I do Moksha (hot yoga) I also bought the equa towel. The two work very well together and the mat does not absorb much moisture unlike my lululemon the mat. Other than being heavy and the same colour as many other yogis at my studio I would have no reason not to recommend this mat to anyone that is taller or would like more space to practice. Nameste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mat, Feb. 6 2012
This is really the best mat I have ever used. I perspire a lot during Vinyasa flow, but this mat keeps me from slipping or sliding. I have been able to get into my poses more deeply without the fear of falling. I really like the density of it as well. It is thick, but not too spongy so doing balancing poses can be done on the mat instead of on the floor as I had been doing before. That being said, it is soft enough for the support you need for your knees or spine. I love the extra length and width. It gives a bit more space away from people around you in a busy class setting. I highly recommend this mat.

ARRAY(0xabbefa8c)

Manduka BM71  BlackMatPRO 71-Inch Yoga and Pilates Mat (Black)
CDN$ 110.00 CDN$ 100.00