5.0 out of 5 stars Overall: A+!! Great holiday album
Whitney's voice has matured and gained great depth and range. It is in terrific shape!! I have to admit that since I am not into x-mas music (I only know 2 of them), the album needed two listens to grow on me . Without further ado:
Published on Dec 26 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect!
Whitney's voice is still great, but the song mix, the style and polish you would expect from a superstar were just not there. I really feel like I just didn't get $15 bucks worth of music.
Published on Jan. 21 2004 by Russ on the Bus

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect!, Jan. 21 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars What's With the Bad Press?, Jan. 5 2004
Mark Dipzinski (Grand Rapids, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)
Okay, Whitney has had her share of bad press over the past couple of years. What has this got to do with her music? After listening to this holiday album, you'll know the answer to that is nothing. Does she carry the same flavor or style of singing since her debut album in 1985? For the most part, yes. The only thing that's changed about her singing is that she has developed her own style. When you listen to her latest album, you realize she has matured and more importantly, has the ability to make any song uniquely her own. Her vocals are still as smooth as silk and range as high as Everest. Admittedly, she can at times get a little carried away with the melisatics. But compared to Christina Aguilera, Whitney is a traditionalist. I applaud her continued efforts and showing the critics she is here to stay for years to come. Compared to many of the fly by night performers out there, Houston has been well established now for 19 years. Music styles may change but this is one vocalist whose legacy will continue for generations like Aretha Franklin, Nancy Wilson & Ella Fitzgerald. You need to add her Christmas album to your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall: A+!! Great holiday album, Dec 26 2003
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)
- The First Noel: When I listened to the sample I thought her voice was a bit airy, but now listening to the real deal, it is in great shape. The song is great, her delivery is great, and the music is good, (A)
- The Christmas Song: Great voice, well produced, and I loved the high note (flyyyyyy)... makes me wish for snow!! (A)
- Little Drummer Boy: Bobby Krista.. CUTE!! ... Whitney with all the tenderness in the world "sing baby... that's my baby".. I liked how the music picked up, and her voice is also in great shape!! (A)
- One Wish: The song started good, but then I lost total interest when she hit the chorus,, as several pointed out, the chorus needed some work, nonetheless her voice is very generous and the message is noble (B).
- O Holly Night: Faaaaalllll... Oh God the way she hit that note gave me the chills... this should be released as a special single "how to sing" sent to all those "singers" out there.
- I'll be home for x-mas: Something about the music I don't like, but otherwise the song sounds good, her voice is good, but I think the rest of the album overshadows this one. (B+).
- Deck The Halls/Silent Night: Amazingly, I LOVE this mix!!! Very nice, very energetic, nontheless, Whitney did hit those notes like nobody's business,,, sing it girl! (A)
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas: Talk about a timeless classic!! Good voice, but I thought the music was a bit loud at parts (i.e. her voice maybe should have been mixed a bit lowder). (A-).
- O Come Emanuel: OH MY GOD!! OH MY GOD!! This is the one, Amazing song!! Amazing voice!! and God knows that with no music she sounds legendary!! I loved the vocal runs and the falesto, Very HAUNTING can I add?? (A+).
Overall: A+!! Great holiday album, I see nonfans enjoying this as I did and probably even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect addition to my Christmas collection, Dec 23 2003
senga6 (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful album from Whitney Houston, better than I expected. She imparts most of the songs with soul and feeling; she sings Christmas as it should be sung. She's not just bleating the songs out, like Ashanti. Generally, the arrangements and production are also fresh and impeccable. The strongest tracks are the more gospel-influcend songs, like "O Come O Come Emanuel", "Joy to the World", and "I'll be Home For Christmas." The zippy medley "Deck the Halls/Silent Night" also works, surprisingly, as does the original ballad "One Wish." Her best offering, though is "O Holy Night", a song that needs a VOICE to do it justice, and I think Whitney fits the bill beautifully.
On the negative side, I didn't care for "Little Drummer Boy" (the cheesy addition of non-singing Bobbi Kristina is a mistake). "The Christmas Song" is also not so great. She adds nothing to a song that has been attempted by many and mastered by few. Throughout the album, too, excessive "riffs" which seem to include intolerable mangling of classic lyrics and proper grammer, only serve to irritate. There are too may examples to name.
Overall, I think this is one of the better Christmas albums out there, and one of the best this year, from what I've heard. I'll admit that it doesn't trump Mariah's classic, but it's still stirring and highly "listenable." Four stars. Nicely done.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my 5 favorite Christmas albums, Dec 23 2003
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)
Anyone under the impression that Whitney Houston was washed up and over with needs to hear this album. It is a true testament of why she is one of the most influential R&B singers of our time. This album ranks up there with Boyz II Men's "Christmas Interpretations" and Mariah Carey's "Merry Christmas" albums. Whitney didn't just pick the typical "poppy" Christmas songs to record, she also chose the traditional songs. Such as "The First Noel," "O Come O Come Emanuel" and "Cantique de Nvel (Oh Holy Night)." One of my favorites has to be the stirring rendition of "O Come O Come Emanuel" that sounds like the group Take 6 was backing her up. The single released from the album "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" may be misleading to some because she's not singing at her full register, but the other songs on the album find her belting out the notes like the Whitney Houston we're used to. She even gets a little bit of help from daughter Bobbi Christina on "Little Drummer Boy" and surprisingly the little girl doesn't sound half bad. Whitney then takes you to church at the end of the CD with "Joy To The World." I got goosebumps when I first heard it. This is one of those albums that will go down as a classic, and if you're a collector of holiday music this is one that HAS to become a part of your collection. It sure has for me, and will be one of the only Christmas albums I'll be listening to this season.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my 5 favorite Christmas albums, Dec 22 2003
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Is The Quintessential Sanger(NOT SINGER) of Her Time, Dec 16 2003
MVD (BALTIMORE, MARYLAND United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)
No matter what you think of her. She is one of the greatest voices of all time. No one else that I have heard can SANG as many standards as she, can so poignant, pronouncing every syllable so clearly yet effortlessly with power and compassion.(ex. Oh Emanuel. God Bless her she sends chills through my body and I really can't think of another artist who can do this maybe old school Aretha. But God knows he surely put some powerful cords in that petite frame of her's. And I can't think of anyone else who can honestly touch her to put it honestly and frankly (not even Mariah) yea Mariah she can hit some high notes but sanging with the depth, power and passion that Whitney does is all together a different story. And I think it is credible coming from me because I don't review music based on my personal likes or dislikes of someone's personal life. I will say one thing I hope Bobby will take a GOOD Look at what he has next to him and wake up to a new day, BECAUSE WHITNEY HOUSTON IS ONE SANGIN B......(And I mean that with the UTMOST RESPECT but I got to keep it real. WE LUV U WHITNEY. PLEASE, SANG IT FOR ME BABY GIRL. I'M OUT..........JUST LISTEN TO OH EMANUEL and turn it up real loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album for the Holidays and more!, Dec 14 2003
N. Rimawi "kewlnim" (Hoboken, NJ) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Effort by a Great Singer, Dec 13 2003
Randy Brooks (Baltimore, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)
Recently Whitney Houston has recieved more attention for her personal life and turbulent marriage than for the release of her two latest CD's Just Whitney and the One Wish Holiday Album (which debuted at #58 ?!?!?!) I closed my eyes and put this CD in my CD player to grasp the emotion in her voice and the surrounding music without focusing on WHITNEY HOUSTON. The first track THE FIRST NOEL is the albums best. The vocals and simplicity of the production really make the beauty of the carol come through, but to the above average vocal listener . . . We notice that Whitney is struggling with her upper register (her higher full voice range) It's coming across throaty which for someone like Mary J Blige would add character and emotion to the voice. Because we are so use to Whitney's crystal clear belting, its a little disheartning. The next track . . . The Christmas Song is very nicely done . . . with a few grammatical errors (Everybody's mothers child is going to spy. . . .)The little drummer boy couldve have survived without her daughter but it is a nice thought anyway. Cantique De Noel/ O Holy Night is very beautifully done however . . . when you hold it up to Mariah's 1994 and Celine's 1998 and Christina Aguilera's 2000 versions . . . its very flat. Now thats not really fair since each of those vocalists were at the top of their vocal game (at those times respectavely) The rest of the album is pretty standard Whitney Houston Christmas Carols two songs stand out I'll be home for christmas (she sings this over an electronic keyboard no other instruments and it sounds wonderful wonderful wonderful --- even though there is struggling to get up in her higher range) O Come Emanuel is nicely done especially the last run/riff. I am pissed they included two songs from the 1996 Preachers Wife soundtrack because that made it in total only 9 new songs recorded for the album. Overall even though i seem overly critical in the review this is a Good Chrsitmas Album . . . we just expect Great work from Whitney Houston.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE WISH..IS THE BEST I'VE EVER HEARD!, Dec 11 2003
This review is from: One Wish - The Holiday Album (Audio CD)
1.) The First Noel- What can I say this is Whitney Houston first track listening on her amazing album "One Wish"...The arrangements her voice is just great on this song! Definately one of my favorites!
2.) The Christmas Song- Another beautiful traditional Christmas song Whitney Houston's with such heart, such soul...Whitney sing like no tommorrow on this one.
3.) Little Drummer Boy- Another one of my favorites I love how her sweet little daughter is on this track...Its so cute how she sings...Then Whitney takes over from where she left off its very beautifully done...The best version of "Little Drummer Boy" ever!
4.) One Wish- "One Wish" is the album title, and a new Christmas track that will soon me a classic played at ever Christmas event, and party...The song is simply sweet, and refreshing. It basically get you in the Christmas spirit!
5.)O Holy Night- I can say one word for this song "AMAZING"...Whitney Houston basically showed out on "O Holy Night" this is one of my favorite of all here now...I swear the hairs on my neck stood up when Whitney was singing...Whitney was working hard on this one, and it works its "GREAT" a killer version of "O Holy Night"!
6.) I'll Be Home For Christmas-Very good I like how deep Whitney voice was on this track...
7.) Deck The Halls/Silent Night- Now this is a great medley Whitney did a great job on this track the flavor and groove will have you rocking the spirit of christmas in your house.
8.) Have Your Self A Merry Christmas- I like this Whitney voice was good everything about this track was beautiful.
9.) O Come O come Emanuel- This song is totally amazing I've listen to it over and over again...Whitney sings the heck out of this song!
10.) Who Would Imagine A King- Beautiful song sung by a beautiful lady of song Whitney Houston...I love hearing her daughter little line at the end of the song very sweet and cute!
11.) Joy To The World- Okay lets get this out Nobody can sing "Joy To The World" anymore after hearing Whitney SANG IT. Whitney tore this song up with the Choir backing her up! You Go WHITNEY!
"One Wish" the holiday album is definately the Best Christmas album, I've heard in along time. Congrats Whitney on a good Job!

One Wish - The Holiday Album
One Wish - The Holiday Album by Whitney Houston (Audio CD - 2003)
Click for more info