5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best of the best
Published on Oct. 31 2003 by Daniel S. Russell

1.0 out of 5 stars Do "NOT" Buy This Version...!!!
Published on Dec 26 2005 by stryper

1.0 out of 5 stars Do "NOT" Buy This Version...!!!, Dec 26 2005
stryper "stryper" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Granted, the sharpness of the picture is better then the VCI version, but there are persistent, light white scratches, that appear horizontally across the middle of the screen for great amounts of time, usually right across someone's face, that are so annoyingly distracting that watching this version is not much fun (it's kind of almost as bad as watching a cheap DVD that has a line going vertically, through the it for a nice chunk of time).
I checked out two different copies of this DVD and tried them on two different DVD players, to make sure that the scratches had nothing to do with my equipment.
The VCI version is the one to get, as though the picture may be a tad softer, there are no annoying scratches on the print (and until I actually did a side by side comparison of the two, I didn't even notice the VCI version being at all, soft)
Also, the booklet that comes with this new version has nothing of any importance, what so ever, where as the liner notes on the VCI DVD are way more informative.
The only thing that this version does have over the VCI version is the inclusion of an unremastered trailer (which isn't really all that great, as trailers go, anyway).
Hope this helps :)

1.0 out of 5 stars HOPE FOR A BETTER RELEASE, Dec 27 2005
I own various dvds of this DEFINITIVE production, naturally i was so excited to see a restored version of this movie. However, this EMERALD EDITION dvd is a HUGE dissapointment. The booklet claims the dvd was created from 7 different prints. That would explain why specks come and go, lines (film scrapes) appear for some scenes, sound changes through out (hissing comes and goes), and worst, imo, the tint changes when Marleys ghost enters the room (turns slightly greenish) All of this is very annoying. Keep your VCI version for now, and hope for a proper restoration by someone like CRITERION.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this DVD!, Jan. 24 2006
F. Bruni (North York, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
A Christmas Carol: Emerald Edition is a very disappointing release. A restoration should be pristine or as close to it as possible. This release is not even as good as previous releases. A waste of time and money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Emerald Edition suffers same malady as the DVD edition., Dec 10 2009
This review is from: A Christmas Carol [Blu-ray] (DVD)
I was sent this version, the Emerald Edition, of the Blu-ray releases by error. Amazon has refunded my money and boy am I glad. This version is exactly the same as the DVD version of the Emerald edition, scratchy in some scenes, blurry in others, green tint, and hissing and popping sound. It would be one thing if they took an entire scene from ONE bit of stock footage, but when the hissing comes and goes during a scene (like in the scene where Scrooge and Marley meet for the first time) and the picture changes, it's just not enjoyable. It might be forgivable and that's a very slim "might", if it only occurred during scene changes, but it doesn't and the Emerald edition is very annoying to watch. I was more than sorry when I bought the DVD and when Amazon sent me this version of the Blu-ray by mistake I was very disappointed. I popped it in my blu-ray player because the version I bought was supposed to be subtitled and when I discovered this one wasn't that is when I realized there must have been an error in shipping. If you want to purchase this movie in blu-ray I urge you to purchase the other blu-ray version they have listed. I finally got that one which is the one I had originally ordered and it is outstanding! I would rate the other version A Christmas Carol [Blu-ray] well more than five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best of the best, Oct. 31 2003
Daniel S. Russell "syzygy121" (Blacksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I consider myself a student of "A Christmas Carol" of sorts, having sought down and seen or heard every version I know of. This tale is the most retold, in part or in whole, of any piece of literature outside of the Bible and Shakespeare. It has appeared in at least 25 film/animated versions, has been adapted to countless TV shows, and has been referenced even more than that.
Alastair Sim's Scrooge is among the very best portrayals, and the film on the whole is the best film version I've seen. I am reviewing the other versions individually, so I won't rehash them here, but this one is the best and my favorite film version.
Give me this one along with Patrick Stewart's solo performance and I'd be a very happy camper.
I've even grown fond of the errors in the film, like the stage hand that appears in the mirror reflection on Christmas morning.
A tremendous cast and a wonderful atmospheric quality make this film so memorable and re-watchable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colouring a Classic, Dec 31 2006
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Christmas Carol, A - Colour (DVD)
We watch "A Christmas Carol" every Christmas eve. I decided to buy this version even though, for the most part, I don't like the idea of colourizing black and white films. In this case, however, the colourized version transformed the film in only positive ways. The classic black and white film is hard to see due to the age of the film and this colourized version lights up the film and I felt like I was 'seeing' the film for the first time. Good heaven's I could see the chain around the waist of Marley's ghost! I could see the patterns on the wallpaper and curtains. Sim's portrayal of Scrooge is the benchmark and it was wonderful to see that performance afresh. So, don't hesitate to try this version even if you - like me - don't usually like them fiddling with classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent release, Dec 24 2011
Norman Wolf (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
Before the bluray came out, I had the 50th Anniversary "Emerald Edition" dvd with the UK version "Scrooge" as well as the US version, both restored from the best copies of the film then available, including some restored scenes that had been missing. There were only a few glitches in the movie, including a brief pause in one or two places.

The new bluray release is even better, taking advantage of the restored 35mm print, and adding subtitles (a lack in the dvd release) and a 5.1 track for those who prefer that to the original mono audio.

I didn't see any of the problems Badgley described, and I wonder what player he was using for playback. I use a Samsung bluray player that is a few years old now but doing well. The price is excellent too. I got it for 11.20 US+4.98 shipping, or 16.18 US. You can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Movie is No HUMBUG!!, Dec 3 2003
Stephen Pletko "Uncle Stevie" (London, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
=====>
Many people know this story written in 1843 by Charles Dickens (1812-1870). Old Ebenezer Scrooge, the meanest miser in London, overworks and underpays his clerk, Bob Cratchit, whose small son, Tiny Tim, is crippled and may soon die. On Christmas Eve, Scrooge has a vivid nightmare. He is visited by three ghosts who change his life forever.
This 1951 movie (originally filmed in black and white) that's about 88 minutes long is entitled (as the movie's opening credits indicate and despite what the DVD package states) "Scrooge in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol."
Of all similar movies made, this one stays closest to Dickens' original story. You can see this right at the beginning of the movie where we are shown a cover page from a manuscript that's written in Old English font. On this page it says: "Stave I: Marley's Ghost." Dickens divided his "Carol" into musical staves rather than chapters. Then the narrator utters one of the most famous sentences in English literature: "Old Marley was as dead as a doornail." The story then unfolds from this point on.
What really makes this story come alive (and makes the movie a classic) is Alastair Sim's performance as Scrooge (not to mention the fine supporting performances). It seems that Sim's Scrooge is not so much haunted by actual ghosts as tormented by inner demons; the ghosts are "analysts" who force him to confront his traumatic self. Once this confrontation is complete, we see Scrooge's monumental transformation into joy. (It's this transformation that Sim the actor does so well.) The emotional impact of his delirium of joy is actually cathartic for the movie viewer as well, filling the viewer with good feelings.
It should be mentioned that it's important to view this movie in black and white because this seems to aid the powerful emotional impact of Scrooge's (as played by Sim) transformation into joy. For some reason, this impact is lost when the movie is in color.
The strong background music for this movie seems to add to each scene. As well, the sets are visually stunning. They spread before us a vivid picture of nineteenth century London.
One of my favorite scenes in the movie occurs after Scrooge's transformation. He visits his nephew Fred's home where a party is underway. This scene also has great emotional impact on the movie viewer. We also get to see Scrooge's (as well as Sim's) polka dancing talent.
In conclusion, be sure to see this magical movie. By doing so, the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Yet To Come will cast their powerful spell on you also!!
<=====>

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, Dec 10 2004
M. Bentt "Bookish Baba" (EDMONTON, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
Viewing this particular version is a tradition in our family--my earliest memories include watching this at my grandparents' home in the 'big city' (they had a tv--we lived on a farm & had no tv). One of the interesting things is that my grandparents were Ukrainian immigrants who did indeed prosper in Canada, but never forgot their humble beginnings. Their home was always filled with scents of good food, laughter, song, and lively conversation. Christmas was a very important time for family & friends, and they did indeed 'keep Christmas well', one of the lessons I have since learned. This film has not lost its relevance in this 21st century world. While the special effects in the 1951 version may seem very simple to many, relative to the period, the film was well-done. "God bless us, everyone".

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrooge at his Worst, Dec 26 2006
This review is from: Christmas Carol, A - Colour (DVD)
Scrooge is mean and has no compassion and Alastair Sim does a remarkable job portraying those qualities. In my opinion (and I'm an avid Christmas Carol fan...movies and book editions) he is the best Ebeneezer. This movie has become a yearly Christmas tradition for my family and will be for many years to come. Whether it's in black and white or colourized, it's equally captivating.

Christmas Carol, A - Colour
Christmas Carol, A - Colour by DVD (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 19.99