5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Blaming Canada, This CD ROCKS!!!
Published on Jan. 24 2004 by Heidi Bautista

2.0 out of 5 stars WEAK�VERY WEAK!
Damn...this album is weak and this is coming from a Swollen Members Fan. First off, Mad Child and Prevail are the only two real SM. Moka Only has his own style and it doesn't work out with MC or Prevail. He comes off to soft. As for Rob the Viking, his beats aren't dark enough and I rather have a collaboration of DJs, instead of their own.
There are only a couple...
Published on Nov. 27 2003 by vinny

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Blaming Canada, This CD ROCKS!!!, Jan. 24 2004
This review is from: Heavy (Audio CD)
For those of you bashing Canada and its music need to sit and think for a bit. I am a fan of this group and have been from the beginning and I forget who said the following quote: "This is yet another reason why we should ban music made by Canadians. We need to remove the hat worn by the United States by any means necessary. ", but they need to get a lobodymy. I'm proud of our Canadian artists including SM and I have to say that some of the stuff coming from the States hasn't been good either. So before you make a comment about one country, you need to look at your own first.
Now for my review, I really liked this album and all the songs on it. I too liked all the prank calling they do between songs especially the one at the end, I crack up every time I hear it, the hidden track is good too. There is a mixture of music which gives it a good feel. The DVD that comes with the album is great too. I love the behind the scenes stuff they have and the vids, though I am a bit upset that they didn't include the vid for "Watch This". With all that said, I HIGHLY recommend this disc to everyone, even those who aren't true SM fans like me

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Blaming Canada, This CD ROCKS!!!, Jan. 24 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Going to the mainstream, Jan. 4 2004
This review is from: Heavy (With Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
Swollen Members are one of the strongest rap groups out there today, coming up with original beats and deliciously dark rhymes to go along. "Heavy", the group's fourth album, continues to deliver for the band. They are making strives, albeit perhaps not in the right direction. This album is full of more eclectic beats, some with a more distinctive latin feel to them, and the lyrics seem to be much more radio-friendly, much more mainstream. Not that I blame these guys, because they have to be considered one of the hardest working groups in all of music with the constant touring and four strong albums in only a few years, so they deserve everything they have worked so hard to earn. But I have to admit that I miss the darkness that was so enjoyable on "Balance" and "Bad Dreams". Aside from that, this is a very good rap album, destroying everything else that is out there today.
I like the addition of Moka Only as a full-time member of the group, because he adds another distinct voice to the group, and he is an excellent rapper as well as engineer of the choruses. I am still most impressed with Mad Child, his lyrics can be as thoughtful as they are harsh and realistic.
I hope the Members continue their torrid recording pace, because I always love hearing their new material, because they are a band that manages to grow along with staying with the roots that got them to where they are today.

1.0 out of 5 stars MAINTAIN THE ARTFORM, Dec 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Heavy (Audio CD)
FIRST OFF THIS IS A BLACKHOLE 0 stars had to put 1 to get this trough.this is straight up to you, the ones involved in this, in this rape. where there's a will there's a way. i guess you marked your will. ya'll cats went from holding mics to holding T.V.s. basically how long it takes to get the message off of this record...about a couple of seconds. they say talk is cheap with such subject matter your albums worth a solid lincoln meanin its thaw (thought). yo lmno you need to get out of this , kids named madchild ever seen exorcist it's a cycle same worn cloth over and over makin your head spin ,, i rather nod. now evidence what were you thinkin kid even in cochrans hands this wouldnt (beat!!!) the case. you know your way around, this once yous a tourist without watch and map (WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME) "YOU SAY YOU STAYIN RICH IM CLAIMIN BROKE" = = "POCKETS PHAT" KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOUR GAMEBOY INSTEAD OF THE ART WITH ALL THIS CONTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DONT CARE ABOUT SWOLLEN MEMBERS BUT ILL SAY THIS CONTINUE TAKIN THEM STEROIDS YALL (JOCKS!!!!!!!!!) IS GOIN VARSITY . 1239456

2.0 out of 5 stars WEAK�VERY WEAK!, Nov. 27 2003
This review is from: Heavy (Audio CD)
There are only a couple of tracks with hard-hitting beats on "Heavy": Watch This, Bottom Line, Therapy, and Don't Know Why. As for all the other beats, they sound weak and too much like HIP-POP. As for the lyric content on this album, it was also weak. I bet that, not a lot of time was spent on it as compare to their older album. Prevail still have his lyric content (words are still there, but his voice is coming off to soft). Mad Child been slacking at it, you need better word play.
If you want to listen to a mainstream album, go get 50 Cent's album instead, since it has better production. Let's get back to the dark D&D rhymes. Save your money unless you're a SM fan, other than that go buy their older album "Balance" or "Bad Dreams".
As of right now, I won't be listening to Heavy anymore, but instead Balance.
Lady Venom - Mad Child
"Few and far between from Beauty and the Beast
To a perfect combination, once this passion is unleashed
Golden Angel, precious Princess and since
This is more than just lust, trust if not now, then soon
One love, we'll have our chance to dance on the moon"

2.0 out of 5 stars swollen heads, Nov. 24 2003
eric smith (Pittsburgh,PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heavy (Audio CD)
First off I would just like to say that I am a fan of swollen members. I honestly like them, I just wish I could say the same for thier new album. To me they are real hip hop and they cover alot of different spectrums of hip hop which is really hard to find today.The album though does not showcase what made them swollen members. First the production on the album is way weak. I am very dissappointed with the work of Evidence(dilated peoples), Rob the viking and Nucleas etc.... For example "remember the name" which was produced by evidence reminds me of some one elses style mmmmmm.... pharell?? There is nothing innovative or uniuqe in the production. Now the lyrics, Mad child is still on point with the way he stacks words like legos and moka is still inovative. Prevail changed his style for the worst. He is not as aggressive with his deliverey and he sounds like a thousand other rappers. Look all and all this album comes down to money. I quote Moka Only as to saying "I'm done with rap, now its time to cash in" and Mad Child as to saying "mad child talkn bout cash son of a *****, I was just broke before lifes better when your rich". I think they have changed there style to gear towards the American mainstream because thats where the money is at. I'll be looking for them on MTV soon, especially after they just signed a new disribution deal with virgin records. So if you want an album with senseless lyrics and recycled beats then this is for you. Otherwise I don't suggest it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Members Lay It Down Again, Nov. 22 2003
"scourgethetracker" (Albuquerque, New Mexico United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heavy (Audio CD)
Electrofunkchild must have been drunk when he was listening to this cd. In response to his comments people need to realize and understand that the evolution of recording artists in the music industry is very simple. Once a group or artist makes a name for themselves, their music, especially production, becomes more and more commercialized. Maybe it is because they can afford better production or current production just gets better. The only way to tell is from analyzing cd to cd. This is a strait fact. This is the case with everybody from 50 Cent to Pharrell to even Jay-Z. I mean, you have to start from somewhere, right. Saying that mainstream artists, like the ones previously mentioned, it is ridiculous to say that they have better lyrics. However, Heavy has conclusive evidence that the Swollen Members may be gradually evolving commercially. As far as the music is concerned this is probably their best one because the production has peaked on this album. The lyrics are great and the beats are intense and innovative. Who does not like these elements in a cd. Battle Axe fans this is another no brainer.

1.0 out of 5 stars how the mighty have fallen...., Nov. 19 2003
This review is from: Heavy (Audio CD)
WHAT A LET DOWN. This is quite possibly the WORST album I have EVER heard! I USED to be, and i stress USED to be a Swollen fan.... I cannot help but think of the South Park musical "Blame Canada" after listening to this rubbish. Granted Bad Dreams and Balance were great albums, both with hot beats and lots of cool themed songs such as "anthrax island" "bad dreams" and "deep end". With this album Prevail reprises his role as the weakest/nerdiest/gayest sounding black man in the northern hemisphere, while his saltine-looking partner Madchild does his usual best of putting on the mean act while trying to sound like the meanest latino out of East LA. Honestly, you might as well go buy the new Chingy or G-Unit albums because I think even those albums would have deeper lyrical content than this piece of turd. If you want to hear Madchild and Prevail rap about all their riches, cars and women over beats that sound like 2nd Generation Timbaland trash, this album is for you. All I can say is BLAME CANADA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Swollen Members CD Yet, Nov. 14 2003
This review is from: Heavy (With Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
This CD is great! I have been a Swollen fan ever since Balance. I have all 4 of their CD's (Balance, Bad Dreams, Mosters In The Closet, and Heavy) and this new one is some of their best work yet. This album has 14 of the illest beats I've ever heard, sweet lyrics, and fat bass. The beats are somewhat different than their previous ones, but they are still great. Their lyrics are as good as ever and the addition of Moka Only has helped them out a lot in terms of his writing/singing abilities. Compared to Balance and Bad Dreams there are very few other rappers featured on this CD, but now that they have made more of a name for themselves, Swollen doesn't need to feature as many other rappers. However, the album does have Evidence, Abstract Rude, and Son Doobie. The Bonus DVD has some sweet backstage and live footage, interviews, and 6 kick-ass music videos. This is a must buy for any Swollen Members fan, or anyone else who wants to get into the stuff that Battle Axe Records has put out. Check out [...] for more info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, Dec 31 2003
J.B (mineapolis MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heavy (Audio CD)
Although a far cry from older swollen stuff, heavy brings bangers and raw hip-hop tracks in this album, far more radio friendly than balance or bad-dreams. however they continue to solidify themselves as the top hip-hop crew in the underground in this album. Mad-Child cuts on point in every track with lyrics that set him atop the game. an obvious prequal to whats going to be a huge hit with there next album, realeased with Virgin records this time, the members truely don't clown around. Chalk em up for some more juno's, and hopefully some serious american hype to. if heavy doesn't blow up here like it deserves, with Virgins money behind their next album they'll take over the Main-stream american market next year. someone let fifty cent and eminem know they might as well look for jobs at the drive through because once real talent hits the market they'll be has-beens.

Heavy (With Bonus DVD)
Heavy (With Bonus DVD) by Swollen Members (Audio CD - 2006)