5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good.
I recently got Mac 10.3 Panther and so far everything good that has been said about it is true. In my G4 iMac, it has worked without problem. While I had to take a little time to get used to it's different interface, in the end, has been a breeze to operate.
Published on April 6 2004 by Joseph J. Kaminski

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for every user - Difficult Install
Personally, I found that this was a trying experience from the beginning. First off, few stores even carry Mac software, so that even locating the package is difficult. Thankfully there are on-line opportunities like Amazon to fulfill the dream.
Published on Dec 15 2003 by EgusHdus

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good., April 6 2004
Joseph J. Kaminski (Hammond, In United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
I have had no problems in the stability of the system. Finally, Apple got it right and you can still work on your other programs and not have to restart your computer. This is a real boon to people, like myself, who are not computer geeks.
After having Macs for 10 years and 4 operaring systems, I can finally say that Apple has an operating system that beats Windows on every front. I hope the rest of the world never finds out. I would hate for Bill Gates to mess it up for the rest of us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for every user - Difficult Install, Dec 15 2003
EgusHdus (Hua Hin, Thailand USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
Physically installing this product was an even greater difficulty. I could not find this in a 3.5" format and had to upgrade my PC in order to be able to run the CD. After re-booting, I found that the CD was not mounted and that the software could not be recognized. I spent numerous hours on the phone with Apple Tech support, only to determine that the system requirements were not fully explained in the promotional literature. This upgrade requires an extremely fast processor, at least 512 Mb memory, minimum 40 Gb hard drive. In fact, the system architecture and operating system are completely different! Who knew? I can tell you it is not recommended for the typical Win 98 or Win 2000 customer.
This is probably much better suited to the owner of a new XP machine with the latest in video & IO features.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiger Instead - New Mac - New Operating System, April 12 2005
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
I guess if you needed Panther now you would buy it, but if you're not in a hurry, pre-order the Tiger Operating System (Available April 29th). It may even be cheaper than Panther, currently at $149CDN.
I got Panther with my new iMac, and I like it, but Tiger has a few features I would use every day:
1. Widgets - I played with Konfabulator and loved it.
2. Spotlight - will really simplify finding old docs, emails, etc.
3. QuickTime 7 - I'm a big fan and can't wait to see the improvements.
4. TextEdit - there are some new improvements that I've been waiting for sometime, including saving documents in HTML format.
Looking back and comparing it to my old machine with the Jaguar Operating System, the things that made a big impression were not necessarily to do with Pather improvements, I think it was more to dow with the new iMac itself and the prepackaged software. With Tiger, I can see there's lots for me take advantage of.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best OS I have ever experienced!!!, July 12 2004
Super Awesome OS !!! AAAAAAAAAAA+++++++

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid update!, June 22 2004
A.L. "theravenal" (Barre, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
Solid update, has a lot of nice little changes. However I don't like that you have to pay for it when you've already bought the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as Butter, June 12 2004
rapsule (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
Although I was familiar with 10.2 from using other computers, I still had Classic on mine and have been so in heaven since upgrading to Panther. It's like a calm wave has washed over my whole experience of my G4. I've been a Mac user for over 15 years and wished for many little improvements over time. With Panther, all of these have been accomplished, and more. Essentially, this OS has taken the (few) superior things Windows had (such as the dock and a more accessible finder), kept the good Mac things, and added an overall fluidity, pleasing aesthetic, and ease-of-use.
There are certain improvements besides those mentioned that make the upgrade to Panther a no-brainer. The most noticeable and helpful of these for me is the improved partitioning between programs, i.e. when you're experiencing a problem with one application, it does not effect the others. So, I can keep working in Word and Mail, for instance, even when my browser crashes (as they are apt to do). Speaking of browser crashes, I experience far fewer with Apple's Safari (that comes with Panther) than I previously did with Explorer. Besides less bugs, it's more streamlined and basically nicer to use than the others.
The other native programs are equally user-friendly and actually quite useful. iCal is the coolest; it lets you subscribe to various calendars from anyone who publishes them (like friends' agendas, company schedules, the many available on icalshare.com, etc.) iPhoto, Address Book, and iTunes are also each very good at what they do.
All in all, Panther has significantly enhanced my productivity and enjoyment of my computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars best OS yet (4.5 stars), June 1 2004
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
Well worth the money. make sure you install on a clean system (erase and install) for best results. If you're using OS9 or jaguar (10.2) now, you'll appreciate the huge difference panther makes.
Half-star deduction for silly name and logo...

3.0 out of 5 stars kernel panic, May 25 2004
William F. Long (St. Charles, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
There's not much mention of kernel panic in previous reviews, but it has become a regular part of my life using OS X. It only occurs on start up, and I usually have to restart only once to get rid of it. For a while I thought Panther was a little better than earlier versions of OS X, but lately I'm not so sure. I've also had the "spinning beach ball o' death" show up several times while I was using the computer. Yes, I've scanned my hard drive and No, I never had any problems using system 9 with the very same hardware.
The bottom line is, you're going to have to trade up to OS X soon if you want any new software. And there are lots of cool features in OS X. But I wish Apple would work harder to get rid of these annoying glitches. And better documentation wouldn't hurt, either. Doing something a little out-of-the-way like setting up a MIDI device is damnably difficult with the minimal directions Apple includes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Black history analogy?, May 5 2004
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
LOL! I know nothing about this product but have the Black Panther Party and Malcolm X been resurrected and started writing computer programs now? Is this a coincidence? The package has the exact same cover design as the Spike Lee film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Currently the best OS on the planet, April 2 2004
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (CD-ROM)
OS X is money; I just switched from a Windows laptop to a new PowerBook and Panther has not crashed once in the 3 months I've had it. Not only that all my Windows files open flawlessly. The Dock rules, I don't understand how anyone could not like it. You have to throw out the old ways of doing things on your computer and realize that the way Panther is set up makes things so much easier. Traditional ways are not always the best. You can put all your most-used apps (applications) in the dock and they are one click away. Or just plop your apps folder into the Dock and you have one click access to every app on your system, just like the Start Menu (right click brings up a contextual menu like the Start Menu, left click brings up the folder in the Finder). You can also do what I did and put folders containing aliases to all your somewhat frequently used apps and folders, so they are even faster to access. I hardly even need to use the Finder, but when I do it's so easy and stable and good-looking it makes me wish I needed to use it more. The Dock makes app switching easy, just click on the icon, no need for menus like OS 9, and you can always see everything that's running just by looking at the Dock, what could be easier or more useful? You don't really need to minimize windows thanks to the glory that is Expose, but if you want to just get some windows out of the way you can shrink them to the dock, or just hide them using the hide command in the menu. And if you don't like the dock in the center (like I didn't), just download TinkerTools, a free program that will pin your dock to the corner. So basically the user interface is money: powerful, innovative, easy to use. Combine that with hardcore stability, a UNIX core that allows you to run Linux apps (you could even get VirtualPC and run 3 systems in 1, how can you beat that?), slick graphical effects (that can be turned off if you don't like them), not to mention all the sweet iLife apps, and you've got one nasty (as in awesome) OS. Plus it just looks and feels good. And you can put a wicked silver 'X' on a black background on your desktop (like the Panther box) to make your comp look extra cool (you could do it on Windows too but that just wouldn't make sense). So basically, there's no reason not to get Panther... what's $129? That's really not a lot of money, and it's worth it to keep innovative companies like Apple in business. If you're running Windows, you should really consider switching to Mac. Several years ago it might not have been worthwhile, but now that Panther is here, I've seen what great computing can be. I'll bet you at least 95% of the apps you run on Windows either a) have a Mac version or b) have an equivalent app that does the exact same thing (or more). I mean really, what do most users need? Here's a list (with Mac apps/features in parentheses)
1) Internet (IE, Mozilla, Camino, Safari, etc.)
2) E-Mail (Mail, Outlook, Eudora, etc.)
3) Word Processing / Spreadsheet / Presentation (MS Office, AppleWorks, OpenOffice, etc.)
4) Digital music/movies/photography (iLife)
5) Various cool freeware utilities (Check out MacUpdate or VersionTracker)
6) Networking capability (Airport, Rendezvous)
7) Access to external devices (USB/FireWire/Bluetooth (yes even 2 button mice work))
8) Security (Nobody can deny that Mac is far more secure than Windows at this point in time)
9) Ability to read files from Windows (Compatibility with Windows files and disks)
10) Instant Messanging (iChat, AIM, MSN Messenger, etc.)
11) Some other things I probably forgot (but that Macs can probably do)
So basically do yourself a favor and at least go check out Panther. It's a sleek, stable system that works great and will let you do everything you need and want to do, despite the fact that this is a Windows world. But remember, the majority is not always right... do some research, experiment, and check out all the options, there may just be something better. Don't accept that Windows is ok for you just because "it works all right most of the time" or because "I don't really care, it does what I need it to do even if it's not that great". There is a truly great system out there, and it's name is Panther.

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther by APPLE COMPUTER - SOFTWARE (Macintosh)
Used & New from: CDN$ 39.99