5.0 out of 5 stars A Historical Achievement!
Published on Feb. 25 2004 by Timotee

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the commentary
This is a pretty cheesy movie, a poorly connected sequence of action scenes in CGI. On the other hand, some of those scenes outdo big-budget movies; I thought the outlandish street race in oversized video vehicles was better than the pod race in Star Wars I, and with a less annoying kid.
Published on May 7 2004 by Zachary P. Beane

5.0 out of 5 stars A Historical Achievement!, Feb. 25 2004
Timotee (Torrance, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Mankind has truly taken a step into the technological future with "Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over" and it's highly creative genius! The little boy Juni Cortez (Daryl Sabara) gave up the O.S.S. to do private investigator work, but his sister Carmen (Alexa Vega) tried to play the evil Toymaker's (Sylvester Stallord) video game. She lost because she couldn't handle the wizardry of the diabolical genius. Then Juni came back to save his sister and the world. That's how extensive and intricate the plot of the story really is. Duh. The boy goes through these levels with computer nerds and he is the main star, but not quite. Evil Toymaker is the best character in this movie and he deserved an Oscar nomination for all FIVE of his roles. Only Sylvester Stallord can truly dominate a motion picture like this! George Clooney does his best Stallord impression and scores big time. Kudos to you man. Yes, every person in the world should see this historical achievement. The set designs were more impressive than any "Star Wars" movie and the acting was phenomenal, especially Sylvester Stallord's. All of that raw emotion! Those kids can move! They were racing at 300 mph, surfing on lava, fighting with glowing sticks! The 3-D is monumental and it hasn't been this great since who knows! What an accomplishment! Robert Rodriguez did all of this stuff in his garage, can you believe that! I'm in awe and I have mad appreciation for everybody in this movie! Blissful harmony, rejoice!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the commentary, May 7 2004
Zachary P. Beane "xach" (Portland, ME United States) - See all my reviews
As bad as it is, it's all worth it to watch Rodriguez's commentary, to hear him discuss the process of making a 3D movie, the future of digital cinema, and how he saved money and made a mildly entertaining (and hugely financially successful) movie under strict time and budget constraints.
Some of my favorite parts of the commentary:
"We didn't have this animation done on time, so we just had the character complain how it looked like an old video game."
"I wasn't sure if people would get splitting headaches from the 3D, so I made the movie only 80 minutes. That way, if it was a problem, at least it would be over soon."
The funniest parts are slightly apologetic, but there's plenty more to learn from, and he's never at a loss for words. Unlike typical DVD commentary, there isn't any dead time while he thinks of some bit of trivia about what's on the screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for kids!, May 4 2004
By A Customer
I saw the first "Spy Kids" movie when I was 13. I thought it was great then, and I still do. The humor is pretty good, and the spy technology is just a little ahead of our time, yet is presented in a way that appears as if it was invented recently. Naturally, I really wanted to see "Spy Kids 2". The novelty wore off after a few viewings. When "Spy Kids 3D" came out, I thought the story looked like it could be fun, and I decided to see it. My verdict: Rondriguez is going to the kids. That's why I don't like "Spy Kids 2" anymore. The gadgets are too futurisic look like they came from Toon Town. "Spy Kids" was relatively down to earth, but with new movies, Rondriguez is doing his best to appeal to the elementary school crowd. The gadgets are a dead giveaway in "Spy Kids 2". In "Spy Kids 3D", everything makes it obvious that the movie is for kids. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. The movie is very fast paced and the story is very basic. But to kids, that doesn't matter. All they need to know is that Juni is playing through a video game to stop the Toymaker from taking over the world. That's what they want, and that's what the movie delivers. To sum it up, this is a kid-only movie. That shouldn't be a problem since those types of movies occasionaly are released. What concerns me is that the director packages "Spy Kids 3D" as "A 3D experience for the WHOLE FAMILY!" The keyword here is whole, and I don't know if Rondriguez knows this, but family includes Mom, Dad, and teens, none of which will be interested in this movie. If you've got a kid whose 12 or under and wants to see this, rent it for them on DVD, then go from there.

4.0 out of 5 stars How you play the game, April 29 2004
Stephen Verhaeren (Palos Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I see this movie is get bad reviews, but I will not give this a bad review. After the first 2 Spy Kids movie, Robert Rodriguez brings us a 3rd movie, which is titled Spy Kids 3D: Game Over, if you are watching the 3D version of the movie, and if you are watching the 2D verison then it would be called Spy Kids 3: Game Over. boo725, the actor's name who plays Juni is Daryl Sabara. As the movie opens, stubborn Juni (Daryl Sabara) has left the OSS, and has become a private eye, and keeps telling the OSS that he is no longer an adgent, and he can't help them. He has his office in the tree house that his uncle Machete made for Juni and his older sister Carmen Cortez (Alexa Vega) after they became secret agents. And he is visited by Gerti Giggles (Emily Osment), and after she leave he gets a call from Devlin (George Clooney), and he tells Devlin that he is into reality and the reality is nothing Devlin can say will make Juni return to the OSS as a secret agent. Then Delvin delivers the bad news, his sister is missing. So, he goes off to OSS where he is taken to games and theory, where bad boy turned good boy Donnagon Giggles (Mike Judge) and his wife (Salma Hayek) is waiting for him. They ask him what he knows about a game called "Game Over" created by the Toymaker (Sylvester Stallone) who is prisoned in cyber space, by the OSS year ago. Carmen went until the game by herself, because her only choice would not answer their calls, and got has far as level 4, and then disappeared into the game and is a prisoner of the Toymaker. Now with 3D glasses on, Juni is sent into the game, and has to start on level 1. Where he meets Beta testers, Arnold (Ryan Pinkston), Francis (Bobby Edner) and Rez (Robert Vito). And they tell him the fast way to get to level 2, is to jump into a target that will get him to the moon, where level 2 is, and he finds himself in the arena of Missfortune, and has to battle a mach to get to level 2, and he fights a girl named Demetra (Courtney Jines), and after a couple of rounds Juni wins, and off to level 2, where he runs into Arnold, Rez, and Francis who mistakes him for the Guy. But one has his doubts, and they changgle him to a mega race, where Juni wins, is congratulated by his grandfather (Richard Montalban) whom he brought in the game, without realzieing the Toymaker was the one that put Grandfather in the wheelchair, 30 years before the movie takes place, but when Demetra discovers, that Juni is not the real gut, she asks him to at least act like he is the real guy. Elijah Wood plays the real Guy in the movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spy Kids: Game Over.......Literally!, April 27 2004
Well, let me put it this way; I sincerely hope that this poor excuse of a movie concludes the making of Spy Kids movies forever. I mean, let's just face it! The movies are getting worse by the minute! I wasn't too crazy about Spy Kids to begin with, and after the second movie, I tried to do a favor for myself and made a pact with myself never to see another Spy Kids movie voluntarily for as long as I live, but unfortuately, when I went to the movies with a couple of close friends, everything else was sold out except Game Over (I wonder why....), we wound up having to see it, and that was that.
First off, the movie itself lacked......well, actually, it lacked everything, but most of all it lacked a good plot, humor, meaning, and good acting. Four things that, for the most part, every good movie needs.
I mean, any moviemakers can make a crappy movie, throw in some 3-D, and make some money. Just the idea of 3-D makes people willing to spend the money to go see it, but that's a shame, because this movie isn't worth a cent to go see.
After I realized the movie was a total dud, I looked around the theater to see other people's reactions to the movie. In the beginning of the 3-D part*, most little kids were transfixed on the screen, but 10 minutes into it, most kids were already wriggling and playing with their candy. Some people, both young and old, had taken their glasses off, and were either just watching it without them, or doing something else.
* I forgot to mention earlier that not all of the movie is 3-D. Only about half is, maybe even less.
So, in conclusion, this movie is a total waste of your time, effort, and money. Do yourself a favor and don't even think about buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better on video than in the theater, April 13 2004
Daniel Sweeney (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
First off, let me start by saying that I own all three Spy Kids movies and although I'm an adult male with no kids, I've seen the first one probably 5 times and the second one thrice...so I'm not a typical Spy Kids fan. However, I am a big fan of Robert Rodriguez and his maverick style of filmmaking, as well as his films (particularly the Desperado films, which are about as opposite from Spy Kids as you can get). Also, his DVD's are always loaded with tons of extras including commentary, behind the scenes footage, his "10-minute Film School" videos and other material. So his films are always worth the DVD purchase.
Aside from writing and directing his films, Rodriguez is also the cinematographer, editor, production designer, visual effects supervisor and producer. Oh yeah, and HE ALSO WRITES THE MUSIC!!! Because his films are made on ultra-tight budgets yet always reap massive box office, he enjoys creative freedom unheard of to anyone in the motion picture business not named George Lucas. That's how he was able to make a 3-D film for kids.
So what's the verdict?
Well, when I first saw Spy Kids 3-D in the theater I was definitely underwelmed. Perhaps I was sitting too close to the screen or maybe the picture was out of focus, but more than anything the 3-D gave me a headache and frequently I had to remove the glasses to give my eyes a rest.
But a funny thing happened when I watched it again on DVD...IT WAS LIKE SEEING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME! Thanks to the sharpness of DVD (they actually recommend you watch it on a computer monitor, which is higher quality), the 3-D effect was awesome! In fact, after watching it I put in Spy Kids 2, and that movie immediately seemed weak in comparison to the dynamic 3-D effect of the third movie.
Now some reviewers here have complained about the story, and they are right, it lacks the charm and wit of the other Spy Kids films. However, as Rodriguez mentions in the commentary on the disc, this is largely due to the fact that it originally was not going to be a Spy Kids film...He set out to make a 3-D film for kids that would progress like a video game, and decided later to shoehorn that plot into a Spy Kids film. And I think he succeeded...the movie advances very similarly to the way a video game advances through various levels of increasing difficulty. The visuals are cool and if you haven't seen it, the movie is worth checking out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool movie, April 13 2004
By A Customer
Being a fan of the previous Spy Kids movies, I decided to see this one. And I don't regret seeing it at all. It's a very good movie, the best Spy Kids movie so far. It is definitely worth seeing (more than once!) This movie is on my list of recommmendations. It's really fun, doesn't get too boring like some movies do. If you have more than 4 family members, then you can order glasses on-line. People need to just get the DVDs since they come with the glasses. I mean, who doesn't have a DVD player? Getting a DVD is worth the few extra dollars, especially in this case. The DVD format comes with special features, and this one comes with lots of special features. The movie is good, you get a behind-the-scenes look at what it took to make the movie-it's a good buy.
About the movie:
Juni Cortez is called in by the OSS to go save his sister, Carmen, who is trapped in a video game. Juni goes inside the videogame, but will he be able to shut the video game down? Watch the movie for the exciting 3-D and to find out what happens. Even parents will like, Spy Kids movies, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spy Kids have gone a bit too far...but still a decent show!, April 12 2004
JK (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
In my opinion, I think that the creators of Spy Kids were worried that this movie would do poorly, so they added the new feature: 3D.
It gets fairly annoying watching TV with those 3D glasses on. Grant it, the 3D is pretty cool, but the colors aren't even right: There are only two.
I think they would've been better off if they let the 3D stuff alone.
-----
Okay, now getting onto the actual movie.
STORYLINE (4.5 / 5):
Interesting, definitaly for children from ages 9-13.
VALUE: (4 / 5):
DEFINITALY get the DVD version: It has so much more stuff. For one, the Bonus Features are great, and there are no 3D Glasses with the VHS version.
GRAPHICS (4.5 / 5):
Everything was awesome, except for the fact that the colors weren't right.
REPLAY VALUE (3.5 / 5):
This is one flaw of the Spy Kids movie: you usually only watch them once.
OVERALL: (4 / 5):
A good movie, but you may want to rent it first. I find it hard to watch this movie again and again, and if you rent it, that's all you'll need. (BE SURE TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ASK IF IT COMES WITH THE 3D GLASSES WHEN YOU RENT IT)
MORE INFO YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW:
*The DVD comes with 4 3D Glasses
*If you get the DVD version, you CAN watch it normally, without the 3D glasses. It will appear normal to you, unlike if you are watching the 3D version without the glasses
*When watching with the 3D glasses, my eyes began to be stressed. Now, nobody else watching had this problem, just an FYI.
-----
Happy shopping, and thanks for reading my review!
Jonathan

5.0 out of 5 stars This Movie is very cool-Everyone is missing the point!, March 14 2004
Everybody is being so annoying over how the 3D isn't great or how there is no plot. First of all, that is the whole point, it is a fun cheesy exciting movie for kids. Half the time anyone takes thier kids to the movies there is hardly anything going on that keeps them interested, even if it is a cartoon or whatever.
SpyKids 3D wanted to make this movie experience a very different one for kids and adults, an exciting one where in order to see the movie, you need special glasses. Fine the 3D isn't Imax status but it was intended to have video game graphics, hence the title, game over!
For anyone who has ever had a Viewmaster (you know, those little binocular looking toys that project images with circular discs) well, you get that kind of 3D in this movie. Rodriguez was celebrating the 50 year anniversary of 3D (stereoscopy) in itself.
For anyone looking for things to pop out of the screen and hit em in the head, go stand in front of a bus, but for those of you who appreciate an escape from the real world into fantasy, red/blue lenses and all, than you will definately enjoy this movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to Get Decent 3D Effects (It can be done!), March 1 2004
Douglas Wilcox (Nashua, NH, USA) - See all my reviews
We tried this first on our TV/DVD/Surround setup, and found the 3D effects to be awful at best. Following the setup instructions, we discovered the best viewing would be on a PC equipped with a DVD player, so we quickly shifted to our box running 1280 x 1024 resolution. Here are some quick tips on getting the most out of the 3D effects:
(1) View the movie on a computer (unless you own an HDTV set, or possibly a great TV with component video input).
(2) Keep the room completely dark. We started watching in daylight, but finished that evening. The difference was astounding.
(3) Live with the color distortions.
Overall, the 3D effects were decent and fun, but not amazing. There's a limit to what can be done with the red-blue technology chosen for this film.
As for the film, the story was a bit underwhelming, but it was still entertaining (especially for our younger children). There are some good lessons about revenge, forgiveness, and cooperation.
I found the "10-Minute Film School" featurette to be wonderful, especially regarding the demonstrations of adding sound effects to home movies.
Overall, this was a decent film, but does not hold up well beside the first Spy Kids movie, to which I would have given 5 stars.

Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over [Import]
Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over [Import] by Robert Rodriguez (VHS Tape - 2004)
Out of stock