5.0 out of 5 stars Love it...
I'll be back to get the rest of the seasons! Tons of laughs...I never get tired of watching In Living Color!
Published 12 months ago by Lisa Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars A little faded
I recalled some laughs watching this show 10+ years ago, so I figured I would "go for it".
Positives:
1. The "Men on..." sketches. Two snaps in a circle. Tickle me pink!
2. Homey D. Clown. Would like him in every episode but..."Homey don't play dat".
3. Anton the wino. Remodels his house and installs mason-jar bathroom...
Published on April 8 2004 by K. Gittins

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., April 13 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars FUNNY MUNNYS, July 4 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
CLASSIC TV, JUST WISH THEY HAD MORE THREE CHAMPS AND A BABY,COULDN,T STOP LAUGING MY ARSE OFF EVEN THOUGH IM A HUGE FAN OF, THE GREAT ONE MIKE TYSON.

5.0 out of 5 stars go Jim Carrey, June 30 2004
timothy p doyle (griffin, ga. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
In living color seson one has all 13 episodes and some alright dvd extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Show, July 18 2004
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
I like the two snaps up guys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Titles...who needs 'em?, June 25 2004
Wheelchair Assassin (The Great Concavity) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
Coming out in 1990, "In Living Color" was a major rarity at the time: a show that held up political correctness, racial issues, and just about anything else for relentless mocking, it was a logical progression from the sketch comedy of "Saturday Night Live" that helped pave the way for increasingly daring shows like "South Park" and "Chappelle's Show." While there were a few kinks to be worked out in the first season, and many of the best recurring bits were still to come (think "Handi-Man"), these first 13 episodes hold up suprisingly well 14 years after their initial release. In fact, I get a lot more of the jokes now than I did when I was 11.
With a mostly black cast, the show was a real equal opportunity offender, but it was at its best when it mocked the failings and excesses of black culture, most notably in the consistently hilarious "Homeboy Shopping Network" and "Homey The Clown" sketches. These two recurring skits represented everything "In Living Color" was that other shows of the day weren't: courageous, subversive, and suprisingly insightful. While much shorter, the "Great Moments in Black History" series was another milestone in TV treatment of race issues, documenting the achievements of such unsung black heroes as the first black man on the moon, the inventor of the self-service gas station, and of course Don King. And while I didn't get it when it premiered back in 1990, I now see the "Wrath of Farrakhan" for the five minutes of brilliance that it is. Introducing Louis Farrakhan to crew of the Starship Enterprise, the sketch is a visionary combination of fish-out-of-water comedy, TV satire, and sociopolitical commentary.
Of course, the show wasn't all racial parody, as there was plenty of time devoted to plain old sublime silliness. Its satirical edge extended even farther, poking fun at lame music videos, the popular TV shows and movies of the day, and, naturally, Mike Tyson and Michael Jackson. Season one introduced us to the cartoonish bum Anton and his home-improvement show "This Old Box"; the homosexual caricatures of the "Men On" series; and the world's hardest-working Jamaican family, the Hedleys of "Hey Mon." And sprinkled throughout the episodes are some phony commercials that rival anything on "Saturday Night Live," including an especially funny spot for a feminine product called "Vortex" that's just a bit too absorbent.
Just as importantly, it was "In Living Color" that introduced the masses to the talents of Jim Carrey (known as James Carrey at the time). Furiously mugging his way through his sketches, Carrey's outrageous physical comedy gave us such unforgettable characters as the anrogynous bodybuilder Vera De Milo, a wildly gesticulating Captain Kirk, and an overly aggressive and insufficiently skilled Karate instructor. His "Fire Marshall Bill" days were still ahead of him, but Carrey made quite an impression here.
In sum, this opening season ranks right up there with the initial bows of such justly classic shows as "South Park" and "The Simpsons." Keenan Ivory Wayans had already demonstrated his comedic abilities with the side-splitting movie "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka," and "In Living Color" only continued his winning streak. "In Living Color" was one of those rare shows that managed to balance wit, creativity, and boldness for an approach that was both offensive and intelligent. Now bring on Season 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless!, June 14 2004
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
Man.This show is just as funny and relevant today as it was then.I dont understand why a reviewer would complain that they had too many jokes were about being black,since the show is made up of predominantly black comedians!What do you want them to make fun of?This show is great.The fly girls are hot!It doesnt matter if youre black or white.You will laugh your (...) off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Carrey the only saving grace.., June 12 2004
mcflytrap (Marshall, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
I just watched Season One of ILC...the first time in a long time. Now I remember why it was never a favorite. Jim Carrey is the only funny one. While some of the skits were pretty clever, like the Star Trek spoof, most of the skits used the same tired joke about black men/women talking ghetto and clashing with their surroundings. Famous Moments in Black History, This Ole Box, that one with David Alan Grier uttering up Shakespearian dialogue to a Princess, then...surprise, the Princess talks ghetto. It just got old. In this day and age, it's sad that I feel I have to explain that I understand the cast is mostly black, and a lot of the skits have to do with black culture, but honestly, come up with something original! The Famous Moments in Black History was pretty funny occasionally, like the left-behind black man on the moon in 1969, etc. Homey the Clown was funny for about 10 seconds, then they just repeated the same old joke. Get it? A clown is supposed to be happy and this clown is some disheartened ghetto-talkin' ex-con! Oh what a hoot! Oh look! He slapped the kid AGAIN! Hahaha. Oh look! He's talkin ghetto again! Hahaha. Next skit. Look! The guy's talkin ghetto in Casablanca! What a hoot! Next skit. Ooh funny funny! White people in a black restaurant! Guess what?!?! They're talkin ghetto!! Oh gee, my sides!
You get the picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it is about time...!!!!, June 9 2004
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
One of the greatest shows ever created has been finally put on DVD. Even though I was young when this series came out in the early 90's i still remember and enjoy it the same. After watching the entire 1st season, it reminds me why I like the show so much. Skits like Men on film, art, and books, homey the clown, and anton jackson are so cutting edge. Even some of the things they said shocked me so I know they were shocking 15 yrs ago. I absolutely love Kim Wayans. I wish she did more things I also loved her on In the House. I had no idea that the mother on the disney show, "That's so Raven" got her start on I.L.C. Although the Wayans, David Alan Grier, Jim Carrey, and Tommy Davidson are funny I wish I could have seen more of Kim Coles, or Synclaire, more on the show. (That's another show that should follow suit, Living Single). I even loved the Fly Girls, Dedra and Lisa were my favorite. From the cutting edge jokes, to the "Two snaps up" from Antoine Merriweather is pure classic. I love this season and I can't wait for the rest. Fave skits: Men On...., Homey the Clown, Anton, Grace Jones, Endangered Species, the Hedleys with all the jobs, Oprah, and Andrea dice clay!

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I got to see it again, June 4 2004
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
I loved In Living Color in the 1990's. After watching the first season DVD though, I don't think that was the best season. As for the DVD itself, I don't understand why they had to have the introduction before each new episode. It would have been better to splice together all the episodes without the theme song and introduction.
In addition, things that were VERY funny in the 1990's just don't do it for me today. I just think that old phrase, "you can't go back," applies so well with past tv shows. There are some "old" tv shows that stand the test of time, Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy, etc., but many others are too period oriented to really be funny in a new era.
Don't get me wrong, I laughed but I did so more because I was reminiscing about how funny I remember the episode was when I saw it in 1990. One episode that stood the test of time though is the Michael Jackson potatoe head episode. Michael is the same today as he was in the 1990's which is sad considering the fact that the joke was about his plastic surgery and skin discoloration.
Anyway, I would recommend this DVD but I can't honestly say that I was in love with this DVD. I also was not in love with David Chappelle's DVD and I absolutely love his show. There's something to be said about the presentation of compliation episodes on DVD and one requirement should be the exclusion of theme music, credits and so forth after every epidsode.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can do what you want to do, in living color..., June 2 2004
This review is from: In Living Color:S1 (DVD)
I remember in 1990, when I was four years old, and my parents always had In Living Color on the living room TV, and I would sit out there and watch it with them. (Perhaps this is where I got my sense of humour from.) Looking back, I was probably the only kid in my preschool with a Homey The Clown t-shirt.
Fast-forward to early 2004. One day in one of the entertainment stores I frequent, I noticed this new box set. I was immediately intrigued, remembering some sketches from my childhood. So I rented Disc 3 from [my video store], and that was it. That was enough for me to buy the box set.
Now I'm 18, and I love In Living Color Season One. This set is hilarious. Watching these old sketches, it's easy to see why Jim Carrey, the Wayanses, and David Alan Grier are all stars now; they're great on this show! What In Living Color is, for those of you who don't know, is a sketch comedy show from 1990, sort of in the vein of Mad TV. True, it's a little dated, but as long as you have at least SOME knowledge of late-80's/early-90's pop culture, you should get most of the jokes. My favorite sketches on here are Men On (Whatever) (I could watch this sketch over and over for a week and it wouldn't get old), Homey The Clown, Vera De Milo, The Brothers Brothers, Homeboy Shopping Network, America's Funniest Security Camera Videos, Calhoun Tubbs, etc. True, some sketches fall flat (Black World), but most of them crack me up.
Anyway, I recommend this box set to anyone in the mood for a good, classic sketch comedy show.
Also, in the beginning of the America's Funniest Security Camera Videos sketch, when they're showing the initial shot of the audience, look closely - Kid 'N' Play (the guys from House Party) are there! (At least I think it's them...)

ARRAY(0xb991b5c4)

In Living Color:S1
In Living Color:S1 by Paul Miller (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 37.98 CDN$ 21.99