5.0 out of 5 stars One of TV's Funniest Show ever!
Published on April 17 2004 by Plano Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of both the shows and the DVD
First, I must say I am biased, as I have always considered "Green Acres" to be one of the most underrated sitcoms of all time. The surreal sequences make it unlike any other "rural" show, and it is funny yet today.
Published on Jan. 19 2004 by Yarby

5.0 out of 5 stars One of TV's Funniest Show ever!, April 17 2004
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
What a pleasent surprise when I first saw the "Green Acres 1st Season" DVDs on display, one day at a shopping mall! It was one of my favorite TV shows in my youth, which I've nearly forgotten about until that shopping day. I'm happy to read EVERY comment made on IMDB is highly favorable of the show! With no second thoughts and its rather low sale price, I eagerly snagged it up to watch every show. It only took a week or so till we got to see every episode, laughing and enjoying each one. Definitely worth the money, though I must say the discs have left me with a few disappointments.
First, all 32 episodes are written on only two double-sided discs. A personal pet-peave, true, but having two grade-school-aged boys that get into everything, I don't mind having one side for any potential "unwanted abuse". Further, since this leaves no room for labels, there ends up being no way to identify what side of what discs has the first episode, ect.... You must either guess or use the 'trial and error' method.
Next, perhaps one of the reasons for the lower price tag than most other TV-Show-DVDs, is that it looks as though little or even no time was spent on restoring the quality of the video. Each episode was plagued with dirt spots, dust, scratches and other poor quality film elements, even an occasional hair popping up on the screen from 'projecter lint'! In episode 22 "The Day of Decision" for instance, is very grainy-looking as if it was taken from a poor quality 16mm film print. The focus and audio isn't quite as sharp and clear as say, even older TV-Show-DVDs like 'I Love Lucy" or 'Dick Van Dyke'.
A surprising oddity; we couldn't use our computer mouse to click on any of the 'menu' or 'episode' selections. We could use our keyboard at least. We've never encountered such a situation on any other of our DVDs. Hopefully they'll fix that on future releases.
Lastly, no 'Bonus features' - Biographies, Trivia, Behind-The-Scenes, Audio Commentaries or anything atall like that!
"Green Acres 1st Season" DVD is still a good package for the price and a real treat for any 'Green Acres' fan. Hopefully the following seasons will be out soon. Although I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer or maybe paying a little more for the many potential improvements these discs could use. After all, that is why we have gone to DVDs in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE PLEASE, ASAP!!, Feb. 17 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I sincerely hope that someone at MGM sees this!! Can we please now have all the other wonderful episodes of Green Acres on DVD (the other five seasons)?? It is so great to have the entire first season on DVD, epecially since most show's early episodes are usually the best ones. But, Green Acres was a rare exception to that rule. The show was consistently and quite joyously weird and wacky and unpredictable throughout the six seasons it was on CBS. CBS also prematurely cancelled the show, despite it's still high ratings and popularity, along with it's other "country" shows, "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Petticoat Junction", reportedly in an effort to offer more "sophisticated" fare. I can't help but wonder just how many of those replacement shows are still even remembered, let alone have been released on DVD!! Now if only "Petticoat Junction" would be offered the same way on DVD, as well!! The packaging of the two, two-sided Green Acres DVDs is adequate, but is somewhat spartan. But, the price makes up for it. There are no extras, not even chapter selections, but the episodes themselves more than make up for that. Especially since the episodes are complete and look great!! This DVD set is a bargain and I'll be on the lookout for the last five seasons of Green Acres to hopefully follow soon!! I can't recommend this purchase highly enough to any fan of Green Acres, who like me, grew up watching the show during it's original run from 1965 to 1971 and who like me, is a lover of classic, clean, family television entertainment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of both the shows and the DVD, Jan. 19 2004
Yarby "yarby" (Medina, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
But, alas....the transfers on these DVD's leave something to be desired. The primary fault is during the opening sequence....the classic theme song. The opening sequence is spattered with scratches and dirt. It also appears they used the same source for the opening for all of the shows, as the dirt and scratches are amazingly alike on every episode. Given the classic status of this opening sequence, I am surprised they didn't put more effort into making it spotless.
I am not through every episode yet, but the majority of the episodes have average at best transfers....not as dirty as the opening, but not spotless either.
Of course, given that this is the one and only time these episodes will probably ever appear on DVD...snatch them up if you want them. Just be forwarned....it's not perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family entertainment, Aug. 3 2009
B (Halifax, N.S.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
My kids love this show. They think it's hilarious. I think it's a clean show that the whole family can watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy as ever, Feb. 13 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
This is a show people seem to either love or hate, very few are on the fence. I fall in the first group. I saw the show when I was young, and almost 40 years later, it is still as funny as ever. When I saw the price, I was afraid of a substandard product, but was happy to see that was not the case. The big kudos goes to MGM for putting closed captioning on this classic. It is not advertised as such and at first I debated whether to order it. I was very happy to see that closed cation symbol on the box when I opened the package. Classic VHS tapes often lacked this feature, even MGM products. A number of the cheaper DVDs still lack this feature. With over 25 million Americans suffering some degree of hearing loss, and a population that is getting older, it is nice to know the companies are getting better about including the closed captioning on these classics so we can all enjoy them again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would have liked it - if it worked, April 5 2014
E. Ryan "teacher lady" (Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Love this series and have been sharing some of the oldies with my kids at school. But it won't play in my computer, so it has become useless - will only work in an actual DVD player can not be played on anything else - the first show will play but you can't choose from anything on the menu. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Funny While Also Inexpensive, Jan. 12 2014
Neil S. Rieck "Neil Rieck" (Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Most people do not know that "The Beverly Hillbillies" (1962) led to "Petticoat Junction" (1963) which led to "Green Acres" (1965). And when you think about it, if "The Beverly Hillbillies" is a comedy about rural people moving to the big city then "Green Acres" is just the reverse. It also appears (in my opinion) to be the funniest. My wife was born in Czechoslovakia and never saw "Green Acres" until we were vacationing in Cancun. That is when I got the idea to buy this package as a Christmas stocking stuffer. Season one weighs in at 32 episodes which means you are paying less than a dollar each. The box declares 820 minutes of run time but I can assure you there are at least 820 laughs included.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny show, Nov. 15 2013
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I would definitely rate 5 stars for the content.
I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the video.
I know it's old , but have seen better quality on TV when it's run, so better quality is out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREATEST DVD SET, March 4 2004
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
The Dvd is worth every penny you spend. A great DVD Set to add to your collection. You'll spend hours and hours of watching episode after one another. A great Buy! A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Green Acres in its entirety..., Jan. 25 2004
R. Weisenbacher (Eastport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Acres: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Well... I've been waiting for this First Season DVD set ever since I ordered the Columbia House video releases of Green Acres (late 1999-2001). Columbia House chose to release the "best" of Green Acres in no particular order, which was disconcerting to a fan. BUT, this new DVD set is released in broadcast order! It's great to see the development of the characters and it's quite satisfying to see that by the 14th episode ("What Happened in Scranton") all the characters have found their niche.
Some of the episodes have a few film scratches, but they are really minor. The sound is brilliant (no scratches there!) and the color VERY vibrant! I remember watching Green Acres re-runs as a kid, and didn't realize that the hay shoveled by Eddie Albert in the beginning credits was a green color.
Another reviewer mentioned the chemistry between Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor and I must also mention it. Interestingly, upon seeing the two actors names, one would think that Albert and Gabor would have nothing in common and be a disaster, but... something "clicks" between them just right. As the episodes move along, one can see that Eddie and Eva clearly TOTALLY ENJOYED each other and played off each other wonderfully. In fact, watch closely at the conclusion of one of the episodes (I kick myself for not remembering which one), where Eddie and Eva are in bed and Eddie goes to turn off the light (and theoretically conclude the episode). Eva leans over and TICKLES Eddie and he knocks the lamp off the table and he and Eva both laugh in an "out of character" way, all while the scene fades out and the end credits role. You can just see that they had FUN while making these episodes.
The surreal comedy starts to "creep in" to these first season episodes, although it wouldn't be fully explored until later seasons. By "surreal" I mean where the characters "poke fun" at their own show or others similar. One episode starts with Eb milking Eleanor the cow while humming the theme song to the show! Then at the conclusion he "sings" in Eva's voice, "Dahling, I love you but give me Park Avenue!" It's in the later seasons that things like the names of the director and producers appear in the opening credits on Eddie's towel (as he exits the shower), or appear in the darkness in Eddie and Eva's bedroom where she asks him who the names are, etc.
So, watch these episodes... enjoy them. And notice that they are really sophisticated "pokes" at society as we know it. Finally... these episodes (well, the ones halfway through the first season and onward) are REALLY FUNNY! Don't be ashamed to LAUGH OUT LOUD!
Let's hope MGM releases all the other five seasons!

ARRAY(0xa9c9ba8c)

Green Acres: The Complete First Season
Green Acres: The Complete First Season by Richard L. Bare (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 37.98 CDN$ 8.99