4.0 out of 5 stars Two great "American Graffiti" films for the price of one!
Published on May 10 2004 by Jake Marsico

2.0 out of 5 stars Sequel = Disappointment
I enjoyed American Graffiti so I wanted to see the sequel,too. Movies about the Vietnam Era and the student demonstrations generally don't appeal to me. I was of draft age during Vietnam and I was in college during the Kent State riots. Those are still painful memories. I saw More American Graffiti because I was interested in the stories of the characters from American...
Published on Nov. 13 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Two great "American Graffiti" films for the price of one!, May 10 2004
Ce commentaire est de: American Graffiti Drive-In Double Feature (DVD)
The AMERICAN GRAFFITI DRIVE-IN DOUBLE FEATURE DVD is absolutely entertaining to watch as only George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola could offer!! This DVD (part of Universal's Franchise Collection of film series made by the studio for affordable prices on DVD) contains the two full-length films AMERICAN GRAFFITI (George Lucas,1973) and its sequel MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI (B.W.L. Norton,1979) and is actually a double-sided disc,one movie on both sides instead of two discs which is mislabeled.First,AMERICAN GRAFFITI is beautifully presented in its original glorious anamorphic widescreen format (2.35.1) along with Dolby Digital Surround Sound and contains the original theatrical trailer and documentary THE MAKING OF AMERICAN GRAFFITI which runs close to 80 mins.Then,MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI is presented in a crisp,clear new anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85.1 to 2.35.1).The second film was shot using different camera processes which explains the differences in aspect ratios.The 1.85.1 ratio was used for some of the Vietnam and non-objectionable scenes while the 2.35.1 Panavision format is used for mostly the innovative split-screen techniques and race sequences which is interesting to watch,but it's not the best sequel.The two films and a eye-catching cover art makes this set a must for any fan of the films and that the first film alone would serve as the inspiration for the classic TV sitcom HAPPY DAYS!!! Thanks to Universal and lets hope that they will make some more Franchise Collection releases like the John Hughes films,and The Mummy as well!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars LAST AMERICAN GRAFFITI, Jan. 22 2004
RICK AND OLLY "RICK AND OLLY" (ROWVILLE VICTORIA AUSTRALIA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: More American Graffiti (DVD)
I first saw this movie at the local twin cinema in January of 1980. The only reason I saw it was because they wouldn't accept my ID so I couldn't get into to see " Apocalyse Now " which was playing in the other cinema.{ I was only 17 at the time }. And it's worth pointing out, because in 1980 home video was almost non existant in Australia , I hadn't seen the first " American Graffiti " yet. So I got to see the sequel before the original. AND I LOVED IT !.I've always been very interested in that period of time {60's} so it captured my imagination straight away. The story was cleverly done, it was sad to see John Milner's fate but he is spared the indignity of us witnessing the accident that killed him. Same with Terry the Toad, he was last seen singing "Auld Lang Syme" as he deserted his unit in Vietnam. I hope he's still out there somewhere.
It was 9 years before I saw it sgain, and this time I picked up on some of the other characters, like Officer Bob Falfa, and Terry's buddy in 'Nam, the ex Pharoh. But of course now I could compare the sequel to the original, and how can you top a movie like " American Graffiti "? The answer is simple, you can't. So I have to take off one star. But it's still worth a look, and if it's OK with the rest of you, I'm going to order my copy from AMAZON very soon.
One last thing, why doen't George Lucas make another, he could call it "LAST AMERICAN GRAFFITI". In it he could show maybe Milner's ghost ( I'm being serious ) Terry's return from endless R&R, and Kurt visiting from Canada, and Steve and Laurie with the grandchildren. It could be set in about 1995 so the characters age naturally. You can have these ideas for free if your reading this, George. I just want to see the movie made.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun and Entertaining Sequel!, Sept. 15 2003
Ce commentaire est de: More American Graffiti (DVD)
"More American Graffiti" is the underrated and delightfully entertaining comedy sequel to George Lucas'1974 classic film, "American Graffiti".In Lucas'original film he followed various cliques of teenagers (over a 12 hour period), who were on the cusp of adulthood,asking that age old adolescent question, "what will I do with the rest of my life?" In this humorous sequel, we follow most of the original film's main characters into young adulthood and find out what they have been up to as their lives play out against the turbulent backdrop of the 1960's. Essentially the movie is broken down into four main stories, each taking place on a different News Years'Eve during the 60's decade.We meet up again with tough guy, John Milner (Paul Le Mat)who has left his street rod days behind and is now trying to break into the dangerous world of 1960's professional drag racing. He's doing this while he tries to romance a beautiful foreign exchange student, who speaks not a word of english. The second story takes place in Vietnam, where Terry "the Toad" Fields (Charles Martin Smith) is a soldier serving in a U.S.Army Medivac helicopter unit. All around him he see's the absurdity and hopelessness of the war and will try anything to keep from becoming a casualty. The third story takes place in the Haight-Ashbury's 'Summer of Love', where Debbie Dunham (Candy Clark)has become a hippie, who gets mixed up with a crazy rock n' roll band, while trying to procure a gig for her musician, boyfriend. The final story involves Steve and Laurie Bolander (Ron Howard & Cindy Williams)who are raising a family in suburbia. The couple experiences marital discord, which inadvertantly leads them into the world of the college campus anti-war demonstrations and riots.Director and writer, Bill L. Norton has very innovatively told us a number of stories against a vast tapestry of recent history. These baby boomer characters all experience both joy and heartache in their lives.But hey isn't that what life is all about? The entire cast recreates their characters with great finess and energy. Le Mat and Smith are especially good in their roles.Also, look for cameos from Harrison Ford, Mackenzie Phillips and Bo Hopkins, who play their original characters from the first film.The movie makes interesting use of both editing and cinematography, that changes from story to story.I really like the creative use of split-screen during the 'Haight- Asbury' sequences, which highlights those colorful and frenetic times.The DVD picture and sound transfer are exceptually well done.The DVD also makes the most out of it's wide screen formatting (especially in the drag racing sequences). My only complaint is that this DVD has absolutely nothing in extras (not even a film trailer). This movie is both a fun and entertaining sequel. While it might not have the classic status of the original film, it is still highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not all sunshine and flowers..., March 2 2004
J. M Quiggins "Sole_Fish" (Owensboro, Ky. USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: More American Graffiti (DVD)
What a great film. I have grown so fond of these characters over the years. So fond,in fact, that i was afraid to watch this movie. I had already mapped out the futures of all of the cast members. However, Mr. Lucas came through with flying colors. What a realistic and truthful telling of love and loss, happiness and sadness, Peace and war, and making up. Some of my favorite moments:
Our favorite geek, Terry the Toad, has a subtle,yet bittersweet, finale. He gains his freedom, and loses something just as important to him. And, 'car-man', John Milner, has a riveting performance as a drag strip racer. Every moment you wonder if he'll live or die. I was so floored, i didn't even notice the absence of Richard Dreyfus. His absence took nothing away from this movie. I will cherish this movie as much as i do the original. But, i think to fully enjoy this sequel, you must have an affection for the characters. I am way too biased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated, March 20 2002
By A Customer
Although widely panned for lacking the same mood and style as the original American Graffiti, its hit predecessor, More American Graffiti is an entertaining movie that gives a sense of the transition from the security of the early 1960s to the unrest and uncertainty of the Flower Power era. Most significantly, the movie manages to create tension around the fates of John Milner and Terry the Toad, whose early demises were reported at the end of the first movie -- however, you expect it to happen, it won't.
Although the original movie took place in a mythologized Modesto, California (despite being filmed in Petaluma and San Rafael), the city is not a character in More American Graffiti after the first appearance of Steve and Laurie's subdivision house. Action moves largely to the Bay Area, though the Bolander's conventional, middle-American relationship stands the test of 1960s strife fairly well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel to the original, April 13 2004
Ce commentaire est de: More American Graffiti (DVD)
My brother and I discovered the original American Graffiti by accident. Our parents had taken our younger sister to see a G-rated movie that we both thought we had outgrown, so we opted for another movie instead. I don't even remember what the other movie was anymore, but it was so bad that we left after fifteen minutes. American Graffiti was showing down the hall and we went in to watch that instead. At that time I think it's safe to say we considered it to be the coolest movie we'd ever seen. I completely missed out on More American Graffiti when it was in the theatres, but caught it on a late night cable run a few years later. I thought the update idea was cool and it took me forever to even realize that Richard Dreyfus wasn't in the movie. I thought it was an average movie, but the thing that sealed the deal for me was the scene where John Milner has wrecked his car just before the final showdown with the "factory" team. All of his local rivals pitch in to get his car running so that he doesn't miss his big chance. Just when it looks hopeless and the track announcer is telling everyone that he'll have to forfeit, he is spotted running his top fuel rail down the breakdown lane on the way to the starting line. I almost fell off of the couch. I completely bought into it. Nice concept, nice movie, but the final race scene really pushed it over the edge for me. (What can I say? I'm a car guy.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good film!, Jan. 10 2001
I had heard many reviews on this movie. I heard that it was the worst thing he ever had anything to do with. I was a big fan of the original Graffiti and its soundtrack ((dispite my age of 15)). I heard More American Graffiti, the less sucessful sequal, was being rerealesed on VHS. A relative gave it to me for Christmas and I enjoyed it just as much as the first. The songs that were picked were all very good and I hope a soundtrack is released ((dispite the fact the Beatles were not included)). The stories were amazing. It shifts from year to year and tells us what each of the characters ((minus Richard Dreyfuss)) are up too. In 1964 John Millner is on his way to becoming a proffesional racer as he falls in love with a girl who does not even speak the same language as him. In 1965 Terry the Toad is trying to injury himself so he is sent out of Vietnam and back home to his girlfriend. No matter what he does he just gets into deeper doo doo ((seriously)). In 1966 we follow Terry's old girlfriend Debbie in her new life as a flower child. She really longs for a traditional marriage which her current boyfriend refuses to give to her. Dispite this she waits on him hand and foot. In 1967 Steve and Laurie are married with kids. Laurie wants to be more than a housewife but Steve just won't let that go. She runs away to her brother who is involved in a campus riot. Look for a cameo by Harrison Ford in this movie. I loved it and will cherish it in my video collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sequel to Original Classic, June 28 2000
brent been (Tahlequah, Ok) - See all my reviews
This is a fine follow-up.Some carp about this one.What some people don't understand is that this shows those same lovable characters in a different time(they are older, more tumultous events have transpired in America since 1962 such as assassination of JFK, Vietnam starts for real, psychedelic drugs take off, polarization of American society due to the escalation of Vietnam War, changing styles, values, attitudes, perceptions,etc.), and so naturally the film is not going to be the "same" as the first one.It was a perfect way to capture the transition of the characters to the latter part of the 60s. The soundtrack kicks too! Basically, everyone(except for Dreyfuss) is back for this one including Harrison Ford who is now Officer Bob Falfa. I liked the Vietnam scenes the best with Terry "Toad" Fields and Joe the Pharoh. I don't think there was any other way to pull a believable and successful sequel off than to do it the way Lucas and Co did(you will have to watch it to understand what I mean---be advised this is very different from the first one).Excellent film all the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not The Same, But Still Good, July 17 2000
MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI follows the lives of some of the characters we met in the original movie and follows their lives from 1966-1970.
What I like about this movie is whilst retaining the interspersed ensemble feel of AMERICAN GRAFFITI, it also makes the characters mature: their transitions are believable - age and what's been happening around them has changed or kept their characters the same accordingly.
There are less comic moments than the original, although the bus scene will have you cheering for Laurie and co. with a smile on your face. The desperation of Terry 'Toad' to leave Vietnam meanwhile is hardly harrowing, but it does make you want him to get out of there.
And it all culminates with another special ending: the kind of endings that movies should try more often - not all the questions are answered and it's a quirky, original way to go out.
It may be a cliche to say it, but if you loved the first film, you'll like MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

4.0 out of 5 stars WELL MADE SEQUEL, June 6 2002
"envisions" (Kitscoty, Alberta) - See all my reviews
I gave this movie four stars out of five for one reason - Richard Dreyfus is not in it. Apparently after he received his oscar in 1977, he felt he should get more money for doing the sequel. This movie is different from the first. It does not take place in one night but on New Years Eve in four years (1964, 1965, 1966 & 1967). Director B.W.L. Norton wrote the screenplay, expanding it from the George Lucas's epilogue at the end of the first film. The film is dramatic, funny and depressing. That was indeed the 60's! The music selected for the film includes Diana Ross and the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Aretha Franklin and the Doors. It is DIFFERENT from the first one but SEQUELS should be DIFFERENT. I'm hoping that Universal will release the movie on DVD soon and in the WIDESCREEN format too! The film was shot in Cinemascope (2.35:1) and flat four (1.85:1) aspect ratios as well as 16mm for the Vietnam war scenes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

American Graffiti Drive-In Double Feature
American Graffiti Drive-In Double Feature by George Lucas (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 42.11