5.0 out of 5 stars Just Sit Right Back...
I was very pleased with the purchase of this Fantastic Boxed Set.
Published on Feb. 9 2004 by Trevor William Douglas

3.0 out of 5 stars love gilligans island but the second season didnt have any discs in it.
gilligans island is a great show - one of a kind. I ordered 3 seasons together and when we opened it for christmas the second season had no discs in it.
Published 18 months ago by NANCY LEDOUX

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Sit Right Back..., Feb. 9 2004
Trevor William Douglas (Gorokan, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I was very pleased with the purchase of this Fantastic Boxed Set.
Until now I had only seen the BW episodes cut to around 18 minutes! The set features every episode from the first season and the prints are excellent. The unaired PILOT with audio commentary by Sherwood Schwartz is both entertaining and informative. The banter bewteen The Skipper and Gilligan in Two On A Raft is a pure comic gem, especially when they end up back on the island. I found myself laughing out loud at some the Skipper's reactions to Gilligan's dialogue.
I advise anyone who has been a fan of this classic show or is just discovering it for the first time, to add it to your collection. I eagerly await season two, hopefully with some comments from Bob, Dawn or Russell and of course Sherwood!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great TV Series!!, Jan. 15 2009
I just recieved my copy of Gilligan's Island: The Complete Series and it sure brings back alot of memories....I remember coming home from school..heading into the living room to turn the channel to the 4:30pm airing of my favorite TV show!....I use to watch it everyday and my Mom would complain that " Did'nt you see that episode already?"...I would say "Yes!...but it gets better everytime you watch it!"...I know she wanted to watch the Young and the Restless but allowed me to be entertained for the half hour.
Every episode is just plain funny!...Gilligan's antics never stop....he is sooo clumsy!...QUIZ: do you know where Sherwood Schwartz got the name Gilligan from?.....by fanning through the local phonebook and ending up on a person whose real name was Gilligan!..and that Gilligan's actual shirt sold at an auction for $28,000!
All 9 discs contain all 98 episodes..even the pilot episode!..it's great to see all the guest stars again that visited the island and were able to get off and yet the seven standed castaways still remained!
A great TV series to laugh with your kids containing no vulgar language or nudity...only pure laughter!
Re-live your childhood again by picking up the Complete Series.....you sure will enjoy seeing those episodes again and again.Gilligan's Island: The Complete Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as it should be..., June 1 2004
John Robinson "john" (Yokohama, Kanagawa Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Imagine how you would put this collection together: You would want something from the creator (Sherwood Shwartz, hope I spelled it correctly); you would want something about the cast; you would want the episodes in all their pristine, black & white, first season glory with excellent sound.
Well, it is all here. I have no problem with the double sided DVD's (remember, what it says on the side facing up is what you get when it plays. If you can see "side B" staring at you when you put it in the player, that is what will play), no problem with the rather attractive fold-out case (which includes helpful synopes of the episodes on the cover, without spoilers no less. Very thoughfully done). I have alot of DVDS and these were easier than average to remove from the case (Star Trek: Next Gen were far more difficult, for example).
Add to that the extremely favorable price and this is surely one of the best buys in DVD land. This is also the one American comedy series that my Japanese wife enjoys (well, Japanese comedy is pretty low brow and loveable as well).
Buy it now. It is the right thing to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids and adults, Jan. 6 2010
I purchased this for my kids for Christmas and they couldn't get enough of it. They loved the old episodes (even in black and white). My husband and I also enjoyed seeing some of these shows again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series but concerned about disks, Feb. 18 2004
Donald J. Wurzelbacher (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
When you mention "Gilligans Island" most people immediately can identify the 1960s sitcom. Either you like it or you don't. I have been a fan of the show for many years and never get tired of the sight gags and stunts. This was a very unique program, unlike your typical sitcom set in someone's home. The show was written mostly for children but was enjoyable for adults as well. It is one of the few programs that is truly "family friendly". I had the honor of meeting three stars of the show: Bob Denver, Russell Johnson, and Dawn Wells. These actors are outstanding people who did the best job they could while on this series. I not only have great respect for them but for this little show that never dies. And that tells you how well the show was made. Most people expected the show to never be sold, much less lasting past one season. Instead it has been on the air since 1964.
The stories are fun to watch, all complete and uncut. The quality of the picture is excellent, for the age of the show. My only concern is the packaging. There are three disks, all double sided. Fortunately, it looks like right now the disks are fine, but I have had difficulties in the past with double sided disks because they scratch so easily. I also find it difficult to read which side I am on and which episodes I am watching. But it does keep it very compact and the package is handsome.
The extras are not much to speak of. Sherwood Schwartz gives a commentary during the pilot, which also has a short extra scene not shown in the original video version. This also has me wondering how much footage is around that we still don't get to see.
There is a "survival Guide" which is terrible, in my opinion. But I bought it for the episodes, not the extras. And the price is right, so that helps.
Overall, if you are a GI fan, then you will probably purchase this series right away. If not, well, then you probably don't even need to be reading this review. I hope this package sells in order to bring out seasons 2 and 3 so it's complete.
All in all, this is fun, family entertainment and I only wish today's television programming was like this so that I would feel comfortable having everyone watch the tube. In today's world of sex jokes, vulgar language, and explicit scenes dealing with everything from adultery to gay couples, I am glad Gilligans Island gives me something to laugh at, which is what a COMEDY is supposed to do, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, May 21 2009
Peter Dyck - See all my reviews
Fantastic series. Our children can't get enough of Gilligan's Island.
Excellent delivery. Product was here before the promised date and packaged well. Definitely order from Amazon.ca again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven stranded castaways, June 16 2004
andy8047 (Nokomis,Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Sherwood Schwartz who would later create and produce "The Brady Bunch",created and produced this awesome series about seven stranded castaways on Gilligan's Island. Here are the episodes from the first season,1964-65. Bob Denver is Gilligan,a sailor. The late Alan Hale is the Skipper,who has a love/hate friendship with Gilligan. The late Jim Backus,famous for the voice of the animated Mr. Magoo,is a wealthy man named Thurston Howell III. The late Natalie Schaefer is Lovey Howell,Thurston's wife. Tina Louise is a young,beautiful film actress named Ginger Grant. This season,in which the episodes were black and white,featured recurring characters,a professor and a young girl named Mary Ann,respectively portrayed by Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells. Those characters were not mentioned in the theme song since they were recurring. They were part of "all the rest". Thurston is referred to as "the millionaire" and Ginger is "the movie star". One highlight from this season is the episode or few episodes where a young Kurt Russell guest-starred. He was then 13 years old. Colorized versions of these episodes aired on cable television's TNT(Turner Network Television). To the best of my knowledge,this series is the only one in which colorized versions of black and white episodes aired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome episodes; lame extras, Feb. 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Gilligan's Island is one of the television shows I watched as a child and never grew tired of. At one level, the story is pedestrian: Seven people on a deserted island who, time after time, just never manage to get rescued. Included are a first mate who would never meet the most relaxed of maritime codes for capability; a billionaire couple who just happen to bring suitcases of cash with them on a three-hour tour and enough completely different outfits to wear for a month; an actress who wears a dress and heels day and night every day; and three others.
But if you are able to get past the above, the show can take on a charming attraction. Each character on the show played his/her role superbly. Added is the fact that they are each extremes in their personalities: There is no goofier first mate, no smarter professor, no more sultry of an actress, no more innocent of a farm girl, no more eccentric a wealthy couple, etc. than the people on this island.
In the first season, you get a taste of both the castaways continued efforts to get rescued and their acceptance of the necessity to adjust to an indefinite duration of stay on the island.
I recently bought the Complete First Season and watched all 37 episodes in three days. I have seen all of them (except the pilot) many times in syndication. Still, I never get bored of this stuff.
The only reason I gave the product four stars instead of five was because of the awful omission of any worthwhile extras. The "Before the 3 Hour Tour - profiles on your favorite castaways" was nothing but a couple of minutes of information about each character. The worst was the "Gilligan's Island Survival Guide - a funny look at how not to survive on an island". I found absolutely nothing funny about it. The guy (Buck Thomas?) who hosted it was a moron. He makes Gilligan seem
capable enough to run for office.
It would have been much better had a documentary been included that chronicled everything from how the show came about, to what sorts of things happened during filming, to the fact that the show has stayed in syndication for 40 years.
In fairness, I have not yet listened to the commentary by creator Sherwood Schwartz that is included with the "lost pilot episode" or the Tropical Trivia Tidbits.
My hope is that the remaining two season of the show will eventually be released on DVD. If so, hopefully there will be better extras and that idiot Buck Thomas will have been expelled from the society of intelligent life forms.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Gilligan fans, Feb. 13 2004
T O'Brien (Chicago, Il United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Gilligan's Island The Complete First Season is a must have for fans of the 1960's comedy. Everything you could want is here. The 3-disc set includes all 36 episodes from the first season presented in standard black and white. The episodes look great in black and white rather than that awful color that was inserted into them while on TBS. The DVD also includes the lost pilot episode with three different cast members alongside Gilligan, the Skipper, and the Howells. Also on the DVD are tropical tidbits about certain episodes, profiles on how the cast was selected, and a tropical island survival guide.
The excellent cast really made this show what it was. Bob Denver as Gilligan, Alan Hale JR as the Skipper, Jim Backus as Thurston Howell III, Natalie Schaefer as Lovie Howell, Tina Louise as Ginger, Russell Johnson as the Professor, and Dawn Wells as Mary Ann made up one of the best ensemble casts in television history. Fans of this much loved show should run out and buy Gilligan's Island The Complete First Season. You will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars WELCOME TO THE ISLAND, Feb. 10 2004
The Critic (Windsor, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Everyone knows the song G.I.L.L.I.G.A.N. spells GILLIGAN! First of all let me say what a treat it is to finally have "Gilligan's Island" on DVD. The picture and sound are about as clean and crisp as ever and definitely better than I remember seeing on any television viewing. The first season of "Gilligan's Island" contains all 37 hilarious episodes filmed in glorious Black & White and they are presented as originally filmed in broadcast order. For "Gilligan's Island" fans this set is an absolute steal and the only way to get season one completely uncut and unedited and ready for the whole family to enjoy. The extra features and (unaired pilot) are a welcomed bonus for Gilligan's fans, but we all know that more bonus material exists and it should have been included. I hope that this set is well received by fans of the show, so we can get the remaining seasons on DVD. The only negative comment I have about this set is the use of the dreaded double sided discs instead of single sided discs. Amazon's price is the cheapest I've seen anywhere to purchase this classic series and once you have it you can enjoy "Gilligan's island" over and over again.

The Memorable Cast:
Bob Denver - Gilligan
Alan Hale Jr - The Skipper
Jim Backus - Thurston Howell III
Natalie Schafer - Lovey Wentworth Howell
Tina Louise - Ginger Grant (The Movie Star)
Russell Johnson - The Professor

- They're Off and Running
- Three to Get Ready

Disc 3 - Side B
- Forget Me Not
- Diogenes, Won't You Please Go Home?
- Physical Fatness