5.0 out of 5 stars Just Sit Right Back...
I was very pleased with the purchase of this Fantastic Boxed Set.
Published on Feb. 9 2004 by Trevor William Douglas

3.0 out of 5 stars A DVD set not up to standards
Everyone has heard of Gilligan's Island since it first set sail in America's living rooms in September 1964. Such fans of the show have been waiting for complete season sets for many, many years. I must say that I, too was thrilled to learn, in September 2003 that Warner-Brothers were planning to release the First Season of Gilligan's Island. One of their promises, I...
Published on Feb. 21 2004 by algebra74

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Sit Right Back..., Feb. 9 2004
Trevor William Douglas (Gorokan, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I was very pleased with the purchase of this Fantastic Boxed Set.
Until now I had only seen the BW episodes cut to around 18 minutes! The set features every episode from the first season and the prints are excellent. The unaired PILOT with audio commentary by Sherwood Schwartz is both entertaining and informative. The banter bewteen The Skipper and Gilligan in Two On A Raft is a pure comic gem, especially when they end up back on the island. I found myself laughing out loud at some the Skipper's reactions to Gilligan's dialogue.
I advise anyone who has been a fan of this classic show or is just discovering it for the first time, to add it to your collection. I eagerly await season two, hopefully with some comments from Bob, Dawn or Russell and of course Sherwood!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great TV Series!!, Jan. 15 2009
I just recieved my copy of Gilligan's Island: The Complete Series and it sure brings back alot of memories....I remember coming home from school..heading into the living room to turn the channel to the 4:30pm airing of my favorite TV show!....I use to watch it everyday and my Mom would complain that " Did'nt you see that episode already?"...I would say "Yes!...but it gets better everytime you watch it!"...I know she wanted to watch the Young and the Restless but allowed me to be entertained for the half hour.
Every episode is just plain funny!...Gilligan's antics never stop....he is sooo clumsy!...QUIZ: do you know where Sherwood Schwartz got the name Gilligan from?.....by fanning through the local phonebook and ending up on a person whose real name was Gilligan!..and that Gilligan's actual shirt sold at an auction for $28,000!
All 9 discs contain all 98 episodes..even the pilot episode!..it's great to see all the guest stars again that visited the island and were able to get off and yet the seven standed castaways still remained!
A great TV series to laugh with your kids containing no vulgar language or nudity...only pure laughter!
Re-live your childhood again by picking up the Complete Series.....you sure will enjoy seeing those episodes again and again.Gilligan's Island: The Complete Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids and adults, Jan. 6 2010
I purchased this for my kids for Christmas and they couldn't get enough of it. They loved the old episodes (even in black and white). My husband and I also enjoyed seeing some of these shows again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, May 21 2009
Peter Dyck - See all my reviews
Fantastic series. Our children can't get enough of Gilligan's Island.
Excellent delivery. Product was here before the promised date and packaged well. Definitely order from Amazon.ca again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven stranded castaways, June 16 2004
andy8047 (Nokomis,Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Sherwood Schwartz who would later create and produce "The Brady Bunch",created and produced this awesome series about seven stranded castaways on Gilligan's Island. Here are the episodes from the first season,1964-65. Bob Denver is Gilligan,a sailor. The late Alan Hale is the Skipper,who has a love/hate friendship with Gilligan. The late Jim Backus,famous for the voice of the animated Mr. Magoo,is a wealthy man named Thurston Howell III. The late Natalie Schaefer is Lovey Howell,Thurston's wife. Tina Louise is a young,beautiful film actress named Ginger Grant. This season,in which the episodes were black and white,featured recurring characters,a professor and a young girl named Mary Ann,respectively portrayed by Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells. Those characters were not mentioned in the theme song since they were recurring. They were part of "all the rest". Thurston is referred to as "the millionaire" and Ginger is "the movie star". One highlight from this season is the episode or few episodes where a young Kurt Russell guest-starred. He was then 13 years old. Colorized versions of these episodes aired on cable television's TNT(Turner Network Television). To the best of my knowledge,this series is the only one in which colorized versions of black and white episodes aired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as it should be..., June 1 2004
John Robinson "john" (Yokohama, Kanagawa Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Imagine how you would put this collection together: You would want something from the creator (Sherwood Shwartz, hope I spelled it correctly); you would want something about the cast; you would want the episodes in all their pristine, black & white, first season glory with excellent sound.
Well, it is all here. I have no problem with the double sided DVD's (remember, what it says on the side facing up is what you get when it plays. If you can see "side B" staring at you when you put it in the player, that is what will play), no problem with the rather attractive fold-out case (which includes helpful synopes of the episodes on the cover, without spoilers no less. Very thoughfully done). I have alot of DVDS and these were easier than average to remove from the case (Star Trek: Next Gen were far more difficult, for example).
Add to that the extremely favorable price and this is surely one of the best buys in DVD land. This is also the one American comedy series that my Japanese wife enjoys (well, Japanese comedy is pretty low brow and loveable as well).
Buy it now. It is the right thing to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series but concerned about disks, Feb. 18 2004
Donald J. Wurzelbacher (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
When you mention "Gilligans Island" most people immediately can identify the 1960s sitcom. Either you like it or you don't. I have been a fan of the show for many years and never get tired of the sight gags and stunts. This was a very unique program, unlike your typical sitcom set in someone's home. The show was written mostly for children but was enjoyable for adults as well. It is one of the few programs that is truly "family friendly". I had the honor of meeting three stars of the show: Bob Denver, Russell Johnson, and Dawn Wells. These actors are outstanding people who did the best job they could while on this series. I not only have great respect for them but for this little show that never dies. And that tells you how well the show was made. Most people expected the show to never be sold, much less lasting past one season. Instead it has been on the air since 1964.
The stories are fun to watch, all complete and uncut. The quality of the picture is excellent, for the age of the show. My only concern is the packaging. There are three disks, all double sided. Fortunately, it looks like right now the disks are fine, but I have had difficulties in the past with double sided disks because they scratch so easily. I also find it difficult to read which side I am on and which episodes I am watching. But it does keep it very compact and the package is handsome.
The extras are not much to speak of. Sherwood Schwartz gives a commentary during the pilot, which also has a short extra scene not shown in the original video version. This also has me wondering how much footage is around that we still don't get to see.
There is a "survival Guide" which is terrible, in my opinion. But I bought it for the episodes, not the extras. And the price is right, so that helps.
Overall, if you are a GI fan, then you will probably purchase this series right away. If not, well, then you probably don't even need to be reading this review. I hope this package sells in order to bring out seasons 2 and 3 so it's complete.
All in all, this is fun, family entertainment and I only wish today's television programming was like this so that I would feel comfortable having everyone watch the tube. In today's world of sex jokes, vulgar language, and explicit scenes dealing with everything from adultery to gay couples, I am glad Gilligans Island gives me something to laugh at, which is what a COMEDY is supposed to do, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Gilligan fans, Feb. 13 2004
T O'Brien (Chicago, Il United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Gilligan's Island The Complete First Season is a must have for fans of the 1960's comedy. Everything you could want is here. The 3-disc set includes all 36 episodes from the first season presented in standard black and white. The episodes look great in black and white rather than that awful color that was inserted into them while on TBS. The DVD also includes the lost pilot episode with three different cast members alongside Gilligan, the Skipper, and the Howells. Also on the DVD are tropical tidbits about certain episodes, profiles on how the cast was selected, and a tropical island survival guide.
The excellent cast really made this show what it was. Bob Denver as Gilligan, Alan Hale JR as the Skipper, Jim Backus as Thurston Howell III, Natalie Schaefer as Lovie Howell, Tina Louise as Ginger, Russell Johnson as the Professor, and Dawn Wells as Mary Ann made up one of the best ensemble casts in television history. Fans of this much loved show should run out and buy Gilligan's Island The Complete First Season. You will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC LITTLE BUDDY!!, Feb. 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
My DVD Boxed Set arrived today. All I can say is congratulations to TPTB for putting out such an excellent product. The shows have been remastered and the video and sound quality is superior in every way!!!
And best of all....no cuts.....and all in glorious black and white. Its wonderful to see Gilligan's Island complete without the botched up editing done on television. Its a pleasure to watch such fantastic 'escapism' fare. Those of us who grew up watching Gilligan after school will appreciate this product. And the price is very reasonable.
As for extras we got the original pilot episode with the three actors who were the original professor, ginger and Mary Ann (Bunny). Sherwood Shwartz has a commentary along with the episode that is informative and entertaining at the same time. The background info on the castaways and the trivia tidbits are also appreciated. The only thing I didn't like was the cheesy Survivor Guide....I don't know why they didn't have Bob Denver, Dawn Wells and Russell Johnson (and TIna Louise if they could get her....)do tidbits on the show instead of capitalizing on the SURVIVOR craze which in my estimation has always been a 'stupid' show. Why they did this, I cannot imagine. But its an easy thing to overlook.
The rest is just fantastic as I said. The package had 3 two sided discs with 7 episodes on each side. The quality is superb!! This is the way to package and put out 1/2 hour series DVDs.
Go out and buy this if you're a Gilligan fan. You will not be disappointed. Its a fantastic product. And I understand why Dawn Wells was the cast member who got the most fan mail during the run of the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Gilligan's Island, then buy these DVDs!!, March 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Any true fan of Gilligan's Island must own this three DVD set. There are even a surprising number of extras offered (unlike certain other t.v. show's DVD sets!!), including the original Lost Pilot. Also, all of the black-and-white episodes are presented as they were originally filmed and meant to be seen, in glorious black-and-white, not colorized!! They are a bargain for the money. You get 37 (including the Lost Pilot) complete, uncut and unedited (and uncolorized!!) wonderful episodes, the entire First Season, which offers many of the very best episodes of a show that is always fun and helps you forget your troubles for awhile. Gilligan's Island lives!! BUY IT NOW!! To quote part of the show's original opening theme, "and the rest..........", when will they also be available on DVD??

Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season