4.0 out of 5 stars Original cut of Aliens is infinitely better.
Published on Oct. 12 2005 by Sandra Kasturi

3.0 out of 5 stars Theatrical Release vs Special Edition
I give it 3 1/2 stars. The Special Edition of the movie is highly over-rated. The movie wasn't all that scary. The one thing I hated was that you would see the alien for a second and then it would be shot to death. It made the aliens look like they were harmless. I don't like the Special Edition because you have to wait an hour before the marines land on the planet...
Published on Jan. 20 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Original cut of Aliens is infinitely better., Oct. 12 2005
Sandra Kasturi "kelpqueen" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens (Special Edition) (DVD)
I don't know what the Editorial reviewers above were thinking, but it just makes me want to smack my forehead in disbelief. The original cut of Aliens is MUCH better than the Director's Cut. This was back when Jim Cameron still knew how to make a great movie--long before the bloated and tiresome Titanic. The extra scenes in Aliens: Reloaded add absolutely nothing. We don't need to know EXACTLY how the colony got decimated by the aliens. We just know it has been. The NOT knowing is what is really scary. By adding in that scene at the beginning showing exactly how the alien ship is discovered by the colonists and how the "infection" begins--well, it just completely blows all suspense in the first third of the film. By not showing that, it puts the viewers on the edge of their seats--we KNOW something has gone horribly wrong, but we don't really know anything for certain. That's what tension is all about. That's how Cameron gives you that creeping dread for so long--that's why, when there's the first big (fake) scare on the planet, you practically jump out of your skin--because you've been so tense for so long! Don't shoot your wad by over-explaining. As for establishing how Ripley's daughter grew up and died while Ripley was a frozen popsicle for 60 years? Well, boo-hoo. Total bathos. Frankly, I thought it was much better that she bonded with Newt without any explanation, except the fact that how on earth could ANYONE not bond with and not care for that smart, brave kid? And she goes back for Newt because of their bond, and because it's the Right Thing To Do. Hello? Do we need the melodrama of Ripley's lost daughter for that to be emotionally genuine and satisfying? No, we don't. I was so glad not to have some kind of maudlin back story to explain people's relationships to me. I can fill in the blanks myself, thanks. Audiences are not that stupid. None of the added scenes in the Director's Cut of Aliens are needed. Watch the original. Accept no substitutes. And now that the original is finally available on DVD, which it wasn't for a long time--well, there's just no excuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why Special Edition's are made!, May 19 2000
E. D. Garcia "Biggie-E" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens (Special Edition) (DVD)
Aliens is NOT a rehash of Alien. They are completely different films. While Alien used suspence and shock factor to get the audience (I didn't drink milk for weeks after seeing it!), Aliens is an action-packed powerhouse. Heart-pounding, edge-of-your-seat cinema at it's finest. My hat is off to James Cameron for directing and re-writing the script.
Quick rundown of the plot of Aliens:
Flight Lt. Ripley (Sigorney Weaver) wakes up after an unusually long hyper-sleep to find out that the horror she left behind in "Alien" has taken on massive proportions.
You'll see a bunch of familar faces in Aliens:

Michael Biehn (Terminator, The Abyss) as Hicks
Paul Reiser (Mad About You, Diner) as Burke
Lance Henrikson (Millennium, The Quick and the Dead) as Bishop
Bill Paxton (Twister, Titanic) as Hudson
...and a few others that will make you do a double-take. -See if you can figure out what other movie "Private Vasquez" was in with Bill Paxton.
The visual effects are astounding. Thanks to DVD, details can be seen that were blurred in the VHS format. (I can finally read what is written on Ferro's helmet!) This film takes clear advantage of the DVD format and its THX re-mastering. I feel sorry for you if you don't have a large screen and full surround-sound at home for this one! Watching it in wide-screen format reveals all of the detail that has been missing for so long in the pan-and-scan format.
The Special Edition goodies include scenes that were cut from the theaters. The "new" footage (previously only available in LaserDisc format) blend seamlessly into the film. They all add value. I kept thinking "I don't remember that" and "HEY! NOW I get it!" If you've never seen the 17 minutes of added footage, you're in for a treat!
You'll also find Behind the Scenes footage and a photo gallery in the Special Edition. All perks that make this purchase worth while. Even the main menu on the DVD is a treat.
Do yourself a favor, buy this action classic and watch it the way it was intended to be seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, Jan. 17 2014
This review is from: Aliens (Special Edition) (DVD)
It was purchased for my son. He loved it, and feels that it is a good quality movie, and that's all I need!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review about this version, June 22 2013
This is one of the best results that you could wish for when upgrading an old movie to blu-ray. It looks almost as if it had been re-filmed. The images are so bright and defined, it's beautiful. I recommend it to anyone loving this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars ALIENS!!!!!!, June 19 2013
Awesome Blu Ray for the price. Not that many extras on it but the remastering team has done a good job making this movie look and sound even better!! Recommended for fans!

4.0 out of 5 stars Second only to the first Alien, April 13 2013
The DVD has pretty good resolution, and the film is entertaining and engaging. However, I still prefer the first in the series. Compared to the 'Alien' and 'Aliens', the other two sequels pale in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic ..., March 16 2013
This review is from: Aliens (Special Edition) (DVD)
Both the original Alien and this first sequel are among the best in horror / sci-fy. I saw it so many times on TV that it simply had to be part of my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars WOA THT WAS A GOOD SEQUAL, Nov. 29 2011
This review is from: Aliens (Special Edition) (DVD)
Aliens is one of the best scfi movies of all time I only gave it 4 on 5 because i ranther watch an action movie but it still is EPIC because it has action suspence people who dont like scfi should still see this movie because it has everything in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie to watch..., Dec 28 2008
This review is from: Aliens (Special Edition) (DVD)
I never had seen Aliens series films before. I was avoiding them thinking that I have seen enough modern version of sci-fi and alien films. Seeing good review, I watched first Alien and then Aliens. Both films are superb. They maintain the suspense through out the film. I don't know what was the magic in these old films that is hard to beat in new sci-fi films even with all the new computer generated imageries. Sigourney Weaver acting is superb. Character Ripley shows that how in crisis situation only some are naturally born to take the lead. I recommend watching the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars more sci-fi/action than horror,but a better movie than the origninal, Oct. 6 2007
This review is from: Aliens (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) [Import] (DVD)
although Aliens is not the iconic film that alien is,it is still a
better film.this film adds a new element by having multiple aliens
rather than just the one.it improves upon the look of the creatures,and
while maintaining high suspense,adds more action.this film is less
character driven than the first.the characters are more developed
though and there is more of a group dynamic going on.we have some of
the characters fighting each other,as well as the alien threat.the
pacing is a bit better in this film.Obviously,this film is not
responsible for the rebirth of horror/sci fi,since the original lays
claim to that.but it is,in its own right a classic and will be
remembered for a long time to come. 5/5