5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally Intense Sailor Moon Movie
This review is for the edited, dubbed version. I have not seen the uncut one.
Published on April 10 2004 by L. Mintah

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't get near Sailor Moon S-Hearts in Ice (dubbed)
I would like to say that this movie was unexceptable in many ways. First of all, Sailor Moon R-Promise of the Rose was my favorite out of all three, and this movie just did not live up to my standards.
Published on April 17 2002 by KS

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally Intense Sailor Moon Movie, April 10 2004
This review is from: Sailor/S Hearts.. (VHS Tape)
This review is for the edited, dubbed version. I have not seen the uncut one.
Hearts in Ice is a beautiful, action-packed, sailor-stuffed movie that will make you cry. For an animated movie, the love story in "Hearts" is as intense as one in any German opera or Russian novel. And, the one struck by Cupid's arrow is not one of our schoolgirls or their chums - it is little Luna.
Every senshi is in this movie, with the exception of Sailor Saturn. We get to see them all work together, ALL their gorgeous transformations, and ALL their attacks. The climatic battle where they all unite is amazing, and had to be saved for a film: it is too cinematic for a thirty-minute TV episode.
The lameness of the villian and her annoying henchmen can be overlooked because of the crisp and gorgeous animation and the skilled voice talents. The winter setting is a refreshing change from the perpetual spring/summer of the series.
I do not feel I have missed out by watching the dubbed, edited version. I own a variety of both sub and dub, cut and uncut SM, so I know what I am saying when I feel nothing has been compromised here. Finally, this movie is not a short one like SM R. It is a full-length feature, so you will get your money's worth, even if you pay list price.

4.0 out of 5 stars The SS one is better, April 13 2003
EA Simpson,EA Simpson (Montpelier, Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon S: The Movie (DVD)
Okay, I know for a fact that they cut some stuff out of the dub of this series, but there was one thing that they left in, which really was rather important to all of those Haruka/Michiru fans out there.
The outer senshi, who are by far the coolest people on the show, do a lot with slightly obsessiveness and 'We cannout work with you' in the S series, which makes it hard for some to figure why they are in this movie, doing the whole 'I won't let you die, Sailor Moon'.
Frankly, the only one who would care if Sailor Moon lived or died out of the outer senshi would be Pluto, and that's only because she knows what's gunna happen to them ^^.
The dub of this movie was quite bad. But the main reason that I bought it was to see if there really was something going on between Uranus and Neptune. They dubbed it clever, but some of the action you couldn't take out.
Like when Haruka (rather protectively) grabs Michiru and pulls her out of the way of a 'snow faerie'.
So what? The dub was good, so much can be said for the voices, which ... I really did like Pu's voice in the R series, what ever happened to that Voice Actress? But all in All. DVD would be the best way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars As always: ONE IN A MILLION, July 12 2002
This review is from: Sailor/S Hearts.. (VHS Tape)
There's a lot to say about this series and a few words can't describe how this anime makes me feel. Naoko Takeuchi makes her character so real sometime you forget they are only drawings one t.v. Everything is heartfelt and even though the plot looks the same as any plot in a heroine/hero movie or series it isn't. The earth is attacked by an ice maiden(if you want to call her that) she wants to freeze the earth and to make it a pretty piece of crystal she can put in the rest of her collection. First the enemy has to face the sailor scouts, what makes this series special is that all the scouts are in presence (in exception of saturn) the story is very heartfelt and it will make some cry. Everything has a point every detail makes a difference in it's own self. All I have to say it's wow, the translation has weak points but it still doesn't affect the exellence of this great series. The music as always amazing and pleasing to hear and adds more greatness to the anime. Th great speech given by sailor moon to the ice maiden and all the scouts fighting together including the outer sailor previously not very favorable with the inner scouts. This movie is worth it and takeuchi is at her best. Heartfelt, Funny and Important UNFORGETTABLE!!AMAZING!!HEARTS ON ICE MORE LIKE HEARTS ON FIRE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meow--this is Luna's show all the way, April 23 2002
Daniel J. Hamlow (Narita, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon S (VHS Tape)
Of the three full length movies, of which I have the subtitled versions, S is my favourite. Why? It has classic sci-fi archetypes, such as strange meteors falling to Earth heralding alien invasion, ancient myths turning out to be fact, and aliens exhibitng powers of extreme cold. There might also be a spin-off the the Japanese Yuki-onna (snow demoness) who lure exhausted travellers having collapsed in blizzard to sleep.
While stargazing, Kakeru, an astronomer, finds a comet, parts of which land. He drives out to where a particle landed, only to find an odd shaped crystal, which turns out to be a weapon that can turn Earth into a giant spherical popsicle for a Snow Queen. Not only that, but over time, it drains him of his life energy.
Before long, the Snow Queen sends her Snow Dancers to hunt down the crystal. In the process, they zap people and cars, turning them into blocks of ice. Once the Sailor Scouts repel the forward party, the ice melts, and things instantly go back to normal, as if nothing has happened. Things settle down after that, but that's the proverbial calm before the storm.
The key character and the most likeable is none of the humans, but Luna the female black cat. A concerned Guardian type who scolds Usagi to study for her entrance exams, she starts the story with a fever, foolishly walks home in her ill state, and is nearly run over by a sports car if not for Kakeru, who throws himself in harm's way and prevents her from being roadkill. So touched is Luna, that she starts to fall in love with the human to the point that she wishes she were human. She keeps thinking "I'm only a cat." Well guess what? There's nothing "only" about being a cat. A funny moment is when Kakeru thinks that whoever named Luna must be elegant. We're then treated to a thought of Luna of Usagi, who is laughing loudly.
If there is a theme here, it is the conflict between cold, scientific logic, and mystical romanticism. Kakeru, despite being having doctorates in physics, biology, medicine, and astronomical engineering, might be better suited as a poet or fantasy writer in contrast to his girlfriend Himeko. A parallel can also be seen between the learned white cat Artemis and the tender-hearted Luna. This struggle is magnified in the struggle between the Snow Queen and the Sailor Scouts. The difference is, the struggle can be reconciled on a human level. Scientists and romantics are perfect opposites for each other.
Maybe this is a goof or intended, but when transforming into their super selves, the sequence shows Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. Surely Venus should have come second?
There is also the concept of happiness being a compliment of sadness, a theme also referred to in the Doctor Who story The Happiness Patrol. That's basically what Sailor Moon tells the Snow Queen in the confrontation between them.
Not bad of its type, and the story is long enough to flesh out the plot, and these characters in particular: Luna, Kakeru, and Moon. Enjoy, and from Luna, ï¿Meooooww!ï¿

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't get near Sailor Moon S-Hearts in Ice (dubbed), April 17 2002
This review is from: Sailor Moon S: The Movie (DVD)
Secondly, the voices in the dubbed (especially Trista's {Setsuna's} were off. Also, there were many, how should I say, "sappy" morals in the story, which I don't care for.
Third, the movie was based on Luna and the human Kakuru, and how Luna learns how to truly love.
It's also about a new enemy, but her actual name is never really mentioned. (I suppose that she is Snow Princess Kagua?)
Snow Princess Kagua wants to freeze the Earth to make it part of her "collection."
She uses her snow dancers to turn the city that Sailor Moon is living and continents around the world into a world of death-a peaceful slumber trapped in ice.
Of course Super Sailor Moon uses her Silver Imperium Crystal and the aid of the Sailor Scouts...and you can decide what happens from there.
The story expands from there, if at all. I do not reccomend this movie for any Sailor Moon fan, subtitled, dubbed, or in any form available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Knights in White Satin, Sept. 28 2001
Usagi (Crystal Tokyo) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon S: The Movie (DVD)
Well, let me start off saying the sub is far better than the dub. But, then again, do I really need to say that? Most of the voices were really bad. You can barely make out what Sailor Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto were saying. Sailor Uranus just sorta blurted it out really fast and that was it. The story was ok, although my brother could not make out as to why the Ice Queen sent out those crystals to earth, only to start looking for them again as if they were lost. The animation however was excellent, most of the story is too. I particularly like it when they finally give importance to Luna. She is mostly portrayed really strict. And yet in this one, we finally see the softer side of Sears...err...I mean Luna. In the end their suits turn all white and the sequence is beautiful. I actually gave it more stars than what I thought, mainly because I'm an über moonie. I strongly suggest you buy the sub. Also, Sailor Moon R movie is the best Sailor Moon movie out there. So, I suggest you buy the SMR movie before the SMS one. That one was well made, although some of the dubbing changed the story a little, it remains loyal to the original.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hearts in Ice ~ A Dubbed Tradgedy, Sept. 14 2001
Storyline

Winter time, a special time when family and friends come together to celibrate the birth of Christ, however a wicked snow witch is out to freeze over the Earth using her icy Snow Dancers and her evil life sucking crystal.

Kakeru, a well renowned scientist, is the one to find the crystal, and becomes the main source of the crystals energy. Luna falls in love with the scientist and learns of the female scientist, Himeko Nayotake, the woman who is to go up into space, and Kakeru's girlfriend.

While dealing with love, holidays, and a disappearing cat, will the Sailor Soldiers be able to defeat the Snow Princess, or will the Earth be turned into ice? The only way to find out is to watch the movie!

Review for Dub

I honestly can say that the dub of this okay, however, I can't say that without saying that the dub turns a good movie into a terrible one. Luna's voice, Jill Frappier, sounds a little too old for Luna in this movie. While she does a fabulous job, it just sounds a little bad, so I recommend getting the subtitled version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailor Moon S Movie= SUPER! ^_^, Aug. 9 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Sailor/S Hearts.. (VHS Tape)
When I was Sailor Moon R (romance) the Movie, I enjoyed it. It was good, and it made me want to see the S movie. Already, Sailor Moon S (super) series was my favorite, and I couldn't wait to see the movie. I got it for last Christmas (how appropriate^_^) and I watched it the entire Christmas vacation! EVERYDAY! The storyline was great and I loved the animation. It was... super!! ^_^
But every good thing has a few bad touches to it. First, I felt the movie had a little too much chit-chat at some sceens. Second, who the hell did the Outer senshi's vioces?? I positively hated Uranus', and Pluto's wasn't anyway near better. Neptune's was the same vioce of Serena's (Usagi's) MOM! And it made her sound older than she was, though I'd gladly listen to it instead of the other two outers vioces. Third, although the ending was GREAT, I really don't think Luna's vioce suited her in that sceen. If you thought Neptune's vioce made her sound older for a teen, you should hear Luna's! In the original, Luna's vioce was of a teen, and that's why Luna (human form) is a teen. But I like the dub vioce for her "cat form".
Other than those reasons, the movie was great! And fans, don't hate DIC for making Chibi Moon's name Mini Moon. "Chibi" in Japanese means "small" or "tiny" so "mini" is just as good I suppose, and it makes sense to little kids. Besides, I think "Mini Moon" is just adorable for her. And if you've heard Mini Moon's vioce in the Sailor Moon S series dub, it fits everything together. (Her vioce is just the sweetest in the S and SuperS dub.) ^_^
The movie was great, it definately deserves 5 stars! Maybe more! ^_^ Hope this helped you. ^_^

4.0 out of 5 stars Can A Cat Love? Sailor Moon S- Hearts on Ice, April 16 2001
"anime_chick" (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor/S Hearts.. (VHS Tape)
The movie was cool, I liked it. It was funny and touching. I was extra happy that The Outer Senshi were in it since that was my first time seenin them on TV. Heres the deal, Its a couple days before Christmas and The girls are outta school. A mad woman, a princess I should say, an ice princess wants to turn the Earth into a 'Crystal Ball'. The Scouts team up and stop her. (The ending was surprising thats all I can say! ^_^) The movie was mainly based on Luna, Usagi's (or 'Sererna')cat. Luna falls for this one human who saved her life. (She was about to be hit by a car) The human is fasinated by the moon and dreams that there was life on the moon and actually a REAL princess who lived there.(Tee hee hee) The man becomes ill and Luna tries her best to help him, his GIRLFRIEND tries to help to. During this Luna also has an admiror, Artmeis. Luna is so busy with this human she doesn't even notice Arty. At the end Luna gives up and decides that it wasn't possible for a cat like her to love a human. Luna finally finds out about how Artimes feels about her and they live happily ever after. But the question is, how do the senshi destroy Snow Princess Kaguya? Get the movie and find out!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the Original...., Dec 22 2000
Mike Obradovich (Iron Mountain, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor/S Hearts.. (VHS Tape)
I'm sorry to all of you that really enjoyed this dubbed movie, but I, myself, did not find it that good. I ordered the Japanese (English Subtitled) version and I found it to be very good, however: This was before the English release of the dub.
THE BAD: 1.)The Voice Actors are terrible, with the exception of Pluto, most of the voices are loud, screechy, and obnoxiously annoying. 2.) The Japanese name pronoucing sounds terrible! (Kakaru sounds like Kangaroo when I hear it!) 3.) They dub a few good scenes out and a few lines. 4.) The lyrics to the music change. and 5.) Two words: Mini Moon (instead of Chibi-Moon, which in my opinion, sounds much more appealing.
THE GOOD: The drawings aren't touched much, except for the shadowing of the cleavage shown during the Transformation.
All in all, if you are a fan of Sailor Moon, please don't buy this one yet. I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest buying the Subtitled one first and then renting the dub to see the difference (you'll be VERY surprised)

Sailor Moon S: The Movie
Sailor Moon S: The Movie by Hiroki Shibata (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 179.80