Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Kitchen Tools

Format: Audio CDChange

on October 23, 2015
good mix of songs by a cool jazz presenter.
on December 12, 2013
I loved this album. It's a nice departure into true jazz which highlights her own songs and gives the listener examples of some of her best throaty vocal styling.
on June 5, 2013
We spent a long weekend in a nice hotel, nice enough to spend lots of time in the room. We put this CD in the CD player and never took it out. Wonderful music. When we came home, we ordered two of the CD's, one for us and one for my Dad. He was listening to it in his room too and loved it.
on February 7, 2013
This is another replacement recording that I have purchased this year, I have enjoyed listening to it again. I would recommend it to other fans.
on August 19, 2011
This is some of the best music I have heard in some time and long overdue from Ms. Krall. I've listened to it so many times I think I may have to buy a replacement before I totally wear it out. Congratulations to Krall and Costello for a wonderful album.
on April 9, 2010
This is, to my mind, Diana Krall's most interesting, most unconventional CD. I'm sorry to see so many negative or dubious comments, because the song selection and the execution of this album are really outstanding. Especially if you are not a fan of the so-called 'standards', Diana's interpretation of Tom Waites, Joni Mitchell and even her own original material (written with her husband, superlative songwriter Elvis COstello), is subtle, artful and daring. I absolutely love this CD and have played it over and over, until even my husband (a diehard bluesman) has said 'that's enough to make me like jazz'! Diana, if you're listening, PLEASE do another one like this!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 3, 2007
Some people like Diana better when she surrounds herself with a lush orchestra and delivers well-known songs that perfectly complement a romantic dinner. "The girl in the other room" offers something less accessible, but all the more challenging for the listener. Diana Krall released this album after a serie of somewhat slick, polished albums of standards that turned her into an international top-selling artist; while those albums were excellent, you could feel the risk of Diana turning herself into a slightly more generic singer than her earlier works promised. This made "The girl in the other room" a necessary move - although it was not exactly a huge departure from a musical point of view, it did bring things down to a more intimate affair, less oriented towards AC-ballroom ballads and more towards a spare, intimate sound, closer to her blues and jazz roots.

Diana wrote most of the songs on this album, and the album gains an appealing intimacy that some of her previous albums lacked. You can feel Ms Krall stepping away from her slick crooner appeal, and letting her hair down to share her thoughts and feelings. Songs like the title track, "Narrow daylight", "Abandoned masquerade" or the album's emotional centerpiece "Departure Bay" reveal an artist with palpable honesty and emotional substance, something that albums like "The look of love" didn't necessarily demonstrate. And when she does turn to outside writers for material, she does so with panache : tracks like "Temptation", "Love me like a man", "Black crow", "Almost blue" or the catchy opener "Stop this world" are just as fantastic, and sound more personal than some of her previous covers. It's not just the fact that some of the tracks were written by Diana - she delivers each song with a personal approach, a more subdued production, and the album is wrapped into a nostalgic, poignant sheen that makes it a special affair.

The album somewhat divided Diana's fans. I feel it's her personal best. Some don't. Judge for yourself - and whether or not you appreciate the album, I'm sure you'll admit it's still miles ahead of lots of adult-oriented music.
on July 19, 2004
I went to two jazz concerts recently one by Diana Krall, and one by Dena Derose. Diana perforrmed most of the songs from her latest album. It simply wasn't up to her standards, musically or vocally. I was hoping in concert that Diana would really sell these songs. I hate to say this but, they don't sound much better live than her CD, songs performed went over with less than enthusiastic reception-- all the songs were slow and boring, felt no emotion, and "many people left halfway through the concert."This was very disappointing". ANOTHER CONCERT, more enjoyable was Dena Derose. Dena DeRose gets inside the lyrics, and with a slight vibrato to end her phrases and a luxurious tone, she can be absolutely commanding. Her phrasing as a singer is immaculate. Her strong piano soloing is a pleasure, Versatile, resourceful, and genuine, Dena DeRose is without a doubt one of jazz's most exciting singers. Dena DeRose is a singer-pianist who gives deeply-felt life to her interpretations of ballads and standards. Her sense of phrasing and understanding of the lyrics is impeccable. Suddenly songs that I've heard hundreds of times before came alive as Dena sang the lyrics in a way that perfectly conveyed the story they were meant to tell.
on July 19, 2004
Diana Krall should be credited by helping to end the obnoxious screaming and yelling that became popular with the "love anthems" of Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, and Michael Bolton in the 90s. Thank goodness that is going out of style and this new calming and romantic sound is coming into vogue.
Unfortunately, this is probably a bit too watered down, introspective and muted to be exciting, passionate or particularly interesting for more than one listening. DIana's "Look of Love", "Love Scenes" and "Live in Paris" tower above this effort and I hope she gives us more of this type of brilliance again in the future.
This CD is imaginative, but seems aimless and confused.
on July 18, 2004
Don't like it? Your loss. Those of us in the know already realize that this recording will be a watershed in Ms. Krall's long and illustrious career. She has the musical gifts and the artistic sensitivity to make her one of the great jazz singer/pianists of her generation. Long live the Costello /Krall collaboration.