5.0 out of 5 stars My controls are locked, I can't eject!
Published on March 27 2004 by Florence Lawrenceston

3.0 out of 5 stars Season 1?
While I am ecstatic that GI*JOE has finally been released on DVD, I am disappointed to see that these shows aren't "Season 1". If they are going to say Season 1 then they should release Season 1's shows!
Published on June 22 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars My controls are locked, I can't eject!, March 27 2004
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
I can't stop watching this DVD... G.I. Joe is back and just as awesome as I remember. Some of the transfer leaves a bit to be desired, the opening of the regular episodes is from the second season, the extras are paltry at best, and a couple of those seriously old-school PSA's looked like they were dubbed on somebody's half-broken dual-deck VCR; But, shut up, Mr. Yuk, 'cause G.I. Joe is on DVD and they're kicking Cobra's all over my big screen TV in surround sound. It's kinda crappy, it's super-violent in that syndicated eighties way, and the laws of physics are right out the window. But it's more fun than a transforming Thundercat fighting a teenage mutant Care Bear.
DVD highlights include "Twenty Questions," a level headed look at the relationship between the military and the media, the "Pyramid of Darkness" movie, which boasts the most Cobra technological advancements per episode(Giant A. I. water-robots and fire-breathing eugenic monsters in the first episode alone,) and that crazy/wierd two-part Synthoid Conspiracy with the seriously acerbic clone Duke. But not "Cold Slither," the episode where Cobra makes Zartan and the Dreadnoks into a hair band, or "The Wrong Stuff," in which G. I. Joes parachute from space to directly in front of Joe H.Q. They're both in Season 1 Part 2. Buy it at the end of April. Yo Joe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected!!, March 5 2004
N. Lamb "mxpx316czhgxf" (Richmond, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
With all the new releases of the Transformers on DVD, it was only a matter of time before G.I. Joe showed up. What a memory trip! Actually, the first thing I was struck by was the storylines. Compared to Transformers, the writing for most of these episodes is superb. (A few are still rather weak, though.) I have rekindled my love of Zartan, who now that I think about it, looks like a guitar player in a Norwegian Black Metal band. (How cool would that be?!) The episodes are great and I am still disappointed that Cobra cannot figure out the way to world domination has nothing to do with kidnapping scientists. They waste so much time that way. Anyhow, among the more amusing things in this collection are the sound effects. Listen carefully and you will hear all sorts of sounds from the Star Wars movies...lightsabers, TIE Fighters, blaster fire!! I have noticed this with Transformers, too. It is pretty funny to hear the Cobra troops fire a weapon that sounds like the floating training ball Luke uses on the Millenium Falcon. They don't even bother to edit out the sound of Luke flicking the light saber off. This is still a great DVD and I will certainly waste a lot of time watching the episodes instead of studying.

5.0 out of 5 stars "..he never gives up he'll stay till the fights won..", Jan. 31 2004
DESTRO ATTACKS (loDIE, new joisey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
At long last,the g.i.joe series has finally made it to DVD. and rhino has done this dvd justice with a decent 5.1 audio mix and a lil bonus interview with joe scribe cristy marx who wrote the excellent synthoid conspriacy 2-parter. this series was ahead of it's time especially in regards to what's happening now. (terroism)i didn't care for the PSAs, i have enough of them on the gijoe movie disc and i wish rhino could include the animated 30 second marvel comic commercials (which IMHO were better than some of the series' epidsodes.)many praises go to steven gerber was the story editor of season 1. the series/toyline however did not appear without a bit of controversy; i.e. being regarded as a violent 30 minute toy commercial,one of the villians being regarded as a schzophrenic,etc. but to this very day GIJOE is still regarded as one of the biggest pop icons of the 80's along with miami vice,transformers etc. i'm not really looking forward to season 2 (which i'm sure rhino will realease)mainly because it was somewhat dissapointing and buzz dixon could as story editor did not cut it. although i did like arise serpentor arise.
btw the intro/theme still kicks ass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another nearly flawless Sunbow box set from Rhino, Jan. 27 2004
Garrett Aja (North Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
With Rhino's remastering of The Transformers nearly complete, it should come as no surprise that their next target for a wide DVD release has been G.I. Joe. Often considered to be the best of the toyline-related cartoons made by Marvel and Sunbow, the show has remained quite popular even as it has become overshadowed by the various comic book series produced by Marvel and Devil's Due.
The episodes are re-mastered in similar fashion to other Rhino sets, which is to say excellently. There's maybe one "new" error in the episodes (involving a card read by Mutt that must have been changed late in production), and two that have been corrected by digital means. The intros and credits, however, are not restored (as seems to be the case for the majority of said clips on the sets so far). The sound has been restored again with a new 5.1 mix, but there's a new wrinkle-the original audio has been included for *all* episodes, and identified as such. (In the past, the 2.0 track has been a crap shoot between a down mix from the 5.1 or the original audio.)
As for extras, there are two good interviews with Christy Marx and Wally Burr, and 24 of the classic PSAs (many of which did appear on the G.I. Joe: The Movie DVD, though)-which leaves about a dozen PSAs across Seasons 1 and 2 to be shown on future sets.
There are some relatively minor drawbacks, though. Other than the Pyramid of Darkness episodes, the intro is the one from Season 2, as opposed to the correct Season 1 intro. None of the episodes conclude with a PSA before the end credits, which may or may not irk some (even though so many of the PSAs are collected on disc 4). The PSAs themselves are in dicey shape (as to be expected when the 35mm masters for them are nowhere to be found), but two are in particularly poor shape-Torpedo's swimming PSA is sped up (implying that the only surviving version is a poor transfer), and Quick Kick's warning about getting help from adults when building tree houses looks suspiciously like it was cribbed from someone's bootlegged copy from the '80s (which means an official version may be lost forever). Also, the two computer-corrected moments (one involving Destro's Robotopus in Pyramid of Darkness and the other involving a close-up in Cobra's Creatures") may irk some viewers. However, given the popularity of some of the episodes making their first appearance on home video (such as the Pyramid of Darkness 5-parter), it's impossible to give nothing but the highest recommendation possible to this box set.

5.0 out of 5 stars YoJoe ! He'll fight for freedom where ever there's trouble., Jan. 20 2004
By A Customer
GI Joe is the codename for American's daring, highly trained
special mission force It's purpose, to defend human freedom against Cobraa ruthless, terrorist organization determined to rule the world.
Growing up in the 80's, we had it all as kids. The best TV. Great movies(well to some people we did). With besides some sort of vague nuclear threat from the Soviet Union (that's basically Russia for you kids who lived in USA. or are too young to remember).But one sure thing we had something else - the best toys what got turn into cartoons.Kids now days will never know the joy of transforming Bumblebee Nor will they ever see the GI Joe where the evil Dr. Mindbender, under the influence of the mysterious Destro, collected DNA from leaders of the past to create Serpentor and usurp Cobra Commander as the rightful leader of COBRA. Instead, they're watching the Rugrats try to leave their nursery or something else.
The GI Joe cartoon was a Marvel/Sunbow cartoon series that became a regular series in 1985.The show is about a military special forces group saving the world from a terrorist group called Cobra. It had excellent animation, a sensational voice cast and the greatest audio and video editing ever.This show is real good gem from 80's for us over the age of 24 who remenber they joys cameing home and watching it.
Yo JOE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, Jan. 11 2004
James Bull (Cambridge United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
This release has been postponed many times since it was first announced, but it looks we will finally be getting it now.
This volume should include the following episodes:
The Pyramid of Darkness part 1
The Funhouse
Twenty Questions
The Greenhouse Effect
Haul Down the Heavens
Synthoid Conspiracy (part 1)
Synthoid Conspiracy (part 2)
The Phantom Brigade
Lasers in the Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost There, Feb. 11 2004
Conner Kent (Burbank, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
This was a set I had always wanted, and I am so happy Rhino finally put it out. The PSA's, only some of which were on the Movie DVD release, are on here, and that's the highlight and great to be able to show friends.
I am disappointed to see that at least with the episodes I've seen so far, the 1986 opening titles are seen on "Season 1" episodes. I think partly because the 1985 version has always been a favorite of mine it's really too bad. (Do really need to see Serpentor, Sgt. Slaughter, Dr. Mindbender etc. on this set's opening titles if we don't see them in the episodes?)
But still... I was so happy these are on DVD, and one COULD argue that after a while the syndicated airings always went with the 1986 opening. It could be worse. We could have gotten the "Got To Get Tough" opening ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yo Joe!!!, Feb. 5 2004
J. Ledoux (Des Moines, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
I only expected a walk down memory lane when I ordered the first season of G.I. Joe, but this collection absolutely took me back in time. Each episode...exquisite! The only drawback was the worthless interviews on the fourth DVD. The public service announcements(PSA) were as I had always remembered and unchanged. This DVD set is a must for anyone who watched and played G.I. Joe in the 1980's.

5.0 out of 5 stars yyyyooooooo joooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeee!, May 1 2004
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
This box set is well worth the puchase a 5***** for sure.The only sad thing is that part 2 to this season was supposed to come out April 27 04 but now is pushed back to June 8 04 DOH! but regardless buy this item its a no brainer for all of you who remember how good this show was will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally on DVD. Here is proof that God does exist!, April 30 2004
Paul Schifferli (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 (DVD)
I am eternally greatful that G.I. Joe is finally on DVD. But the problem is I'm getting impatient! I want the rest of the cartoon! As well as the DiC cartoon. I know, I know.. The Dic cartoon wasn't very good, but it had a few good episodes, and the it's the principle of the thing for a Joe freak like me

G.I. Joe:S1
G.I. Joe:S1 by DVD (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 109.99 CDN$ 44.69