5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Delivery
The delivery was extremely quick.

Totally happy with the purchase.

This is a Christmas gift so we haven't watched the movie although I expect it will be good quality.
Published 19 months ago by MM

3.0 out of 5 stars See many child stars (now adults) from 1970's and 1980's.
This movie is really for the over 40 crowd. It makes fun of the television stars we all enjoyed when we were young kids, teenagers and young adults in the 1970's. Yes! The 1970's were the golden years of our life. Nowadays, if you remember the tv shows and music from the 1970's, you are considered "retrospective". Good for you! I bet you watch TV Land cable network...
Published on June 2 2004 by James McDonald

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Premise, Poor Execution, March 4 2004
Kevin Caffrey (Fredericksburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
As a child of the 80s, a premise that deals with a former child actor trying to make a comeback in the business after his life has hit the skids seemed great. Add to this the flurry of 70s & 80s nostalgia specials airing daily on VH1 and E! and I began to look forward to seeing "Dickie Roberts."
But, sadly, the movie basically never gets off the ground. The viewer knows right away that this is going to be a movie where the potential was wasted. A brief send-up of "The E! True Hollywood Story," which starts the film, has a couple of funny lines, but not nearly enough to indicate that the rest of the film will keep you interested. Like "Joe Dirt" (and any number of SNL-alum movies), the central character in "Dickie Roberts" is basically a sad-sack who yearns for love from those around him, and most importantly, his own family. However, after years of movies like this, in the year 2004, you're simply just asking yourself, "Again?" as the paperthin plot is revealed.
The movie *almost* redeems itself (kinda) with the "We are the World"-type closing credits video, "Childhood Actors of your TV," performed by the likes of Maureen McCormack, Barry Williams, Corey Feldman & Corey Haim, Screech (sorry, Dustin Diamond), and Haywood Nelson. Haywood Nelson should get his own movie. Who didn't love Doowayne? Anyway, even this great premise falls flat, and instead of a laugh riot (which it very well should have been), it's cringeworthy watching Adam Rich and some of the other childhood actors recite their lines.
But, if you have seen and like this movie, I will recommend you getting the DVD as there are a lot of extra features, from commentaries, to deleted scenes, to an extended-video of "Childhood Actors on your TV" and more. I give the movie 1 star, but the camp and train-wreck that I consider "Childhood Actors on your Television" to be gets 3 stars. So, that's how I came up with my 2 star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars With this plot, it doesn't get any better..., Feb. 27 2004
J. M Quiggins "Sole_Fish" (Owensboro, Ky. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
The idea for this movie is so thin it's practically transparent. 'People used to love me when i was famous, i wanna be loved again'. That's about it. However, with the injection of David Spade as the 'loveable' loser ,(well directed by partner and SNL alumni ADAM SANDLER!) , this movie has a sparkle. But, if you go by the first 30 minutes, it's plodding and mediocre at best. However, once the relationships are set up , the movie kicks into gear. Leaving you laughing and actually 'feeling' something for this loser. It has a wonderful background cast that will leave you wondering constantly where you recognize 'him' or 'her' from. This movie is also very short. About 1 hour and 15 minutes + credits. Not a lot of substance, but at least this one delivers in the end. The outtakes are side-splitting, and the bonus song by the 'former' child-stars is as creative as it can get. I loved this movie more than i expected to. Only Tommy Boy was better than this one when it comes to a Spade comedy.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It!!!!, Feb. 24 2004
Deana Ray "deeshops" (Georgetown, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie made me laugh, laugh, laugh. If you grew up watching all those old 70's sitcoms, you will love watching them in Dickie Roberts. There are some absolutely hilarious scenes where Dickie is trying to re-live his chidhood. Remember the Slip 'n Slide? Learning to ride your bike? You'll die watching Dickie learn....

5.0 out of 5 stars hysterical and oddly touching!, Feb. 23 2004
momazon "cjd" (Astoria, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
Dickie Roberts is a 1970s child star who is now a has-been. The movie opens with him on "Celebrity Boxing" getting beaten by "Webster's" Emmanuel Lewis. Then he is at poker night with Greg Brady, Screech, Corey Feldman, Leif Garrett and Danny Partridge. Dickie, abandoned by his mother when his career fizzled, craves the love he used to get as a star.
Determined to win a part in a new movie, which director Rob Reiner insists he needs a normal childhood, Roberts sets out to relive childhood with a normal family. Paying $20K to live with them for a month, he is hired by the father George --- who does not bother to tell wife Grace even though she has to 'raise' him. It's essentially a single-parent house, and Dickie breaks down the barriers with nothing more than smarmy charm and becomes friends with the 2 kids and Grace.
The boy Sam looks like a young Corey Feldman, which is weird. The daughter Sally is a really good actress, as is the woman who plays Grace. This is one of Spade's better works, definitely worth seeing more than once.

1.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU'RE A SPADE FAN DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE, Feb. 21 2004
Jeff Howard (South Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
I like David Spade and I thought JOE DIRT was his best movie. This one is terrible. I don't think I laughed once. Spade plays a washed up actor who decides to pay a family to give him the childhood he never head, so he will have the experience to play a roll in a Rob Reiner film. Spade cracks lame jokes throughout and ends up with the family's mother. (The father was a creep and Spade behaved himself throughout, so no need to shelter the kiddies.)
The only good thing about this film was the appearance of former child stars like Leif Garrett, Danny Boniducci, and Barry Williams. If they had had larger parts the movie might have been funnier. At the end during the credits a large group of child stars assemble to sing a "We Are the World" type song. The only reason I gave this POS a star.
Don't waste your time. See JOE DIRT instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Awful, Feb. 20 2004
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
I am not a huge David Spade fan, but he can make me laugh sometimes, especially in "Tommy Boy." This movie, on the other hand, seldom made me laugh. I just don't think Spade can carry a movie by himself. The jokes were tired and predictable, with something notably funny every 15-20 minutes. I won't even go into how amazingly absurd the premise is, because by now we all know what to expect of movies starring ex SNL cast members. All we can hope for are some good laughs, but this movie did not deliver.
The exception had to be the end credits, which was by far the highlight for me. The song performed by all the child stars, done "We Are The World" style, was great. I loved seeing the guys from What's Happening, and the Brady Bunch, and all the other shows I watched as a kid.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad no one caught me watching this!, Feb. 19 2004
D. Collier "Shelf-Help" (Brownwood, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie was embarrassingly bad. I hesitate to call it stupid because I've seen plenty of stupid movies that were far superior to this flick on every single level. By the time I was halfway through it, I realized I was not going to like this film. But I thought I'd finish watching it just in case it could a couple of good laughs out of me. Unfortunately, that just wasn't in the stars. I don't think I cracked a smile even once.
Throughout the movie David Spade speaks his lines as if he's reading from a cue card. The acting from the kids (especially the little girl) is completely bland. Part of the reason why was probably due to the fact that the lines were as cliche and contrived as any recently used in a comedy. These writers have borrowed the cheesiest kinds of lines from films like UNCLE BUCK and HARRY AND THE HENDERSONS. When Mom is about to kick Dickie out of the house, the kids chime in,
"Please, mom can't we give Dickie just one more chance?"
"Yeah, mom he's not so bad once you get to know him."
This is not David Spade at his best. This is not the kind of stuff that typical post-SNL entertainment is made of. Unless your standards of comedy exceed that of Adam Sandler (unfortunately, that's the pathetic mental level of most American moviegoers), it's highly unlikely you'll get any enjoyment out of this movie. In fact, I'll bet there are even some Sandler fans out there who hated it.

2.0 out of 5 stars david spade--former funny guy, Feb. 19 2004
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
Lotsa laffs for the first twenty minutes or so (Jon Lovitz as Dickie's slimy agent is especially funny) but it's all downhill as soon as Dickie moves to the burbs to learn corny life lessons in preparation for a big audition. Not only is this part of the movie sappy but it fails to make any sense. We're told Dickie never had a childhood but the guy's biggest problem is clearly that he never grew up. Nor is there any explanation as to how learning to do Kid 101 basics like riding a bicycle or mastering a Slip 'n' Slide (where was Dickie a child star--on Mars?!) is going to help him nail a dramatic movie part. The whole shebang winds up with a weird sing-a-long featuring several dozen genuine former child stars--but, again, what are non-child-star has-beens Charlene Tilton, Jeff Conaway and Eddie Mekka doing here???
For the former child-star real-deal, check out Judy Tenuda's "Desperation Boulevard", a far funnier (and darker) comedy in which she plays a female "Ricki Roberts."

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, Feb. 18 2004
Mako (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
I really wanted to like this movie, but it really just isn't that funny. I am a huge David Spade fan and loved Joe Dirt but I felt like this movie could have been much better. The idea is really good but it is poorly executed and you feel like the actors are trying too hard for a laugh. It does have maybe 4 or 5 parts that you will probably laugh at, but for the most part you will be trying to figure out who all the grown up, former child stars in the movie are. I recommend watching it before you buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Devil Rabbit!!, Feb. 17 2004
Michelle Finch (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual) (DVD)
Many SNL alumni have made awful movies that unsucessfully try to inject sentimentality into a silly comedy, which results in a dull, uneven mess. I'm a fan of David Spade, but his post-Chris Farley movies haven't been up to snuff. However, "Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star" is NOT another "Joe Dirt" and it's second only to "Tommy Boy."
An eccentric former child star from the '70s (David Spade) desperately wants a comeback, but is resigned to parking cars at a restaurant. After hearing about a new Rob Reiner movie that's expected to be huge, he begs his ineffective but well meaning agent (Jon Lovitz) to get him an audition. When he finally talks with Reiner, Dickie finds out that his troubled past will prevent him from playing a normal character. To remedy the situation, Dickie decides to relive his childhood to live the life he should've had. He moves in with the Finneys, a family that seems sitcom-perfect but have a less-than-rosy life. Dickie only adds to their problems at first, but in the end the family learns from Dickie as much as he learns from them, and he discovers what he really wants out of life. The movie's premise is a little weird but it holds water; using past experiences to map your approach to a character and the character's emotional levels are vital to making an acting performance work well. It's not surprising that Rob Reiner thought that Dickie wouldn't be able to do it correctly.
For the most part, I can't complain about the acting. Dickie has Spade's trademark sarcasm mixed in with believable naivete, peculiarity, and sincerity. The father (Craig Bierko) is convincingly smarmy, and Mary McCormack is perfectly cast as the sweet, gentle mom. As for the kids, adorable Jenna Boyd plays Sally Finney perfectly, and is a young actress with a lot of potential. On the other hand, Sam Finney (Scott Terra) is a very flat character. Dickie describes Sam as a "cool, funny guy," but we never get to see anything that resembles a distinct personality in Sam. It doesn't help that Terra talks too fast and mumbles his lines. Rounding out the cast are lots of funny cameos from celebrities and real former child stars, who are included in a hilarious music video at the end of the movie.

ARRAY(0x9fc2fb4c)

Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (Bilingual)
CDN$ 15.93