5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless...
My 60yrs old mother watched when she was young, and she loved it. I watched when I was 17, of course I loved it. And I bought this DVD this year, when I am 35yrs old, and I still love it. You should buy it. You should have it!!
Published on Jan. 21 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly overrated
This is a tribute to the sappiness of the early 1960s, a juvenile melodrama, wholly predictable, sung in French. The three or so Michel Legrand songs are beautiful, and they are hammered at you over and over until you no longer care.
The actors should get much credit (the parts are extremely high), and the photography is good. Buy the CD and skip the soap opera.
Published on Aug. 18 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars not so great -- fluffy, slightly sad, grating music, June 14 1999
This review is from: Umbrellas of Cherbourg (VHS Tape)
the movie was ok, but not as great as i have heard -- best parts: the fauvist set design, the sweet characterization of the two protagonists, the performances of the two leads -- worst parts: legrand's melodies, the shallow depiction of the mother, flaws in the plot (why did he not write?)-- i'll confess: i fell asleep twice during the movie

4.0 out of 5 stars A different but amazing film, April 24 1999
This review is from: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (DVD)
Catherine Denueve in her film debut is just about the most beautiful woman who has ever appeared on the silver screen. This film, which I stumbled across at a showing in my high school in Scottsdale, Arizona, the month I graduated, held a lot of nostalgia for me. I wondered would it hold up years later. It does and seems to have affected a great many people as deeply as it did me. The surreal colors are funky and rather in tune with the 60s. Some of the tunes are a bit hard to take, while others are nearly classics. But if you sort of come to it openly I can't help but think it will charm you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely enchanting and haunting film! Don't miss!, April 15 1999
This review is from: Umbrellas of Cherbourg (VHS Tape)
I loved this film. I'd seen it years ago and loved it, but I fell in love all over again,especially in the superb dvd version! Incredible!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Chick Flick That Even Made This Guy a Little Misty!, March 14 1999
This review is from: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (DVD)
I first saw this film with my high school girlfriend when I was about 16, and thought I'd take another look. WOW! What a beautiful film to look at, listen to, and argue about. Do we only have one love of our life? What role does fate play? What might have happened if Guy had been a more frequent letter writer? And what was director Demy really trying to say to us?
The ending is both powerful and teary and very, very French, i.e. thoughtful and a little ambiguous. I cannot get the song "I Will Wait For You" out of my head (why would anyone want to?!) This film will stay with me for at least another 25 years. I'm going to watch it again tonight with my wife and teenage daughter (a great way to practice her French!). A real beauty!

1.0 out of 5 stars Strange film, Jan. 16 1999
This review is from: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (DVD)
For several years, my husband had been telling me how wonderful this was, so, I bought it for him for Xmas, and settled back to enjoy. My husband loved it, finding it very moving. I found it peculier, not relating to any of the characters, and thinking that the music was dreadful - it seemed to be the same tune most of the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars So romantic it will break your heart, Jan. 5 1999
This review is from: Umbrellas of Cherbourg (VHS Tape)
The first time I saw this movie, I was in a high school French class. The print was scratchy and the colors were dull, but the story and music made a lasting impression on me. I was thrilled when I heard that the movie was being restored, and seeing the movie through thirty-something eyes I understand better how rich this movie is in plot, characterization, and pure movie-making technique. It's wonderful - I dare you to watch the scene of them parting at the railroad station and not be moved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous-, Nov. 12 1998
This review is from: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (DVD)
- just about sums it up: on the eyes, ears, and heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning...a treat for the senses., May 24 1998
This review is from: Umbrellas of Cherbourg (VHS Tape)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg may very well be the best movie ever made. Its a treat for the eyes (the colors are STUNNING. The cinematography is beyond amazing), and the ears (the music-the movie is all sung-is fantastic), and the cast lights up the screen. The new letterboxed DVD has a great letterboxed transfer, and brand new subtitles (although they can be turned off.) Its worth every penny! END

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg by Jacques Demy (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 109.08