4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely
While not as enchanting (to me at least) as some of her earlier work, it is still a fabulous piece of art.
Published on April 2 2004 by Pat Stephens

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try, maybe�.
Published on July 20 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, April 2 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Emotional Music, Feb. 21 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
One of my favorite CDs out right now, along with mr.deviant's "Techno Obsession", is "Afterglow". This is Sarah's first CD since 1997, and as a fan I've been waiting for more great music from her for quite sometime, "Afterglow" doesn't dissapoint! Moving, almost haunting, is best how to describe the tone of this CD. Sarah sings of painful love and true love with such emotion that it borders on being like a spritual experience just listening to her. Excellent lyrics, real vocal talent and haunting passionate music...what else could you ask for?!
A must buy here at Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words can't describe..., June 16 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
Afterglow is almost too beautiful. Words simply cannot describe how amazingly gorgeous this cd is. I can only try.
5/5 Fallen: Heart-wrenching. You have to fight to keep your breath at a normal rate. "In the lonely light of morning, in the wound that would not heal, it's the bitter taste of losing everything I held so dear.
5/5 World on Fire: There is nothing to describe this song. It is like no other. It moves you and stops you at the same time. The lyrics are so, so wise. "Visions clash, planes crash, but still there's talk of saving souls...the more we take, the less we become. The fortune of one man means less for some."
5/5 Stupid: Wow. This one just sticks. The imagery is awesome. "Steady me now, before I am weak and starving for mercy...how stupid could I be?"
5/5 Drifting: This is as close to flying as it gets. The music, Sarah's voice, and the lyrics are unearthly. "You have been drifting for so long, I know you don't want to come down."
5/5 Train Wreck: In a way you have to hear this before you can appreciate the brilliance of it. It energizes like no other song I've ever heard before. "Would you eyes like midnight fireflies light up the trenches where my heart lies?"
5/5 Push: Take a deep breath. How can a song make you feel so loved and relaxed and beautiful? It's like there's nothing wrong on earth. "You're the one true thing I know I can believe in."
5/5 Answer: This song never fails to leave me in tears. We just don't make words to describe Answer. Listening to it now, I can barely breathe. This song alone could restore world peace. "If it takes my whole life, I won't break, I won't bend, it'll all be worth it, worth it in the end. 'Cause I can only tell you what I know, that I need you in my life. When the stars have all burned out you'll still be burning so bright."
5/5 Time: Time somehow embodies the whole world. You can feel a connection to everything through it. "You send your thieves to me, silently stalking me, dragging me into your wars."
5/5 Perfect Girl: This is other-worldly. You are almost thrown into a different universe hearing it. The whole song is amazing, but the chorus almost knocks you dead. "Don't worry, you'll find the answer if you let it go, give yourself some time to falter, but don't forgo, knowing that you're loved no matter what, and everything will come around in time."
5/5 Dirty Little Secret: It's a struggle not to just crumple to the ground when you hear this. Oh, this is too amazing. Sarah's voice is just purely absolutely gorgeous. "I'm so tired of this town, where every tongue is wagging, when every back is turned, telling secrets that should never be revealed."
And I was actually beginning to think there were no heroes on earth anymore. Thank goodness Sarah's back-I don't think the world could go on without her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try, maybe�., July 20 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
Sarah's new album is somewhat bland. Her voice is beautiful and musicianship near perfect. So what's missing? I've played Afterglow many times for myself at home and also for Mclachlan fans/non-fans. I've compared Afterglow to Sarah's previous releases (over and over) by myself and with guests. So, what's the consensus? Well, Afterglow isn't atmospheric or insightful. The music feels like mainstream "radio friendly" pop and the lyrics are very boring. I think she plagiarized my 14-year-old daughter's diary at times!!! Here's a passage - you decide (everything NOT in brackets below were quoted directly from the CD):
[Dear Diary]:
I've messed up. Love has made me a fool, [diary]. [My boyfriend Justin dumped me]. From [his] mouth it's all that I wish, the mercy of [his] lips. [Justin,] just one [more] kiss. No matter what I say or do, I'm a train wreck waiting to happen. I can't stand to feel myself losing control [because he left.] Nothing else can cure me - [his] love is the antidote. I can only tell you what I know, [Justin]- that I need you in my life. I don't remember [why] we're fighting. [Let's get back together]. Don't tell me it's too late.
[Samantha]

Final Thought: Afterglow isn't her best work, but it's a lot better than 98% of the music on MTV/VH1 and radio. I recommend buying this album if you're a fan / semi-fan / just like her voice / curious. Letter grade: C- ( for teenage lyrics - at times - and radio friendly rhythm/chord progression).

4.0 out of 5 stars Still 4 stars, but a bit of a disappointment, July 16 2004
Jillian Brown "plutojill55" (Rowland Heights, CA (not quite far enough away from L.A ;P )) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
I've been into Sarah McLachlan's music since 1998, when "Fumbling Through Ecstacy" provided an anchor during some difficult times in high school. I have all her other albums and have listened to them more times than I can count, so I was excited when she FINALLY came out with a new CD last year. I sat down and listened to it, again and again... and was just disappointed. Not at all with her singing; Sarah's voice remains perfectly, sensuously beautiful. Nor so much with the lyrics, which, while I had a harder time identifying with them than with many of her other songs, were still deep and well-written. I think it was the music itself. One of the things I love about Sarah McLachlan's other albums is that they have this innovative quality about them. She uses unusual rhythms and instruments, but makes them flow, makes them WORK. Here the rhythms are conventional (the opening piano and guitar in "Fallen" comes to mind here). It's as if she's afraid to take a risk, something countless people in the entertainment industry also seem to have a fear of nowadays, especially in music and television.
Yet Sarah has not completely sold out here (ahem, Jewel and No Doubt). Her lyrics and her voice are gems in a sea of cliched songs and phony singers. So compared to other CDs, I give "Afterglow" 4.5 stars, but compared to Sarah's earlier work, I'd give it 3, for an average of about 4 stars. :P

2.0 out of 5 stars Burnt out?, July 12 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
Ho-hum. Not as interesting as Solace and not as lushly orchestrated as Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, Afterglow is just... well, boring. Better title: "somnabulent."

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 8 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
Sarah McLachlan's new work "afterglow," seems to be her best work yet. This album is much calmer and more piano focused than the others, which offers a new sense of calm. I am a huge fan of this artist, and also had the pleasure to see her concert a few nights ago in Portland. If you are a Sarah fan, it is worth the ticket price to see... she was absolutely amazing. She offered two encores and made the atmosphere very personal. She cares about people and that definetly comes across. She is absolutly worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Sarah Album, July 5 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
The first time I heard this CD, it didn't blow me away like her other albums have. I kept listening to it over and over, and having allowed the album to sink in, it is now one of my favorite CDs. Sarah is one of my favorite singers, and she never disappoints. The CD only has 10 songs, but with Sarah, it's quality, not quantity, that matters.
1)Fallen- the first single. A great way to kick off this album.
2)World on Fire- the lyrics are really good. They really make you think.
3)Stupid- probably my favorite song on the album. It is impossible to not feel this song. The emotion Sarah conveys is too strong for that.
4)Drifting- a really good song. The lyrics really hit home to me.
5)Train Wreck- another terrific song. Who hasn't felt this way before?
6)Push- one of my favorite songs on the album. It is just so good and real.
7)Answer- another really good song. Sarah really sounds good here.
8)Time- a terrific song. The lyrics are very strong and thought-provoking.
9)Perfect Girl- one of my favorites. This song is a perfect fit for Sarah's great voice.
10)Dirty Little Secret- a great way to end the album. She leaves you wanting more, which is always a good thing.
This album is very good. Since it will undoubtedly be a while before Sarah's next album, it's a good thing she has given us an album as good as this to pacify her many fans. I think she should put out a greatest hits album. If anyone deserves it, it's her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE gem!, July 4 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
A wonderful CD!!!! It's soothing and makes you feel centered and peaceful, yet its a strange kind of peace.. i really enjoy it. perfect girl, drifting, fallen, train wreck, answer and time are my favorites... i really love the whole CD except for 'stupid' just b/c i cant relate to it... but i really love, love, love, love this CD!!! its great for all ages and all personalities. Sarah's voice is soo beautiful. She's much better than'Dido' and alanis morrisette even though they're both good shes WAAAAYYY better!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars gag time!, July 2 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
I cannot stand Sarah! Shes always got her head back and eyes closed like shes trying to be sensual and so in tune to the music;yeah right.Get "I love me" by the late Tiny Tim,its the bomb!

ARRAY(0xc39871a4)

Afterglow
Afterglow by Sarah Mclachlan (Audio CD - 2004)