5.0 out of 5 stars Words can't describe...
Afterglow is almost too beautiful. Words simply cannot describe how amazingly gorgeous this cd is. I can only try.
5/5 Fallen: Heart-wrenching. You have to fight to keep your breath at a normal rate. "In the lonely light of morning, in the wound that would not heal, it's the bitter taste of losing everything I held so dear.
5/5 World on Fire: There is nothing to...
Published on June 16 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try, maybe�.
Published on July 20 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Words can't describe..., June 16 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
5/5 World on Fire: There is nothing to describe this song. It is like no other. It moves you and stops you at the same time. The lyrics are so, so wise. "Visions clash, planes crash, but still there's talk of saving souls...the more we take, the less we become. The fortune of one man means less for some."
5/5 Stupid: Wow. This one just sticks. The imagery is awesome. "Steady me now, before I am weak and starving for mercy...how stupid could I be?"
5/5 Drifting: This is as close to flying as it gets. The music, Sarah's voice, and the lyrics are unearthly. "You have been drifting for so long, I know you don't want to come down."
5/5 Train Wreck: In a way you have to hear this before you can appreciate the brilliance of it. It energizes like no other song I've ever heard before. "Would you eyes like midnight fireflies light up the trenches where my heart lies?"
5/5 Push: Take a deep breath. How can a song make you feel so loved and relaxed and beautiful? It's like there's nothing wrong on earth. "You're the one true thing I know I can believe in."
5/5 Answer: This song never fails to leave me in tears. We just don't make words to describe Answer. Listening to it now, I can barely breathe. This song alone could restore world peace. "If it takes my whole life, I won't break, I won't bend, it'll all be worth it, worth it in the end. 'Cause I can only tell you what I know, that I need you in my life. When the stars have all burned out you'll still be burning so bright."
5/5 Time: Time somehow embodies the whole world. You can feel a connection to everything through it. "You send your thieves to me, silently stalking me, dragging me into your wars."
5/5 Perfect Girl: This is other-worldly. You are almost thrown into a different universe hearing it. The whole song is amazing, but the chorus almost knocks you dead. "Don't worry, you'll find the answer if you let it go, give yourself some time to falter, but don't forgo, knowing that you're loved no matter what, and everything will come around in time."
5/5 Dirty Little Secret: It's a struggle not to just crumple to the ground when you hear this. Oh, this is too amazing. Sarah's voice is just purely absolutely gorgeous. "I'm so tired of this town, where every tongue is wagging, when every back is turned, telling secrets that should never be revealed."
And I was actually beginning to think there were no heroes on earth anymore. Thank goodness Sarah's back-I don't think the world could go on without her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try, maybe�., July 20 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
Sarah's new album is somewhat bland. Her voice is beautiful and musicianship near perfect. So what's missing? I've played Afterglow many times for myself at home and also for Mclachlan fans/non-fans. I've compared Afterglow to Sarah's previous releases (over and over) by myself and with guests. So, what's the consensus? Well, Afterglow isn't atmospheric or insightful. The music feels like mainstream "radio friendly" pop and the lyrics are very boring. I think she plagiarized my 14-year-old daughter's diary at times!!! Here's a passage - you decide (everything NOT in brackets below were quoted directly from the CD):
[Dear Diary]:
I've messed up. Love has made me a fool, [diary]. [My boyfriend Justin dumped me]. From [his] mouth it's all that I wish, the mercy of [his] lips. [Justin,] just one [more] kiss. No matter what I say or do, I'm a train wreck waiting to happen. I can't stand to feel myself losing control [because he left.] Nothing else can cure me - [his] love is the antidote. I can only tell you what I know, [Justin]- that I need you in my life. I don't remember [why] we're fighting. [Let's get back together]. Don't tell me it's too late.
[Samantha]

Final Thought: Afterglow isn't her best work, but it's a lot better than 98% of the music on MTV/VH1 and radio. I recommend buying this album if you're a fan / semi-fan / just like her voice / curious. Letter grade: C- ( for teenage lyrics - at times - and radio friendly rhythm/chord progression).

4.0 out of 5 stars Still 4 stars, but a bit of a disappointment, July 16 2004
Jillian Brown "plutojill55" (Rowland Heights, CA (not quite far enough away from L.A ;P )) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
I've been into Sarah McLachlan's music since 1998, when "Fumbling Through Ecstacy" provided an anchor during some difficult times in high school. I have all her other albums and have listened to them more times than I can count, so I was excited when she FINALLY came out with a new CD last year. I sat down and listened to it, again and again... and was just disappointed. Not at all with her singing; Sarah's voice remains perfectly, sensuously beautiful. Nor so much with the lyrics, which, while I had a harder time identifying with them than with many of her other songs, were still deep and well-written. I think it was the music itself. One of the things I love about Sarah McLachlan's other albums is that they have this innovative quality about them. She uses unusual rhythms and instruments, but makes them flow, makes them WORK. Here the rhythms are conventional (the opening piano and guitar in "Fallen" comes to mind here). It's as if she's afraid to take a risk, something countless people in the entertainment industry also seem to have a fear of nowadays, especially in music and television.
Yet Sarah has not completely sold out here (ahem, Jewel and No Doubt). Her lyrics and her voice are gems in a sea of cliched songs and phony singers. So compared to other CDs, I give "Afterglow" 4.5 stars, but compared to Sarah's earlier work, I'd give it 3, for an average of about 4 stars. :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Sarah Album, July 5 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
The first time I heard this CD, it didn't blow me away like her other albums have. I kept listening to it over and over, and having allowed the album to sink in, it is now one of my favorite CDs. Sarah is one of my favorite singers, and she never disappoints. The CD only has 10 songs, but with Sarah, it's quality, not quantity, that matters.
1)Fallen- the first single. A great way to kick off this album.
2)World on Fire- the lyrics are really good. They really make you think.
3)Stupid- probably my favorite song on the album. It is impossible to not feel this song. The emotion Sarah conveys is too strong for that.
4)Drifting- a really good song. The lyrics really hit home to me.
5)Train Wreck- another terrific song. Who hasn't felt this way before?
6)Push- one of my favorite songs on the album. It is just so good and real.
7)Answer- another really good song. Sarah really sounds good here.
8)Time- a terrific song. The lyrics are very strong and thought-provoking.
9)Perfect Girl- one of my favorites. This song is a perfect fit for Sarah's great voice.
10)Dirty Little Secret- a great way to end the album. She leaves you wanting more, which is always a good thing.
This album is very good. Since it will undoubtedly be a while before Sarah's next album, it's a good thing she has given us an album as good as this to pacify her many fans. I think she should put out a greatest hits album. If anyone deserves it, it's her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah is still the goddess of music that transports you., July 1 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
The first time I listened to this cd, it didn't fully hit me, the depth of the lyrics and how much the songs collected here would come to speak to me personally. I've been a fan of McLachlan's for eons from her first cds years ago. My personal favorite has been Surfacing, which is nothing short of miraculous and will always remind me of the long distance courtship I had with my now husband. So I didn't think anything could ever come close to the emotion I associated with her last cd. I was wrong. Second listen, third listen, twentieth, it just gets more powerful each time.

This was definitely worth the wait. It speaks to me on so many levels, her lyrics paint pictures that I bet many women will be able to relate to. From losing love and not knowing exactly why or how to get it back in "Fallen" to the warning of impending instability in "Train Wreck" to realizing that you can't save someone from themselves in "Perfect Girl." Each song on this disc is a masterpiece.

Desperation to escape a relationship going bad in "Time" she sings "If I agree, well it's just to appease you, cause I don't remember what we're fighting for."

Even found two new 'our' songs just in time for our fifth wedding anniversary, Push, and Answer. Perfectly brilliant, and Sarah has never sounded better. 10 stars, if they were possible to give for this one, I would. Exquisite, and haunting. It will stay with you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, June 9 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
I am stunned to see such a high average review rating for this latest effort by one of my favorite artists. I have all of her albums (except for the b-sides compilation) and Afterglow gets the lowest marks of all. In my opinion, if you want to hear Sarah at her creative best, my advice is to buy Fumbling Towards Ecstasy which is just about as flawless an album as I've ever bought. Surfacing was also a far better CD than Afterglow. What has always endeared me to Sarah Mclachlan, aside from her chillingly emotive and passionate voice, is her brilliantly written lyrics and the overall construction and exquisite grandeur of her songs, which were intuitively infused with a sense of deep personal experience and; therefore, paradoxically, universal experience. In Afterglow, aside from her beautiful voice, the rest of the aforementioned recipe is missing. In my opinion, Afterglow cannot even stand in the shadows of Fumbling or Surfacing. Except for the song Fallen this cd is banal and very uninteresting and to be honest I'm extremely disappointed because there is so much mediocre music spewing over the airwaves these days that I look to the likes of Sarah Mclachlan, Tori Amos, Sinead O'connor, Peter Gabriel, etc to keep on producing the great music I've grown accustomed to expecting from them. I will forgive this very mediocre effort in the hopes that her next CD marks a return to what made her exquisitely fabulous!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Boring..., June 9 2004
"tabbster" (Lavalette, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
I bought this cd the first day it come out expecting it to be wonderful like the rest of her music. I had heard "Fallen" on the radio several times and loved it. So I get it home and listen to the cd from start to finish and found it to be...well...pretty boring. After listening to the whole thing, the only song that stuck out to me was "Fallen". Don't get me wrong, the rest of the songs were okay. But that was the problem, they were all just "okay". Nothing special about any of the rest of them. After "Fallen" it felt like one continuous song up until the end. The only reason I gave the cd 3 stars was because I love her voice. Her voice is as beautiful as ever, it's just that the songs didn't have the same feeling to me that her previous albums have. The cd did have one good use to me though. It will put you to sleep pretty quickly and peacefully. In comparison with her other albums, "Afterglow" just falls below par. If you want a true, meaningful ablum from Sarah McLachlan, buy "Surfacing". That cd is great from start to finish, and every song will stay with you, even the instrumental song at the end of the cd.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Afterglow" a calm and quiet disappointment, June 3 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
I became a Sarah McLachlan fan w/ the debut of "Surfacing" in 1997, so much so that I bought "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" and "Solace" right away. After the runaway success of her last singles, such as "Building a Mystery" and "Adia," I was eager for more Sarah, and I have to say, for the amount of time it took for a new album, I was very disappointed. After getting an idea of the tracks in the car w/ one friend, I borrowed the CD from another, and here I just don't see much of the spark or melody so apparent in the last three original albums. "Fallen" is a pleasant song but I agree w/ other reviewers that it could easily have been stuck on "Surfacing" as a nice B-side. The two best tracks on the CD are "Stupid" and "Time" (if you haven't seen it already, check out the video for "Stupid"--it's really good). With lyrics like "'cause I'm a train wreck waiting to happen," it's not hard to understand why the rest of the album is, to some extent, a train wreck itself, albeit a serene one.

3.0 out of 5 stars I TOLD YOU SO...., May 16 2004
S. Quinto (Guatemala, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
Afterglow, is the return of Sarah McLachlan to music after more than 4 years of vacation. One thing is unmistakeble, McLachlan's has an angel voice, it's just atmospheric. But with "Afterglow" it seems she's still trapped in 1998, there is no innovation on this album, she could easily have fitted all the tracks in "Surfacing", that's why some people don't playe dit at radio, "Fallen" sounded like Sarah's all released hits. Only with different lyrics, it's obvious that McLachlan paid attention to the old said "stick to the formula", but somehow after two superb album's, the third is enough, I wanted to hear a new venue like Jewel's 0304, ok she got little to pop-new wave, but at least she tried, but this could be put on the cd, along with Sarah's previous two albums, and you wouldn't tell wich song is newer than the other, if your not a fan. So this album is in no way bad, is just the same stuff as always, I think that it's why this album hasn't make that much buzz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Afterglow�it Shimmers, Glitters, and Glows, May 3 2004
This review is from: Afterglow (Audio CD)
Fallen (5/5): Sarah Mclachlan's voice is absolutely heavenly in this. Fallen is really intense and heart-wrenching. "We all begin out with good intent, when love is raw and young."
World On Fire (5/5): The instrumentals are drop dead gorgeous; Sarah's voice being the same is a given. The lyrics are amazing. "Stay close to me while the sky's falling."
Stupid (5/5): This starts out slowly, and then the chorus hits. Seething rage and intense passion meet, in a stop-go sort of way. Stupid is purely brilliant. "Everything changes, everything falls apart. I can't stand to feel myself losing control."
Drifting (5/5): Drifting is not in the real world, it's more like seeing things from a different universe. A perfect combination of everything. "You walk in a room and the world stops to stare. You mesmerize all who are caught in the glare of the spotlight that follows wherever you go."
Train Wreck (5/5): A metaphor song that is so perfect it's like some one splashed water on you. Play this at any time to wake yourself up. "Would your love in all its finery tear at the darkness all around me?"
Push (5/5): Push is so soothing, luxurious, and gorgeous it's like floating in a velvet cloud. Truly music to the ears. "Every time I look at you the world just melts away."
Answer (5/5): If the world could hear this song I swear there would be no wars. If we could just sit down and listen to this song, no one would want to fight. This song installs a peace I have never known before. "When the stars have all gone out you'll still be burning so bright."
Time (5/5): Time is a beautiful wake-up piece. It has really wise lyrics and great instrumentals. Sarah's voice is, of course, almost inhuman, as always. "You see love a tight thorny thread that you spin in a circle of gold."
Perfect Girl (5/5): How to describe this amazing song? It is almost too perfect. It makes your bones go all weak it's so beautiful. The words are phenomenal. "Don't worry, you'll find the answer if you let it go. Give yourself some time to falter, don't forgo. Knowing that your loved no matter what, and everything will come around in time."
Dirty Little Secret (5/5): This is a really strong song. You can feel the raw emotion it's composed of. Minimal instruments (piano and keyboard) expose Sarah's voice in some of it's best form. "If I had the chance love, I would not hesitate to tell you all the things I never said before. Don't tell me it's too late."

Afterglow
Afterglow by Sarah Mclachlan (Audio CD - 2004)