Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cycling Tools minions

Afterglow
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$6.78+$3.49shipping

Showing 1-10 of 118 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on June 16, 2004
Afterglow is almost too beautiful. Words simply cannot describe how amazingly gorgeous this cd is. I can only try.
5/5 Fallen: Heart-wrenching. You have to fight to keep your breath at a normal rate. "In the lonely light of morning, in the wound that would not heal, it's the bitter taste of losing everything I held so dear.
5/5 World on Fire: There is nothing to describe this song. It is like no other. It moves you and stops you at the same time. The lyrics are so, so wise. "Visions clash, planes crash, but still there's talk of saving souls...the more we take, the less we become. The fortune of one man means less for some."
5/5 Stupid: Wow. This one just sticks. The imagery is awesome. "Steady me now, before I am weak and starving for mercy...how stupid could I be?"
5/5 Drifting: This is as close to flying as it gets. The music, Sarah's voice, and the lyrics are unearthly. "You have been drifting for so long, I know you don't want to come down."
5/5 Train Wreck: In a way you have to hear this before you can appreciate the brilliance of it. It energizes like no other song I've ever heard before. "Would you eyes like midnight fireflies light up the trenches where my heart lies?"
5/5 Push: Take a deep breath. How can a song make you feel so loved and relaxed and beautiful? It's like there's nothing wrong on earth. "You're the one true thing I know I can believe in."
5/5 Answer: This song never fails to leave me in tears. We just don't make words to describe Answer. Listening to it now, I can barely breathe. This song alone could restore world peace. "If it takes my whole life, I won't break, I won't bend, it'll all be worth it, worth it in the end. 'Cause I can only tell you what I know, that I need you in my life. When the stars have all burned out you'll still be burning so bright."
5/5 Time: Time somehow embodies the whole world. You can feel a connection to everything through it. "You send your thieves to me, silently stalking me, dragging me into your wars."
5/5 Perfect Girl: This is other-worldly. You are almost thrown into a different universe hearing it. The whole song is amazing, but the chorus almost knocks you dead. "Don't worry, you'll find the answer if you let it go, give yourself some time to falter, but don't forgo, knowing that you're loved no matter what, and everything will come around in time."
5/5 Dirty Little Secret: It's a struggle not to just crumple to the ground when you hear this. Oh, this is too amazing. Sarah's voice is just purely absolutely gorgeous. "I'm so tired of this town, where every tongue is wagging, when every back is turned, telling secrets that should never be revealed."
And I was actually beginning to think there were no heroes on earth anymore. Thank goodness Sarah's back-I don't think the world could go on without her.
on July 5, 2004
The first time I heard this CD, it didn't blow me away like her other albums have. I kept listening to it over and over, and having allowed the album to sink in, it is now one of my favorite CDs. Sarah is one of my favorite singers, and she never disappoints. The CD only has 10 songs, but with Sarah, it's quality, not quantity, that matters.
1)Fallen- the first single. A great way to kick off this album.
2)World on Fire- the lyrics are really good. They really make you think.
3)Stupid- probably my favorite song on the album. It is impossible to not feel this song. The emotion Sarah conveys is too strong for that.
4)Drifting- a really good song. The lyrics really hit home to me.
5)Train Wreck- another terrific song. Who hasn't felt this way before?
6)Push- one of my favorite songs on the album. It is just so good and real.
7)Answer- another really good song. Sarah really sounds good here.
8)Time- a terrific song. The lyrics are very strong and thought-provoking.
9)Perfect Girl- one of my favorites. This song is a perfect fit for Sarah's great voice.
10)Dirty Little Secret- a great way to end the album. She leaves you wanting more, which is always a good thing.
This album is very good. Since it will undoubtedly be a while before Sarah's next album, it's a good thing she has given us an album as good as this to pacify her many fans. I think she should put out a greatest hits album. If anyone deserves it, it's her.
on July 1, 2004
The first time I listened to this cd, it didn't fully hit me, the depth of the lyrics and how much the songs collected here would come to speak to me personally. I've been a fan of McLachlan's for eons from her first cds years ago. My personal favorite has been Surfacing, which is nothing short of miraculous and will always remind me of the long distance courtship I had with my now husband. So I didn't think anything could ever come close to the emotion I associated with her last cd. I was wrong. Second listen, third listen, twentieth, it just gets more powerful each time.

This was definitely worth the wait. It speaks to me on so many levels, her lyrics paint pictures that I bet many women will be able to relate to. From losing love and not knowing exactly why or how to get it back in "Fallen" to the warning of impending instability in "Train Wreck" to realizing that you can't save someone from themselves in "Perfect Girl." Each song on this disc is a masterpiece.

Desperation to escape a relationship going bad in "Time" she sings "If I agree, well it's just to appease you, cause I don't remember what we're fighting for."

Even found two new 'our' songs just in time for our fifth wedding anniversary, Push, and Answer. Perfectly brilliant, and Sarah has never sounded better. 10 stars, if they were possible to give for this one, I would. Exquisite, and haunting. It will stay with you.
on May 3, 2004
Fallen (5/5): Sarah Mclachlan's voice is absolutely heavenly in this. Fallen is really intense and heart-wrenching. "We all begin out with good intent, when love is raw and young."
World On Fire (5/5): The instrumentals are drop dead gorgeous; Sarah's voice being the same is a given. The lyrics are amazing. "Stay close to me while the sky's falling."
Stupid (5/5): This starts out slowly, and then the chorus hits. Seething rage and intense passion meet, in a stop-go sort of way. Stupid is purely brilliant. "Everything changes, everything falls apart. I can't stand to feel myself losing control."
Drifting (5/5): Drifting is not in the real world, it's more like seeing things from a different universe. A perfect combination of everything. "You walk in a room and the world stops to stare. You mesmerize all who are caught in the glare of the spotlight that follows wherever you go."
Train Wreck (5/5): A metaphor song that is so perfect it's like some one splashed water on you. Play this at any time to wake yourself up. "Would your love in all its finery tear at the darkness all around me?"
Push (5/5): Push is so soothing, luxurious, and gorgeous it's like floating in a velvet cloud. Truly music to the ears. "Every time I look at you the world just melts away."
Answer (5/5): If the world could hear this song I swear there would be no wars. If we could just sit down and listen to this song, no one would want to fight. This song installs a peace I have never known before. "When the stars have all gone out you'll still be burning so bright."
Time (5/5): Time is a beautiful wake-up piece. It has really wise lyrics and great instrumentals. Sarah's voice is, of course, almost inhuman, as always. "You see love a tight thorny thread that you spin in a circle of gold."
Perfect Girl (5/5): How to describe this amazing song? It is almost too perfect. It makes your bones go all weak it's so beautiful. The words are phenomenal. "Don't worry, you'll find the answer if you let it go. Give yourself some time to falter, don't forgo. Knowing that your loved no matter what, and everything will come around in time."
Dirty Little Secret (5/5): This is a really strong song. You can feel the raw emotion it's composed of. Minimal instruments (piano and keyboard) expose Sarah's voice in some of it's best form. "If I had the chance love, I would not hesitate to tell you all the things I never said before. Don't tell me it's too late."
on April 21, 2004
Sarah McLachlan always takes her time between albums, and this time it was no exception. AFTERGLOW, her newest album, comes 6 years after her critically acclaimed SURFACING album was released. In between there were two albums released, a remix compilation and a live album. AFTERGLOW was worth the wait. "Fallen" is an excellent first single, and overall song. This has the makings to become a Sarah McLachlan classic (which in my opinion it already has). The lyrics are honest, pure and deep, and straight to the point. "Stupid" is the new single, and yes it's another relatable track. However my favorite track is "Train Wreck". The lyrics, combined with the flow of the music in the song, makes it accessible and automatically a standout. Hopefully it will see a single release. "World On Fire" is a nice ballad with an interesting perspective about the world today. Other highlights include "Time", "Dirty Little Secret", "Drifting", and "Answer". Well worth the wait!
on April 19, 2004
Sarah Mclachlan is amazing, the best. Afterglow just proves that once again, as do all her other CDs. I would give my rating of every song, but it would be the same every time: 5/5. This CD is indulging, passionate, and, as I have said in previous reviews of her other CDs, it is a CD player's best friend.
Fallen: Perfect lyrics and instrumentals--everything goes. This song is the fulcrum which all the other songs spin around and a perfect starting piece. "I've fallen, I have sunk so low."
World on Fire: "Hearts are worn in these dark ages. You're not alone in this story's pages." This is a really great song. It's like something you can't quite put your finger on, in a good way.
Stupid: Really hardcore. Rage and craziness, surely you've felt this way before. "How stupid could I be? A simpleton could see that you're no good for me, but you're the only one I see."
Drifting: "...as you bask in the glow of the beautiful strangers that whisper your name. Do they fill up the emptiness?" This is a gorgeous and, of course, drifty, song. It's amazing.
Train Wreck: I could go on and on about this song, but one word sums it up: phenomenal. Totally and completely phenomenal. "Would your eyes like midnight fireflies light up the trenches where my heart lies?"
Push: This is sweet and loving. It's really luxurious, like floating in a velvet mist. "You're all the things that I desire to save me, you complete me."
Answer: Soft and whispered, but blindingly beautiful. Oh my gosh. Words cannot nearly describe the ecstasy you go into every time you hear this. "In the burning of uncertainty, I will be you're solid ground...if it takes my whole life, I won't break, I won't bend. It will all be worth it, worth it in the end."
Time: "Time here all but means nothing just shadows that move 'cross the wall. They keep me company, but they don't ask of me, they don't say nothing at all." This is a remarkable song to hear. Amazing lyrics, amazing everything.
Perfect Girl: Heart-rendering, gorgeous, haunting. This will stick with you all your life. Especially the chorus. "Don't worry, you'll find the answer if you let it go. Give yourself some time to falter, but don't forgo, knowing that you're loved no matter what, and everything will come around in time."
Dirty Little Secret: Another one that stays. This is what I'd call a "wow song." You kind of step back a second like someone slapped you. That's how beautiful it is. You ask yourself, "Am I really hearing this?" Sarah shows so much wisdom. A perfect closing piece. "I am willing to give up this fight."
Thank goodness Sarah Mclachlan is back! I don't know what the world would do without her.
on April 15, 2004
Sarah McLachlan's new Cd "AfterGlow" is truly a wonderully uplifting, inspiring cd. The lyrics are phenomenal, and the ethereal sounds actually brought a little bit of tears to my eyes. It is a beautiful album.
I have never been a fan of Sarah. I thought that she had talent in the past, and I could actually stand to listen to "Building a Mystery" but, her music never struck me. Mirrorball held one song that I felt was decent to listen to, but I never really cared for Sarah's music. That was until I heard Afterglow. I bought the cd primarily for "Fallen." The lyrics, the sounds, the voice, all of these elements drew me in. I loved the song and spontaniously bought the album (thank God). When I got home to listen to it, I liked only one other song on it; "Stupid." I remember thinking that the album sucked and I had wasted my money on one song. But then, I started to listen to it two more times. By the third time, almost every song touched me, and with each listen I began to hear the ethereal sounds that Sarah and the music played to the ear. The album is just beautiful. I have alot of other cds (200) and enjoy most of them much, yet Afterglow is a completely different cd that offsets it from the rest of my collection. Even my favorite singer Cher was somewhat put on the backburner for Sarah's Afterglow. I think that in itself is amazing considering I am a huge Cher fan and not Sarahs'. This cd was not and should not be boughten just because you are or are not a fan. This cd is brilliant and spiritual, even for a non-fan such as myself.
Michael
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Okay, the music is great, wonderful, beautiful, but why does the CD have to install spyware on my PC? Ridiculous! Is it not enough that I have to run adaware every single day just from using the internet? NO. I have to do it after using Sarah McLachlans CD bonus features. So if anyone is going to use the bonus features, I suggest that you don't, or that you uninstall it afterwords, then run spybot. And while we are on the subject, the bonus features really suck. You only get a half hour long random behind the scenes film on the set of the Fallen shoot, which is, if I may say so, retarded. And then you get to see the Fallen video, like we all haven't already seen it on vh1 or her website. And that's it. Oh and you get to register on the little forum while the software installs sh** on your computer.
Okay, now that I've had my rant, let me get down to the music. I loved it personally, for the most part. World on Fire is one of my favorite songs, and it is my most highly recommended track. And BTW, I don't think that it has to do with 9/11, and if it does, then I no longer like it. (Artists should stick to art, not social or political issues), but I've never known Sarah to be like that. Trainwreck is another good one, and Time is the other. The rest of the songs are a little blah, I must admit, but if you're in a really moody, depressed, or any such EMO state of mind, then they are great. The lamest song on the album, to me, is Push.
If you are looking to buy this, then I recommend that you do. If you want it at all, that means you must be a Sarah fan, and if you are a Sarah fan, then you will most definately like this album. And if you don't, then at least it is something new to listen to from your fav artist.
PS.-DO NOT INSTALL THE BONUS FEATURES
on March 27, 2004
Forest Law, you are a freak. Afterglow is not ordinary; Sarah Mclachlan is acclaimed for a reason! If you want ordinary, look at Jewel's latest, 0304, or Avril Lavinge. If this CD reminds you of grits, go throw up in the toilet and listen to what you like to listen to. Maybe those little combo platters will calm your fragile stomach. You don't deserve to even touch Afterglow.
Sarah Mclachlan's voice IS impressive. More than impressive. The instrumentals and arrangments are phenomenal. As in beyond perfection. And the lyrics are more than just "semi-strong," as you so delicately put it, they are highly metaphorical and amazing. Were you listening? As to Fallen being corny, I really didn't even intend to dignify with comment. It's more like one of those songs where if anyone passed you'd turn up the volume for the world to hear. You know, at least find a dictionary so you can justify using the word, but "corny." "Corny" is to Fallen as ugly is to the sky on a perfect summer day. And if you don't like the sky on a perfect summer day, it's no wonder you think Afterglow is bad.
Not only is Sarah Mclachlan "bold and innovative," she's brilliant, gorgeous, and wonderful.
Sarah Mclachlan is the complete opposite of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey. Her name really doesn't belong on the same PAGE as those two. Please, Amazon customers, I beg of you, give Afterglow a chance! Please, please, keep an open mind. If you do you will be rewarded with a CD that really is "truly unique and ground-breaking," not to mention awakening and miraculous from beginning to end.
on March 23, 2004
I bought this cd just a week ago and i wasnt disappointed infact i loved it, i recommend that you listen to this every morning if your preparing for skul or work this cd is great for the morning, it therapeutic in a way that it relaxes you and softens you which may give you a good spirit to start the day
Before i really thought Sarah's music was really boring and now im so ashamed i ate my words sorry Sarah hehehe.....but i listen to music like Dido's and Norah's and they are pretty relaxing too and just like Sarah's their music is really overwhelming when i saw "fallen" the video i was blown away it touched my heart i decided to do a quick run to the record bar and grabbed an afterglow cd
"Fallen" i love this song its really relaxing i love the lyrical content its like food for the soul
"Answer" very uplifting and really touching its really calming with the soft voice and the subtle tune towards the chorus its a goodie
"Time" i like this one obviously its about tacking things timely
"Perfect Girl" i love this song its very dramatic about letting go
"Dirty Little Secret" oh my god this is my favorite i ended up teary when i heard this one the message is haunting it says no matter how we hide secrets no matter how awful they are people might not see but he sees.
buy this one it will never bring you down! promise!