Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Patience
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$3.72+$3.49shipping

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on June 1, 2004
Nah,I dont think its as good as the 3 previous ones.FAITH , LWP and OLDER.I am a big big fan of GM.I Think the biggest Pakistani fan :).I've got all his cds,DVDs,Vcds and even WHAM! concert live in china on VHS.But This album,there are 2 songs that should'nt have been there on the cd 1- Round here and 2-Please send me someone to love.instead of them there should've been 2 dance tracks.
And what happened to the track 'SNAKE BITE' which GM was about to release as a single after the release of 'FREEEK' back in 2002. WHY GM uses so less music in his songs now a days.I can hardly hear any music in the background on his ballads.GM ur voice is wonderful gr8 but please give us some music too.I would like to hear you sing with a loud electric guitar.THE songs on 'OLDER' were gr8 .very JAZZY I love it.but therz something missing on this album I think u r still very depressed.Please release a new album and make that album with a HAPPY mood.
I think the songs of 'Patience' will sound gr8 on a LIVE performance.Please start touring and sing ur new songs.U're great when comes to LIVE performance specially ballads and add a guitarist in ur band.Can u give ur new songs a Jazzy touch? :) and on this album GM ur not using the power of ur voice fully like u did on 'PRAYING FOR TIME' and 'FREEDOM'90' .I would love to hear you loud :).
MY FAV. tracks on the album are:
1-My mother had a brother
2-AMAZING
3-American Angel
and..... 4-Through
and..... 5-Cars and Trains.
on May 24, 2004
George Michael is regarded by many to be pop novelty. He has written and produced some of the most memorable pop songs in the last 20 years. Just think-Careless Whisper, Last Christmas, Wake Me Up Before You Go Go etc. So in 2004 George Michael returned with his first studio album in 8 years. Where other popular acts release an album every second year or so, George Michael differs from the norm. So is ''Patience'' worth the wait? Well yes and no.
The tumult of the past 14 years hasn't been an easy ride for the pop singer, who had to deal with being arrested in a public restroom/toliet, fighting with his then-former label Sony and deeply personal problems etc. It's clearly that Patience is the album, George Michael has been longing to write and produce. It's perhaps his most honest and personal album so far, which is very evidently in the lyrics for songs like Patience, My Mother Had A Brother, American Angel and Please Send Me Someone (Anselmo's Song).
The album opens with the title-track Patience, which is an haunting ballad that captures the listeners' attention with its simple melody and the vulnerability of George Michael's voice. It may not strike a chord within the first few listening, however it has become a pleasant album-opener. Next up is the up-tempo, adult comtempory Amazing, which is a playful ode to a lover. It puzzled me why Amazing was chosen as the first single to be lift off the album, however it becomes clear upon the first listen of the album that Amazing is the easiest song to embrace on ''Patience''. The song has a great hook and those catchy la-la-la to make it memorable for the buyer. Yet I still find Amazing to be a sophisticated pop song that appeals to the adult marked-not the teen one, which perhaps isn't a bad thing afterall. The song managed to reach top 10 positions around Europe and the video is still being played on MTV Europe.
John And Elvis Are Dead is quite interesting. It deals with a friend, who awakens from a coma and finds himself asking why did they (John Lennon, Marvin Gaye and Elvis Presley'' have to die? A tad different than one might expect and I really like the theme of death and faith by using these famous people to portray it. Cars And Trains is a mid-tempo groover and I suspect it's the second release from Patience since I have heard it on the radio several times. Round Here is one of the best offerings on the album. It's dreamy melody and the soulfulness of George Michael's voice is a perfect blend for a good pop song. Hopefully it will be released with a nice video accompany it. It would be a waste if it didn't see the light of day as a single release. So someone take note out there!
A theme that seems to re-appear in George Michael universe is that of loss. My Mother Had A Brother has similar theme to that of Mother's Pride, the former deals with being a icon to gays. Shoot The Dog And Freeek! are former single releases though this is the first time they are found on an album. Shoot The Dog was an attempt to poke fun of the alliance between Bush and Blair and it succeed quite well if you ask me. Regardless of the highly controversial topic, it's still a decent boogie. Freek! has been remixed for Patience and it sounds better and a bit more fresh than the original. Still I'm not too fond of the song.
Other songs deservingly of a mention would include the club-banger Flawless (Go To The City), which appears to be an homage to gays. One of the better offerings on the album. While many of George Michael songs have been about love and sex, the intimacy is very much on display on Patience. American Angel is an ode to his lover and a thankful for being there through the hardships in his life. Precious Box, Please Send Me Someone (Anselmo's Song) and Through are enjoyable offerings as well.
So the question remains is Patience worth the 8 years wait? Half of the songs are top-notch, have good melodies and profound lyrics, yet the overload of ballads do affect the overall quality. Several of them are quite forgettable even with its personal lyrics. I tend to miss a better blend of up-tempos and ballads. If you like good pop songs with an adult comtempory sound then Patince will definitely appeal to you.
Overall Rate 7.0/10
on May 24, 2004
The album opens with the title-track Patience, which is an haunting ballad that captures the listeners' attention with its simple melody and the vulnerability of George Michael's voice. It may not strike a chord upon hearing it for the first time, however it has become a pleasant album-opener. Next up is the up-tempo, adult comtempory Amazing, which is a playful ode to a lover. It puzzled me why Amazing was chosen as the first single to be lift off the album, however it becomes clear upon the first listen of the album that Amazing is the easiest song to embrace on ''Patience''. The song has a great hook and those catchy la-la-la to make it memorable for the buyer. Yet I still find Amazing to be a sophisticated pop song that appeals to the adult marked-not the teen one, which perhaps isn't a bad thing afterall.
John And Elvis Are Dead is quite interesting. It deals with a friend, who awakens from a coma and finds himself asking why did they (John Lennon, Marvin Gaye and Elvis Presley'' have to die? A tad different than one might expect and I really like the theme of death and faith by using these famous people to portray it. Cars And Trains is a mid-tempo groover and I suspect it's the second release from Patience since I have heard it on the radio several times. Round Here is one of the best offerings on the album. It's dreamy melody and the soulfulness of George Michael's voice is a perfect blend for a good pop song. Hopefully it will be release with a nice video accompany it. It would be a waist if it didn't see the light of day as a single release. So someone take note out there!
A theme that seems to re-appear in George Michael universe is that of loss. My Mother Had A Brother has similar theme to that of Mother's Pride, the former deals with being a icon to gays. Freek!, a former single release, has been remixed for Patience and it sounds better and a bit more fresh than the original. Still I'm not too fond of the song. Shoot The Dog doesn't appear on the US, which is a shame since it's still a decent boogie, despite the highly controversial topic.
So the question remains is Patience worth the 8 years wait? Half of the songs are top-notch, have good melodies and profound lyrics, yet the overload of ballads do affect the overall quality. Several of them are quite forgettable even with its personal lyrics. I tend to miss a better blend of up-tempos and ballads. If you like good pop songs with an adult comtempory sound, then Patince will definitely appeal to you.
Overall Rate 7.0/10
on June 5, 2004
George Michael.....what can i say. Loved you in Wham (though i was small), absolutley loved you with "Faith" and thought I'd died and gone to heaven with "Listen Without Predijuce, Vol.1". Since then I'm not sure what happened with you Mr. Michael. Over the last 13 years (oh my god..it's been that long) since LWP, you've been hit and miss. You're fast songs have been the best...Too Funky and Fastlove; stumbled on the rest.....then you disappeared until now. And I must say what a welcome it is to have the George Michael of LWP back again. As the first song on the album, "Patience" sets the tone where LWP left off. Then you kick things up with the stellar "Amazing", which I consider to be one of the best songs of the year. US radio needs to pick up this song!!{anyone out there pleeease request this song!!!} You do have other great moments on the album "Flawless", "Please Send Me Someone"; but you could've done without "John and Elvis Are Dead" and "Freek!". Good album, but with talks that this might be your last, not the best to go out on...this sizzles but you deserve to go out with a bang!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Credit for George Michael for having the patience when he makes album, since "Wham" split up he's been far from mass producing albums and it was now 7 years ago since "Older" was released. Credit for him for beeing a very gifted songwriter that always has a meaning with his songs, back in the 80's/ early 90's he also had great melodies, something that is rare these days. AntiWars songs like "Patience" and "John and Elvis are dead" are good lyrically but utterly boring. The third antiWar song inclucded "Shoot the Dog" which was already released two years ago however is good, it's faster with a nice melody. Mid tempo soulish "Amazing" is indeed amazing, and one of the album's best tracks. "Cars and Trains" falls flat, too beat oriented. "Freek" and "Flawless" which are both meliodic and uptempo reminds me of what George can do in his best moments but there are to many slow songs that lacks a melody and hook here. "Round Here" is ok, a quite slow song but interesting, reminds me a bit of "Father Figure". "American Angel" is also slow but allright too. The rest of the songs i haven't mentioned aren't anything special. This album reminds me of "Older", it's allright but far from a solid George Michael Album full of nice melodies and hooks. it got it's moments but commerically it's no success.
on March 29, 2004
So George- what hapened to that "up" album you've been talking about for the past 8 years? I'm ecstatic to finally have a new, full-length pop album, but like "Older," there are too many ballads here. "Freeek!" and "Shoot The Dog" are good examples of the kind of "up" dance music that I'd love to hear a full album of- but these 2 tracks are former singles that I already have. So after subtracting the many ballads, I'm left with only 4 new up-tempo songs- none of which have much life to them. (OK- "Flawless" is a nice house music track that will probably be a club hit, but there's no melody to sink your teeth into.)
The first single, "Amazing," is bland, adult-contemporary pop and seems like a weak choice for a first single, until you realize that it's probably the most commercial song here.
George still has an amazing voice and can out-sing any ex-boy- band member out there today, but most of his vocals on this album are very understated and restrained. Some might call that maturity, but I wish George would loosen up a bit and do a little more soulful belting like on "One More Try" and other "Faith"-era songs.
I know this album should be appreciated for its artistic integrity, musical maturity, and introspective lyrics- but how about some good old-fashioned pop hooks? I can't even imagine any of these songs getting airplay. Many of the lyrics are too personal for any pop fan to relate to. Sure, some of the piano/vocal ballads are beautiful and moving, but they're also dark, sullen, and so auto-biographical that it's hard to get into them. These songs are all about George: his mother, his boyfriend, his uncle, his career, and so on. It's all very heartfelt, but I still wish he'd serve up a little more fun.
So- final verdict: unless you're a die-hard fan, save your money and wait for the U.S. release in June, when it will be on sale for ten bucks at Best Buy. And maybe the U.S. version will have some alternate/extra tracks.
on March 27, 2004
Appropriately titled "Patience" finally came out 8 long years after "Older." After mixed reaction and somewhat disappointing chart performance of "Freeek!" and "Shoot The Dog" in the UK, I was very curious how this album would turn out.
The latest single, "Amazing" is a good tune though it's not as memorable as his previous singles. It's catchy, and continues with the trend of adding a hint of disco. "Flawless (Go To The City)," one of the more memorable tunes in this album is a nice uptempo song that is way overdue. For those who have been Wham! fan, "Please Send Me Someone" is a very light touch easy-to-groove song, just like many Wham! songs.
The entire album is deeply personal, so much more than "Older." The question is, is that a good thing? I believe it could be too whiney for some. To me, I place myself in the middle. I can't really stand his public display of affection anthem, "American Angel." However I could really sympathize and appreciate him personally after listening to "My Mother Had A Brother," about his uncle who committed suicide. Throughout the album, lyrics are very simple like Boyzone or Westlife (or any other boy bands) could sing these songs. Worst of all, I was struck by a flash of Gary Barlow when I was listening to this album. Maybe it was because of Jonny Douglas who already past his prime in late 90's working with many others including Gary Barlow.
Though this album clearly shows his emotional struggle and growth throughout his life, it's far from being a masterpiece. "Older" and "Listen Without Prejudice" were both much superior albums. Ballads' melodies are simply forgettable. Two previous singles "Freek! 04," "Shoot The Dog" are mismatch, and awkwardly placed in this collection. After listnening this album over and over, I am growing to like this album, but I always want to reach for his previous album after listening to this one. Just like reaching for water after eating food with not so good taste. Not bad, but could be better.
on March 22, 2004
I think I've listened to "Patience" at least seven times in the past three days. Geez, the excitement of the release of this cd was beyond words. A diehard GM fan since the release of Fantastic back in my elementary school days, it's amazing that George has managed to get over all the hurdles.
It's obvious by listening to the new cd that's he's truly had his share of ups and downs. The lyrical content of the cd may lead one to believe that George Michael doesn't for one minute take anything in life for granted. He values love, and family, and life in general.
"Listen Without Prejudice" remains to the day my favorite GM release. I can't say that I was particularly fond of "Older". It was an incredible cd, however it didn't capture my attention the way his prior work did.
I think the main problem with "Older" is that the songs were too long. And as history repeats itself, "Patience" follows the same suit. Any song on this cd that is over five minutes or longer seems to drag on endlessly like a four hour stretch of highway with no change in scenery. Songs such as Flawless, Precious Box, and My Mother had a Brother are all excellent songs....for the first four minutes. Seems though like it's all the same verse throughout the songs, not much differentiation between verse and chorus. Tends to really make the songs a wee bit monotonous.
I hate to compare "Patience" to stuff he did twenty years ago, but it's 'amazing' to think of what he wrote at age 24 compared to what he's doing now. Doesn't quite match up to his early work. I miss the spark in his music, the great brass sections, toe thumping bass etc.
I guess if George Michael does not intend to release any more cd's, we can look forward to the occasional 'internet' release, hopefully with a little more 'Outside' like tunes a less 'reflection of my life' music!
on April 20, 2004
Basically agree with the reviewer from Tennessee. Amazing, Precious Box and Round Here are all right up there with George's best, but the rest is a bit of a bore, without much melody and with too many words. By far the weakest of George's solo CDs. I listened to Faith again having heard this and I realised how excellent it was, even more so compared with Patience.
on March 15, 2004
This album is not as good as his previous album and i mean OLDER sorry,i don't consider (songs from the last century )an album at all, but still george's voice is in fine form, but lyricaly not as strong. If you are new to george michael you'd probably be more satisfied with OLDER!!