5.0 out of 5 stars Audie Murphy - American, Feb. 17 2003
F. Healy (Pinehurst, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
Most of us know Audie Murphy's story... enlisted underage, became the most decorated soldier in WWII, became an actor still influenced by his military experiences, and died in a tragic plane crash. But Murphy was typical of the men who have fought and died for the salvation of the American way. He wasn't the only hero, nor the "greatest" hero. I'm sure he'd agree with that if he were here with us today. ALL those who've given their lives, their limbs, their hearts, their efforts have all been heros. Just as those who protect us now are heros.
The movie was enjoyable, and undoubtedly modified from the absolute truth in many places. But the underlying message is strong and clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Decorated of the Greatest Generation, Aug. 24 2000
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
Audie Murphy stars in the movie version of his autobiographydetailing his experiences in the Third Infantry Division in Italy and Southern France during the Second World War. Audie won every American medal awarded for combat as well as a Purple Heart and several French medals for heroism. The cast was excellent and complemented Murphy very well. The combat scenes were extremely realistic and the only movie with rivals it for scenes of fighting in the Italian Campaign is "The Story of GI Joe" which was written by Ernie Pyle. Audie was a member of the "greatest generation" and will always be one of the great heroes of American history. He made up for small stature with a heart and courage of enormous intensity. END

5.0 out of 5 stars TO HELL AND BACK WITH AUDIE MURPHY, Dec 16 2000
"specop18" (TEXARRKANA,TEXAS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
THE MOVIE "TO HELL AND BACK" WITH AUDIE MURPHY. TELL HOW A LITTLE BOY FROM TEXAS WON THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR FOR WATCHING OUT FOR HIS COMPANY IN WWII. I LIKE IT NOT BECAUSE I WAS BORN IN THE STATE OF TEXAS. BUT IT SHOW WHAT PEOPLE CAN DO IN ANY GIVING SITUATION........................................

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm embarassed, Sept. 29 2003
Greg B (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
I have to say that after I saw this movie, I was a little embarassed that I had never heard of Audie Murphy before, especially since I'm 37 years old. This guy epitomizes the term "war hero" and his story needs to be retold. I'd love to see this remade so that more generations of people would know about him. The current version was great, especially because Audie plays himself. A must watch, especially for anyone who doesn't know anything about him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, July 12 2004
This review is from: To Hell and Back (DVD)
Hey its a good movie....but one thing that the movie compresses to the extreme is his act that won him the Medal of Honor. Its EXTREMELY downplayed in the movie. In reality he held off a German advance from 3 directions for over an HOUR....an hour!!! Then just seconds after he jumped off the tank it blew up.
Just wanted to set the record straight on that....

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good Hollywood Take On Murphy's War, July 22 2000
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
The single biggest reason to watch this movie is that the star himself was in fact the single most decorated war hero of World War Two, and he is convincing here playing himself with dignity, sincerity, and humility, which, of course, Audie Murphy always had in spades. The movie was adopted from his best-selling autobiography, which my Mom let me read after blackening out all of the four letter slang (as she called it). Perhaps it shows that he was my childhood hero, and I still have a personalized autographed photo somewhere reading "Thanks, Barry, for being my fan" that a friend's mom got for three or four of us ten year olds at the time this movie was released in the mid 1950s. It was the first movie I saw ten times. And I wasn't alone; Murphy was a national icon.
The movie truly is a classic; tightly directed, poignant, honest, accurate, and showing gripping combat without being gory or maudlin. It sometimes decends into travelogue movie-theater type newsreel moments, but these are thankfully rare and forgiveable. On the other hand, this is an interesting and absolutely true story of a common and uneducated boy from rural Texas who wanted more than anything to be a soldier and serve his country, and his subsequent deeds and patriotism above and beyond the call of duty inspired a whole generation of us who wanted to imitate his call to country. Unfortunately we walked into another time and the miasma of Vietnam. But that's another story for another time. Escape back to a time when the moral choices were clearer, and a real live hero was available to act his way memorably through an accurate recounting of his extraordinary if abbreviated military career. He may be gone too soon, the victim of a plane crash in the early 1970s, but his lifetime admirers remain. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy performance by star, Nov. 23 1999
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
This is one of my favorite war films for several reasons. One is that it is always fascinating to see how a book is translated into film, and in this case, Murphy's story is told very well. And I can't remember many other films where the author plays himself! Though not the best war film ever made, it does tell the story the way Murphy wanted it told, through the eyes of the everyday soldier.
What makes the film stand out to me is that Murhpy gives a more gutsy performance than most people can realize. It was learned many years later that he suffered from recurring nightmares about the horrors he saw in war, and one can only imagine what it was like to have to recreate so many painful memories, especially the scene where his best friend(played by Charles Drake) dies in his arms. Though the character had a different name, the scene is almost exactly the way it happened.
Perhaps what I take from this is how war can so drastically change a person. Murhphy entered the war as an underage oprphan who initially was thought unfit for combat, and went on to become our most decorated combat soldier. While it does get a little cliched at times, this movie is enjoyable because it allows us to see the real hero is the common foot soldier, without whom the war could not have been won.

5.0 out of 5 stars concise and emotional war picture, Nov. 30 1998
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
A fantastic war movie, especially for 1955; I expected something more easy on the emotions, something more careful in its war scenes, but there was none of that. The film rivals Saving Private Ryan in its tense, confusing, violent battle sequences, although the gore is not there. The humanness of the soldiers is a nice touch to the movie as well; getting to know the characters and understanding the big heart of Audie Murphy forced me to stand up and cheer when the troops, or should I say friends, accomplished a difficult task. One of the most tense scenes in the movie occured when the 3rd division soldiers attempted to take a farmhouse in Anzio, a scene nothing short of nail-biting. The direction of Jesse Hibbs is tight and keeps you on the ground with the soldiers, and Audie Murphy, having been a great soldier to say the least, is actually rather good as himself, playing well off the other actors and showing feelings through subtle facial expressions. He commands the power of nuance in his performance. A good, patriotic film. Short, tense, impressive. For anyone interested in WWII. One of the best in its genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars audie murphy's best movie, Feb. 26 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: To Hell & Back (VHS Tape)
This movie was good I dont care what anyone else thinks about this movie.It was a good movie about audie murphy.In socal studies class everyone was mainy sleeping but me and my history teacher were watching it. And we wort about this movie on a worksheet.Anyways I loved the video.I give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars audie murphy's best movie, Feb. 26 2002
By A Customer

To Hell and Back
To Hell and Back by Jesse Hibbs (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 14.99