Published on Jan. 13 2011 by Dr. Joseph Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars A good film
Kevin Costner is excellent in this film. A moving, epic story about change and embracing something completely different. he assimilates into a new way of life and looking at things. Very inspiring.
Published on Nov. 16 2003 by Alicia Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Dances With Wolves (blu ray)...This Extended Cut: the definitive edition of this epic movie, Jan. 13 2011
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
In 1994, "Dances With Wolves" originally was released as a Limited Collector's Edition laser discs box set, containing the Extended Cut, together with an autographed book "The Illustrated History", signed by Kevin Costner, Michael Blake (screenplay) and Jim Wilson (producer), together with a CD soundtrack and 6 Full-Colour 11x14" Lobby Cards. The size of this box set was large table-sized, and has the same dimension as the Fantasia Laser Disc box set. In 2008, this movie was released as a 2 dvd-set, with only 181 minutes, but with DTS 5.1 Surround Sound. Now 20th Century Fox and MGM have finally given us the definitive 20th Anniversary Edition of this epic movie on high definition, 234 minutes, 2.35:1, 1080p, a single 50GB dual layer blu ray disc (no changing of disc required) and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio Sound, with a separate 25 GB disc for Special Features.

Video: This all-new Hi-Def Transfer gave the picture a very pristine and vivid look. The scenery was breathtaking. The grain consistency was film-like. Oscar-winner Dean Semler's gorgeous cinematography was ably on display. Blacks are rock solid. A 2.35:1 picture using an anamorphic lens truly showed off nobly how great and good-looking this epic picture was. (5/5)

Audio: The DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio was equally impressive, with great fidelity and deep bass. The surround was aggressive throughout. Dialogue was clear. John Barry's score was also first class. (5/5)

Trivia: In the opening scene where two doctors were examining John Dunbar, the man on the table was Kevin Costner's stand-in. The two people playing the doctors were actually the film's producer, Jim Wilson on the left and director/star Costner on the right. The voices were dubbed by other actors. And there were two wolves used. But did you know that one had to have the milky white socks painted on him.

Goofs: In the final scenes the US military came upon the recently vacated camp. Many of the soldiers were wearing overcoats with rank stripes and yellow lining. This was set during the civil war (1861 - 1865) Overcoats had no colored lining and no rank stripes. The coats worn in the film did not appear until 1883! Three birds flying over were identified as geese. They were, in fact, cranes. Electric power lines were visible during the buffalo hunt. And a noticeable dorsal stripe on Cisco the horse's back disappeared and reappeared throughout the film. The flag flying at Ft. Sedgwick was the flag with 50 stars rather than the flag used during the Civil War.

"Dances With Wolves" has won 7 Oscars, including Best Picture 1990 (Jim Wilson & Kevin Costner), Best Director (Kevin Costner), Best Cinematography (Dean Semler), Best Music, Original Score (John Barry), Best Film Editing (Neil Travis), Best Screenplay (Michael Blake) and Best Sound. It has grossed $184 million in US and $424 million worldwide (which was quite remarkable for 1990 standard). I think this is one film that Kevin Costner should be remembered for. Both the video and audio are top notched. The Extended Cut of the movie is here, and there is no need to get up to change discs. Considering the high price that I paid for this movie laser disc box set (which I still treasure), this blu ray disc set is truly a bargain and should be considered as the definitive edition of this sweeping epic film. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, April 13 2014
Shaun Fraser "rock on" (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
Besides The Unforgiven this has to be one the best western movies ever made. This movie was a little to long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Movie...., March 29 2014
“So. coming in at 3 Hours and 53 Minutes”this 20th Anniversary edition of “Dances with Wolves”
starring Kevin Costner” is the best in picture quality that I’ve seen,for a movie that was made back
in 1990. when VHS was available,then D.V.D. now with blu-ray you can’t go wrong,the 7.1 DTS-HD Master.
didn’t lived up to it’s sound quality for me.I’ve heard way better than this,but it’s still better than the true HD.
quality.I can tell by some of the reviewer response for the length of the movie that it’s long and boring,
this length is so essential to the outcome,especially when you read the last notes at the end of the movie,
here you have the war of the 18th hundred going on,and it seems that everyone is in chaos. even the commanding
officer.who gives him his assignment.eventually shooting himself.what was the most beautiful thing,is the understanding
of each other,that Kevin Costner capture so well,my hats off to him for that,you have to remember this man Lt. Dunbar.

was sent to an outpost that was Desolate,was waiting for his release from another battalion company.that never came
in time,so he was forced to fend for himself,for months on end,even for the love of two socks,that he shared his home
with,just to see the love the man had for the wolf,and the Wolf show in return,is nothing more than heartbroken in the end.
I Absolutely love this movie.and there is So much Extras on the movie disc.and the disc two.so you don’t have to get
up and change discs the movie is on one disc,so even if you can’t watch the whole movie at once,it has a resume option when you
turn your unit back on,
Love This Movie....

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite masterpiece!, Sept. 4 2005
Julia Stewart "Giulia D. Stewart" (Auckland, NZ) - See all my reviews
This film is very special to me, it touches on everything that is truly important in my life: beautiful love and friendship not just between people but also between people and animals, loyalty & dedication, harmony and victory. The cinematography is breathtaking, the music score is lovely and the cast is absolutely superb, including Cisco and Two Socks. I take my hat off for Kevin Costner's genius as director and actor. The film is difficult one to make, considering the fact that John Dunbar spends a lot of time on his own with no one to talk to, and yet it is very entertaining. The battles are crafted tastefully, the love scenes are stylish with no unnecessary details and the humour is just the right dose.
Dances With Wolves is an exquisite masterpiece and the two-disc extended edition is the special treat the film deserves. The transfer is high quality and it comes with stylish, cleverly designed keep case. The personal touch from Kevin Costner and Jim Wilson makes it even more special for every true fan of the movie. Take your time to indulge in this wonderful experience! I had an amazing weekend viewing the video. Had the feeling that Kevin and Jim were in my screening room when their commentary were on and I learned a lot about these remarkable men and what they have to go through to make it happen. I will treasure my old disc and will go back to it often in future but when I need a dose of pure inspiration and motivation, I will play the extended version, listening to the last few words that Kevin says in his commentary. Absolutely fascinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dances With Wolves, Jan. 6 2004
This review is from: Dances With Wolves (VHS Tape)
This was a second viewing for me. I saw it a few years ago, loved it then, love it now.
In my opinion, Costner's depiction of how things were between Indians and White Men was true to form. I tend to like books and movies that show both sides of the coin, so to speak, and this movie did so.
Yes, the behaviour of the white men was over-played; surely all white people aren't that mean. But you have to figure, at that time the kind of men we see portrayed in that movie were products of their own time.
The timeline the movie is set in, isn't your modern-day world where everyone is careful about what they say and how they view other races of people.
That is how a lot of people reacted to native people. There were bad guys on our side too.
Something I liked about this movie was that women were not shown as being second-rate members of the tribe. They were treated decently and respected. We can well imagine there were some groups who did not treat their women well, but we can also imagine there were white men who also abused women.
I was impressed with the extra coverage that came with our DVD set. I was surprised to know that the cast went to the trouble of learning the language of the D'akota. And I was surprised to know that not all native people know how to speak the ancient languages.
One of the most poignant scenes in the movie is when Kevin Costner gets the wolf to take meat from his hand. It was very sad when the wolf was shot.
I cannot think of any parts of this movie that did not hold my interest.
I am so impressed by the movie, that I have ordered the book, and the audio version of the original novel.
Carly Svamvour - Writer - Toronto, Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heartbreaking Journey into the Wilds of The Dakotas., May 7 2004
Ryne Williams (Cleveland, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Kevin Costner may have made some movie duds, but he makes of for it in sensational movies. Dances with Wolves is one of my most favorite films of all time. It is so sad. It makes you feel bad for settling in America. The film has great perfomances throughout the entire film. The plot takes you into another world. The cinematography is also some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The realism of the indian tribe and the way people lived in the 1800s is wonderful. Everyone should see this movie at some time in their lifetime, I highly reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's a critic, April 14 2004
T. P. Jackson (Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I saw Dances With Wolves at the theatre in 1990 and have always counted it as one of my favorite films.
As I began building my DVD collection, I considered it a "must have." But, I really hesitated buying the Special Extended Edition because a lot of reviewers had stated that the DVD was "overly long" and that the extended scenes had really hurt the content of the film.
Well, in my opinion, these critics are dead wrong. The special edition is every bit as beautiful and stirring as the original release. Yes, the pace of the film is slow, but never boring or dull. There is so much for the viewer to just sit back and take in.
And I wonder how many of those who complained about the movie's four hour length have ever sat through a 4-6 hour mini-series, plus commercials. My advice - view longer films over 2-3 nights, take your time and enjoy an epic such as Dances.
I highly recommend this version. It's a real shame that Kevin Costner's run at the top was so short. In a span of only a few years, he gave us The Untouchables, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, and of course, his masterpiece, Dances With Wolves. We have all heard enough Waterworld jokes, so I will refrain. Who knows, maybe some day soon, KC will find that cinema magic once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 2 DVD set!!! 5 Star Film!!! 5 Star DVD!!!, Jan. 16 2004
Jason P. Pumphrey "the movie & music man" (Falls Church, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This 2 DVD set is awesome!!! Contains the extended widescreen version of the film!!! And the extras ara super cool too. The ultimate version of this classic film!!! Two thumbs up!!! Five stars!!! A+

3.0 out of 5 stars A good film, Nov. 16 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Make it even longer!, Sept. 28 2003
P. Warner "Patty" (Middle of Nowhere, Maine) - See all my reviews
Review on the extended version/special edition -- If you loved the original Dances with Wolves - you must buy this extended version of the movie. The scenes that were put back in made the story much clearer and actually changed the entire meaning of one scene. I couldn't believe they ever took these scenes out. You won't regret watching the extended version. All I could say after watching it was --- make it longer, make it longer! I wish they would put out the actual ENTIRE movie the way Kevin Costner intended when it was made. I would watch the entire thing - I don't care how long it is.

ARRAY(0xa72475c4)

Dances with Wolves (Full Screen)
Dances with Wolves (Full Screen) by Kevin Costner (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 15.98 CDN$ 15.83