4.0 out of 5 stars Hearfelt and souful.
Although Amy Winehouse has been on the music scene since the release of her debut album "Frank", in 2003, it is only since the release of her latest album, last year's "Back To Black", that she has made any real impact.
Published on Jan. 23 2008 by luc_doc7

3.0 out of 5 stars Frank
Published 8 months ago by C. Chaffin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Hearfelt and souful., Jan. 23 2008
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
"Frank" may have earned her a Mercury Music Award nomination and an Ivor Novello award, but she had very little chart success with the album or singles.
On "Frank" she sounds as if she has performed a thousand times in smoky jazz clubs.
So it comes as some surprise to learn that she is just 24 and was raised in north London.
Sitting somewhere between Nina Simone and Erykah Badu, Winehouse's sound is at once innocent and sleazy.
She claims that she can only write about what she has already learned, but she makes some starkly candid and humorous social observations on the brazen single, "Stronger Than Me".
Standout track "Take the Box" is a stunningly soulful tale of returning an ex-lover's possessions and "You Send Me Flying" does just that, thanks to a colossal vocal talent.
"October Song", meanwhile, forges uplifting jazz out of the death of a pet canary.
There are contradictions - but it's hard not to hear the honesty and soul that resonates throughout this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album NEEDS to be released in the USA, May 13 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Though the lyrics of Winehouse's songs make more sense and hold more meaning for urban Brits, there's no reason why Americans can't identify with her frank music. It's a great combination of jazz, soul, and r&b. If I had to pin it down, I'd say she's Billie Holiday meets Esthero. I just can't believe she's only 19.
Every single song is fantastic, but I think You Sent Me Flying, Take The Box, Know You Now, and Help Yourself are the standouts on the album. I can't stop playing them. Island needs to release this in the States. It's outrageous that the CD is over $30; I bought it for £9.79 at Sainsbury's!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Refreshing Sound, July 12 2005
Deb (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Amy Winehouse is featured on many British compilation CD's and so I decided to finally pick up the CD and I am so glad that I did!! Amy Winehouse delivers the perfect blend of jazz and r&b. Her unique vocals are definitely refreshing. It is a well produced CD and I would highly recommend it. Think Billie Holiday mixed with the soul of Mary J!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankly Amy, Sept. 10 2011
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Following the event of her tragic departure, I purchased this album not knowing what to expect. Truly sublte and perhaps Amy's most frank work. Brings simultaneously a smile and a tear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her first was her best!!!, Nov. 24 2011
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Anyone interested in getting to know Amy Winehouse should buy this album. It is highly addictive & I couldn't be happier it's occupying space in my CD player. She left us way too soon but it's songs like these that will linger on for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amy, Nov. 14 2011
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Fantastic voice and a great album. The lyrics to her music show a troubled soul. Her death is a total shame and one of the greatest losses of talent to the music world. May she rest in peace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frank, Oct. 29 2013
C. Chaffin (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
If you like Amy Winehouse then you will like this album. Vocally she does an amazing job and you can really appreciate what she brings in her songs. I rated it 3 stars more for actual lyrics where I don't find it as something I can relate to at all so this is something for me that makes better back ground music than something to be enjoyed word for word. Still an okay album and a good addition if you like Amy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy Winehouse is a legend!, Aug. 24 2008
JC (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Despite all the negative media attention Amy Winehouse has, she is a relevant and important voice in music. She has got talent to spare and her debut is in many ways even better than her sophomore album Back to Black. I love both albums, but there is something about Frank that has me hitting the play button more often than with her follow-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars hits the core, July 10 2004
W R Visser (Leusden Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Aged 52, I bought this CD mainly to hear what today's young people's taste is like.
Having listened to 'Frank' several times, I am not disappointed. This CD provides a perfect reflection of today's mentality: a very strong individualism, with consequently a low sense of community. And, an Amy Winehouse not afraid of expressing her annoyance with some males around her.
Musically I think 'Frank' quite adequate. But its strong point remains its hitting of today's mood to the very core.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars, May 10 2004
This review is from: Frank (Audio CD)
Amy Winehouse - Frank (Universal, 2003)
I read about Amy on dustygroove.com and I had to check this album out. She doesn't disappoint here. It may take some time to get into her voice, though. She has a Ms. Dynamite/Nelly Furtado thing going on (although I would listen to Furtado over these two artists). Still, help yourself to "Help Yourself" and the funny but true "F*** Me Pumps", where Amy tells a woman to stop dressing the way she does if she wants some respect in the clubs. Producer Salaam Remi (Nas' God's Son, Fugees' The Score) contributes here as well; in fact, "In My Bed" features the same beat from Nas' "Made You Look". -EJR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Frank
Frank by Amy Winehouse (Audio CD - 2004)