5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, the CBC-only material is omitted.
Published on April 16 2008 by skyhawk0

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfied
I ordered the complete first season of "Kids in the Hall" in 2011, and it took way too long to ship and when I received it, it only contained three discs of a four-disc box set. I got a refund, but it was a gift and I was completely disappointed and unsatisfied.
Published 22 months ago by Jeffrey D.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfied, Sept. 29 2012
This review is from: Kids in the Hall: Complete Season 1 1989-1990 [4 Discs] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, the CBC-only material is omitted., April 16 2008
skyhawk0 (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
True KiTH fans know that the show ran on CBC in Canada and HBO in the States, and the troupe would tape each episode twice. Sadly for us Canadian fans, the US version is all that's available on DVD and we have to put up with Mark saying he's from Maine rather than the Ottawa Valley and other little paeans to their US broadcaster. Many times these are innocuous, but as in the previous example, some impact the punchlines.

The truly sad omission is that occasionally skits that were too Canadian for American audiences were replaced entirely. While it's great to get "The Dr. Seuss Bible", it's appalling that "Bad Sketch", detailing how all Canadians own the sketch through the CBC, is missing. Even worse an omission is the first appearance of Dave and Kevin's trappeurs, singing "Alouette" as they trap businessmen to sell their Fendi and Armani pelts.

Still, this is still the Kids and the material is far beyond what you'd find in any other sketch show. They avoid the quick pop-culture references of most American sketch shows, and while they dip into the absurdism of Monty Python, there's much more of a sense of social commentary and even activism in their work. This season is less polished than future seasons,as it's before they get used to writing for television, but it is the freshest, as they could work off their long history of stage work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Inventive Sketch Comedy, July 19 2004
SandmanVI (Glen Allen, VA United States) - See all my reviews
The great thing about Kids in the Hall was that they shunned the topical, obvious humor so common within the ranks of SNL, MAD TV, In Living Color, Ben Stiller and so forth. KITH relished the subtle quirks of everyday existence: inanely busy businessmen, a mullet-headed slacker obsessed with his beat-up heap of a used car, or the morose "nobody likes us" outcasts who hang themselves just to make a point. Granted, all of these are not gems; truth be told, the Kids hadn't yet hit full stride as they would in later seasons. You may have to suffer through a few clunkers but it is all worth it. Personally I think the risk-reward is worth it for the edgy elements and oddball genius. If you want to be this creative and be truly landmark then you can't always grab the obvious punchline. Long live the Kids! can't wait for the stronger seasons to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not SNL But great, June 12 2004
Chris (St.Louis,MO) - See all my reviews
This has some great shows and all 5 play many different charecters.They play very brilliant carectors and they are all quite funny.I wish Comedy Central would stop showing that Mad TV crap that is gross-and not funny where as this and SNL were
very gross but extremally funny.Comedy Central I want to see this and Saturdaynight go back to the classics not the retarded Mad TV that is very unfunny don't support that crap

5.0 out of 5 stars A (Pear) Dream Come True, June 8 2004
By A Customer
I remember once flipping through the channels one Thursday night in 1989, and I hit CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Channel). A show was about to start, and preceding it came a warning that some may find the material offensive. My teenage sensibilities piqued, I set down the remote and watched - and was hooked.
That was The Kids In The Hall, and I never stopped watching them. I loved the Eradicator, Buddy Cole, Cabbage Head, the Head Crusher, dull extra-terrestrials, slow-poke country doctors hankering for apple pie while ma battles the grim reaper upstairs, daves I know, and much much more.
I watched them on Canadian TV for years, and then some more on Comedy Central. And now, they're arriving on DVD - finally! I'm so happy I can enjoy the madcap comedy unedited in any dosage I want (need!). So far it's been a total laughfest and a wonderful trip down memory lane.
My only complaint: It's only season one. They've been off the air for 10 years and we're only now getting the first season. But it's been worth the wait and I can only hope they'll get the rest out ASAP. That and Monty Python and all vital comedy needs are met.
Sex-Girl Patrol, anyone?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Kids' best, but please buy it anyway, June 4 2004
The Kids in the Hall was a brilliant show. It is so much funnier than Saturday Night Live, and more timeless, too. Saturday Night Live spends most of its time making fun of celebrities, current events, and trends. After a few years it loses its edge. The Kids make fun of life and people's quirks. Sketches from '89 hold up just as well as they did fifteen years ago.
There are many great moments in this set. A husband and wife fighting in the middle of the night over a salty ham, a punk-ish banker lamenting about his job (and using the f-word liberally), an elderly man pooping for the first time in four years, a Vaudeville act with the worst straight-man in history, and many more which are kind of hard to explain. Actually, one of the best parts about Kids in the Hall sketches is how baffling they can be. Many sketches don't have a real joke; you just laugh at how absurd they are.
Despite my praise, the first season does not show the Kids at their finest. Many sketches fall flat; others start funny but drag on far too long. Most of this is good stuff, but you can tell the Kids haven't perfected their craft yet. But I'm not sure we'll get to the good stuff if more people don't buy this one. So I urge you: If you like the Kids, please fork over some money. I mean, I think this set is worth the money on its own, but you'll also help ensure seasons 2 through 5, which are even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yahoooooooooo!, May 25 2004
K. Stuckey "kateling" (Port Huron, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I have been waiting for this set since the TV on DVD trend started. This is a great package and has the beginnings of the greatness that is the Kids in the Hall. From the first appearance of Buddy Cole to their spin on SNL's Land Shark ("Skooora!") - to me, this box set is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Inventive Sketch Comedy, May 24 2004
Scott McFarland (Manassas, VA United States) - See all my reviews
These guys were trying to do something different, and they did. They interjected much of the feel of "acting" and roleplaying and their own personalities into state-of-the-art sketch comedy.
And their sketches focused on real elements of life (the family unit, the work environment) in ways that hadn't been done before. And they were FUNNY as heck some of the time. And overly effete and surreal some of the time - which is true of Monty Python's Flying Circus as well if you really get down to it.
If you like Monty Python, SCTV, Saturday Night Live, and/or the great underknown "Mr. Show" you should definitely give these guys a spin. They did great work together. The set looks good and the extras on Disc 4 are quite good and promote a better understanding of what this group was doing and what they were about.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING BOX SET--A MUST FOR KITH FANS, May 24 2004
By A Customer
Please tell me that every "KITH" season release will be as good as this one! Every episode is presented at 10mbps through and through, even the extras. There's some fun on-stage work by the kids at The Rivoli in Toronto, as well as a surprisingly illuminative 35-minute documentary about the genesis of KITH, with all five troup members and Lorne Michaels. Kudos to the team that put this DVD set together--they know their business! I can simply not wait another minute for the other 4 seasons to be released on DVD. Hurry, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deja vu!, May 21 2004
For anyone who appreciates the madness of Monty Python, the Kids in The Hall are a great second-helping of sketch comedy that doesn't fall into the trap SNL did (of putting easily-accessible to a wider audience over subtle and intelligent). The five Canadians who are chronicled in this first season are fresh-faced young men who know what kind of comedy they want to achieve, even if the rest of the world's a bit unsure what to make of them.
I first came across the Kids in college, a few years back, when Comedy Central began airing reruns from their long-ended TV show. I may not be as devoted as some KITHers in terms of memorizing skits and catchphrases, but I am truly in the camp of people who think the Kids are fantastic.
This DVD set is much-analyzed in previous reviews, and i haven't fully enjoyed all the episodes, but from what I have been able to gleam in my four days of owning it I can say it's a fantastic buy. Not everything works, but the sketches that do are bar none some of the best-written and -acted material in all comedy.
The first few seasons were broadcast on HBO (before a network switch to CBS in the early Nineties, when I stumbled across them but didn't "get" them yet) and thus there's a lot of cursing that didn't make it onto the Comedy Central-aired eps. Ocasionally the proceedings get a bit more odd than funny, but anyone who appreciates the Kids knows that was part of their charm.
The bonus fourth disc features the interviews and voiceovers on certain sketches ("That's the one we bombed on Letterman"), and is a nice companion to the series.
Overall, I say this is an essential buy for anyone who loves the Kids, or is a Python nut but not familiar with them, or anyone who simply loves fantastic comedy. Lorne Michaels gave them their start, then wisely stepped back and let the Kids do their own thing. This is the ultimate sketch comedy show of the post-Python era, and a worthy successor (maybe I'm aking too much of the Python references, but it's my review. Go write your own, Python-free review and leave me alone). Go buy it now, you'll laugh your butt off guarenteed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›