5.0 out of 5 stars Prince Charming or Prince Alarming:You choose part1
Published on July 6 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars alas poor yorick you were too short...
Published on Oct. 1 2004 by dolan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Over before it's unwrapped!!!!, Oct. 22 2004
"prufrockac" (Aurora, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
I bought this game the day it came out. I was finished it, including all side quests about a week later. This game was amazing. The graphics were fantastic and the different choices to make made the game-play interesting enough to keep me hooked.
There were a limited number of enemies to fight and as my character evolved I found that they became far to easy to defeat, even in large numbers.
Although the game says that it provides you with the freedom to do whatever you wish I don't believe this is so. Admittedly you can be as good or as bad as you like and this does affect your interaction with other characters. However the environment itself is limiting and very linear. You can't jump and so the smallest of rocks or ledges are impossible obstacles. Basically every area amounts to a number of paths that you can travel and little else. There is no real sense of exploring an area or discovering secrets.
In the end it was the shortness of this game that disappointed me the most. The story progresses and the quests are fun and entertaining, but in truth there aren't enough of them. The plot is unidirectional and predictable. This game would have benefitted from about 30 more hours of game play or more.
The truth is when I reached the final battle against the last boss I couldn't believe it was the end. I thought for certain there would be more, perhaps I would be transported into another world or dimention a dark version or light version [based on my good-evil rating] something...ANYTHING! But alas the credits rolled and I was left with an empty feeling. The end simply came too quickly.
I recommend this game to fans of RPG games with Live Action Battle because it was fun and kept me absolutely enthralled with the game-play [limited as it was]. But rent it, don't buy it. That is all the time you will need to ring this game dry.

3.0 out of 5 stars alas poor yorick you were too short..., Oct. 1 2004
dolan (montreal, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
This was one of my most anticipated games of the year... to be honest I really enjoyed the game very much, all the character features and scaring is really cool, the only problem is if you listen to the guild master for your quests this game is way too short... and I mean short. I finished the whole game in nine and a half hours... I've heard that there are allot of side quest and other things to do but the actual story is very short... I guess you have to ignore the guild master quests to stretch the game out.
The fighting system is amazingly fun but there isn't really anything which will challenge you; I only died a couple of times and that was usually due to not paying attention to my health... in all a good game but really looses points on being too short. Although I'm going to play it again... Oh and there are no shields, what's with that?
In case you were wondering I have "very" poor hand eye coordination and if I finished this game in under ten hours that means someone if they tried could do it allot faster... five maybe less... thanks for reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars As good as this game sounds..., Sept. 25 2004
Loki (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
When I first heard about Fable, I was amazed and totally stoked for its release. This game sounded very ambitious and pretty cool due to the amount of features that the game was offering.
-Your character evolves throughout the game. You can choose hair styles, tatoos and clothing.
-A do-what-you-want experience. You can choose to be good, evil or somewhere in between.
-A good targeting system and melee, ranged and magic combat.
But despite everything that should have made Fable the RPG all future RPG's would be compared to, there was one flaw, and it's a major one: the plot. The plot is beat you with a stick obvious and predictable. In any game, there is really only 30 seconds of fun that happens over and over. What ties one set of 30 seconds to the next is the plotline. Fable had me crying for more. Not only for a more in depth story, but also a longer one. I believe that an RPG should have at least 20-30 hours of playtime if one only plays through the main quest line. Fable is around 12 hours. I was actually pretty disappointed and felt really let down with the quality of the story. I think the developers spent too much time perfecting the rest of the game, that there wasn't enough time to really nail down the story.
If you're not really concerned about the plot, then you might find this an amazing game. If not, but still want to try this game, rent it for a weekend and decide for yourself. If you are into PC gaming, checkout Gothic 1 and 2 or Neverwinter Nights instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince Charming or Prince Alarming:You choose part1, July 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
In this game you choose if you are a well respected admired by all that matter,women through themselves at you,little kids where their hair like you and dress like you,your cheered when you come into to towns and get all the deals,sounds nice being the hero,sounds realy good to an angelic hero,I'll get to that in a later.But why be good,good is boring for the most part.You could be an outlaw admired by the the deginerat scum,a rapeist,a man who steals candy from babies,people run and hide when you enter towns,and many merchents may hate you and over charge you.
Now if you chose the path of Righteousness(why you would I don't know) you will basicly save people on a quest to avenge your parents deaths.If you accidently kill an innocent first off congradulations there may still be a chance for you to be evil,second you can go to the Chapel of Light to redeem yourself.When you wanna settle down you'll be able to marry anyone of those damsel in destress types,then have kids that'll act like Beaver and Wally Cleaver.
Now onto the fun stuff:EVIL!Now all you light wieghts who think you'll be Darth Vader like that,it won't be that easy.To get to Vader status you have to be a souless menicle bastard.On your way to kill the SOB that killed your parents you'll marry an equaly hard chic and have kids that will remind you of Cain and Able,without the Able.And to be evil you have to creative.Anyone can be bad if you want to evil:do the bad thing,then do the right thing,which means you double crossed everyone,and when all is said and done kill em' all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anticipation is Amazing, June 25 2004
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
I have been following the progress of this video game for some time now, and the way in which it has expanded and developed on the theme of player control in a video game is quite simply amazing. Indeed, video games in general seem to be branching out to cover vast new areas, in general moving towards becoming a more mainstream medium the equivalent of books or movies. It seems to me that a large portion of this movement is the idea that the player of a particular video game should control his/her gaming experience more than the developer, and, "I have to say, I like it. Games like Black and White, Deus Ex, Grand Theft Auto, etc. have shown that gamers in general appreciate the chance for freedom inside their various virtual worlds, and it is this that leads me to expect great things from Fable. Until then, however, I'll just have to bide my time until Fable hits the shelves-eagerly devouring any new information on the title-in order to make my final judgement.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, Oct. 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
I was craving for a good RPG on XBOX, and when Fable came out, I was satisified, for about two weeks. Fable's graphics are amazing, the freedom to do what you will is outstanding. The freedom is probably what makes the game good. You can walk from town to town being good, or bad. Killing bad guys or being their ally. The choice to create your own image is also nice, I like the concept of the magic and the upgrades. The character can become very powerful.
The story is weak, but not boring. I would reccomend that you would rent this game for 7 days and just have fun. DOn't buy it, because once you beat it in two weeks it becomes boring.
There are a few glitches in the sounds and in the fighting but nothing that isnt critical to disrupt play.
rent dont buy, but make sure you experience it because it will be worth your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anything you want to do ?, Sept. 26 2004
Amazon Customer "enclume" (St-Marthe-sur-le-lac, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
What people were really waiting for in this game was the fact that you could do whatever you wished. That is unfortunatly only partialy true.
You walk into short "zones" that need about a minute to load, there are roads to follow, you can't just run around anywhere.
You can beat up anyone in your path, although this will trigger guards to attack you if your in a city. Nothing you can't handle either.
The graphics are rather nice, and you might get a bit addicted to running and completing every quests. The main storyline lasts for about 10hours. There are some minor glitches sometimes, but it's an overall 4 stars.
Money you should invest in this game: About 30-35$

5.0 out of 5 stars Fable is the best Action RPG ever, Nov. 5 2005
Brian Edey (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
I have waited for Fable for EVER, and when I got it (day it was out) I played it and played it.. Ive finished it well over 15 times, probably closer to 25.
Good, Evil, Neutral
Long Range, Melee, Caster, combinations (lots of combos)
Ive done all the quests, bought all the homes, cheated, killed my wife, slept with the Lady Grey, and done it so many times it never gets old.
I am picking up the lost chapters version for Xbox as soon as its on Amazon.ca because 33% more content is worth the 30 bucks for this classic game. Cant wait for Fable 2 for Xbox360

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game but Short, Nov. 14 2005
D. Chandon "Dems" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
Xbox finally got the RPG that would possibly contend with Final Fantasy. Although in every aspect of the game it beats out Final Fantasy as far as the reputation you build as well as the amazing graphics, sounds and just superb gameplay. Sadly, the game is short compared to other RPGs, although the customization as well as the character evolution is excellent. The game is beautifully made and all the aspects of it shows what the Xbox is capable of. Hopefully, there's a follow-up in the next generation of consoles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Join the dark side!, June 18 2004
Jennifer C. Armstrong "Monkeybutt" (Deep in the underworld) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable: The Lost Chapters (Video Game)
Fable looks cool. Its rated mature because you can cut off heads. If you are good everyone will love you and you will have an angelic glow. But if you are evil you sprout devil horns and people will flee from your mighty empire. You will have a tan if you are always out at day but if you stay out at night you be as pale as a ghost. You can buy houses and castles and even get married and have kids! This will be the ultimate rpg.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fable: The Lost Chapters
Fable: The Lost Chapters by Microsoft (Xbox)
CDN$ 29.98