5.0 out of 5 stars KEEP IT UP KEEP IT UP...
Published on June 9 2004 by S. Quinto

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slight Sophomore Slump
Published on Nov. 5 2009 by Dave_42

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Better, July 3 2004
Jennifer French (Garland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
UNDER MY SKIN is the sophomore effort by "bad girl" Avril Lavigne. While the music is still very much pop, the lyrics have more meaning to them and explore deeper into life. Avril left the boys of The Matrix and combined with Evan Taubenfeid, Chantal Kreviazuk, Ben Moody (Evanscence), Raine Maida, and Butch Walker to create her new voice and it shows in the tracks. While not as many radio friendly tunes as the debut, the album supports enough tracks to make a fine stay on the charts. Some of my personal favorites are as follows:
"Together" the tale of a couple who no longer feel they are connecting to one another.
"Don't Tell Me" the first single. The tale of a girl standing up for herself when a guy puts her down for not "giving it up" right away.
"My Happy Ending" the second single and the best track on the album. This tells of a romance gone bad and should remain on the charts throughout the summer.
"Nobody's Home" is the song with Ben Moody. It is the tale of a woman trying to find her way, but cannot.
"Slipped Away" is the song dedicated to her grandfather, who recently passed. Very nice tribute to someone she obviously cared very deeply for.
I highly recommend Avril's album, but if you are looking for a repeat of her first album, you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars KEEP IT UP KEEP IT UP..., June 9 2004
S. Quinto (Guatemala, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
It's no doubt there was a big expectation for Lavigne's follow up. Gladly she worked with new and fresh producers and with amazing writer Chantal K. who helped her with a few lyrics. Overall don't expect to have the most introspective album deliver to us by this canadian brat. After all is her second album. The songs are simply delightful POP-ROCK tunes that aboards every theme from LOVE, SOLITUDE AND FORGIVENESS. This is a great album from the begginning to the end. Maybe the best coming out this year. Of course is unfair to compare ALANIS and AVRIL since their albums came by the same time, it's just not right because the both of them are talented and most of all different. Back 2 Avril's album, the best tracks are the history telling "Nobody's Home" were you can tell the desperation of the caracter, well sung by Lavigne, "Don't Tell Me" the leading single a in your face love song, about, yes! she's not an easy girl, how ironic, but then it's lovely to see somebody like Avril demanding respect. Love the momentuos of the last chorus, a great song. "Who Knows" this track sounds so anthemic and easy to sing along with, and a great track. "My Happy Ending" supposed to be the second cut to be release to radio waves, although is catchy and not bad at all, it's not one of my top tracks, but it's ok. "He Wasn't" souns a lil-ske8r boi alike, this is fast, and funny to hear that the man she expected him to be is not, "How Does It Feel" is a slow track of put yourself in my feet, this is a more mature Lavigne, "Forgotten" it's a total rocker song, another mature one, but it doesn't mean it's the best one. "Freak Out" sounds funny and anoying, "Slipped Away" dedicated to her grampa, it's sad and slow, a great closure. "Take Me Away", "Together" both sounds a like, and "Falls To Pieces" is forgettable. At the end this is a great comeback sophomore album that hopefully won't get stucked in bad promotion or radio overlooked tracks, just like many albums that came this year. This is a well invested money record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rockin', Feb. 19 2005
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
This is an AMAZING CD. At first i like, wasn't really sure about it, now i like it, NO! I LOVE IT! This CD is amazing, it is NOT a waste of money like evryone says it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slight Sophomore Slump, Nov. 5 2009
Dave_42 "Dave_42" (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
"Under My Skin" may not be as good as Avril Lavigne's first album overall, but there are some strong pieces here and it is not too big of a drop from her debut. In particular the slower pieces are weak by comparison with her first album, and there isn't as much diversity in sound. This album was released on May 24th, almost exactly two years after her debut, and almost three years prior to her third album.

The album opens with some good tracks. "Take Me Away" has got a good edge to it, though the lyrics are a bit vague. It leads well into "Together" another solid piece, though it isn't quite as good as "Take Me Away" in my opinion. "Don't Tell Me" is the first single from the album, and it has a good strong message for young teen girls about not letting boys pressure them into going farther than they want to. "He Wasn't" is about a failed relationship, which fits right into a good portion of this album. It has a catchy chorus, but it is probably the weakest of the opening four pieces and yet still fairly good. "How Does It Feel" is the first example of the weaker slow songs. It is fairly forgettable overall. "My Happy Ending" is my personal favorite on the album, and a good closer for the first half of the album.

"Nobody's Home" opens the second half of the album, another good piece. The video focuses on the idea of being homeless, but one can also take the lyrics as emotional isolation. "Forgotten" starts a bit slow and soft, but the sound builds through the first chorus. It adds a bit of diversity in sound with its different approach, but it isn't anything special. "Who Knows" is another decent piece, but nothing especially memorable, and a few too many repeats of the word "yeah" making it almost sound like a parity of herself in parts. "Fall to Pieces" is another weaker song on the album, good for one listen, but not something I would listen to over and over again and lyrically it is fairly weak. "Freak Out" is a nice return to some rock. Ultimately it isn't as good as the best tracks on the album, but it benefits from its placement after several weaker pieces. "Slipped Away" is another weak slow song, though perhaps the best of those available, which isn't saying a lot.

This album has several good pieces, but overall it doesn't hang together as well as her first album. It lacks the diversity of the first album, and what little it has tends to be in the weaker efforts on the album. The first half is significantly better than the second half, and even though this is a step backward for her, it is still a bit above average as far as albums go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Good Album..., July 20 2007
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
This album is awesome...the last awesome album she made. People accuse her lyrics and melodies of being too basic, and not having a good vocabulary. But it's her simplicity and raw emotion that really speak to you, not her wit and complicated phrasing.
Take Me Away-7/10: I like the chorus, but the verses can get annoying.
Together-10/10: One of my favorites, great rocky chorus
Don't Tell Me-8/10: Good song, good message, but the intro's annoying and you get sick of it after a while.
He Wasn't-10/10: My favorite song on the album. It's basic, but it's loud and slightly bratty, with lots of attitude. Very catchy. And I just love that line, "This is when i start to bite my nails/And clean my room when all else fails"
How Does It Feel-6/10: My least favorite track, I have no idea why, the chorus just doesn't make much sense
My Happy Ending-10/10: She just sounds so sad and real in this album.
Nobody's Home-9/10: Great song, great vid, and she is NOT encouraging homelessness, but just sympathizing with a trouble person
Forgotten-8/10: Good song, harder rocking
Who Knows-8/10: Slightly jarring, because she's suddenly optimistic and having fun in a relationship instead of getting mad at various annoying boyfriends. But it's still a good song. Though I cannot stand that line "I'm gonna live each day like it's my last day".
Fall To Pieces-9/10: Wonderful love ballad, very hopeful
Freak Out-7/10: It's a pretty good song, but by now I was getting sick of the "let me live my life you can control me" thing.
Slipped Away-10/10: Simple and sad and heartfelt, the most real feeling song on the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good album with mistakes few and far between, July 18 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
"Under MY Skin" is a very good album. There are really only two mistakes in the album that keep it from beign truly great. Avril lack consistency in her lyrics from song to song. Most of the time her lyrics are very powerful and intriguing, but then she seems to run out of creative ideas and produce goofy lyrics. But if you think about it she is speaking to teenagers who are straightfoward and brutally honest these days and so therefore her lyrics work when you think about who she is talking too. Tyhe other problem is that she doesn't have a variety of stories to tell. Being a girl with boy problems is the soul idea for most of tthe songs on this album but her wonderful music and singing help make the ideas and lyrics sound a lot better. They way she delivers each of the songs about relationships is terrific in that she is not complaining about the break up like most pop singers do, she says it was time and she is able to move on. She sings with a determined, confident, agressiveness that is truly a breath of fresh air in todays music industry. The best song on the CD, "forgotten" is wonderful to listen to and sounds very much like a rock song, with some violions towards the end that only make it ten times better. Throughout the CD Avril hints at what I think she really wants to do, which is create some very powerful rock music and in the songs in which she tries it she does it beautifully. This album is very good and as she matures she will only get better. "Under My Skin" is definitely worth a look if you are searching for something with a little pop sound with true rock at its core.

1.0 out of 5 stars IT'S NOT DIFFERENT AT ALL, IS IT STEVE?!, July 17 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
"Inconnu" by Zen Sauvage is one of the most solid works I've ever heard from an artist. While it would be easy to pin this album under the glitch aesthetic, there's an expansive, organic undercurrent that keeps this album from being a workout in funny noises. Muted analog beats drive slowly under vast washes of decayed house synth lines in the most natural of fashions. For moments, you forget this is an electronic album. Imagine Biosphere's "Cirque" at a more glacial pace. Best of all, the album is free. "Inconnu" is the sounds of life, the common and the strange. People are just a form of ant, the clouds orchestrate the mood the day, the drone orchestra of wind rattling through the trees, and the subtle realization there's so much being missed.
So where does this leave Avril Lavigne, you might ask? I don't care. I'd rather write a review of an album worth my time. This crap is low, even by teenage girl pop standards. Don't settle with this mediocrity. I beg of you to go buy an album of an artist you've never heard. Download the one I mentioned above from the Internet, it's free and actually dares to stimulate a form of higher thought in the individual. Avril Lavigne, well, we get a song about her not giving up her, uh, virginity. Yeah... umm... I hate you, Avril.
The album cover for this one says everything for me: Avril is a dull shade of gray in a vivid technicolor universe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good., July 16 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
When I bought this cd I didn't really know what to expect. Her first cd was really good at first and then after a while it got really boring hearing the same old songs again. But in the end, I am really glad I bought it. Here's what I think about each song. Hope this helps you guys out when trying to decide if you should buy this or not.
1. Take Me Away - This song is okay. I liked it at first, but after a while you start to think about the lyrics and you're just like what in the heck is she talking about??
2. Together - Once again, this one is just okay. The first two songs just aren't that good.
3. Don't Tell Me - I love this song. It honestly will never get old to me. The lyrics are so awesome and so many girls can relate to them.
4. He Wasn't - This song reminds me of one that would be on her first cd. It's more little girlish then the rest of the cd. But it's still a good song and it's fun to rock out to.
5. How Does It Feel - This song makes no sense and it's annoying. It seems like she says the same thing over and over again.
6. My Happy Ending - One of my favorite songs on the cd, this song is great. And so many people can relate to it, because everyone has felt like what they thought was going to be their forever turned out not to be. And that's exactly what this song is aboud and i adore it.
7. Nobody's Home - At first I didn't like this song, but now I love it. The lyrics are very deep and I dunno. I just really enjoy this song.
8. Forgotten - I didn't like this one much either when I first bought the cd, but I warmed up to it after a while and now i love it.
9. Who Knows - My favorite song on the whole cd. It's just wonderful!! When you're down this is the best song to put on and just jump around your room and listen to. The lyrics really put me in a happy place.
10. Fall To Pieces - I love this song. It's a love song with a twist and it's just amamzing.
11. Freak Out - This song is okay. It's not as good as some of the other songs on the cd, but I can listen to it without hitting the next button.
12. Slipped Away - This is for her grandfather who passed away. I lost my grandfather about 6 years ago and hadn't really thought a lot about it recently and then I bought this cd and before i even read that it was for her grandfather it reminded me of him. I instently started crying and this song just blew me away. It's amazing.
I give this cd 3 out of 5 stars. It's better then her first cd, but i think she still has better in her. Hopefully her next cd will have a couple of better songs on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shows growth from previous album, July 15 2004
"tabbster" (Lavalette, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
I bought this right after it came out, because I thought her last cd was pretty good. Granted her lyrics can sound kind of silly sometimes, some of them are really good. The first time I listened to this cd, I didn't really like it, because the only songs that stuck out were the bad ones, "Take Me Away" and "Freak out". I think "Take Me Away" was an awful choice for the opener. So I thought I had wasted my money. Well I waited about a week and then listened to the whole thing again. But this time I heard some songs that caught my attention in a good way. "How Does It Feel" is a good mellow song even though the lyrics sound kinda silly. "Don't Tell Me" and "My Happy Ending" were obvious choices for singles. They are both really good even though they sound a lot alike. The standout songs on this cd come close to the end. "Nobody's Home" is great. I loved how her voice sounded in this during the verses. But "Fall To Pieces" and "Slipped Away" are by far the BEST songs she has done. "Slipped Away" is my favorite. So if at first you don't like this cd, wait awhile and give it a second try. It will definately grow on you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good beat, poor lyrics, July 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
I neither love or hate Avril Lavigne. I thought the songs Complicated, I'm With You and Sk8er Boi from her last album were good but sadly not the rest. So when I heard this album was much better, I decided to give it a listen.
Frankly, I have to say that I was quite dissapointed. I mean the music (guitars, bass, drums and all) sound great. Avril's voice even sounds good but the lyrics are just plain awful. It's not that they don't rhyme, or that they don't have meaning. It's just that they aren't catchy and there's no deeper meaning that goes beyond the usual teen drama. Therefore making it forgettable.
All you have to do is look at the songs that have stood the test of time such as "Master of Puppets", "Can You Feel The Love Tonight", "No More Tears", "Another Day in Paradise" and so forth. Whether or not you like these songs or the artists is another issue, the point is these songs stand the test of time because the music and the lyrics run across the ages. It is something a lot of people can relate to.
Sure, crying about how your boyfriend betrayed you and left you is something anyone can do, in fact Alanis Morissette has already done it a million times. It's nothing new, very dull and gets boring very, very quickly.

Under My Skin
Under My Skin by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2004)