5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Kest - Power Yoga Boxed Set
Published on July 17 2003 by Maureen Ottati

3.0 out of 5 stars The Fabio of yoga....
I have to agree with the others on this DVD as far as the content but the the long hair, tight jeans (while he is teaching!) and the slow various shots of him with his opened shirt is a little much. This is why it lost a few stars. If you can get over the esthetic 'cheese', this DVD is for you.
Published on March 23 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Kest - Power Yoga Boxed Set, July 17 2003
Maureen Ottati (Lake Placid, New York) - See all my reviews
For someone who has been into running and weight training for several years, I decide to give yoga a try after I had my first baby. I thought I would be totally bored and unchallenged, boy was I wrong. Brian Kest's yoga videos, especially volume 2:Tone, has helped me create a lean and sculpted body. Brian Kest does an excellent job explaining the poses and making you feel comfortable at what ever level you are at. He is definitely not what you would picture when you think "yoga instructor",but you certainly can not judge this book by its cover. I love what his tapes have done for my body and mind. He presents the instruction in a well sequenced format and makes you feel as though you are actually in the studio taking his class. I look better now than ever! I recommend this series to only those who have yoga experience and no serious neck or back problems. Great challenging workout!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aerobic and spiritual workout, May 26 2002
By A Customer
I have tried about 5 different yoga workout tapes, and these are by far the very best. The biggest benefit of Kest's is that he gives you time to stay in the poses, and paces it like a master. Rodney Yee's tapes are so stupid by comparison; he races through the poses like a science nerd who has no patience for dopey beginners. Kest, on the other hand, is very patient and persistent. His comments are encouraging and reassuring. He is a real human. While I agree with most of the other reviewers who say that it is not for beginners, it is not necessary to be Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, either. I had worked with Susan Deason's tapes, which were great preparatory workouts for this, for about 3 months. After that I felt I needed something more powerful and fat-burning (hate that word). You can stop worrying about weight loss and all that bunk that the consumerist gurus obsess about. Kest's approach has a spiritual side that makes you stay involved in the workout from a personal growth point of view; this guy has a wonderful system. My body is going through miraculous changes already, after 3 weeks; my waist is thinner, my torso is lengthening, my breathing and sense of well-being have improved by about 100%. Bravo, Bryan Kest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yoga Video Ever, Nov. 1 2006
Courtney A. King (Springboro, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bryan Kest's Power Yoga (DVD)
I've always been a bigger fan of going to classes rather than following a video, but this one takes the cake!

A month of doing this video had me in positions I hadn't seen in years and feeling stronger than ever.

This video is not for the weak, it will really push you hard and is very physically demanding. If you are looking for a slower hatha type yoga, this is not for you. If you want to push your flexibility farther while strengthening your muscles, buy this, and do it! You'll see the difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've tried everything, May 19 2004
New York Gal "anewyorkgal" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this video set. I really really do. I get SUCH a great workout with this set. At first, I could barely make it through the videos and my legs would shake and shake and I would drop out of the poses and couldn't for the life of me hold any of the darned poses. But after a few weeks, I kind of got good at it! And I feel great too.
I love the fact that there are three different workouts but in the same form type and with the same instructor. It makes it so that you can mix it up so you don't get bored and don't work all the same muscles every day.
I have tried SO many yoga videos. I HATE those videos that end up being fake yoga modified for the beginner but trying to fit for the advanced person. Almost all the videos I have tried have been so tempered down that I really don't feel my body is benefitting from it. Not only do I not feel like I get a stretch, but I also don't feel like I am developing muscle!
I have wasted so much money trying to find another yoga video. I don't know why I bother. Probably because psychologically I am always trying something new. But this cookie is THROUGH wasting her money. This and Kundalini Yoga by Gumukh (sp?) are the BEST I have tried.

4.0 out of 5 stars Erotic power yoga 90s style, June 18 2004
This review is from: Bryan Kest's Power Yoga (DVD)
The good point about this tape is the price,that you have 3 practices,and that this is REAL Power Yoga..This stuff hurts..I can almost guarantee if you do these tapes daily you will see results...yesterday the UPS man told me I had nice arms,and I am positive I am now leaner as opposed to that bulky weight lifting nautilus look I had.Ok,Level 1 is for Total Newbies,Level 2 is the HARDEST,and Level 3 although hard is NOT as hard as level 3...My butt is sore everytime I do the tapes....I myself as a former fashion student love the lighting and music,but here is the thing I find made it hard for me to concentrate in the beginning...Bryan Kest is a long haired stud muffin and we see 90s video type shots of his lovely face,him in a leather jacket,and him doing handstands half naked in black tights..Wonderful,but nothing to do with the instruction practice...Also,Mr.Kest is perpetually shirtless during the class,showing off a beautiful body (obviously from yoga) wearing strategically sexy yoga attire, and adjusting a cast of women with 6 pack stomachs and gym god men..I do not think I am being immature for noticing this (I am 39)..but it does give the tape am erotic vibe..Now I have gotten past it,because this is a must have for a collection,at a decent price...I would recommend this tape along with Roddney Yees Power Yoga (make sure you get the 75 minute tape) and also watching Steve Ross on Inhale on The Oxygen channel at 6 am,and in 6 months you WILL see a new body as long as youre also watching your diet and adding cardio .

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite power yoga!, July 11 2004
"scoang2" (NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bryan Kest's Power Yoga (DVD)
This set was the first set of yoga tapes I purchased several years ago, and it is still a favorite, joined by the Power of Hatha Yoga Ultimate Series with Naader Shagagi. I've been doing yoga for some time now and am still even challenged by the first one, so I can interchange all three. The greatest part is that this doesn't feel like the "fad"-type power yoga -- Kest's soothing voice and reminder to only go as far as you can while remaining equanimous keeps the tone down but makes this a powerful, yet smooth-paced workout. Great for both beginners and those more advanced at yoga!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Fabio of yoga...., March 23 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryan Kest, Energize,Tone and Sweat Power Yoga, Nov. 15 2005
Pauline Angel "Paulie Angel" (Los Gatos, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bryan Kest's Power Yoga (DVD)
I can not say enough great things about this DVD collection. If you are at all curious about learning Yoga, this is a great place to start. If you are an experienced yogi or yogini then this is also a great DVD to add to your collection. Bryan Kest not only gives you a great workout, he allows you to accept were you are at. As a power yoga teacher myself, I can olny hope that I can give my students the spiritual guidance and physical challenge that this collection gives. Bravo!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for stretching, not much of a "workout" though., May 20 2002
The stretching and poses are excellent but I thought the words "power yoga" "sweat" and "strength" were rather misleading. If you are already fairly fit, these videos probably aren't going to make you break a sweat or gain strength. The only strength-related pose involved one pushup every few minutes. For beginners, this would be challenging, (the instructor says "don't worry if you can't do a full pushup!") but for people who are already fit it's pretty tame. The poses do provide a great stretch though.
I found the host of this series to be very annoying. He's pretty dorky and new-agey.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wasted my money!, Oct. 5 2002
By A Customer
Not for the person who needs relaxation during their yoga practice. All three programs are basically the same workout, and the yoga student spends most of the workout in downward dog pose.
While Bryan is a good instructor, he spends very little time in meditation at the end of the video, and NEVER stops talking. The is not real yoga.
Caution: If you have back or wrist pain, these workouts are NOT for you. Please be careful.

Bryan Kest's Power Yoga
Bryan Kest's Power Yoga by Randee St. Nicholas (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 12.46 CDN$ 8.54