5.0 out of 5 stars Good show, good music
I wish I could give this show 500 stars to counteract some of the reviews here that seem to think Tour of Duty is nothing more than a soundtrack.
Published on July 18 2004 by D. Sawyers

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed...
How can there be no original sound track in this DVD??? Initially, I wanted to buy this D.V.D very much, as these series has being part of my teenage days. Without the Original Sound track, it makes me feel that something is not there in these Series...
I prefer to own a set of DVD with the Original Sound Track than having some missing feelings for it.
Published on July 18 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., July 18 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good show, good music, July 18 2004
D. Sawyers (Ada, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
This is an incredible show, with outstanding plots and wonderful actors. TOD manages to tell meaningful stories about world-shattering events on a personal level, without resorting to melodrama or overblown special effects. This tv show compares well with the best of the big screen, where characters and plot are often sacrificed for big explosions and fancy camera work.
I watched the entire first season in less than a week. I can't wait for Season 2, with or without the Rolling Stones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better TOD with generic music than no TOD at all., July 18 2004
John the 19th "John P" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
I thank Zev Braun and his top notch advisers for telling our story right, and Sony for offering it to a new generation at risk. Once again, our precious youth are being sent into harm's way by a weak president, based on lies and disinformation.
All you teenagers: buy and watch this before you enlist! And if you still do, God bless you and keep you from harm. HUA?
To Sony: I'll buy season 2, and season 3 no matter what. But yes, I'd also like to see the original music, and I'd buy season 1 again if a version with the original was released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed but glad to see TOD on DVD, July 15 2004
Michael A. Smith (Fredericksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
When I saw the DVD at the store my heart skipped a beat. However, I am one of those purists who was also disappointed with the music or lack thereof. I encourage the producers to include the origional music on the subsequent seasons to insure positive reviews and sales. I was in Vietnam in 1963 and TOD was my show during the 80s when it became cool to be a Vietnam vet. I especially enjoyed the last season when the squad was assigned to SOG. As far as I'm concerned this is our show and we would like to see the music of our era included. This series reflected in some ways the way we felt in country and when we came home. I should point out that the cast would travel to Vietnam reunions and events to make an appearance on behalf of the show. It was very gratifying to see these young actors pay tribute to those of us who were really there. Please do not abandon this series just because you dont like the music and allow the subsequent series to not be released. Funny, isn't that what happened with the war in Vietnam? We were not allowed to continue and win the war because people disagreed. Sounds like history repeating itself. To you who are undecided and stressed about the generic music, be satisfied that the series is on DVD and buy it to insure the future release of the next two seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paint it (with different music), Feb. 23 2006
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
'Tour of Duty' is one of my favourite televisions series. It didn't last very long, but while it did, it presented a fairly realistic depiction of life in a squad of soldiers in Vietnam. Together with the series 'China Beach', it began to open doors to a difficult subject for the American public to deal with -- the American public, after all, got to see the Vietnam war almost live, day by day, year after year, in their homes on the television sets, the first war for that to happen. The controversial nature of the war and 'peace' aftermath made dealing with the subject tricky, but the writing, acting and direction in this series was superb.
The story follows an infantry company 'in-country', Company B, that is made up of a typical mixture of young, green recruits (often draftees) and a few experienced leaders, on their one-year tour of duty in Vietnam; the series began (and this video begins) in 1967, one of the early hot years of the conflict. The base is a typical firecamp, nicknamed Ladybird, with bunkers, sandbags, jungle surroundings, and lots of mud.
Stars of the series include many second-tier Hollywood film and television actors, who are all much better actors than their stature might indicate. Key figures included experienced and battle-hardened Sgt. Zeke Anderson (portrayed by Terence Knox, who has been star or guest star on dozens of television series) and relatively-new officer Lt. Myron Goldman (Stephen Caffrey, soap opera star also noted for some quality film work), as they work together to guide a group of men through the literal and metaphorical minefields of the Vietnam war. Other actors include Eric Bruskotter, Joshua Maurer, Kevin Conroy, Stan Foster, and Tony Becker.
In the pilot to the series, the men have a mission to destroy a hidden NVA base headquarters. It depicts the struggles and stress of jungle combat, and portrays the relationships built under fire by the men who come to depend upon each other for their lives.
The soundtrack takes a similar device from other Vietnam-era shows and films, that of using music contemporary with the conflict. 'Paint It Black' is the opening theme, an ironic and appropriate song and lyric. Beware, however, if you get it on DVD, that this soundtrack has been altered, including the very riveting opening.
This is a superb piece on a troubled time in American history.

1.0 out of 5 stars One unhappy lady!!!, July 16 2004
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
As a die hard TOD fan i am desperate to buy this on DVD, but i just can't do it!!!!!!
How could anything replace the original music, especially those first few beats of the title
'paint it black' that sends shivers down my spine and takes me back to being a teenager when i was allowed to stay up late on a Friday nite to watch it with my dad.....
As people have said before, think i'll stick to my VHS copies!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Missed the Music, but the stories are still GREAT, July 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
At first I missed the music, but by the time we were done watching the complete set, I never knew the music was missing. Instead I just bought me a Rolling Stones CD to listen to.
We were sorry there were none more to be watched. Can't wait for the next set to be released!!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars ...but -5 stars for the music, July 15 2004
J. Hickman "jwh7" (Indy, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
Like a broken record...I can't believe they took away the original music.
I loved this series (I was 11 in 1987) and have been awaiting its DVD release for a long time. I'll never forget CCR's "Have you ever seen the rain" in the Decker episode. This series made me an oldies fan, and now that is gone. At least I still have some episodes I taped off of TV.
I think it should be re-released with a trade-in program. I was kind of expecting the shows to seem cheesy and outdated now 15yrs later, but its just as great now as it was then. Well, everything but the music. I can live with the video quality (this IS 80's TV after all; better than my vhs tapes of the show, though - its all relative) and the graininess of the low-light filming parts, but the music is unacceptable.
Did I mention that I disapprove of the music replacement? Just checking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Music = No Sale, Sorry, July 14 2004
R. D. Stephenson "shadetre" (Athens, Al USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
Tour of Duty without the original music, especially 'Paint It Black'; I don't think so. It just wouldn't be the same. I am sure if I had never seen the originals it would be ok. For me though, even now years later I think first of Tour Of Duty each time I hear that song from the Stones. A series of DVD's costs enough for the producers to get it right if they want my money. I'd love to have Tour Of Duty & China Beach both complete series, but not without the music for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original music would have been nice, but not essential..., July 14 2004
BroInWhyteridge (Winnipeg Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] (DVD)
Although I suppose I shouldn't be, I am continually amazed that people would give 100% negative reviews based on music rights not being negotiated.
Yes, its not entirely the same show without the music. Yes some scenes loose their initial effectiveness (or even don't make sense - see the references to Marvin Gaye playing on the radio when the music has been replaced by muzak). However, I found that after the first few shows, I didn't miss the music anymore - indeed without it, I found myself concentrating more on what was going on, the nuances of the characters and their reactions to each situation, instead of tapping my foot to the music.
I'd go so far as to say ToD might be a better show without the songs, if you watch it as a commentary about the issues surrounding the Vietnam period of US history.
In the first season, the show had the support of the US Armed Forces, and it showed - equipment and for most of the season, the focus was on the war. Later episodes of the season began to focus more on the characters and the effect of being in Vietnam had on them as people. The best example of this is in Short Timer, where Taylor is faced with the realization that Vietnam is where he belongs, and "re-ups" when he could be going home at the end of his tour. The observation is made that this makes him a "lifer".
I loved this show when it was first on CBS. For the longest time, I hoped it would be released on VHS, but then DVD came along and I knew that with the growing popularity of TV on DVD, it was only a matter of time before ToD was released.
The thing is, if sales are low for season one, the other two might not be released.

Main complaints are the music a a few grainy scenes, which by the way, were like that on the original transmission, but the actual show itself is A+ quality.
So, if you are a fan and want seasons 2 and 3 released, but know someone who gave a poor review because of the music, or isn't buying, be sure to thank them if the rest of the show isn't released (see NYPD Blue for what can happen if sales are poor).

ARRAY(0xa906839c)

Tour of Duty  Season 1 [Import]
Tour of Duty Season 1 [Import] by Reynaldo Villalobos (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 30.33 CDN$ 23.80