I bought this with my five year old in mind.

Published on Dec 8 2011 by HfxKD

2.0 out of 5 stars Not useful.
I wanted to love this product but found it to be of inferior quality and did not function well at all. Disappointing but Messermeister makes good products so wouldn't rule out trying others.
Published 4 months ago by Sirena Ceniccola

5.0 out of 5 stars It Slices! It...ok, it just slices. But it does it really well!, Dec 8 2011
HfxKD (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Messermeister 900-230 Stainless Steel Thick-N-Thin Cheese Slicer (Kitchen)
I bought this with my five year old in mind.

No, he's not put to work slicing cheese. But he DOES want those prepackaged garbage packs that all his schoolmates have, with preservative-filled deli meats, processed cheeses, crackers, etc. to take to school. We're not crazy health nuts, but I don't buy that kind of thing, even deli meats are a rarity in our household. He mostly likes healthy food, so I want him to have healthier versions of these things that he'll eat!

I was cutting our real cheddar with a knife, with mixed results. I couldn't cut it thin enough or uniform enough to do what I wanted. This tool is great. I can cut a big block of cheddar in two different thicknesses, it cuts straight and uniform. I'll do a bunch at once and have it handy for snacks, grilled cheese sandwiches, and his lunches.

I either put it in my son's lunch just like that, or I use a cookie cutter and cut it into shapes, put the scraps into the fridge for other things. He gets his shaped cheese with real meat, pita bread or crackers, and voila! At least a somewhat healthier form of those prepackaged garbage packs. :)

This will work really well for a cheese platter to serve to guests, etc. too. I'm really happy with it. I'm hoping the wires won't give out prematurely, I've only had it for a week or so, but so far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cheese slicer, May 15 2013
I love this slicer! The wires used to cut work really well on even very hard cheeses like parmesan, and it's great that you can get both very thin slices and thicker ones. Great for making parmesan cheese "curls" for salads, soups, etc. The only thing that I found could be improved a little is that it takes kind of a two-handed approach to get it to cut straight down right to the bottom of a block of cheese. That is, you have to apply pressure on both sides of the blade holding the slicing wires, and you also have to have the cheese block sitting on a completely flat surface. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use!, Oct. 25 2011
Super easy to use, easy to clean - it's a very precise and functional device! I use to slice both thick and thin slices of cheese. The slices are perfect everytime, which is perfect for display platters.

5.0 out of 5 stars It cuts cheese!, April 28 2012
This is a solidly built product, it cuts cheese, good price, what more can you ask for? Nothing. Get one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, effective, convinient, April 1 2014
Does what it should, is cheap, and hardly takes up any room in the drawer. I've since bought a few for gifts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, March 10 2014
Share Bear (Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This slice was great to use when slicing soft cheese. My only critique would be that it isn't able to make a clean cut. The edge stops the wire just short of the bottom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Messermeister 900-230 Stainless Steel Thick-N-Thin Cheese Slicer, Feb. 23 2014
I had one before and I loved it. My only complaint is that it cost me $10.95 after s&h, so that is a lot for that 1 little item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Slicer. Ever., Sept. 7 2013
Alien Bard - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've had lots of cheese slicers, but this is both the best and the simplest of them all. Even the one with the marble base wasn't as nice simply because it wasn't as portable.

*As a side note: if you really brittle cheese and are having trouble finishing the slice at the bottom of the wedge, try cutting upward instead. Or make a short slice at the bottom and then finish from the top. Or slice the bottom off but leave it as a soft base so you get a clean cut right through. It's that kind of versatility that makes this thing so awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - Love it, Aug. 26 2013
I can't say enough good things about this Messermeister. This is a product that I use continuously because I am a hugh cheese fanatic. Everyone should have one of these in their kitchen. Luckily I have 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect cheese slicer, Aug. 20 2013
This is the best cheese slicer I have ever had the pleasure using . Cuts perfectly , easily and cleans just as easy . Highly recommend this to anyone ! Perfect to slice with and perfect to clean Bravo to Messermeister !