4.0 out of 5 stars "the sound will stay with you forever ~ Motown"
Published on May 11 2004 by J. Lovins

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite a disappointment in my seemingly controversial opinion
I must be listening to a different album to some of the other reviewers here but here goes
Published on Sept. 25 2003 by swoodwa

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite a disappointment in my seemingly controversial opinion, Sept. 25 2003
Am a huge fan of Motown and decided to purchase this purely on the basis of the Funk Brothers involvement. Certainly there is nothing wrong in the instrumental side of the album, but there is in the choice of some of the vocalists and their interpretations of some of the tracks. Joan Osbourne is the exception to the rule and her two tracks are fantastic. Less to be said about Chaka Khan though, as her reading of "What's Going On" is tepid to say the least, never mind her and Montell Jordan trying to do a Tammi and Marvin on "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". It is quite simply awful, and to think of all the excitment and enjoyment the original version creates.For me not even Marvin could do a good live version of "Grapevine" so lord only knows how Ben Harper would. Myself being a HUGE Marvin Gaye fan I focus on these three songs for obvious reasons, but overall it is a very weak package indeed. If you are after a high quality Motown orientated album then the very best is "Marvin is 60" fantasic stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars "the sound will stay with you forever ~ Motown", May 11 2004
J. Lovins "Mr. Jim" (Missouri-USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Standing in the Shadows of Motown: Deluxe Edition (Audio CD)
Hip-O Records presents the long awaited deluxe edition "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", featuring a compilation of fifteen original soundtrack tunes from The funk Brothers ~ plus bonus tracks with John Lee Hooker, Jackie Wilson, Dennis Coffey & The Detroit Guitar Band ~ and that's just the first disc ~ "COOL JERK" (Bootsy Collins), "(LOVE IS LIKE A) HEAT WAVE" (Joan Osborne), "CLOUD NINE" (Meshell Ndegeocello) ~ all in all an original Grammy Award winning album.
Disc two takes us "In The Snakepit: naked instrumental remixes of the original hits ~ "I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE", "FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE", "I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER" ~ twenty four tracks of non-stop Motown memories with dialogue introducing each cue ~ the last track "YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING", featuring The Temptations & James Jamerson is a rare highlight ~ you can't help but fall for this double beautiful collection of what made Motown so great...gotta love it!
Total Time: 2-CD-Set ~ Hip-O Records 66365 ~ (5/11/2004)

4.0 out of 5 stars Of course the new artists are "standing in the shadows", July 18 2004
By A Customer
I will attempt to keep this review short and sweet. This album is a compilation of old Motown hits, with the vocals done by contemporary artists. On the whole, I thought it came off very well. Some of the criticism of this album relates to the "new vocalists". One has to remember you cannot go home again; you cannot step into the same river twice. So, of course, in the ears of the reviewers the new vocalists can't touch the originals. I'm not sure that I disagree on that point. But to put this whole project down because of who was selected to sing the songs seems whiney. The newer artists do a very credible job carrying the burden they are asked to -- being compared to the originals. This is a fun album and should be approached in that context. Consider it a tribute to the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT TREASURE, Dec 15 2003
By A Customer
THIS CD & DVD ARE GREAT TREASURES, WHICH HAVE BEEN BURIED FOR YEARS. ANYONE WHO LOVES THE GREAT R&B MUSIC PRODUCED BY MOTOWN WILL APPRECIATE THIS CD. THE FUNK BROTHERS WERE THE BACKBONE OF THAT GREAT MOTOWN SOUND. ITS GREAT THEY ARE FINALLY RECEIVING THE NOTICE THEY SO RICHLY DESRVE. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more... Should be 10 Stars., Nov. 3 2003
R. Harris (Flatlands) - See all my reviews
I liked the CD so much, I bought the DVD. It is my favorite DVD in my collection. I have lost count of the times I have watched it. I would like to see another CD come out. I have always liked the songs of this era, but never knew until the movie was released that the common thread among my favorite songs was not the lyrics nor the singers... but the musicians. The musicians are tremendous. I only wish I could express how much I love their music. Yes, The Funk Brothers are greater than the Beatles and Elvis. I wish they had received the recognition they deserved earlier in their lifetime. Each time I hear a song, I think "That's Marvin Gaye and the Funk Brothers". For me the Funk Brothers will get the credit each time I listen to their songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll laugh, cry and dance ..., Aug. 29 2003
By A Customer
I'm so sorry I missed this one on the big screen. The story told is wonderful, and you'll gain a new appreciation for the musicians who made Motown what it was. If you can watch this and sit still, you've got a hole in your soul. The old standards come across just as we remember them, but the current artists who perform - Chaka Khan, Gerald Levert, Montell Jordan, the inimitable Bootsy Collins, Ben Harper and Joan Osborne - rock the house just as their predecessors did. MeShell Ndegeocello is the only weak link in the movie; she just does not belong in this company. Yet the movie is done with the joy and the love that the Funk Brothers clearly have for each other, even now, forty years later. The back-story could have been infused with the bitterness that doubtless exists toward Berry Gordy and his exploitive ways, but this is fortunately excluded, making the movie a powerful celebration of the men and their spectacular music that so many of us grew up on. This one is not to be missed. Buy it today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too bad ten stars is not an option!, Aug. 27 2003
Vaughn A. Carney (Vermont USA) - See all my reviews
I've now seen the DVD three times, and I know what I'm giving everyone for Christmas! These guys can STILL cook forty years later, and the power of the music comes through with the vocalists chosen to perform the old Motown hits. By the time the Funk Brothers close the show with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", you'll have goose pimples all over your body and tears in your eyes. Just an awesome experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Any Motown Fan!, Aug. 17 2003
David Saunders "SEO Pop Star" (Plymouth, Devon UK) - See all my reviews
Joan Osbourne gets the main prize for "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" I didn't think anyone could better Jimmy Ruffin.......

4.0 out of 5 stars The groove is still there..., June 14 2003
Frank J. Nova (brooklyn, ny United States) - See all my reviews
The Funk Brothers are, with apologies to Booker T. and the MGs, the greatest backing group of all time. The surviving members show they still live in the pocket.
Joan Osbourne does some of her best work in years, showing she understands Motown music completely.
Gerald Levert also does standout work, and Bootsy Collins is Boot-SAY, rocking with all his soul.
Meshell Ndegeocello is out of place here, though. She does her own interpretations of the music, but Motown is all about the groove. She drops in and out of it.
Ben Harper seems to sleepwalk through his numbers. Compare his "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" with David Ruffin's original soul shouting, and you'll see what I mean. He also drains the sexuality from Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine".
Still, all in all, this is a good one to have in your car on a summer day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a learning experience, May 3 2003
John T. Alexander "cavtrpr" (Waco, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I never thought I'd want to hear anyone other than Jimmy Ruffin sing "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" till I heard Joan Osburn's rendition. I must have listened to it at least 10 times and it still blows me away. "Pistol" Allen's shuffle on "Heatwave" should be required listening for any young drummer and while Tom Scott's solo on "Shotgun" may not exactly be Junior Walker's it's still very credible. I haven't bought a CD in months comparable to this.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown: Deluxe Edition
Standing in the Shadows of Motown: Deluxe Edition by Alan Slutsky (Audio CD - 2004)