4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of the Madness
Published on Jan. 18 2003 by Zagnorch

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs WAY Down for Warner Bros.
Published on Nov. 9 2002 by Joseph D. Scanlon Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of the Madness, Jan. 18 2003
Zagnorch (Terra, Sol System) - See all my reviews
I was kinda miffed when I discovered that South Park™ was being released in full-season DVD box sets elsewhere in the world before it became available state-side. After all, you'd think that the first video release of a movie would occur in the country it was made in, right? I mean, how would the British digital videophile feel if Monty Python™ was available on DVD in the US before being released in the UK, you know? Or a Japanese disc-hound if he discovered the Akira™ Special Edition platter was gonna first hit the street in Toronto instead of Osaka? But, since Warner Brothers™ is a gigantic multinational corporation, and they have the license to distribute South Park™ on video, I guess they can release it anywhere and at any time they danged well feel like it-- which is pretty much what they did of course. Fortunately, I still had the original single-release DVDs to tide me over 'til the new platter's release date rolled around...
... Anyway, let's get away from fomenting an international incident and get down to the skinny. I found this set to have its advantages; for one thing, the picture quality is even sharper than that of the previous series of DVDs that Rhino™ put out! Of course, considering the animation... um, quality of the show itself, it's not like this "improvement" is all that big a deal. But at least the entire box set takes up a tad less space than those bulky single-release platters, which means that much more space on my video shelf for the second season box set! Unfortunately, I detected no real improvement in the sound quality, but at least it didn't get worse...
But there's also a bit of a downside, such as the English-language captions. Curious to see whether or not Kenny™'s muffled words would be clearly depicted in the subtitles, I decided to activate the captions. Unfortunately, the written words depict just the most important pieces of the spoken dialogue, which means you'll be missin' out on some of the verbal bits if you're hard-of-hearing! Of course, considering how rapid-fire the dialogue can be sometimes, I can understand why the captions are clipped back to such a degree. And you might as well forget about trying to sing along with Chef™ or any other South Park™ character-the songs aren't even captioned at all! As for finally figuring out what Kenny™'s actually saying: I ain't gonna tell ya! You'll just hafta find out on your own...
There's also the things that have stayed the same-- the Trey-and-Matt wraparounds from the original Rhino™/Warner™ video releases have been reincorporated into this set. And with the exception of disc three, each platter holds four episodes, just like their digital ancestors of yore did! The third disc includes a fifth eppie, the infamous 'Cartman™'s Mom is a Dirty Slut', which would segue into what I thought was one of the funniest April Fools gags of all time! Yes, I'm one of those South Park™ fans who can take a joke; deal with it!
Finally, there's the bonus bits, including Jay Leno™'s visit to Mr. Garrison™'s third-grade class at South Park™ Elementary, where our four lovable tykes waylay him with several somewhat predictable gags about his gargantuan jawline. This segment had a couple good zingers, but nothing too hard-hitting. The boys' CableAce™ presentation segment was kinda weak, but at least it was reasonably brief. Rounding off the Additional Bonus Features: a bit o' Yuletide cheer as Cartman™ tries to sing 'O Holy Night' whilst being cattle-prodded by Kyle™, and Ned Gerblansky™ whips out his voice-box to croon a very dull, monotone rendition of 'O Little Town of Bethlehem'. I didn't find either of these particular 'special treats' particularly entertaining-- as a matter of fact, I was so bored with them, I switched 'em off before they'd even finished their tunes! I've never much cared for Christmas songs, anyway...
Whoops, almost forgot the obligatory gripe I always put in my reviews of Warner™ DVDs:
When is the WB™'s DVD packaging department gonna get outta the digital video stone age, and start putting their platters in plastic cases, rather than these chintzy cardboard dealies that'll just start fallin' apart after several months of use, huh?! I dunno 'bout anyone else, but I am more than willing to lay down a bit more scratch for a PLASTIC case and slipcover that will withstand the test of time a lot better than some fortified paper product! And don't tell me it can't be done with a 3-DVD box set, 'cuz I'll shove my Back to the Future™ Trilogy set (in Widescreen, and don't you forget it!!!) in your face and tell you how much of a two-faced lying fiend you are!!! WHY DO YOU PEOPLE DO THIS TO ME?! AAAARGHH!!!
... All right, all right- I'm calmin' down... countin' to ten... okay, I'm better... I'm better. No, really, I'm A-oh-kay now. I just needed some chill-time, that's all...
'Late
POST SCRIPT- About the rumors regarding commentary tracks for this set: they do indeed exist, but they're all on a separate CD box set that's available exclusively through a particular source (unfortunately, Amazon™ isn't this exclusive source). As I understand it, Parker and Stone wanted to add the commentary to the discs, but for some reason Warner Bros.™ was a bit squeamish about all of the adult language that was contained on the tracks, and balked at putting it directly onto the DVDs. Yes, I know-- it's an unfair world, and you're just gonna have to live with that fact...
'Late (for real this time!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs WAY Down for Warner Bros., Nov. 9 2002
Joseph D. Scanlon Jr. "The Butcher" (saint louis, missouri United States) - See all my reviews
My review of one star in no way reflects the quality of these great south park episodes. This is a review to reflect the dissapointment in warner brothers i have for not including the commentaries on these dvd's. This is an adult show, and from what i hear, trey and matt made adult commentaries. what am i supposed to do with the cd's? Press play on my dvd and cd player at the same time and hope that they are in unison. hey warner brothers! there is a reason south park is aired at 10p.m. eastern. You know why that is? BECAUSE IT'S NOT FOR KIDS

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, Dec 9 2002
By A Customer
I excitedly preordered this DVD set because like everyone, I know that the T&M commentaries would be as funny as the episodes themselves (See Cannibal: The Musical). This DVD set supposedly had a lot of extras that made buying it worthwhile, but I found out just after my DVD was shipped that they had pulled everything from the DVD, including the introductions that you can get on the original individual DVDs. What's with that?? Don't buy it! And be careful about preordering!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, weak DVD collection, April 16 2003
x_bruce (Oak Park, ILLINOIS United States) - See all my reviews
If you enjoy South Park, caught on to it late or saw the film and wondered if there were some references then South Park - The Complete First Season will be a satisfying purchase and is the best value in terms of getting the first season.
There are several build-ups that get fuller and nastier treatment in the Bigger, Longer, Uncut film which makes this funny collection of season one worth having.
There is a big down side however. As others have noted there are pops in the audio which most certainly is a post production error that the lamest audio engineer could have fixed. Disc 3 seems to be clear of the problems if that makes your purchase decision any easier.
Warner Brothers put almost nothing into the quality of the actual content and most of it's money on a 3 DVD set with cardboard case. It is cynical and typical of how a mega-corp slaps material together and says NEW! NEW!
There isn't anything new other than popping audio. The set could have been two discs with room to spare. The extras are fun but far from essential.
There are too many highlights to discuss in a brief review. I didn't see most of this season, a couple of episodes were on reruns but for the most part much of this set was new to me and features the early development of characters. South Park continues to defile sacred cows and is perhaps a bit more developed as the series progresses but this is the beginning and for a first season the quality is remarkably consistant.
Buy it if you want to watch these episodes over and over but realize that Warner Brothers did a poor quality audio transfer and almost nothing in addition to this fine series.
If you are easily offended pass on South Park in general. If Jesus on cable access offends you, you won't be happy with much of South Park. If you dig talking pooh, creative cursing, have any memory of being a little kid - especially males then you'll have a lot of laughs from this set. But the botched quality needs mentioning as it seems almost wrong to reward Warner Brothers for the cynical disrespect they show towards the people that purchase their wares.
Series: 5 stars
Quality: 1 star
Chance of yet another collection where they get it right: 3

4.0 out of 5 stars South park ;the begening, Aug. 30 2006
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: South Park: The Complete First Season (DVD)
The foundation of south park is probably the weakest season but it had to start somewhere and they were of to a good start.The first season basicly introduced us to south park and the hit it would become.

With episodes like `cartman gets an anal probe` and `mecha-streisand`the first season is great,even if it would get a lot better the next few seasons but is still great to watch.It also is an awesome place to start for new south park fan.

I consider these episodes classic and i dont think that people shoul say`this show is rude,offensing,or whatever`because thats exactly why south park is fun to watch.It actually took animated cartoon to a level not reach before,sure the simpsons are funny but south park goes to the extreme.I dare anyone to say this show is for kids,and also we are well aware that its entertaiment.

Anyway this show is awesome and HILARIOUS.Kenny dies for the first times here.Here a list of the episodes included on south park season 1;

101-Cartman gets an anal probe

108-Damien

111-Tom`s rhinoplasty

112-Meicha-streisand

113-Cartman`s mom is a dirty slut

The first episodes are great as they deal with;stan`s evil twin,barbara streisand,mr.hankey,aliens,and more the first season is a great purchase you can now find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cartoons Gone Wild, July 15 2004
B-R-Mike M. (Old Lyme, CT USA) - See all my reviews
South Park is one of the funniest, crudest and most controversial shows in television history. Comedy Central's biggest hit to date has finally come to DVD so fans can enjoy the episodes again and again. The DVDs are better than the short lived VHS copies of the episodes that were popular for merchandise for the show and they contains tons of extras and unaired material from the shows history.
The first season of the show brought us such memorable moments as Cartman getting anal probed, the kids hunting while a volcano is about to erupt, and Kenny turning into a zombie. You can witness the filth and hilarity of Cartman, Stan, Kenny, and Kyle as they overcome the problems of their little mountain town and learn life lessons along the way in each hilarious episode.
The DVD contains extras like the documentary Going Down to South Park and their appearence on the Jay Leno show. The extras add to the entertainment of the episodes and gives a more indepth look at the show. The funniest is Cartman's "touching" rendition of O Holy Night.
Though the DVD lacks the lost episodes "Jesus vs Santa" and the more rare "Jesus vs Frosty" from the mix, this is a perfect gift for the South Park fan in your life. A hilarious DVD, this shows why South Park is one of the best shows ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of comedic brilliance, Feb. 6 2004
N. Durham "Big Evil" (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
The first season of the highly controversial and crudely animated South Park made TV history as it pushed the limits of vulgarity on cable TV when it premiered on Comedy Central back in 1997. Not afraid to offend and full of disgusting gags and rampant profanity, there is a gleaming social commentary to it all that is hidden behind all the laughs. All 13 episodes from the first season are here as we are introduced to level headed Stan, the lone jewish boy Kyle, overweight Cartman, and ill-fated Kenny; four foul mouthed eight year olds living in the town of South Park, Colorado whose adventures range from encountering anal probing aliens (in the hilarious series premiere), to an assassination attempt on Kathie Lee Gifford, to outdueling the Grim reaper, encountering the infamous Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo, and Cartman trying to find out who is father is. Isaac Hayes is also featured as the womanizing but wise Chef, while guest voices include George Clooney, and The Cure's Robert Smith. All in all, South Park is still one of the most unadulturated and unflinching comedies around today, and if you missed out on it when it premiered, now has never been a better time to give South Park a visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence!, Jan. 3 2004
R. Chambers (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
They made a smart move by releasing this on DVD because south park is a classic! As for those who don't think so, WHO CARES!? Paramount and WB are making tons of money off people like me and I DONT CARE because it's well worth it! This is vulgar, disgusting, sickening, stupid humor, but guess what? I wouldn't have it any other way because this is SOUTH PARK and it's supposed to be dumb and vulgar! And for the brilliant mom who acted surprised when she showed this to her children...the opening of every episode warns you that it's intended for adults. There is a "TV MA" at the top of the screen telling you that it's for ADULTS. And if you missed these, perhaps the titles might lead you to believe they're for adults. "Cartman gets an anal probe" "An elephant makes love to a pig" and "Cartman's mom is a dirty slut"...If you aren't smart enough to realize that these points toward ADULT HUMOR then you deserved exactly what you got: A waste of money and an earful of uncomfortable questions from your kids!! I apologize to others for sounding off on here, but if this person wasn't so afraid to post her e-mail address, I'd have e-mailed her with my opinions..but what can you do?
And to Comedy Central and WB/Paramount......keep em coming!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this, ignore Johnny, Dec 18 2003
Matt Berman (Larchmont, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Hey. First off, South Park is one of the most thought provoking, hiliarious, well thought out shows of our time. This season does not have a dull moment, and I would recomend it to anyone. Second, I see many others have done this already, but I have to say something to Johnny. Johnny, you seem like the kind of person who would rather just beilive whatever you are fed then go out and process your own ideas. South Park sends a great message, that message (amoung other things) is to think. South Park is not only hillarious, but it provides a diferent look on many events that are occuring in the world right now. If you, Johnny, can not seem to grasp that concept then please do not post reveiws. As you said, you have NEVER seen the show. I take it your just one of those self richous guys who just thinks that their opinon is the word of God. And on that note, cuss words? Come on, as comedian George Carlin once said, "there are no bad words, just bad intentions." I appologize to anyone that just wants to find out about the content of the DVD, but I just thought this had to be said. So in conclusion, Johnny is oblivious and self richous and South Park Season One is beyond amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jonathan Taylor Sucks, Dec 2 2003
By A Customer
I love South Park, I believe that it is the greatest show ever aside of The Simpsons. They have The third season coming out just in time for Christmas, which I am going to get. I don't care that they don't have that many special features, I just want to own all the seasons and I am happy. That really pisses me off when someone would choose Dragon Ball Z over South Park. Their was this other review, an angered parent trashing South Park because it's bad for children. All of the people who give South Park a bad review and would rather watch Dragon Ball Z. They beep the cuss words out. Try going to see the South Park movie. I love that movie even though there's cussing all through out. I just hate reviews who don't what they are talking about. That angered mother said that she is going to protest to get South Park off the air and she thinks we should do the same. She needs to stop and think all the pissed off people in the world if they South Park. To hell with her and to hell with Jonathan, that kid needs help. South Park and The Simpsons kick ass.

South Park: The Complete First Season
South Park: The Complete First Season by Trey Parker (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 14.97