5.0 out of 5 stars grand kids
even my grandkids loved this movie. we would sit around watching it together. how we loved the frog brothers! the kids are in their thirties now, but still love the movie. that's why I replaced my old vhs with the dvd. the vampires were all so cute. sharon
Published 10 months ago by blackrock woman

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb Vampire Movie of it's Time
A superb vampire flick. The story line was perfect for a modern (80's), and hopefully now, vampire movie. I like the roles the actors were subjected to and performed them well. Maybe we will see Jamie Gertz in Lost Boys 2 as well ( I see vampires-I see cows!)The news is that Lost Boys 2 is in production now and you can see for yourself. Soundtrack is even perfect.
Published on Oct. 12 2006 by A. Chaney

4.0 out of 5 stars The Frog Brothers at their best..., Jan. 14 2014
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Forget Lost Boys 2 and 3, this one is the very best. Very 80s in its themes, its narration and just about everything else, it nonetheless features a nice soundtrack, capable directing and great performances. This movie has just about everything one can wish from vampires (except they don't effing glow in the day).

As far as special features are concerned, all that was made for the 2-disc DVD was ported over (if memory serves at least), and so the many featurettes, interviews, commentary and everything else make for a very nice time, a very informative one at that.. for a time, Schumacher thought the (very) disappointing sequel would have been called Lost Girls... and if you ask me, it would have been that much better.

For now, this movie's, of course, the best in the series, so forget the other ones and concentrate on this little 80s classic instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars grand kids, May 27 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Movie to Watch and Rewatch - Get the BluRay Instead, June 14 2009
From the Musician's Pen (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Made in the 80's but has stood up very well over time. It's a vampire flick that's not scary, but it's fun and extremely well paced and keeps you watching. I've watched it a number of times and it's just as fun each time. Everyone is well cast and the pop/rock soundtrack really fits. Not a must have movie, but worth buying at a bargain price. Glad I got it.

UPDATE 2012 --- just picked up the BluRay (for less than $10) and compared it to my older DVD. The BluRay is definitely better and also has a lot of bonus features. I'd highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Being a vampire is cool, Nov. 8 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lost Boys (2-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
The Lost Boys practically defines 80s teens movies as a horror movie with a gtreat teen cast. Two Brothers, Sam (Haim) and Mike (Patric) move with their newly divorced mom (Wiest) from Phoenix to Santa Carla, a place where, if the corpses were to all stand up at once, there'd be one hell of a population problem, as their goofy backwoods grandfather (Bernard Hughes) explains.

Mike is the first to find out why when his interest in a girl suddenly lures him into a world of trouble with a clan of teen vampires lead by a guy named David (Sutherland). And as Sam's brother turns into a "goddamned bloodsucking vampire," Sam has to call on the strange Frog brothers (Feldman and Newlander) for help, despite his disbelief of their previous warnings that Santa Carla has a major vampire problem, and to their suspicion, possibly werewolves and ghouls as well. They have to find out who the head vampire is before Mike, Star (Jami Garr), and Laddie (Corbitt) become full vampires. This is one fantastic movie as teenagers try to save the day from the cave-dwelling bloodsuckers. Even their enemies--David (Sutherland), Marco (Winter), Paul (Wirth), and Dwayne (McCarter) are cool, even though they are vampires out to kill Sam and Mike and everyone else.

The cast was great in this movie, even Bernard Hughes as Sam and Mike's grandfather because he is just so completely goofy. Edward Herrman and Diane Wiest are likewise funny as their dates are usually spoiled by the intervention by Sam and his vampire hunting endeavors. But, the reason why this is probably the great 80s movie that it is aside from the story, is the hot teen cast, particularly the gorgeous Jason Patric and even Kiefer Sutherland in a part very contrasting to the wierd roles he seemed to be accustomed to in those days. Jami Garr, too, was fantastic as Star, breaking out of previous typecasting as a geek like Muffy Tepperman on "Square Pegs" or for her brief role in Mischief.

Unfortunately, for those who are Corey Haim and Feldman days, this film (and possibly License to Drive and Dream a Little Dream) mark the last good movies that either will appear in as they eventually went on a junkie fest in the later 80s. This is one the greatest films that you'll see either Corey in. As for other qualities of the movie, you do get a real feel for 80s culture, particularly in the opening sequence along Santa Carla's pier. The soundtrack is pretty good, too, with a collection of songs by INXS, Echo and the Bunnymen, and Tim Capello (who used performed with Tina Turner in the Mad Max music videos "We Don't Need Another Hero" and "One of the Living"). Got to love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb Vampire Movie of it's Time, Oct. 12 2006
A. Chaney "Hammer Wolf" (Lincoln,NE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Boys (2-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Boys! My favorite, May 28 2004
Mandee (somewhere over here.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Boys, the (VHS Tape)
This is the movie that started it all for me. Vampires into rock n roll, and the lead actor looking like Jim Morrison who can ask for anything more. I loved how the culture of the 80's was brought out in this classic horror film. The Big Hair, the tight pants, the rock n roll, and vampires all in one, who could ask for more. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who wants a scare.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bloodsucking Fun and Big Hair, May 27 2004
Sophie Earp-Fulton "geek extraordinaire" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
I don't think I was old enough to remember this film hitting cinemas, but I discovered it before I got too cynical and still have a deep affection for it. It combines horror, forbidden romance, comedy, and touches on issues of peer pressure, loss, divorce and the importance of sticking by your family (even if your brother is a vampire).
A mother (Dianne Wiest) and her two sons (Corey Haim and Jason Patric) move from Arizona to sunny Santa Carla and in with their formulaic "crazy granpa" (you know the type I'm talking about) as a result of divorce. The eldest son Michael (Patric) quickly falls in with the Wrong Crowd by accidentally moving in on Head Honcho's girl (the lovely Jami Gertz). Things take a turn for the worse when Michael discovers these aren't your average bike punks, but a gang of wild vampires. Indeed. It's all up to bratty little bro Sam (Haim) and his new allies the Frog Brothers to save the day, and stop his mother from getting too cosy with a new guy who doesn't just run an appliance store (a nice performance from Edward Herrmann who seems to pop up everywhere).
Kiefer Sutherland is a treat as David, leader of the biker vamps, I still marvel at how he can make a peroxide mullet look cool. He plays this role as a sort of seductive bully very well.
Corey Feldman (because 1 Corey is never enough) also puts in a nice turn as Edgar Frog, plus you'll spot Alexander Winter of Bill & Ted's fame as one of the gang.
It's better than any recent vampire movie, has a great 80's soundtrack (Cry Little Sister, you know you love it) and a greasy saxophone man in purple pants. It's fun, there are a couple of scares and a nice hint of splatter (the Surf Nazi attack is like something out of Peter Jackson's Bad Taste). I give the bare-bones DVD package 3, but the movie 4. And fear not, there will be a special edition very soon with retrospectives, making of and tons more stuff, keep eyes peeled!

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but very over-rated, May 23 2004
Fabiola (Puerto Rico) - See all my reviews
I'm so sick of people naming this as "the coolest vampire movie of all time". Please, this is teeny bopper horror at it's best. While there is ample gore, and a great performance by Kiefer Sutherland, the movie still wasn't enough to keep me throughly interested. I found myself laughing for most of the time, especially by two things: The intentional comic reliefs, aka grampa and the Corey's. Grampa is a riot, but the Corey's are such bad actors that you laugh at them every time they open their mouth ("my own brother, a bloodsucker!"). Another thing is the many homoerotic undertones. Check out that Rob Lowe poster on Corey Haim's closet. That silly Joel Schuemaker!
Oh well. It's entertaining, but not something I'd care to watch often.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi with FANGS...., May 17 2004
MR Ellinas "Nicholas Ellinas" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This film is so eighties, that you could watch this 100 years from now (thats if youre still alive) and say that was sooooo 80s. Apart from the crazy hairstyles, most of us can identify the cast as 80s has beens, (sounds harsh but true) most of whom never had any success in the 90s, but were gods to me when I was a teen, very much like deCaprio is to todays youth. The Lost Boys was my favourite film as a kid and I remember being fascinated by the coolness of the cast. You never really saw vampires portrayed like this before, cool, tight leather clad teenagers who chilled out to jim morrison, and then went out on the vamp-rage. I have to say that I have been a fan of corey feldman, when i first saw him in 'stand by me,' and have always found him as a very funny actor who unfortunately hasnt returned to our cinema screens for a very long time. Check him out in 'The Burbs,' with Tom Hanks. Anyway as for the DVD it has nothing going for it, except a trailer, hence the score I gave, but I read there is a special edition coming out towards the end of 2004.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, May 14 2004
Great lines, some of he best acting of the decade and just one hell of a movie.

ARRAY(0xb3e19768)

The Lost Boys (2-Disc Special Edition)
The Lost Boys (2-Disc Special Edition) by Joel Schumacher (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 20.98