5.0 out of 5 stars G.I. Joe at its finest

Published on June 27 2004 by Jason Dodge

5.0 out of 5 stars G.I. Joe at its finest, July 2 2004
Garrett Aja (North Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2 (DVD)
If the 55-episode first season of G.I. Joe is the show's best, then this collection is quite frankly the crown jewels. Among the episodes included in this box set are "There's No Place Like Springfield" (the series best episode), "Worlds Without End" (the alternately shocking and hilarious "What If...?" two-parter), "The Wrong Stuff" (a still-timely parody of TV and the, er, minds, behind it), and "Cold Slither" (the hilarious fan-favorite featuring the Dreadnoks as the rock band Cold Slither).
While the animation is sometimes lacking by today's standards, it was nothing short of a revolution in 1985, as was the writing, which is still some of the best in the history of televised animation in the US. The voice acting is also top-notch, which comes as no surprise given a cast that includes such legends as Michael Bell, B.J. Ward, Neil Ross, John Stephenson, Frank Welker, and the late Chris Latta.
The episodes on this disc are again remastered excellently, although "Hearts and Cannons" seems to have video from a cleaned up broadcast master, as opposed to the 35mm source film. Also, a long-standing edit in "There's No Place Like Springfield" Part II has been retained, as has been the case for all airings except the very first. The one special feature is an interview with Bill Ratner and Mary McDonald-Lewis, the voices of Flint and Lady Jaye, which is great fun to watch.
Despite the upheld edit (wherein Shipwreck's "daughter" points a bazooka at the Joe and calls him a "drip" before being knocked down by Polly), which will hopefully be corrected by Rhino, this set is another dream come true for G.I. Joe fans, cartoon fans, and especially Flint and Lady Jaye fans (which isn't to say that the episodes themselves don't provide some goodness for long-suffering Duke and Scarlett fans, mind you). Strongly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still worth getting for hardcore and casual fans of series, June 27 2004
Jason Dodge (Milaca, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2 (DVD)
GI Joe is one of the more popular USA cartoons from the 1980s, and was animated by the same Korean animation studio that brought us Transformers and many other shows from the decade. I will not lie -- the animation is rather rough and the voice acting doesn't go to far beyond any other 80s cartoon. This is not Japanese animation, and you won't find very complex or though-provoking plots.
But this is about nostalgia -- fans of the show while it was sill on in syndication will simply love this second collection on the first season. This "limited appeal" makes this DVD only 4-stars, while the absence of virtually no extras knocks it down to only 3-stars. Don't get me wrong, I loved the show as a kid, but it still contains the production values of your average TV series during the 1980s -- and it clearly shows.
Fans should still buy it for the old memories it conjours up, just don't expect a production company that took too much time putting this package together. It's rather subpar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to the Days of Yesteryear, June 29 2004
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2 (DVD)
As others have noticed, this is typical of Saturday morning cartoon fare, with limited voice and production values.
But, for the children of the 80's, this is a wonderful flashback to the days of yor.
Episode list:
Cold Slither,
The Great Alaskan Land Rush,
Skeletons In The Closet,
There's No Place Like Springfield Part 1,
There's No Place Like Springfield Part 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars yyyooooooooo joe!, June 28 2004
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2 (DVD)
Now i know this comes out on the 29th but after seeing and buying season 1 part 1 Im am waiting patiently to get this peice of 80s history.Now for anyone who grew up watching this as a kid like I did or want to introduce one of the best cartoons ever made to a younger generation that was unfortunate enough not to grow up watching the amazing battles between G I JOE and COBRA is in for a treat.Also I highly recomend you picking up one of the other great cartoons of the 80s, the Transformers season 1 - 4.All of the mentioned above are timeless classics and a sure buy for any collection young or old alike.I hope reading this has made you choose the right choice ny ordering this bad boy and season 1 part 1.Now only if Rhino video would pump this babies out a little faster than 4 or 5 months apart.5 ***** rating

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING THE HOLY GRAILS, July 19 2004
damian campbell (THE TERRORDROME SNAKE ISLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2 (DVD)
I AM A HARDCORE GI JOE FAN I HAVE NOW ALL OF SEASON 1 on DVD AND COULDN"T BE HAPPIER i had a great idea to stay up from 6am till 6aM WATCHING THE WHOLE FIRST SEASON AND I DID AND I LOVED IT KEEP IT UP RHINO YOUR DOING GREAT CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON 2 PART 1 AMD OH YEA YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! JOE

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!, May 23 2004
Paul Schifferli (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2 (DVD)
I'm glad to see they are moving production along on this. Now all I have to do is wait for Season 2 to come out. Hopefully it won't take too long. Anyway, this is a great item for any fan of G.I. Joe or fan of 80's paraphenallia. There's so much that can be said about this show, and so limited a reviewing space, so I'll simply sum up that this is one of the best shows ever made. EVER.

G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2
G.I. Joe:S1 Pt2 by DVD (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 109.99 CDN$ 103.30