5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Old School Scorps!!!!
Wow this is Old School for sure. You want some 80's Scorpions you've got it in Unbreakable!!!!

Published on Jan. 29 2007 by FreeFall

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best
Well, well. This album is good, but not that good. Actually, only one song that really rocks it's a "New Generation". Rest of it just OK. I've been waiting for something little bit better. I have all of Scorps albums, and, in my opinion, nothing can beat the "Blackout", "Wind of Change", "Pure Instinct" etc. Well, for real Scorpions...
Published on July 4 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Old School Scorps!!!!, Jan. 29 2007
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)

This album is a guaranteed screamer. If you loved Love at first Sting, you will enjoy this. So many 80's bands attempt to put out an album in the 2000's and it's not worth pennies. Only a rare few have come out on top in my opinion such as Ratt in '99 and now this.

Top Songs!!!

1. Through my Eyes - How did this not reach top of the charts along with bands in the 2000's like Nickelback, Our Lady Peace Etc., This song is the best!!!!the best!!!!I can't stop listening to it, Reminds me of Make it Real from early day Scorps!!!! aWESOME!!!!!

2. Can you Feel it - Old School guitar Rock..Yes remember Rock!!!You'll be banging your head like Grade 9 Highschool in the 80's!!!!I WANT YOU TO FEEL IT!!!

3. This Time, Deep & Dark, Blood to Hot!!! All great rockers. What surprises me the most about this album after their last complete disaster is all the tunes are great!!!!

Rated - Absolute Giggidy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Scorpions are BACK!!! EXCELLENT release!!!, July 16 2004
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
I am 43 years young, and have been following the band since their Uli Roth days in the mid 70's. The Scorps helped to define 'the soundtrack of my life', being one of my most beloved hard rock bands ever, and in my opinion, one of the first to help define and pave the way for the genre as a whole. That said, I didn't think their latest stuff was nearly as good as their older style before and including 'Crazy World'. 'Pure Instinct' had some good moments, but not as many as previous efforts. And 'Eye To Eye' was quite a departure. Like many other fans, I longed for the clockwork sonic structured chordfest and leadfest that used to be the Scorpions. I am ecstatic to report that 'Unbreakable' is a return to their older roots, but still retaining a modern, fresh approach to the music. The 'edge' they once had is back bigtime! Klaus Meine's voice is AMAZING on this CD, and he sounds like he did in his much younger days. Absolutely top-form! Rudi Schenker is as talented as ever, coming up with titanic rhythm riffs that show his prowess as a seasoned songwriter, with Matthias Jabs doing much the same and of course adding his masterful, 'biting' leads to the mix. And as much as I loved and respected Herman Rarebell and Francis Bucholz in days gone by, I hate to say that releases like this one don't make me miss them one bit, as James Kottak and Pawel Maciwoda can 'kick it' in style. This CD has it all. Slower, power ballads and straightforward trademark Scorps rockers!!! No fillers here. LONG LIVE THE SCORPIONS!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Effort, July 15 2004
Benjamin P. Brown (Everett, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
For so many years this band was my favorite band in the world. The last nearly perfect album they made however was Savage Amusement way back in 1988. Subsequent albums had good moments yet overall they dwelled in mediocrity from 1991's Crazy World, 1993's Face The Heat onward, with the exception being the terrific Acoustica released in 2002. The Scorps hit the bottom with the release of the tepid Eye To Eye about four years ago, and it seemed as though they might never release another studio album with new songs.
Unbreakable is a good record. I count 7 very strong songs that could be released as singles. The additional 6 songs are decent but not outstanding. There is no doubt that Klaus Meine still has one of the best and most distinctive voices in the world. Rudolph Schenker is a genius at creating catchy riffs and writing powerful heavy pop songs. The production and mix is very strong for the most part with a huge bassline pumping under everything. However, it seems that after establishing guitar God status with his inventive playing back in 1982 on Blackout, and solidifying that status on 1984's Love At first Sting and Savage Amusement in 1988, Mattias Jabs has all but disappeared. We know he is physically there, but his soloing on virtually everything since 1988 is generic and buried in the mix. Why is that? Where have you gone Mattias?
On to the songs: I find Love 'Em Or Leave 'Em to have elements of parts from Taken By Force from 1978 incorporated into the song. The song is extremely catchy and could be a hit; Deep And Dark is perhaps the best song on the album and is another potential huge hit; Maybe I Maybe You is very stong,starting out mellow and features Klaus before building to a cresendo; Someday Is Now could be another hit and reminded me of Slade's Run Runaway from 1983 with the layers of acoustic guitars under the entire song; Through My Eyes sounds like something from the In Trance/Virgin Killer days back in 1976 and 1977, and it is fabulous; And finally Remember The Good Times is a catchy bonus song that has some clever lyrics and feel good athmosphere.
I rate the CD four stars out of five which is a bit high, but I do so because how many bands these days put out albums with 7 of the 13 tunes being very strong? Not too many. Not to mention how many bands who have been recording as long as the Scorpions have (32 years) still put out high quality material? Not many if any. This is a good album by a band who can pull this stuff off in their sleep. They are legends. This is quality work. I can't wait to see them live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, July 13 2004
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
The Scorps are back with a real good, rockin' album. No, they will never make another Black Out or Love At First Sting, but this album is as good as we could expect, especially from a band that is trying to appeal to such a global market. I think that if they were trying to please only the USA fans, some of the songs would have been different. Like the Stones, The Who, etc, the band's best days are behind them; BUT, this new album is closer to what we love about the Scorpions than anything we've heard from them in 14 years.
The album's opening track, "New Generation", leaves no room for doubt that the Scorps can still rock. Immediately, we hear the symbiotic guitar work of Rudolf Schenker's heavy riffing with Matthias Jabs' six-string-sting lead, in what will be a new Scorpions classic. This sets the tone for the rest of the album. Here's my take on the rest of the songs:
"Love 'Em of Leave 'Em - straight ahead rocker, cool riffs, I bet it'll come off live real good.
"Deep And Dark" - one of the best songs on the album, heavy guitars, killer riffs, great chorus
"Borderline" - mid tempo rocker, good verse sections, really generic chorus, overall not bad
"Blood Too Hot" - Fast rocker, sounds like it was written to play live, still a little generic
"Maybe I, Maybe You" - starts off slow and sappy (with some random guy playing piano) but builds into an amazing triple meter ( a la Hendrix's "Manic Depression") rocking tune! They should have started this song differently but it ends up being another one of the best tracks.
"Someday Is Now" - Good fast rocker, another one that'll be good live
"My City, My Town" - Scorps give props to their hometown, mid tempo rocker
"Through My Eyes" - here's the song we've been waiting 14 years to hear, classic Scorpions chord progression and melody, vintage Klaus Meine harmonies, a little like "No One Like You", the best song on the album IMO
"Can You Feel It" - rock anthem style tune, very generic chorus but totally killer verse sections
"This Time" - mid tempo rocker written by Matthias Jabs, the 2nd best tune on the album IMO, very cool!
"She Said" - one more ballad, good melody and all but enough already!
"Remember the Good Times" - 60's style song structure (but heavy sound), sounds like they wrote in 5 minutes but it's still a fun song
Overall, the album is very good, with all the musicians really executing well. The sound is classic yet modern. The production is very good and the mixing is clear. My only real complaint is that Matthias' solos are mixed too low (listen to Blackout to hear proper lead guitar mixing). Scorpions fans will not be disappointed. The album is a refreshing departure from the Scorpions' musical direction of the past several years, and very refreshing "alternative" to the dull thud of most of the current "rock" bands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Stinging After All, July 6 2004
James Walsh (Mesa, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
I have to admit I was hesitant buying this record. I don't want another CD jewel case to collect dust by another once great rock band that has overstayed their welcome. In other words, I don't want a record full of ripped off blues material originally performed 60 years ago because they sold their soul for one last run by dancing with a boy band and have no creativity left or because the band's front man is shot vocally and can't do rock anymore. What I do want is an album by a band that not only once was great but are still great. The Scorpions are that band.
I've read bands from different periods of music history say their new record was "back to what the fans wanted: A classic sounding record" but not delivered once the record was heard. The Scorpions promised this to their fans and truly have delivered. Klaus Meine sounds incredible as does the whole band throughout the record. Opening with a great rock track that takes me back to times where the rock was hard and all was right with the world and filling all tracks in between with more rip roaring metal loveliness, I am truly pleased I picked up this record. It truly is good to hear a band that is a real rock band releasing an album that is a real rock album. There is no attempt to be "cool" and follow the current trends and fads. How about rewarding these guys and playing it on the radio? No, that's reserved to the depressed and those who aren't entirely sure what race they are a member of.
I'm known for my anal retentive reviews that go track by track but what can I really say about a record like this? Every song rocks! Some have stronger hooks than others and not every song is one I will play over and over again but there are a lot of tracks like that. Honestly, if you consider yourself a Scorpions fan or ever have, pick this one up. You'll be happy to hear they have not gone south on metal avenue just yet. Well over 30 years after their debut, the Scorpions are still standing and still rocking harder than anyone. These guys were rocking before I was born and with this record, I'm convinced they'll be rocking after I'm gone. The Scorpions truly are Unbreakable!

4.0 out of 5 stars What?, July 2 2004
L. Armitage (Michigan) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
I don't usually review anything at all on Amazon, but the other guy's ill-founded commentary on this album has sparked me into it. It sounds as if 'a music fan from NH' wasn't looking for a Scorpions album at all.
With 'Unbreakable,' you've got a good amount of straight-ahead rockers with catchy riffs (and in some cases, lyrics), and a handful of ballads that honestly aren't bad. I've heard far worse, and not many better.
The guitars are just about as powerful as it gets for the method used to record this. Did I mention that 'a music fan from NH' must have missed the enhanced CD content, which not only shows the Scorpions in the studio, but explains how the CD itself was recorded? Must have slipped my mind. The entire band was together creating these songs, with just some headphones to keep track. It's very close to live Scorpions, and in that, I think it captures some of that particular magic.
I wasn't aware Sanctuary isn't considered a major label, seeing as they have some of the top bands of all time on their release lists.
And this is a hard rock, back to basics CD. As basic as it gets. Here you have an 'unbreakable' band just picking up the instruments, stepping up to the microphone and creating music.
To summarize: it doesn't give me a headache. It's pleasant to listen to, the enhanced content is interesting, and it's the Scorpions. The. Scorpions. This album alone is going to tide me over until the new Megadeth one comes out.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, but not great, June 26 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
this album is awsome! i first heard "love 'em or leave 'em" on 9:00 cop fight on 99.9. even though it got beat by motorhead's "year of the wolf", i loved the song, and got "unbreakable" a few days later. this is a studio live album which includes some great tracks.
the scorpions have a great signature sound thats different from every other hard rock/metal band out there. i love the riffs and power in the songs, but was a little disappointed by the lyrics. they sound like concepts borrowed from metal greats like metallica, motorhead, anthrax, etc. "borderline" sounds very familiar with its lyrics, "we jump into the fire/riding the wildest storm", and even "love 'em or leave 'em" is a very worn down subject. "maybe i maybe you" sounds like an attempt at balledry, but is really a funky piano song.
despite this, "unbreakable" is an excellent album. "new generation", "deep and dark", and "blood too hot" are all amazing metal tracks. every song keeps up the pace and attitude. get this if you want some quality scorpions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scorpions 2004, June 26 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
As explained in the included 5 minute video, this album represents Scorpions in the year 2004. This album pretty much reaches as far back as Lonesome Crow and as recent as Eye to Eye in regards to this albums influences and sound. There are slide solos, talk box effects, and hard hitting rock not since heard Face The Heat. Barring Face The Heat, this is quite possibly the best Scorpions album in over two decades.
Unbreakable provides for some heavy hitters like "Love 'em Or Leave 'em", "New Generation", and "Blood Too Hot", in addition to ballads like "Maybe I, Maybe You", "She Said", or "Through My Eyes" which resemble songs like "Moment In A Million Years", "Holiday", "You and I", or "No One Like You". Even from many Scorpions albums there are only two or three really strong songs which I'd place on a personal Best Of list, but this album has at least six songs ("New Generation", "Love 'em Or Leave 'em", "Deep and Dark", "Blood Too Hot", "Through My Eyes", "Remember the Good Times") which I could listen to over and over again.
The ultimate decision whether to rate this album as either four or five stars was how strong this album was over all and how much I have listened to this album. The only other album I have heard in the past year which I listened to over and over and over again was Axel Rudi Pell's album Kings and Queens. In the past month I have listened through Unbreakable at least several dozen times.
Ultimately, this album does not directly resemble any particular earlier Scorpions album, but it does harken to bits and pieces from all eras of their extensive career. The fans clamored for a new hard rock Scorpions album, and the band listened.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Return to Form, June 25 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
After more than a decade of sub-par releases, Scorpions have finally re-captured the magic that made them the best German export this side of BMW. As a fan of the group from the days of "Animal Magnetism" (1980), to my mind, the Scorps peaked with 1990's "Crazy World" before sliding into pop-rock complacency (1996's "Pure Instinct") and disastrous experimentalism (1999's "Eye II Eye"). With "Unbreakable," Klaus Meine and company have delivered a consistently enjoyable mix of largely uptempo rockers. Standout tracks include "Blood Too Hot," "Deep and Dark" and "Through My Eyes." These songs have all the power of the band's best 80s output and at the same time, come across as wholly contemporary. Chalk this feat up to superior songwriting combined with just the right amount of studio trickery. If you're equally annoyed by pseudo-angsty alt.rock and lobotomized pop, this release may be the cure for what ails you. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to name another Scorps Lp so chock-full of catchy hooks. The only real duffer in the bunch is "Maybe I Maybe You," which comes across as a misplaced Broadway show tune until the inevitable twin guitar attack. But 30-seconds into the follow-up track, you'll be in a forgiving mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, well worth the purchase., June 24 2004
Dice (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
I have been a Scorpions fan for a long time, I loved their 70's and 80's stuff, as well as 90-93 era. I was not much for the last two albums, "Pure Instinct" and "Eye II Eye", however.
This record is much stronger than the last two, way better written, harder tracks, better drumming, and overall DELIVERS what was promised by the band - AWESOME HARD ROCK. "Deep and Dark" is an amazing, stand out track that sounds A LOT like the classic Scorpions. The opening track, "New Generation", is great as well. Songs like "My City My Town" and "Remember The Good Times" are amazingly well written in the lyrical sense and actually almost made me cry. "Through My Eyes" is another classic that sounds like it was supposed to be on "Crazy World".
It is truly sad that these guys worked their hearts out on this record (and you can really hear it) but still won't get any radio play because of today's pathetic music scene. I recommend this record to all true Scorpions fans. If you are skeptical about getting it, I can HONESTLY tell you that it will blow you away with just a few listens.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Unbreakable
Unbreakable by Scorpions (Audio CD - 2010)