5.0 out of 5 stars M.A.S.H.
Suicide is painless; and laughter really hurts, which is what you will do, when you watch the "original" M.A.S.H. movie, which started it all to become a hit T.V. series. A great addition to anyone's collection of great c.d.'s.
Published 5 months ago by Vince Basciano

1.0 out of 5 stars They released the TV version on DVD...how sad
Published on Oct. 3 2002 by Ray

1.0 out of 5 stars They released the TV version on DVD...how sad, Oct. 3 2002
Ray (Orlando, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MASH (Widescreen) (DVD)
If you're buying this DVD because you want to see MASH as it was seen at the theater...forget it. This DVD is the cut version that was use for broadcast TV. If you want to see the original MASH as seen at the movies, try to find an old VHS copy of the film. I had planned to buy this DVD for my collection, but not now. Hollywood has been doing allot of this lately...claiming the DVD is the original uncut movie when in reality the movie was butchered by a crazed editor. It is so sad because the original MASH was so funny. Luckily I have an old VHS copy of the original film.

5.0 out of 5 stars M.A.S.H., Feb. 17 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars MacGoo says, July 16 2013
This review is from: M*A*S*H (DVD)
I have a large collection of Donald Sutherland films that now includes this comedic masterpiece! Sutherland has yet to be properly recognized by Hollywood for his talents and accomplishments, in my view.

1.0 out of 5 stars My, how times change, and me too!, Dec 22 2012
This review is from: MASH (Widescreen) (DVD)
Well, I decided to watch M*A*S*H again, after some three decades.

My, how times change!

I saw this movie several times as a teen back in the 70's, and just loved it. It has been called the first great movie of the 1970's, a seminal flic in that decade of great American cinema (perhaps the greatest.) And it shows Robert Altman at his finest, with natural dialogue and multi-layered scenes. Throw in the all-star ensemble cast and you you should have a winner.

What I really liked was the hyper realism of the operating room and the medical scenes. I'm sure people thought it was pretty gory for its time, but the realism is far less ostentatiously bloody than a recent movie, like say Academy Award best picture "The Departed."

Mind you, my opinion has now changed.

First, the movie is undeniably sexist. Women are objects in the movie, and we are talking the absolutely vital nurses that, as we now know, are the real backbone of any hospital. And there is a whiff of homophobia.

Additionally, I read a NYT review that suggested that this was the first mainstream movie to openly mock organized religion. Yes, there are few very humourous moments, but mostly these scenes come off as cruel and disrespectful.

I know that this movie was really a critique of the Vietnam War dressed up as Korea (while that war was going on!) but there are just too many sour bits for me to enjoy the movie anymore.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that the movie vacillates been hyper-realistic seriousness (which it does with panache and really well,) and plain silly comedy. You know, if I was the editor, I would have taken out a few of the sillier scenes, and a lot of the sexism, and I think you'd have the "classic" that many people feel M*A*S*H is.

But I'm not the editor, and I won't be watching it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars I guess you had to be there., Feb. 10 2002
This review is from: MASH (Widescreen) (DVD)
Heresy or not, all I can say is that a large segment of today's population must be comprised of nostalgic, angry ex-hippies, if this film can still glow for so many when examined under modern light. The rampant, idiotic sexism and ill-natured tone of the film is just sickening, not because of any duty to political correctness, but for the simple reason that a jerk is a jerk, no matter what the era(!). And this film really is shockingly ill-willed throughout. Trapper and Hawkeye (not to mention Skeritt's stomach-turning Duke Forrest) have to be among the most repulsive "protagonists" you'll ever see. They aren't just "anti-authority", as the spun marketing would have you believe, they are just complete, utter, cretins. Seriously, before the movie's half over, you'll be HOPING they get shot or hit by a bomb or something. It's beyond belief. This is certainly in contrast to the TV show, which was terrifically good-natured while still managing to portray hellish war conditions, and which I think was light-years superior to this "original". All of the hype aside, this film is just so ignorant and offensive (sexism, racism, the hateful and angry tone, etc.) that I think its main, if not only, fans are primarily those who grew up with the film and are conveniently blinded by nostalgia. Its "popularity" (if it even really exists anymore) will be infathomable to most modern viewers. It makes for ugly, distasteful viewing, on many counts. And it reminded me why just about everyone I grew up with from my generation never looked up to most of our flower-child precursors except with a healthy chunk of disdain. What a shame.
Now that I write this review and actually notice this film's cover graphic for the first time instead of paying attention only to the endless lauding by reviewers, I have to admit: who can be surprised by any of this. Blech. Not for my DVD collection, thanks. And not for yours either, unless you grew up revelling in the passive-aggressive anger of the 60's/70's and never learned to let it go. Do yourself a favor and pass (or at the very least, rent first), especially if you loved the TV show. Viewers who think "Dr T and The Women" is the only cinematic reason Altman ever gave to make them want to punch him in the face, just haven't seen this horribly overrated (and just plain horrible) film, yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars If only it was as good as the theme song..., June 30 2000
GeoX "GeoX" (Men...Of...The...Sea!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MASH (Widescreen) (DVD)
Well, I have to say, "Suicide is Painless" is a really great song, even more so when performed by the Manic Street Preachers. But the film itself...um. Okay, so it was very rarely funny. That in itself isn't necessarily a deadly sin. But...man alive, the breathtaking misogyny of the whole affair! Christ almighty (allegedly), am I the only one who found all the "Hot Lips" stuff beyond offensive? Is this funny? Was it EVER funny? Am I meant to be amused? In the seventies--maybe. I wasn't around then. But this, gentlemen, is the nineties, and this sort of supposed humour is simply not tolerable in this day and age--indeed, I'm somewhat baffled by the fact that, in my cursory inspection of the other reader reviews, nobody seems to have even MENTIONED this, given that it more or less spoiled whatever good qualities the film might have otherwise possessed. It elevated the main characters from the status of bland to actively repulsive. You people aren't bothered by this? Geez. What's good about the film other than the theme song? Well, as a sometime DS9 fan, it was sorta cool to see Rene Aberj...I'm not even going to TRY to spell that. But I liked seeing him. Other than that...I'm kinda drawing a blank. The film may have been groundbreaking and all that in its time, but now it's just embarrassing.
Addendum: Tsk, tsk...looks like some people can't stand having their sacred cows slaughtered thusly. Actually, looking back on it, I think I was too lenient with the film. By fixating on the one standout misogynist bit (though it would've been hard not to, given how shockingly offensive it was), I may have downplayed the film's overall unpleasant nature. About as funny as a minstrel show. One star.

5.0 out of 5 stars good price, came in good time, July 25 2014
This review is from: M*A*S*H (DVD)
God quality, good price, came in good time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebels on and off the Screen, Oct. 26 2002
K. Molnar "Chainreaver" (Greensboro) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MASH (Widescreen) (DVD)
Had Altman not given the people of Califonia a sneak-peek of M*A*S*H it would have been shelved and locked away in the Fox Vault, never to see the light of day. But Altman, like each member of the M*A*S*H cast, was a rebel. He and his cast and crew dared to tell the truth in a time when Hollywood was supposed to be a dream factory.
M*A*S*H is a black comedy that takes a stab at everything from the definaition of humanity and medical ethics to the reasons and methods of war. 5 miles from the Korean Front Line, the M*A*S*H characters are violently pushed to the brink. Some break. But others survive by pushing back with humor, love and blackmail. The movie opens with the arrival of Hawkeye Pierce and Duke Forester at the 4077, a number that has been immortalized by the movie and the series that followed in it's footsteps, and follows them as they try and survive their tour of duty.
The bonuses on this DVD are outstanding and are well worth watching. Make sure you have the time to soak everything in, because the interviews with Altman and the cast are filled with M*A*S*H facts that will amaze you. For example: In some night shots of the Speaker you can see the moon in the background. The night those sceens were shot was the same night American astronaughts landed on the moon.

3.0 out of 5 stars An important piece of film history, but in my eyes hasn't aged all that well,, April 21 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: M*A*S*H (DVD)
I should probably watch this again, since so many consider it a
masterpiece. Maybe I was over-prepared (Hey, it took me a second
viewing of 'Citizen Kane' to get my past pre-set expectations!). But while
I could see why M*A*S*H was groundbreaking and important for a
Hollywood film of it's day (lack of the usual clear narrative line, anti-war
stance, overlapping, improvised dialogue, sexuality, bloody operating room scenes
serving as ironic counterpart, etc), it felt pretty dated and
unfocused. There are some very funny moments, but a lot of the ironies
seem easy, and there's a lack of a true darker underpinnings and ideas,
unlike, say, 'Dr. Strangelove'.

A lot of the humor is juvenile, cruel and silly. And while I get that's
the point - nothing can be more deeply juvenile, cruel and silly than
war, it got repetitive and heavy handed after a while. The performances
are good, but beyond Robert Duvall, none of the characters have much in
the way of dimensions. People stay exactly what we think they are from the
moment we meet them.

Walter Chow makes a good argument on the web site 'Film Freak Central',
that the sexism, homophobia, etc are the whole point. Altman is saying
we're ALL beasts at heart, even if we act like we're bucking the
system. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I buy it's what
Altman was intending.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic now on Blu-ray, Oct. 16 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
"I have just left your fighting sons in Korea. They have done their best there, and I can report to you without reservation that they are splendid in every way.
I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty. Goodbye" -- Gen. Douglas MacArthur

This is the Korean War (1950-1953). We are visiting and passionate on the front line and observing the many lives of the very people that make the M*A*S*H (The 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) unit possible. This film is touted as a thinly veiled Vietnam War satire.

Some great one-liners as "You forgot your shingle doctor "as he holds up a piece of toast with creamed chipped beef on it. Or as Frank Burns is being hauled off in a straight jacket, the loud speaker is playing "it's time to say sayonara" May military inside jokes and even the clichés have a basis in reality. Although this film takes place, in Korea, it draws a very close parallel to the environment I was in Vietnam and I suspect there have been other wars with other environments similar and may again in the future. It's the laughs that we clean out of these types of films that make those situations tolerable.

For many movies especially older ones Blu-Ray is really just a gimmick and does not really add to or subtract from the storyline or the acting itself. However occasionally the visuals and sounds of Blu-Ray can contribute to earlier movies that were designed before Blu-Ray was conceived; this is one of those movies. This review may be under a different version but it is for the Blu-ray version so be sure to listen to the commentary by the late Robert Altman, AMC Back history, Enlisted: The story of M*A*S*H, M*A*S*H: History Through the Lens, Remembering M*A*S*H: 30th anniversary, Theatrical Trailer, Portuguese Trailer, and Still Gallery.

Through early morning fog I see
The visions of the things to be.
The pains that are withheld for me
I realize, and I can see.....

That suicide is painless
And I can take or leave it if I please

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card, I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say

Suicide is painless
And I can take or leave it if I please

The sword of time will pierce our skin
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger, watch it brim..

Suicide is painless
And I can take or leave it if I please

A brave man once requested me
To answer questions that are key
"Is it to be, or not to be?"
And I replied, "why ask me?"

But suicide is painless
And I can take or leave it if I please

And you can do the same thing if you please

If you enjoyed this and other Robert Altman films you may like a more esoteric film by Robert Altman called Quintet ((1979).

Quintet ~ Paul Newman

M*A*S*H
M*A*S*H by Robert Altman (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 11.98 CDN$ 6.99