5.0 out of 5 stars good
recu a la bonne date recu impécable rien a dire mon ami est bien content sa joue bien merci a vous
Published 18 months ago by Isabelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good news and some bad news
Published on July 13 2004 by Scott M. Skelton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good news and some bad news, July 13 2004
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I am the coauthor, with Jim Benson, of the companion guide to "Rod Serling's Night Gallery." We've been tracking this release pretty closely and are privy to as much information as we can squeeze out of Universal Studios. We're grateful the series has been tapped for a DVD release, and the set has been struck from original, uncut prints--the same ones Columbia House used for its mail-order volumes--and not the butchered half-hour syndication version that played on the SciFi Channel for years. That said, the master for the pilot is 20 years old, and those for the series are 15 years old--acceptable, but a bit long-in-the-tooth compared to the up-to-date treatment other television series have received. Imbedded in a few of the episodes are some errors, mostly in the sound and music tracks, and it would have been preferable had Universal seen fit to correct these. We also fail to see why a series which featured the involvement of both Rod Serling and Steven Spielberg did not rate a budget that allowed special features. If Warner Brothers can load extras into DVD releases of such non-classics as "Wonder Woman" and "The Dukes of Hazzard," then Universal is out of touch with current standards in the DVD business when they fail to properly document their own classic TV shows (such as "Rod Serling's Night Gallery" and "Columbo"). However, Universal is new to the TV side of their property library and may need to get their feet wet before they finally catch up to their more forward-looking competitors.
As a caveat emptor, the first season is relatively free of errors compared to the second season. The most critical error is the crackling that runs through the soundtrack of Serling's segment "The House" (found in Episode #3). Any further critique will have to wait until the release.
And who knows, if sales for Season One are impressive enough, maybe the studio will do right by Season Two and give "RSNG" a budget that more accurately reflects its classic status.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Sept. 29 2004
John Lapp (Victoria, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Well, I'm a little surprised that so many people have given Night Gallery a review without actually watching the DVD set. Well I purchased it the other day and have watched it and there is no need to fear, the DVD remastering quality is excellent. It is so clear that you can even see the uppper lip hair on Patty Duke in one of the episodes. I always liked Night Gallery and so I enjoyed this DVD set. If you are a fan you will love it. Good sound, good picture well worth the modest price. One small quibble...there doesn't seem to be very many episodes on the three discs in spite of the fact that they advertise it as 20 stories. No DVD extras but then most of those unfortunately are usually a waste of time anyway. So all in all a worthwhile purchase if you like the show.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS HORRIBLE NEWS...., June 12 2004
Mark Norvell (HOUSTON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I grew up watching Night Gallery in the 70's. I have many fond memories of this wonderful anthology series being the highlight of my week. I've been waiting for news of Night Gallery making it on DVD. And now I read these "heads up" on Universal's treatment of this television treasure. If what everyone's saying is true, I most certainly will boycott this insult to the millions of fans of Rod Serling's Night Gallery. It's inconceivable that Universal could do such a horrific injustice to something so beloved as Night Gallery. Intelligent stories, great stars...Rod Serling for pete's sake! I already have a few beefs with Universal as it is but this is below the belt. If this information turns out to be true then I for one think Universal should be sued by Rod Serling's estate. It's a disgrace to Serling, television history and all the fans like me who embraced this truly unique and entertaining series. Sign me...Disgusted.

1.0 out of 5 stars SHAME ON UNIVERSAL!, June 12 2004
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Respect for Mr. Serling please Universal! Here we go again. After all this time waiting for a DVD release of the series "NIGHT GALLERY." Here we are with another fine mess. I agree with everyone's comments and think Universal needs to rethink what they are doing. The staffers at Universal should do more research on this kind of Genre. First of all, extra features are essential for a classic release like this. What the point of being on DVD otherwise, especially since most of the fans of this series are people over 35 who remember this series from the first time it was shown. I saw a few of these on video and was disturbed to find that some were actually episodes from the series "The Sixth Sense" which was a good show on its own. That kept me from buying them on video. But Universal pulled a fast one and tried to make those episodes look like part of the Night Gallery series. Shame on Universal and they should know that fans don't like when their favorite classic TV shows are messed with. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE START A PETITION TO UNIVERSAL TO RECTIFY THIS MESS?

1.0 out of 5 stars Universally ridiculous, June 10 2004
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Rod Serling's Night Gallery is a landmark of vintage television, and as such I was thrilled to hear about its upcoming release on DVD. My excitement turned to keen disappointment when I found out about Universal's shabby treatment of this release. Make no mistake - I would be quite happy to buy all three seasons as they were released *if* Universal made it worth my money. Unfortunately, it appears that they are using dated transfers *and* are making no effort whatsoever to give fans any informative, provocative extras (many of the actors and directors that worked on the show are still around... why no audio commentary with some of these people? Or any sort of 'extra' at all???). If anyone from Universal is reading this, please listen up... I will not buy this. But you have the rights to the show and if you rectify this mess (namely, the lack of any thoughtful attn given to this project), I will be more than thrilled to plop down some hard-earned cash for Rod Serling's Night Gallery, first season on DVD.

2.0 out of 5 stars Universal not giving us our money's worth, June 8 2004
Stanley T. Smith "stsmiser" (Lawrenceville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I'm a new fan of Night Gallery and I enjoy the show immensely. Since I have recorded most of the shows, a DVD with no extras and cut up syndicated versions does not appeal to me. As has previously been said, it is utterly unconscionable that Universal would release something so haphazardly and expect consumers to buy it en masse. Don't get me wrong, I love Night Gallery and would gladly stand in line to buy the set with a high quality transfer and extras, but this release, unless Universal changes their minds, isn't the one I'd stand in line for (excuse the prepositional ending). Sadly, the irony is that if this release doesn't sell, Universal may pull the plug on future seasons (as fans, we should let them know how we feel). I hope Universal sees the light and realizes that people want to get their money's worth. Not only this, I hope Universal understands what a wonderful series Night Gallery is and that as such it deserves to be preserved with the highest quality transfer and all the additional content they can muster.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk is not "Better than Nothing", June 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
After reading on the Night Gallery website the news concerning the poor quality of this set I sent the following email to the Universal MCA website: "I intended to buy your NIGHT GALLERY First Season Set when it is released in August, but I've decided not to after hearing about what a poor job Universal MCA is going to do on the set. If you aren't going to remaster the episodes or include extras, don't bother releasing the set. Customers don't want to pay good money for junk."

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not remastered!, June 5 2004
M. Dawes "M. Dawes" (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Universal has done it again...they've screwed up another one of their releases. "Night Gallery" was the last TV work of that master of the teleplay, Rod Serling, and deserves to be seen in all it's original pristine clarity. Using 1991 masters is not acceptable, since HDTV is here and DVDs show every little scratch. Demand that Universal show this series the respect it has earned by releasing it as it should be seen. Uncut and remastered.

1.0 out of 5 stars They're Tearing Down Rod Serling's Legacy, June 9 2004
Michael K. Schramm (Aledo, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Like the other reviewers who have posted here, I too am incensed by what Universal has done to legions of "Night Gallery" fans. I have to wonder if anyone over the age of 30 gets involved in the decision making process when it comes to releasing vintage TV series like this; just look at what happened to the "Kung Fu" season 1 release. I encourage everyone to sign a petition available on nightgallery.net

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this box set, June 24 2004
Italo Tettoni (Sydney, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Gallery: The Complete First Season (DVD)
As a long time Rod Serling fan I have been waiting for a DVD release of the 'Night Gallery' but Universal studios and its marketing department have decided to shortchange their own customers by deciding to release not only a bare bones edition of this seminal series but they are also, as rumoured, not remastering and restoring these episodes for DVD.
Shame on you Universal and I'll be voicing my displeasure by not buying this (or any other future sets) unless this series and its creator get the treatment they deserve.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Night Gallery: The Complete First Season
Night Gallery: The Complete First Season by Jeannot Szwarc (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 36.99