countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Size: fits 5 to 6 quart mixers|Change
Price:$116.93+ $20.00 shipping

I got this attachment for my birthday, and I absolutely love it! It can make up to 2 litres in single batch. I give this product a 5 star rating!

There were a few things that I found initially frustrating and annoying; you have to pre-freeze the bowl for a minimum of 15 hours each time you want to make ice cream, and the recipes contained in the instruction manual all involve premixing the ingredients and then chilling for 8-10 hours before churning. However I quickly came up with solutions to both!

After the initial 15 hour freeze, whenever you make ice cream, immediately wash out the bowl with COLD water, dry the outside, and pop it back into the freezer to stay frozen. This eliminates the 15 hour wait time to refreeze. Just make sure that you use cold water to wash it out, so as not to speed up melting and/or crack the plastic housing from temperature shock.

As for the premixing of ingredients and chilling for 8-10 hours - I found this can be avoided if you make Philadelphia-style ice cream, instead of the French-style (custard-based) ice cream recipes provided in the manual. The first time I tried making ice cream, I used the standard French-style French vanilla recipe provided, and was not at all satisfied with the results. Although it looked and tasted good, the texture was too airy and "fluffy", and when I put it in the freezer to set, it was almost like a frozen mousse, not ice cream. It was also very hard after being in the freezer, like a block of ice, and couldn't be easily scooped. I prefer my ice cream to be more dense, but still soft and creamy. And don't forget, I had to premix all the ingredients, cook them to form a custard, and then chill everything for 10 hours before I could actually even make the ice cream! That's when I went online and discovered Philadelphia-style ice cream, which eliminates the custard base and eggs. It is much simpler, using only cream, milk, sugar, and flavouring. It came out soft and rich, like soft serve, and set PERFECTLY in the freezer - easy to scoop! I highly recommend this style over the French-style recipes.

Here are a few recipes I have come up with so far:

Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream (Yields 4 cups or 1 L)

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 shots Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur (works better if Bailey's is kept chilled in fridge or freezer)

- Whisk together the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the cream and Bailey's, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the bowl and let churn for 15-20 minutes, or until desired consistency.

** Freeze in airtight container for 2 hours to set, or eat as a soft-serve style ice cream directly after mixing.
** You can substitute the Bailey's liqueur with your favourite strawberry liqueur (I use Amarula), and add fresh, diced strawberries about 3 minutes before the ice cream is done churning.

Godiva Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup chocolate milk
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 tsp cocoa powder
* 2 shots Godiva White Chocolate liqueur
* Chocolate chunks or shavings (I use semi-sweet)

- Whisk milk, sugar, and cocoa together until dissolved.
- Add cream and Godiva liqueur, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Add the chocolate shavings/chunks to the ice cream about 3 minutes before you are done churning.

You don't have to use liqueurs in your ice cream if you don't want to - or if it will be served to children. Just follow the basic recipes and omit the alcohol. I do find, though, that the alcohol helps to prevent the ice cream from getting too hard when stored in the freezer, as alcohol does not freeze. Even without the alcohol, though, it is still much softer and easier to scoop than the French-style recipes.

Enjoy!
0Comment| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2015
Buyer be warned- crappy product and company refuses to stand behind quality.

We bought this about 1.5 years ago. We have used it about 3 or 4 times. This last time, it leaked blue fluid ALL over the counter and kitchen. It seems to be seeping through the nipple/lip thing on the front of the container.

When I called Kitchen Aid customer service to inquire about replacement, I was told that it was outside of the 1 year warranty and there was nothing that could be done about it, but I could buy another one for $130. I told her I was terribly disappointed in such poor quality or design. She said there is no way to file a complaint against the product (really??!), so here I am on Amazon. Keep your $100 and spend it on ice cream from a good store- it will be cheaper than the 4 times you get to use this appliance!
on April 30, 2013
I bought this a little more than a year ago and loved it when it first arrived. However, after storing in the cupboard for several months over the winter I pulled it out to discover that it is leaking the blue freezing fluid. It is less than a month beyond the warranty period but likely has been leaking for quite a while. I saw lots of comments about the issue online as well as people stating the KitchenAid supports their brand and will help out even outside of warranty period. I thought it would be worthwhile to call and see if anything could be done for me unfortunately, they refused to do anything. While I loved the homemade icecream, I would not recommend this product due to the poor quality and the Company's refusal to stand behind their p[roduct despite this being a relatively common issue.
on July 4, 2011
This ice cream maker is great, I just store the bowl in the deep freeze so that it's ready to use whenever we want fresh ice cream. The recipes are simple to make and very tasty. Just remember to have the bowl set up and turn on the mixer BEFORE adding the ice cream mix as it will start to freeze to the sides of the bowl very quickly and you will have trouble with the paddle. Follow the instructions and you will have ice cream in 15 - 20 minutes
on February 1, 2014
This ice cream maker works great with any KitchenAid Stand mixer. It is easy to use and makes great ice cream, however it does take planning (must be frozen for a day before use) and quite a bit of space in the freezer, so it's not something that you can put in the freezer full-time and use on a whim. As a result, I've used it less often than I thought that I would, although it is still a great product.
on October 4, 2015
Since I bought it, we have used it exclusively to make ice cream.....all kinds. We store it in the freezer, as suggested, and use it frequently.Works like a charm. Haven't bought any ice cream from the store since.
on September 20, 2013
It worked great for the first year and a half, then it began leaking the blue goo from the bottom... Will have to look into a new ice cream maker that is not a kitchenaid as I am not wanting to have to repurchase for $100 every two years
on May 11, 2016
Ça fonctionne très bien. Je regrette que les pièces rotatives soient en plastique, on se doute qu'au fil du temps ces pièces se fragiliseront. C'est comme un ice-pack en forme de bol; après environ 30 minutes de brassage vous avez une bonne quantité de crème glacée. Bien meilleure que ce que vous trouverez en épicerie. Mais vous devenez conscient de la quantité de crème riche et de sucre que vous y mettez... yolo!
I received this as a Christmas gift, and am totally enamoured! It's a wonderful piece of machinery. I keep mine in the deep freeze all the time, so that it's ready to go whenever I am.

One note: always chill your ice cream "batter" before pouring it into the bowl, otherwise, your ice cream will not get nearly hard enough. If you chill it first, you can eat as soon as it's done mixing. If you put it in the freezer for later, it still freezes up like normal ice cream (not hard as a rock like some other ice cream makers I've used).
on May 27, 2016
1 year later and this guy is still performing fine. As most people mention, the keys to success are prefreezing the bowl for at least a day or two on the coldest freezer setting before using, and also chilling your ice cream mix for a few hours or overnight before churning (regardless of the style of ice cream, always chill before mixing!). I keep the bowl in my freezer at all times, and usually mix up my ice cream in the evening, refrigerate over night, and churn in the morning. If you were successful your cream will come out the consistency of soft serve, eat it like that or pop it in the freezer to firm up (30 mins or so). Always remember that unless your using preservatives/emulsifiers in your recipes your ice cream will not last forever. Ideally it should be consumed in a week.

The reason I gave 4 stars and not 5, is because of the whole prefreezing process. But that's just what you get with this, if you can't handle that then get an electric machine. If you'd rather have just a bowl to store instead of an entire other appliance then I would highly recommend this. My counters are already crammed with appliances, so unless making ice cream becomes a daily occurrence I see no need to cram in another one! I've read plenty of other reviews that complain about the freezing fluid leaking, my best guess is that the bowl was handled/stored poorly, or washed with hot water when it was still cold causing it to crack. ALWAYS wash with cool water, or allow the bowl to come to room temp before washing.
review image review image