5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:08 Mins
I got this attachment for my birthday, and I absolutely love it! It can make up to 2 litres in single batch. I give this product a 5 star rating!

Published on Feb. 7 2012 by Christopher Parr

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed
Published 19 months ago by SJS

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Feb. 7 2012
Christopher Parr (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:08 Mins

There were a few things that I found initially frustrating and annoying; you have to pre-freeze the bowl for a minimum of 15 hours each time you want to make ice cream, and the recipes contained in the instruction manual all involve premixing the ingredients and then chilling for 8-10 hours before churning. However I quickly came up with solutions to both!

After the initial 15 hour freeze, whenever you make ice cream, immediately wash out the bowl with COLD water, dry the outside, and pop it back into the freezer to stay frozen. This eliminates the 15 hour wait time to refreeze. Just make sure that you use cold water to wash it out, so as not to speed up melting and/or crack the plastic housing from temperature shock.

As for the premixing of ingredients and chilling for 8-10 hours - I found this can be avoided if you make Philadelphia-style ice cream, instead of the French-style (custard-based) ice cream recipes provided in the manual. The first time I tried making ice cream, I used the standard French-style French vanilla recipe provided, and was not at all satisfied with the results. Although it looked and tasted good, the texture was too airy and "fluffy", and when I put it in the freezer to set, it was almost like a frozen mousse, not ice cream. It was also very hard after being in the freezer, like a block of ice, and couldn't be easily scooped. I prefer my ice cream to be more dense, but still soft and creamy. And don't forget, I had to premix all the ingredients, cook them to form a custard, and then chill everything for 10 hours before I could actually even make the ice cream! That's when I went online and discovered Philadelphia-style ice cream, which eliminates the custard base and eggs. It is much simpler, using only cream, milk, sugar, and flavouring. It came out soft and rich, like soft serve, and set PERFECTLY in the freezer - easy to scoop! I highly recommend this style over the French-style recipes.

Here are a few recipes I have come up with so far:

Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream (Yields 4 cups or 1 L)

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 shots Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur (works better if Bailey's is kept chilled in fridge or freezer)

- Whisk together the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the cream and Bailey's, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the bowl and let churn for 15-20 minutes, or until desired consistency.

** Freeze in airtight container for 2 hours to set, or eat as a soft-serve style ice cream directly after mixing.
** You can substitute the Bailey's liqueur with your favourite strawberry liqueur (I use Amarula), and add fresh, diced strawberries about 3 minutes before the ice cream is done churning.

Godiva Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup chocolate milk
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 tsp cocoa powder
* 2 shots Godiva White Chocolate liqueur
* Chocolate chunks or shavings (I use semi-sweet)

- Whisk milk, sugar, and cocoa together until dissolved.
- Add cream and Godiva liqueur, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Add the chocolate shavings/chunks to the ice cream about 3 minutes before you are done churning.

You don't have to use liqueurs in your ice cream if you don't want to - or if it will be served to children. Just follow the basic recipes and omit the alcohol. I do find, though, that the alcohol helps to prevent the ice cream from getting too hard when stored in the freezer, as alcohol does not freeze. Even without the alcohol, though, it is still much softer and easier to scoop than the French-style recipes.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ice-cream at home, Dec 23 2010
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
When I saw that there was an ice-cream maker attachment for the kitchenaid stand mixer, I was so excited. I have only used it once and am already planning many different combinations to try. I did find that it took longer than I thought it would, but good things come to those who wait. The recipe book included has recipes to get you started, with basic flavours which you can then add to. I would have liked some eggless recipes, but those have been easily found online. I would recommend this attachment to anyone who has a kitchenaid stand mixer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this attachment, July 4 2011
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
This ice cream maker is great, I just store the bowl in the deep freeze so that it's ready to use whenever we want fresh ice cream. The recipes are simple to make and very tasty. Just remember to have the bowl set up and turn on the mixer BEFORE adding the ice cream mix as it will start to freeze to the sides of the bowl very quickly and you will have trouble with the paddle. Follow the instructions and you will have ice cream in 15 - 20 minutes

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed, April 30 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
I bought this a little more than a year ago and loved it when it first arrived. However, after storing in the cupboard for several months over the winter I pulled it out to discover that it is leaking the blue freezing fluid. It is less than a month beyond the warranty period but likely has been leaking for quite a while. I saw lots of comments about the issue online as well as people stating the KitchenAid supports their brand and will help out even outside of warranty period. I thought it would be worthwhile to call and see if anything could be done for me unfortunately, they refused to do anything. While I loved the homemade icecream, I would not recommend this product due to the poor quality and the Company's refusal to stand behind their p[roduct despite this being a relatively common issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than buying ice cream!, March 3 2011
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
I received this as a Christmas gift, and am totally enamoured! It's a wonderful piece of machinery. I keep mine in the deep freeze all the time, so that it's ready to go whenever I am.

One note: always chill your ice cream "batter" before pouring it into the bowl, otherwise, your ice cream will not get nearly hard enough. If you chill it first, you can eat as soon as it's done mixing. If you put it in the freezer for later, it still freezes up like normal ice cream (not hard as a rock like some other ice cream makers I've used).

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Goodness, May 16 2011
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
I received my Ice Cream Maker for the Kitchen Aid standup mixer. Works awesome. Easy to use. Kids loved the ice cream as did mom. It does come out initially like soft-serve, which is not my favourite... but once left in the freezer for a few hours, it really hardens nicely. No additives... no preservatives... awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, Feb. 17 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
I bought this attachment so I could make nondairy and low sugar ice cream for my family... I have an accolade mixer, which does not work with many of kitchenaid's attachments, but with the supplied adapter ring the ice cream maker fit perfectly (it makes me wonder if the adapter ring could be used to fit th glass bowl too, but that's another topic). The paddle fits into the bowl, and there is a plastic part that slides onto the rotating mechanism of the mixer. It is quite ingenious, and makes it so the paddle can spin in place when the tilt head is lowered onto it.

The bowl needs to be frozen solid, and the batter needs to be chilled all the way before using (the first time I skipped this step and poured the batter in only slightly chilled, and ended up with ice cream the consistency of a slurpee). The paddle needs to be moving as you pour the mixture into the bowl, and this can get a little bit messy if you are working with a thicker batter that does not pour quickly, I did get some drips down the side of the ice cream bowl trying to get it all in around the moving mechanism.

The mixing happens on low speed and takes 15-20 minutes. You will know it is ready when the plastic disk starts to skip, making a clicking noise, because the ice cream is now too thick to turn smoothly. At this point, the ice cream is the consistency of a soft serve, if you like it firmer, pop it into the freezer for 20-30 minutes.

For non-dairy ice creams I do not recommend freezing the finished product overnight as it turns rock hard (but would be great for fudgesicles). If you are making ice cream using heavy cream the extra fat content should keep it scoopable the next day without much trouble.

Overall this was a great investment for me, I've had fun testing it even in wintertime, and I imagine come summer this will probably get used daily. Wait for a rebate if you can, kitchenaid has at least a couple each year on attachments.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T FIT ALL MIXERS MADE AFTER 1990 SO BEWARE, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
Even though the description for the ice cream makers says fits all mixers made after 1990, it DOES NOT fit KitchenAid Mixers purchased at Costco. They require the KAICA models which are not available at Amazon.ca Amazon.ca models are KICA models. I just bought this ice cream maker and Kitchenaid was offering a rebate in which they required cutting out the UPC from the box. Now I can't return the ice cream maker either. Check your model before you order.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it at first... Then it leaked, Sept. 20 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
It worked great for the first year and a half, then it began leaking the blue goo from the bottom... Will have to look into a new ice cream maker that is not a kitchenaid as I am not wanting to have to repurchase for $100 every two years

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchenaid Ice Cream Maker Attachment, Aug. 8 2011
This review is from: KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment (Kitchen)
I had only seen the ice cream maker attachment advertised on TV and was skeptical to say the least. I love home made ice cream but wasn't sure about the attachment. I decided to try it and it worked fantastic! I absolutely LOVE this ice cream maker. I keep it in my freezer as suggested by some reviews I read and it is ready to go at a moments notice. It truly does work but the only thing I do is add a little more time to the processing....about 5 - 10 minutes, that's all!! You will love it!

KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment