march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Size: fits 5 to 6 quart mixers|Change

Showing 1-10 of 121 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
I got this attachment for my birthday, and I absolutely love it! It can make up to 2 litres in single batch. I give this product a 5 star rating!

There were a few things that I found initially frustrating and annoying; you have to pre-freeze the bowl for a minimum of 15 hours each time you want to make ice cream, and the recipes contained in the instruction manual all involve premixing the ingredients and then chilling for 8-10 hours before churning. However I quickly came up with solutions to both!

After the initial 15 hour freeze, whenever you make ice cream, immediately wash out the bowl with COLD water, dry the outside, and pop it back into the freezer to stay frozen. This eliminates the 15 hour wait time to refreeze. Just make sure that you use cold water to wash it out, so as not to speed up melting and/or crack the plastic housing from temperature shock.

As for the premixing of ingredients and chilling for 8-10 hours - I found this can be avoided if you make Philadelphia-style ice cream, instead of the French-style (custard-based) ice cream recipes provided in the manual. The first time I tried making ice cream, I used the standard French-style French vanilla recipe provided, and was not at all satisfied with the results. Although it looked and tasted good, the texture was too airy and "fluffy", and when I put it in the freezer to set, it was almost like a frozen mousse, not ice cream. It was also very hard after being in the freezer, like a block of ice, and couldn't be easily scooped. I prefer my ice cream to be more dense, but still soft and creamy. And don't forget, I had to premix all the ingredients, cook them to form a custard, and then chill everything for 10 hours before I could actually even make the ice cream! That's when I went online and discovered Philadelphia-style ice cream, which eliminates the custard base and eggs. It is much simpler, using only cream, milk, sugar, and flavouring. It came out soft and rich, like soft serve, and set PERFECTLY in the freezer - easy to scoop! I highly recommend this style over the French-style recipes.

Here are a few recipes I have come up with so far:

Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream (Yields 4 cups or 1 L)

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 shots Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur (works better if Bailey's is kept chilled in fridge or freezer)

- Whisk together the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the cream and Bailey's, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the bowl and let churn for 15-20 minutes, or until desired consistency.

** Freeze in airtight container for 2 hours to set, or eat as a soft-serve style ice cream directly after mixing.
** You can substitute the Bailey's liqueur with your favourite strawberry liqueur (I use Amarula), and add fresh, diced strawberries about 3 minutes before the ice cream is done churning.

Godiva Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup chocolate milk
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 tsp cocoa powder
* 2 shots Godiva White Chocolate liqueur
* Chocolate chunks or shavings (I use semi-sweet)

- Whisk milk, sugar, and cocoa together until dissolved.
- Add cream and Godiva liqueur, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Add the chocolate shavings/chunks to the ice cream about 3 minutes before you are done churning.

You don't have to use liqueurs in your ice cream if you don't want to - or if it will be served to children. Just follow the basic recipes and omit the alcohol. I do find, though, that the alcohol helps to prevent the ice cream from getting too hard when stored in the freezer, as alcohol does not freeze. Even without the alcohol, though, it is still much softer and easier to scoop than the French-style recipes.

Enjoy!
0Comment|196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2011
This ice cream maker is great, I just store the bowl in the deep freeze so that it's ready to use whenever we want fresh ice cream. The recipes are simple to make and very tasty. Just remember to have the bowl set up and turn on the mixer BEFORE adding the ice cream mix as it will start to freeze to the sides of the bowl very quickly and you will have trouble with the paddle. Follow the instructions and you will have ice cream in 15 - 20 minutes
on March 3, 2011
I received this as a Christmas gift, and am totally enamoured! It's a wonderful piece of machinery. I keep mine in the deep freeze all the time, so that it's ready to go whenever I am.

One note: always chill your ice cream "batter" before pouring it into the bowl, otherwise, your ice cream will not get nearly hard enough. If you chill it first, you can eat as soon as it's done mixing. If you put it in the freezer for later, it still freezes up like normal ice cream (not hard as a rock like some other ice cream makers I've used).
on May 16, 2011
I received my Ice Cream Maker for the Kitchen Aid standup mixer. Works awesome. Easy to use. Kids loved the ice cream as did mom. It does come out initially like soft-serve, which is not my favourite... but once left in the freezer for a few hours, it really hardens nicely. No additives... no preservatives... awesome!
on February 17, 2012
I bought this attachment so I could make nondairy and low sugar ice cream for my family... I have an accolade mixer, which does not work with many of kitchenaid's attachments, but with the supplied adapter ring the ice cream maker fit perfectly (it makes me wonder if the adapter ring could be used to fit th glass bowl too, but that's another topic). The paddle fits into the bowl, and there is a plastic part that slides onto the rotating mechanism of the mixer. It is quite ingenious, and makes it so the paddle can spin in place when the tilt head is lowered onto it.

The bowl needs to be frozen solid, and the batter needs to be chilled all the way before using (the first time I skipped this step and poured the batter in only slightly chilled, and ended up with ice cream the consistency of a slurpee). The paddle needs to be moving as you pour the mixture into the bowl, and this can get a little bit messy if you are working with a thicker batter that does not pour quickly, I did get some drips down the side of the ice cream bowl trying to get it all in around the moving mechanism.

The mixing happens on low speed and takes 15-20 minutes. You will know it is ready when the plastic disk starts to skip, making a clicking noise, because the ice cream is now too thick to turn smoothly. At this point, the ice cream is the consistency of a soft serve, if you like it firmer, pop it into the freezer for 20-30 minutes.

For non-dairy ice creams I do not recommend freezing the finished product overnight as it turns rock hard (but would be great for fudgesicles). If you are making ice cream using heavy cream the extra fat content should keep it scoopable the next day without much trouble.

Overall this was a great investment for me, I've had fun testing it even in wintertime, and I imagine come summer this will probably get used daily. Wait for a rebate if you can, kitchenaid has at least a couple each year on attachments.
on August 8, 2011
I had only seen the ice cream maker attachment advertised on TV and was skeptical to say the least. I love home made ice cream but wasn't sure about the attachment. I decided to try it and it worked fantastic! I absolutely LOVE this ice cream maker. I keep it in my freezer as suggested by some reviews I read and it is ready to go at a moments notice. It truly does work but the only thing I do is add a little more time to the processing....about 5 - 10 minutes, that's all!! You will love it!
on March 10, 2014
I love making ice cream in this thing. It fits my tilt head machine perfectly but it does not fit my dad's bigger professional bowl lift machine... The bowl fits... the dasher part does not, making it useless for him... make sure you order the correct ice cream bowl for your machine there are two and they look the same, but one is made for the professional machine, (dasher attachment is different), and the other (this one), is made for the standard tilt head machine (which is what I have).
on January 31, 2012
This item is absolutely wonderful to work with. The directions are very clear and the finished product doesn't last very long in our household. It arrived very quickly after it was ordered and was put into use within the first few days! It was also packaged so that it would arrive safely. Thanks Amazon for the fantastic service.
on July 18, 2012
Love that this easily attaches to my stand mixer. Most stand alone ice cream makers are bulky and this takes up very little space. I actually just store it in my deep freeze so I can make a batch of ice cream quickly if the mood strikes. Makes a generous size batch as well. Clean up is easy and the results are fantastic. Makes a wonderful soft serve right out the bowl, but all the recipes I've tried freeze up beautifully as well. Highly recommend if you're an ice cream lover. Also, buy "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz. It is the greatest recipe book for all sorts of frozen treats and mix-ins! The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
on May 16, 2011
Love, love, love!! This product works great...its very quiet as the ice cream is made with the mixer on the stir setting. It usually only takes 20-25 minutes of mixing to have a perfect soft serve ice cream. Highly recommended.

See 1 answered question