5.0 out of 5 stars Purest portrayal of Ayn Rand and her philosophy
Published on Nov. 3 2003 by Diane Offutt

3.0 out of 5 stars Rand's belief that America should win out over Russia
The three stars that I gave this DVD, a gift from a special friend, an ardent student of Miss Rand and Objectivism, does not mean that I did not enjoy this documentary tremendously. I am not the most ardent fan of Miss Rand although I greatly admire the one book of hers that I read, "The Fountainhead," for its astounding literary merits. I have started reading...
Published on April 1 2001 by Kawaiineko

5.0 out of 5 stars Purest portrayal of Ayn Rand and her philosophy, Nov. 3 2003
Diane Offutt (Woodstock, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
I just finished looking at "Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life" and I must say I am so happy to have found this DVD. It is an insightful portrayal of Ayn. The interviews with Ayn and her discussing her philosophy of objectivism, are priceless. What a wonderful way to learn about her. Also the story has so many scenes of old New York that are so exciting. All I can say is if you want to know about Ms Rand, buy this DVD. You will not be sorry.
Diane Offutt
Atlanta, Georgia

5.0 out of 5 stars A very in-depth and revealing documentary of an objectivist, Oct. 9 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life [Import] (DVD)
I have seen most of the footage of this documentary in many shorter commentaries and biographies; and as extras on DVD`s of her films. It is the mostly chronological and few soundbite presentation that has an almost movie like feel. What pulls the Documentary together into a cohesive presentation is the excellent narration by Sharon Gless.

Aside from the purpose of the presentation I really enjoyed seeing clips of a lot of my favorite movies. Most are in my collection.

"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny." (Brihadaranyaka IV.4.5)

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes more than sense, it makes a difference, April 8 2012
This review is from: Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life [Import] (DVD)
It gave me great joy to see this documentary. It articulated the most important issues Ayn Rand wrote and talked about, especially the egoist - altruist dichotomy.
But please, take the time to read Ayn Rand before seeing the documentary; read "Anthem" first, and "Philosphy, who needs it" second. Then buy this documentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent achievement!, Jan. 9 2004
R. Eriks Goodwin (Bon Air, Virginia, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
Although seeing AR:ASOL on the big screen at a pre-release conference in Chicago was better, this DVD is awesome. The story of Rand is enticing, even to those who do not like her. The story was extremely well-written and the selection and handling of material was well done. I was pleasantly surprised to see the variety of materials which had been assembled for this Academy Award nominated documentary.
After meeting the director, Michael Paxton, in person, I can see why he achieved such a great film. He is as amazing a person as the film itself is on the screen.
Sitting to watch this film over and over with friends and family is an excellent use of one's time-- and time which will be enjoyed. I highly recommend this DVD to be part of any serious movie collection.
I have the framed, preserved, autographed movie poster for this DVD hanging in my office behind my desk as the focal point of the room-- that's how much I love this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine and Genuinely Interesting Documentary, July 29 2003
J. Reynolds (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
It's just as well that this terrific documentary did not win the Academy Award, since that same Oscar for documentary film later was awarded to "Bowling for Columbine" -- a staged work of satire whose shams and errors substantively disqualified it from "documentary" status (but rules don't really matter in Hollywood). The award has thus been cheapened, and "A Sense of Life" is in a much higher class.
All of the people who consume more than they produce (in other words, thieves) will not like the story of Rand's life, in that they are properly cast as society's villains. However, everyone who produces, champions individualism and promotes self-reliance, will find this fine (and genuine) documentary inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 28 2003
Eric Kassan (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This was an incredible film of a remarkable woman. In particular, the film does a great job of showing more of the person behind the persona. It shows how she consistently applied her principles and how they furthered her life and gave her happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptional View of Ayn's Life, Oct. 14 2002
Watching this exhaustive documentary (2:23) was a real eye opener for me. While I am conversant with her works, I was quite ignorant of the details of her life. The documentary follows Ayn from her oppressed Russian beginnings to (believe it or not) the pasteboard sets of 30s Hollywood to the intellectual circles of New York. The contrast are amazing and one can't but conclude that Any Rand lived a very fortunate life.
The commentaries are not very insightful - but only due to the exceptionally detailed information narrated by Sharon Gless. Strangely enough, one of the more dramatic events of her career; her affair with Nathaniel Branden, is glossed of in less than 15 seconds. So I recommend seeing "The Passion of Ayn Rand" for more on that story. A word to the wise: if you buy both this DVD and "The Passion of Ayn Rand", I suggest watching this one first. It will give you a more complete understanding of her background.

Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life [Import]
Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life [Import] by Michael Paxton (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 37.55 CDN$ 37.38