5.0 out of 5 stars A Challenging Look At An Old Story
I have seen this video 3 times and am thrilled to be able to purchase the DVD.
Published on Feb. 17 2003 by Myrna Hiebert

3.0 out of 5 stars No English Subtitles
While I stand by my earlier review of the movie Jesus de Montreal, the DVD which just arrived is disappointing in having neither English subtitles or a dubbed English version. I have seen this movie with both so I know they exist but neither is on the DVD. It is still a beautiful movie but I'm afraid I miss some of the complexity of the dialogue (actually, most of it!).
Published on March 18 2003 by Myrna Hiebert

5.0 out of 5 stars A Challenging Look At An Old Story, Feb. 17 2003
Myrna Hiebert - See all my reviews
I have seen this video 3 times and am thrilled to be able to purchase the DVD.
Those who are looking for a straightforward retelling of the story of Jesus' life should look elsewhere. If you find it upsetting to see people asking questions about faith, the questions this movie raises may disturb you. However, for those who enjoy thinking about what it means to live according to the principles that Jesus taught in the face of contemporary North American culture, this movie is a "must see".
The basic premise of this movie is that the priest in charge of Montreal's annual passion play invites a group of actors, some of which have been doing quite unsavory types of work just previously, to update the play. When the changes they make upset the political hierarchy (much as Jesus' teaching did 2000 years ago)conflict builds to tragedy. I don't want to spoil the movie by going into details of plot or character. Suffice it to say that both are complex and yet work together to create a thoroughly satisfying work of art.
What can I say? I love this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Canadian Film, March 25 2011
Gary Fuhrman "gnox" (Manitoulin Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jesus of Montreal (Version française) [Import] (DVD)
This is one of my top ten films (out of several hundred i've seen) from any country -- the script is brilliant and razor-sharp, the performances marvellous, the scope of it stunning; very few films are so deeply moving and yet hilarious at times (though Arcand's "Barbarian Invasions" comes very close). The film also rates a 10 for trenchant social comment, philosophical depth and soaring music. But the main reason i'm adding a review here is that it bothers me to see the film's "star" rating dragged down by a raft of reviewers who gave one star to an earlier DVD version because it lacked English subtitles. The Koch Lorber version is not lacking in this respect, as the subtitles are fairly well done, and the sound is quite good too. Visually this DVD is disappointing, as it presents a film shot in 1.85:1 in a 4:3 format, and the picture cries out for remastering. But as of 2012, the Koch Lorber is the only half-decent DVD of an incomparable cinematic masterpiece. I would give it 15 stars if i could.

5.0 out of 5 stars English subtitles now available, Nov. 23 2004
This review is from: Jesus of Montreal (Version française) [Import] (DVD)
Thank god someone has finally released Jesus of Montreal on DVD with English subtitles. It appears that the new DVD release published in November 2004 by Koch Lorber is now available from Amazon. Oddly, the package artwork and slogan ("passion is absurd"? Give me a break!) bear no relationship to the film. Hopefully the odd marketing does not reflect on the quality of the film transfer and subtitles.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite film, Feb. 14 2004
James T. Shaw (Omaha, Nebraska USA) - See all my reviews
Jesus of Montreal is an allegory in which a troupe of actors experience the life of Jesus of Nazareth as they strive to rework a passion play to make it more contemporary and "relevant." I first saw the film in 1990, and it touched me deeply, challenging me to reconsider my understanding of Christian faith. Great art strikes home, and no other film has given me such cause to ponder. It remains my favorite film.
BEWARE, however, because as other reviewers have warned, the DVD edition Amazon sells provides no English subtitles for the French dialog. My copy arrived in the mail today, and I am returning it to Amazon unopened. I should have paid more attention to what the other reviewers wrote.
It appears that an edition with English subtitles has been released in Europe and Australia, but it is in PALS format and not compatible with Region 1 (NTSC) DVD players. Such a disappointment, as my French is just not adequate to the task without some support from the subtitles.

3.0 out of 5 stars No English Subtitles, March 18 2003
Myrna Hiebert - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars SHAME!, Feb. 14 2004
Shame on the producers of this DVD for not including English subtitles. Shame on Amazon.com for not drawing our attention to this. UNLESS YOU ARE FLUENT IN FRENCH, DO NOT BUY THIS DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars French Film, Sept. 13 2006
J. Leblanc (Canada) - See all my reviews
"I certainly won't be purchasing this title until that problem is rectified."

sounds like boycotting a french film because it's not available in english. I just wanted to say that a lot of french people have to learn english because things aren't available in french. You can't learn a language just to watch a film but I'd rather write to people who can change that and 'request' than to leave a comment making it seem like this french DVD is disadvantageous.

2.0 out of 5 stars Légère déception, Oct. 23 2011
This review is from: Jesus of Montreal (Version française) [Import] (DVD)
Je suis heureux d'avoir en mains cette copie difficile à trouver autrement que par Amazon. Cependant, la copie que j'ai visionnée a été surdimensionnée pour grand écran et l'image manque de qualité.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this film, but the full frame transfer is a shame, May 19 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jesus of Montreal (Version française) [Import] (DVD)
A group of young actors put on an updated, radical version of the
passion play, and find new meanings in their lives, spiritual and
otherwise along the way.

At the same time, they battling the hypocrisy of the Church that asked
them to 'freshen up' the text, but are unprepared for a questioning,
complex work of art.

Sometimes the symbolic references to the Bible are too literal and
heavy handed. And some of the satire of Montreal's shallow bourgeois
art lovers and sell-out advertisers is way too on the nose. But there's
something powerful in the film's moments of ambiguity and in the
fragile humanity of it's characters.

And the actual passion play itself - full of doubt and using
archaeological history to question more literal, fundamentalist
interpretations of the Bible is both intellectually fascinating and
moving.

Flawed, but it haunts me.

This release is in full-frame, not wide screen, which drives me crazy.
However, if you have a region free player (which you should. The players
are not that expensive, and a number of them are listed on Amazon), there
is a wide-screen region 2 version available on Amazon UK that looks
quite good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Five star movie, one star DVD -- NEEDS A REISSUE!, Feb. 9 2004
I echo the comments of another recent reviewer -- it is inexcusable for a DVD -- a DVD, for Pete's sake! -- not to feature an English-language subtitle option. Even the VHS release offered this! What was the studio thinking? There aren't ANY subtitles offered, according to the packaging. What's next -- the Betamax version? It's a brilliant film, and I speak a little French myself, but not enough to follow this extremely Quebecois film with the understanding it deserves. I'm returning my copy unopened for a refund after reading the warning here. After waiting a long time for a DVD release, this is extremely disappointing. I hope a better thought-out reissue will soon be made available, for non-expert francophones.
Until the studio gets it right, stick to the VHS tape if you aren't a fluent French-speaker. It's a great film, but this DVD is a terrible treatment.

Jesus of Montreal (Version française) [Import]