5.0 out of 5 stars Keep watching this "Sky"!!!
As amateur pyrotechnicians, my friend and I were intrigued by the title "Fire in the Sky." We eagerly watched the movie to see how the filmmakers accomplished this difficult special effect.
Published on Sept. 24 2003 by cousinpaco

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Has Exceptions.
Published on April 12 2003 by Robert Blake

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the book... but its all fiction folks., Oct. 22 2003
OverTheMoon (overthemoonreview@hotmail.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
I loved this film. It was very well done and should be on DVD.
In its day, this movie about an alien abduction experience, was something of a shocker. In a nutshell, a group of young men working as lumberjacks drive home one evening only to be stopped in their tracks by a glowing object in the sky. They get out of their vehicle, Travis Walton gets beamed up, the rest flee. Back in the town, and without Travis, they have to explain his disappearance. People start suspecting that one of them killed Travis and so a missing persons/possible homicide investigation gets underway. The men are given a polygraph test - they pass, and so they seem to be telling the truth about Travis and the UFO.
Then Travis turns up five days later and doesn't look the best. He tells a story about an alien abduction and he becomes a national celebrity.
All in all a 4 star movie and it is quite interesting, but it has two major problems.
(1)The movie has totally twisted the original story which can be found in the book by the same name.
(2)The book and Travis Waltons story have been completely bedunked. Its all a big hoax.
Learn more about the hoax in my review of the book.
Great flick though and worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep watching this "Sky"!!!, Sept. 24 2003
cousinpaco (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
Lo and behold, it was actually a movie about alien abduction--and it's based on a (supposedly) true story! Riding the leading edge of the "extraterrestrial" wave of the mid-1990s, "FITS" dramatizes the story of logger Travis Walton, who claims to have been abducted by aliens in rural mountain country. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.
*SPOILER ALERT*
Now, most movies of this sort tend to dance around the aliens' purpose--which makes sense, since nobody actually KNOWS the aliens' purpose. What sets "FITS" apart is its flat-out depiction of what the visitors are after: they eat people. Travis is cocooned in a honeycomb (not the cereal) style cell, but wakes up and frees himself. He discovers the half-consumed corpse of a fellow abductee, and freaks out. He is then re-captured by the aliens and probed. That seems like an odd progression of events, but hey--they're aliens.
Of course, Travis escaped this ordeal so he could tell the story--which means we get to see some of the fallout when he tries to re-acclimate himself to non-probing, human society (I'd imagine his next trip to the proctologist would ignite an intergalatic version of a Vietnam flashback). As one would imagine, the trauma played havoc with his personal and professional lives; nobody wants to hire a logger with a history of alien-abduction. Interestingly, the film stops short of showing how Travis' life was improved by selling the major-motion-picture rights to his story.
D.B. Sweeney ("the Maestro"), Robert Patrick, and James Garner all contribute salt-of-the-Earth performances, and what special effects there are do a decent job of making the movie kind of spooky. I'm on the fence about whether or not Earth, and in particular any low-population-density area, has ever been visited by otherworldly beings...but I can't deny that it's fun to watch movies about 'em.
I just hope the aliens don't read THIS!
- cousinpaco

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Has Exceptions., April 12 2003
Robert Blake (Santa Monica, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
The Travis Walton case remains one of he most popular in the folklore of alien abduction stories. I think the mere fact a movie was actually produced about it proves it's resonance. But, alas, the movie almost works if not for two main problems: It has too much of a vague, quick pace and it is not even accurate as according to Walton's description of the abduction experience in the book. The movie as a movie isn't too bad, there's some good acting, and some story elements which might seem cliché don't seem too out of place here. The best scenes involve the encounter with the UFO and the frightening experience within. These are, one must admit, some of the most realistic scenes of supposed alien abduction ever made. They are indeed intense and scary, making one wish he/she never gets abducted by aliens (even if you don't believe in them). However, the fault for someone who already is familiar with the Walton case is that these scenes both disappoint and effect. They affect because they are realistic, but they disappoint because they never resemble for a second what Walton describes in his book. In it he writes about the aliens looking like humans and giving him a tour of the ship etc. etc., pretty nice and hospitable extraterrestrials, but in the film they are small, hairless beings who treat Walton like helpless cattle and force him to go through a horrible exeprience involving medical experiments. What's the deal? Does the movie want to entertain us or make us believe? The movie as a whole successes in keeping the viewer wondering, especially in the scenes where Walton is still missing and everyone theorizes where he has gone. The ending is too quick and answers nothing, a few more minutes and we might have at least gotten information on Walton writing the book and going back to a normal workday. But alas, this is all we get, it works, but deserves a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent movie, best part is the experiment, March 22 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
I remembered watching this movie with my dad and i thought it was just another alien abdudction movie, whoopdeedoo. Then came the part where the syrup falls into his mouth and he recollects all the events he encountered while he was inside the spaceship. I am pretty certain however, that what the aliens did to him in that experiment room never actually occured. They cover him with some sort of blanket that melts onto his skin and he just starts screaming so they put the blanket over his head. Then they start doing this experiment where they use clamps and needles, at one point it looks like he's about to take a needle in the eye (ouch!). I'm sure if they did something like that he still wouldn't be around today. But even so, that's the best part of this movie. D.B. Sweeney acting skills really show through in that sequence. The rest of the movie is based on Travis's friends telling the police what happened and what led up to it, then trying to prove to everyone they didn't murder Travis. All in all it is a good movie, but I suggest you don't let your kids see it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes you wonder if we belong to a cosmic zoo, Aug. 17 2002
Agostino Ambrosio (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
Fire in the Sky is striking for its statement: superior "entities" (whether they come from outer space, from another reality, or simply from the witness imagination) are neither necessarily benevolent...nor bad...or good, they might simply consider us as lab rats. It is with detachment and indifference that they examine their catches. We are abducted, restrained, examined, tagged, preserved, killed or simply released in our "safe" reality, depending on what they (the entities) feel might be useful for them. Like catching a fish, just for the pleasure of it, and then throwing the fish back in the water. Do we feel guilty in doing this ? It is very interesting to note that these aliens are quite similar to us: same anthropomorphic appearance and same cruelty but very scary face features. Demons. They might in fact be a mirror image of us. A manifestation of our deep subconscious nightmares, alternate life options born from the same collective unconscious. A movie you will not forget that easily because it sounds so real. Not for children and sensible persons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes you wonder if we belong to a cosmic zoo., Aug. 15 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
Fire in the Sky is striking for it's statement: superior intelligent "entities" (wether they come from outer space or from another reality) are not necessarily benevolent...nor bad...or good, they might simply consider us as lab rats. It is with detachment and indifference that they examine their catches. We are abducted, restrained, examined, tagged, preserved, killed or simply released in our "safe" reality, depending on what they feel might be useful for them. Like catching a fish, just for the pleasure of it, and then trowing the fish back in the water. Do we feel guilty in doing this ? It is very interesting to note that these aliens are quite similar to us: same anthropomorphic appearence and same cruelty. They might in fact be a miror image of us. A manifestation of our deep subconscious nightmares, alternate life options born from the same collective unconscious. These events revive the old debate about what is Reality. A movie, wether based or not on a "true" story, you will not forget that easily. Not for children and sensible persons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did they choose to shoot it this way?, April 16 2002
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
I'm still struggling to not hold it against a movie when they take a supposedly true story, keep a basic skeleton, and basically rewrite it. I should try to see if the movie stands on it's own. With fiction, this is easier. With supposed true stories, I have a bigger problem.
Yes, the movie strays big time when it comes to the part we really want to see, which is what Travis Walton claims to have seen in the spaceship. The movie completely ignores that he claims to have seen human-looking creatures as well as aliens. Why this wasn't even tried to be portrayed, I have not idea. So if I'm seeing this big omission as something to be critical about, yes, I'm disappointed.
But what if I didn't know the "actual" story? How does the film stack up on it's own. Well, first, they spend way too much time setting up for the "good" parts. We didn't really need to see that Travis is somewhat of a free spirit. We don't need to see how he wants to marry his boss's sister. And we don't need to know the chemistry of the crew he works on.
What we do need to see is more time inside the spaceship. I don't know if the movie had budget problems, but once they constructed the set, why not use it more. And yes, throw in the human-looking creatures. And spend more time with the adventures AFTER the incident, instead of too much before it.
That aside, it's not that bad a movie. We do care about the characters, and the D.B. Sweeney portray of Travis does show fear well, both as the incidents happen, as well as the aftermath. It also shows a good performance by a pre-"Terminator 2" and pre-"X-files" Robert Patrick. And James Garner delivers his usual comforting performance.
I wish they could have seen the movie, tossed it out, and started all over again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch it, and decide if it's true!, Nov. 14 2001
D. M. Farmbrough "Dave Farmbrough" (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
A seemingly standard alien abduction story until you realise it was based on a real person's account of one of these occurrences. The story is made more interesting by concentration on personal relationships within the affected group of men and a lot of time shifting and flashbacks within the framing device of a series of police interviews. The script, from Star Trek's Tracy Tormé is intelligent and subtle, spending time developing the characters, as well as exploring what the spaceship might have looked like. The special effects aren't that special, and the alien creatures (admittedly in Travis's head) are almost literal copies of those used in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.
James Garner is under-used although he acquits himself well, and Robert Patrick is not charismatic enough to hold a lead role (Although the X-Files may yet prove me wrong). I would have preferred it if they had made Michael and Travis look a little ore different from each other, as I was constantly confusing the two. The rest of the cast is pretty good, if lacking the star status that could have lifted the film. The action is well paced throughout the film, making fight scenes between two men look as dramatic as those involving spaceships. I recommend you watch this, then decide how much of it really happened. ***

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch it, and decide if it's true!, Nov. 14 2001
D. M. Farmbrough "Dave Farmbrough" (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff, Sept. 22 2001
BENJAMIN MILER (Veneta, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire in the Sky (VHS Tape)
Fire in the Sky was originally a book that was made in to a 1993 movie. I haven't read the book, but I am fully aware of Travis Walton thanks to Art Bell's radio program, documentaries like Overlords of the UFO and countless books on UFOs. I am really amazed at how historically accurate the movie is. The actors, though from 1993, look like they really came out of 1975, the clothing, the hairstyles, the vehicles they drove, the music they listened to. The movie does seem a bit inconsistent to what Travis Walton had actually said. For example, when he returned back five days later, the movie portrayed him as returning naked, when in reality he still had his clothes on. Some of the other content of the movie seemed to exist just to give viewers the creeps so it might be overexaggerated in places. One scene is where the aliens do a gruesome experiment on him by placing some sort of membrane-like blanket over him and his head while the aliens place weird goo in his mouth while using weird machines on him. From what I remember was Walton himself don't remember the aliens doing experiments on him. I guess some of the content of this movie existed for "artistic liscence" rather than being 100% factual. But whatever the case, this is the ultimate scary movie, and if you love this sort of stuff, don't forget to check out the movie adaptation of Whitley Strieber's Communion, that one too really gave me the creeps as well and had trouble sleeping the night I seen both movies.

Fire in the Sky
Fire in the Sky by Robert Lieberman (DVD)
CDN$ 53.60