march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on April 2, 2012
All i have to say is about this expresso machine is 1. built very solid 2. very good tasting expresso ,since we had it me and my wife make are selfs a double expresso every morning and beleive me we have to use self control not to drink 2 or 3 of them in a row. i have 7 breville products and im fully satisfied.
on April 14, 2016
I bought this for a friend who has 3 years of barista experience, and I (not a barista) have been using it daily for about 4 months now.

Build quality: Most surfaces are stainless steel except the front panel with the power switch and drip tray. The top (cup-warming plate) is cast metal. Overall it feels pretty sturdy. The machine itself isn't very large, so don't expect to be heating many cups on it. The portafilter is not bad, but the spouts at the bottom seem to be plastic, so don't press them against the table when you're tamping the espresso.

Functionality:
- It takes about 15 minutes to properly heat up. If you don't heat it up, the steam wand will spit out a ton of water before it starts to shoot steam, so watch out for this. The steam that comes out is a bit weak and uneven, and you should let out some steam to see that it normalizes before you use it each time.
- My unit came with a metal sheath around the steam wand that extends past the steam wand tip. It's not shown in the Amazon photo. If you want to steam your milk precisely, you have to take this off (maybe this is the 'froth enhancer' in the description but it's useless - remove it). I see a black thing over the steam wand in the thumbnail, and mine did not come with that (maybe that's the froth enhancer?). Mine also came with porcelain espresso cups (not stainless).
- The steam wand moves laterally but not up and down. Additionally, it's quite short. This isn't a big problem if you just use the provided frothing jug, but the jug is actually quite small and easy to overflow. If you buy a bigger frothing jug, you have a new problem because there isn't much space between the steam wand and the drip tray which gets in the way. On that note, you won't find a lot of space for a cup under there either, so if you're making a latte, use a flat, wide cup.
- The included filters are double-walled (i.e. pressurized). Don't remove the portafilter right after you pull the shot, as the pressure takes a bit of time to go away (or you'll spray yourself).
- The included espresso tamp is on the end of the espresso scoop - the item is plastic. The tamp is slightly too small for the filter size and awkward to use due to the spoon at the other end.

Overall, after a few months of use, It's already paid itself off in value because I've saved a ton of money that I would have otherwise spent at coffee shops. It's sturdy and will last you many years, I'm sure - but if you become more interested in making high-quality espressos and lattes, you will definitely have to upgrade from this machine.
on January 7, 2016
Disclaimer: I've only had it for less than a week, so I can't comment on how long the product will last.

However, I tried it the night it came and have used it every morning since, and I love it! The espresso made produces a good amount of crema (which I've learned is important). I haven't become an espresso drinker yet so I'm frothing up some milk for a latte before work. It's delicious - so much so that I'm drinking it without sugar (not normally how I drink coffee).

This is obviously a much more manual machine that others I've seen. You have to measure out the coffee grounds, turn off the water once it's poured enough, froth your own milk, etc. (versus more automated machines where you basically push a button and it does all the work). But you're getting what you paid for.

As you can probably tell, I'm a novice to this whole thing so I really don't have any complaints. It was easy to figure out using the instructions and takes me maybe 5 minutes to make my latte. I would definitely recommend.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 2, 2014
After much research I purchased this unit to replace an old Tassimo. We use a Keurig to make coffee, but I was never happy with the quality of the espresso from our Tassimo - to be expected from a pod machine. Now I grind my own espresso beans and I couldn't be happier with the quality of espresso that comes out of this reasonably priced maker. Excellent crema, and I like that the control is manual so I can make double long shots easily.

My only complaint is with the steam wand. It doesn't move up and down, which makes its use a little difficult. Also, you really need to prime it to get through the initial operating phase which essentially just spews water. The water continues to drip throughout use, which can also make your milk a little watery. I've switched from 1% milk to 3% milk and it produces a thicker foam with no watery taste.

For cappuccinos, a separate milk frother is a necessity as this one won't make near enough foam.

All in all, an excellent buy for the price. After a month of VERY heavy use, I haven't had an issue with blockages like some of the reviewers, however we also use RO water and keep the machine very clean.
on May 8, 2013
Unfortunately the first machine we got lasted for two days and three mochas, then the steam pump failed. With proof of purchase and an explanation of the problem breville quickly agreed to send a courier to pick up he old machine and bring us a new one. The new one arrived broken, so again they sent a courier. I was expecting the worst from the 3rd machine after that string of bad luck, but I have happily been proven wrong.

This is a great little machine, it makes a stellar espresso with perfect crema. If you have no coffee shop experience it will take you a few tries to get the hang of grinding and tamping a top notch shot, but well worth the effort. Keep that receipt, and all the accessories, which you will need for a return, just in case you happen to get a flunk!

A couple hints: pre warm your milk a little, or remove the steam enhancer so you can get the milk nice and hot without over frothing.

Run the steam into a cup beforehand to get it started, and into a cup of water after to keep dried milk from blocking the steam opening.

If this is brevilles least expensive espresso machine model the next one up must be pretty great, because I can't imagine a little household machine making anything much better than what this puts out.
on March 2, 2013
This is the perfect machine for beginners. Simple, easy to use and its compact size doesn't take over all the counter space you have in your kitchen. I was really surprised with how quickly the machine heats up. As I finesses my espresso making skills I will likely look for a machine that has the capability to heat and froth the milk a little faster. At this point in time, this little machine is perfect.
on April 1, 2011
After one year to the day, steamer not working, repaired under warranty, no cost.

One week after repair (not sure what?), water leaking over filter, $100 to repair water problem. (replace pump)

First use after that, worked for 3 minutes, brewed, no steam.

Taking back AGAIN, very frustrated.

Always cleaned after each use and decalcified regularly during first year. Hasn't worked after 1st year!!!!
on May 22, 2014
It is an attractive compact machine. As others have reported, it makes good expresso but the foamer for milk is a little weak. All in all though a good value
on October 7, 2014
Ok, so after owning a VERY expensive automated machine for over 10 years my expectations of this product were very high. Positive feedback from friends who owned this machine made the difference between repairing my Seaco (having invested 250$ for repair 10 months ago) and purchasing this machine.

So happy I purchased, yes we have to learn how to use this model correctly ... use the correct grind, use the correct amount of coffee and water.... but this is a very fast learning curve. The result is that we now experience the variations in the subtleties of tastes depending on the beans.

Small countertop footprint is another bonus with minimal cleaning and maintenance. The accessories included with this product are also added value, everything you need to get a great coffee within mins. of delivery.
on November 15, 2010
I'm not a coffee expert by any means but I find that this makes very good espresso, great for making Lattes, Americano's and Cappuccinos. We got hooked on these drinks while spending time in Europe and wanted to make them at home, and this machine does the job very well. If you are wondering if you can make drinks as good as what you might buy at starbucks, etc. the answer is definitley yes, although it partially depends on the espresso that you use. The crema is really nice shot after shot and you can also make two shots at once which is perfect for my needs. The steam wand works well, although i find that its a good idea to run it for a few seconds before putting it into the milk as it spits out a bit of water initially. As a bonus it also comes with a couple of espresso cups (the ones we recieved are white porcelain, not stainless steel as pictured) and a small frothing pitcher. If you are looking for your first espresso machine I think this is a great choice.