4.0 out of 5 stars I know how to make coffee
So I bought this as a gift for my partner. He was a barista when he was younger and I have been a barista for the last 3 years, we both know a good coffee. I have used both a manual and an automatic machine.

Setup: Simple
It comes with everything in the picture, as well as a pod, single and double shot. It also comes with a scoop, tamper, steam cup, and...
Published 17 months ago by mistdust

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good espresso, pretty awful steam feature
I was really excited about this machine after reading all the positive reviews, but sadly I have to report that I am definitely not satisfied at all with this product.

Published on Oct. 4 2012 by greenbean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome machine!, Jan. 16 2012
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
I got this through amazon.ca. I live in the Yukon and ordered on Dec. 18th: The machine was here on Dec. 22nd! That's very good for here! I used it EVERYDAY day since and it is flawless. I used different kind of espresso and it always turned out good. Coffee is hot and creamy. Steam wand works very good and gets the milk hot fast. Playing a bit with it while steaming I can control the amount of "mousse" I want. Overall a bit noisy but not bad. The machine itself is heavy enough that it won't slide on the counter while brewing. Seems well built and solid. I do clean the grinds of the seal (just a wipe with damp cloth is good) and keep the wand clean (have to remove the outer silver shell because cooked milk gets in there) once a week to be sure it keeps working well. The tool to clean it is handy too. Cleaning time is 5-10 min a week.
It's true that the water window is too dark and you can barely see through to check water level: I simply lift the water cover and look in. I did buy a better tamper (metal one at amazon for $8) because the plastic one isn't so good.
I shopped different espresso maker (less and more, way more expensive) and decided to go with this one after reading the numerous positive reviews, and also considering it's low price ($150 + free shipping): I am VERY satisfied. Don't be afraid to buy it. It's an awesome machine for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little effort, great coffee, great value, Oct. 7 2014
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
Ok, so after owning a VERY expensive automated machine for over 10 years my expectations of this product were very high. Positive feedback from friends who owned this machine made the difference between repairing my Seaco (having invested 250$ for repair 10 months ago) and purchasing this machine.

So happy I purchased, yes we have to learn how to use this model correctly ... use the correct grind, use the correct amount of coffee and water.... but this is a very fast learning curve. The result is that we now experience the variations in the subtleties of tastes depending on the beans.

Small countertop footprint is another bonus with minimal cleaning and maintenance. The accessories included with this product are also added value, everything you need to get a great coffee within mins. of delivery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good espresso, pretty awful steam feature, Oct. 4 2012
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)

Reviewers are right that it does make some pretty good espresso, but as a frequent latte drinker, the steaming feature is equally important to me and that is definitely sub-standard. I have tried everything I can think of to get this machine to produce a good pitcher of steamed milk to go with my espresso, with very limited success. My main issue is the amount of water that sprays out of the nozzle when I try to steam something (resulting in horribly watery lattes). I have read a lot of reviews and watched several youtube videos trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with the Breville machine, and have come to the conclusion that I am doing it the right way and its just an issue with how the machine is designed. I have run some tests comparing this machine to my almost 6 yr old Hamilton Beach espresso maker (which is less than 1/2 the price). I turned on the steam for both machines into an empty (dry) pitcher and the HB has almost no water after 1 min of running steam, while there are several tablespoons of water after 1 min with the Breville machine. I have even let the Breville machine purge its initial water that builds up before collecting the steam and still collect a significant amount of water. With my old HB machine there is only a few drops of water build up that come out when it starts steaming so no initial purge was necessary. My guess as to the reason there is so much water with the Breville machine is that it doesn't have a way to preheat for steam, so you turn the knob to steam and it is constantly fighting to get up to temperature (even though the temperature light has already gone off and it seems like it should be hot enough). The HB machine has a preheat button for steam, which works much better than the weird knob on the Breville, and results in better steamed milk in 1/2 the time. Also with the HB, I can control the amount of steam that comes out, while with the Breville the steam is either on or off.

Another thing to note about the Breville espresso maker is that it is LOUD. And it makes a slightly disconcerting thumping heartbeat sound when you are using the steam feature. These are not deal-breakers for me, but it should be noted.

Sadly, I think I will be returning the Breville espresso machine and can't recommend it to anyone who wants to make lattes at home. It does make pretty good espresso though and it does have a nice design so it looks pretty on the counter, so if that's what you are looking for, perhaps you will enjoy using this machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars ... this machine cold coffee and messy macine do not waste your money, Oct. 4 2014
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
I drink esspresso for 40 years I made the mistake of buying this machine cold coffee and messy machine do not waste your money !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting Espresso, June 12 2014
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
What a great little machine, and a fantastic price! While vacationing recently we had a nespresso machine in our room. Great espresso but real expensive machine and capsules. With the Breville you can use any brand of Esoresso Coffee and the machine is a great cost. Friends of ours told us about this exact machine and had done the shopping so as soon as we returned from our vacation we purchased the breville! Every day at 3pm I become our resident barista! Easy to clean, easy to fill up reservoir, solidly built and great milk frother option built in!
You can't go wrong, buy this machine. Also looks great on the counter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville Rocks !, Sept. 23 2014
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
This is our second Breville Espresso machine, we used the first one for years and years until we wore it out, so of course we replaced it with another Breville…The number of 'bars ' seems to mean something important with an Espresso machine, it has to do with how much pressure the pump has…this model has 15 bars…you can spend up to 4 times more on a machine and it still only has 15 bars, if you are lucky…The price is right and the service has been terrific, and Amazon will deliver it to your door :)
What's not to love….

5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine, Sept. 14 2013
M. Des Lauriers (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
Very easy to use compared with my first (another brand) machine. I like the dial being a bit stiffer, where other reviewers did not like this. The large dial handle makes it easy to turn, so I would rather it be stiff than loose. Start out with buying the best ground Italian espresso so you can see what it is supposed to taste and look like and then branch out to grinding your own. I appreciate the extras with a frothing pitcher, pin cleaner in case anything clogs, espresso cups and saucers. The process works very quickly so you can get your espresso or variation before you run out the door in the morning. Big bonus - a regular mug will fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent machine for the money, Aug. 8 2013
M. Weinberg (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
After using this machine for a few months, I can say it's a pretty solid machine that will pull a respectable shot consistently. Things I like: It comes with two size coffee inserts (single or double), it heats up pretty quickly (less than 1 min), it comes with a few cups, the espresso shot has a nice crema, and it's pretty easy to clean. I've only used the steamer wand a few times, and that worked fine too. Main criticism is that it's relatively loud, but really not too bad. It's not the kind of shot you'd get from a very expensive machine, but in this price range, I'm happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars One or two cups a day: enjoy!, July 16 2013
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
Handling is simple and easy to learn: for me as a newbie in espressoing, it works just as advertised. Maybe one complaint though: machine vibrates somewhat during extraction so the cup has to be put back / kept in place. This is probably due to the light weight size of this for-home-use-only machine. Overall, a great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING little machine for entry coffee lovers, March 28 2013
This review is from: Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL (Kitchen)
I bought this device 4 months ago for my girlfriend and myself in order to save the $20-30 we were spending at Timmy's weekly, This is a basic but hard working little machine, lacking in the bells and whistles of the higher end Breville machines but more then making up for it in reliability and the low price point.

Positives so far:

Heats up very fast - ready to go in under a minute usually, can do 2-3 drinks between chargers.
The included kit is nice - very high quality, a nice little bonus considering this unit is pretty inexpensive when on sale.
Easy to handle - only one switch is nice, very straight forward to use, went from never touching an espresso machine to making drinks that taste better then Starbucks in a day or so.

Negatives so far:

Bigger cups wont fit - Large / some normal sized mugs wont fit between the base and the press, can be annoying.
Spouts are uneven - I found that my unit tends to flow unevenly, right side flowing much faster then the left.
Milk forther tends to get "jammed" by milk - water will come out instead of steam sometimes for few seconds. Tried to run it after use to clear future jams, but will still jam up and spray water instead of steam.

Over all, very happy with the purchase, will consider moving up to higher end unit in the future with more features that this device is lacking.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›