5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!!
This is a beautiful cd and my absolute favourite of Loreena's. More imaginative, mystical and creative than her previous recordings, I would highly recommend this to anyone.
Published on May 24 2007 by Music Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars some songs stand out
Published on Feb. 4 2004 by Brian McNugget

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!!, May 24 2007
Music Lover "Ab" (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mask And Mirror (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., June 13 2004
Andrew Fleming (Decatur, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
My friend advised me to buy this CD, so I did. And WOW! It's so pretty! Her voice is amazing! Almost everything my friend suggest me to buy is **Really good** but this is the best of them yet! Now I long for more of her music...
Song number three is good for a story... very pretty, talking about love and night. Number four has this nice touch to it that makes me want to hear it over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars "All for the love of you . . .", May 12 2004
"pale_eye" (MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
Indeed. Or rather, quite. Or shall I say... well you get it. The point is that this is Loreena McKennitt at her most -- how shall we say this? -- mystical? Eerie doesn't quite work... Dream-like perhaps? Well suffice it to say that Elemental was thoroughly folk, The Book of Secrets was a neutral new age work of art, and this, this is in a realm all its own.
One can see this easily when one hears the chanting that opens "The Mystic's Dream." Loreena McKennitt in my opinion is better than Enya, and this because there are more layers to her music. Enya has a lovely voice and makes lovely music, mind you, but Loreena McKennitt captures the feel and essence of her subject whether this be a mystic or a lover, Prospero or what have you.
If I didn't know better I might venture to say that "The Mask and Mirror" is slightly darker than McKennitt's other work. Why do I say this? I haven't the foggiest. Perhaps because the elements presented are more or less beneath the surface. This is difficult to explain right here on an Amazon review but I would strongly suggest that you purchase this CD and just see for yourself what I mean.
All things said and done. Buy it. Enjoy it. Thank yourself profusely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best effort, March 3 2004
T Bradford Wilemon "T Brad" (McDonald Observatory. TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
Masterful and complete work. One of the finest music recordings of the 90's. Lush, exotic, and compelling in every sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Spectacular, March 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
Loreena McKennit has the ability to take music from different societies and combine them in such a way that they sound as though they were always meant to be together. Coupled with her voice, this CD has instantly risen to the top of my "Music to re-group to" category.
A few candles, a bubblebath, and you no longer reside in this plane of existence.

5.0 out of 5 stars CELTIC SONGSTRESS, Feb. 29 2004
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
CELTIC SINGER/SONGWRITER/FOLK SINGER, LOREENA MCKENNITT IS ASOLUTELY AMAZONG. EVERY SONG ON THIS ALBUM IS BRILLAINT. THE BEST SONGS ARE BASED MAINLY ON HER IRISH/CELTIC HERITAGE.
HER VOICE IS ANGELIC AND HER HARP IS DIVINE. I LISTEN TO EACH OF HER ALBUMS IN THE CAR EVERY NIGHT TO CALM ROAD RAGE!!!! SHE MAKES THE LISTENER FEEL IN TOUCH WITH NATURE AND HUMANITY.

3.0 out of 5 stars some songs stand out, Feb. 4 2004
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
I found the cover art interesting so I borrowed this CD from the library one day. It is a quite interesting album. I chose track 2, 6, and 7 as my favorites. Track 7 has an awesome intro. Beautiful cinematic elegance. :) But listening to this music i sometimes wished the singer would hush up and let me just appreciate the instruments in the background. She is a talented singer but it kinda sounds like she's changing her voice to suit some sort of atmosphere she was trying to create perhaps? in my oppinion it sounds like shes reading a story to kindergartners at times. kinda breathy and psuedo-enthralled. But the rhythms and instruments and stuff all combine against the vocals for a very full sound. Violins on this CD are wild! So is the tinkery dinkery percussion. Quite a 'cultural' experience to listen to. I just think that as a full CD, some songs arent so memorable as others.

4.0 out of 5 stars blessing, Dec 7 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
I lover her music...such a talent.If you like celtic music you might want to check out ''Tia Knight''as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful, Nov. 18 2003
Stephanie (I'm in a world of light) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
Honestly, this is the best voice in the world. She should be more famous than those untalented people who sing stupid songs these days. She writes beautiful songs, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best work of Fusion Music, Nov. 16 2003
Jorge Valenzuela (Chile, South America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mask and Mirror (Audio CD)
"Ce He Mise le Ulaingt? (The Two Trees)", a beautiful song of celtic and scottish roots. "Marrakesh Night Market", you forget that Loreena is canadian of irish origin, because with that song you think that you're listening an arabic artist, with arabic musicians, but singing in english. "Prospero's Speech", ¿perhaps you don't feel transported to the time of Shakespeare?. "Santiago", this is a great medieval melody with modern instruments, including that simulation of an outburst of laughter almost the end. "Bonny Swans", again to the celtic melodys, but this time with pop rythms. "Mystic's Dream", fusion of new age, medieval and arabic rythms. "Full Circle", completly new age. And "Dark Night of the Soul", another mixes of medieval melody with the celtic style.
AGAIN LOREENA, THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT TALENT.

ARRAY(0xb3e106d8)

The Mask And Mirror
The Mask And Mirror by Loreena McKennitt (Audio CD - 2005)