4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series
The box set fits together, well made.
Kind of redundant now that the 6th Rocky came out.
If you like Rocky worth picking up.
Published 13 months ago by Matrixx19

3.0 out of 5 stars Your mileage will vary
These movies are really a part of popular culture. While they are often looked at as "guy" movies, quite a few of us Ladies enjoy Sly Stallone as the Italian Stallion! Allow me to take a brief look at each film:
Rocky I: Must I say the first is the best? This is a very well-written movie, and also well acted. Stallone received two Academy Award (aka Oscar)...
Published on April 20 2003 by SpookyChick

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, March 13 2013
The box set fits together, well made.
Kind of redundant now that the 6th Rocky came out.
If you like Rocky worth picking up.

4.0 out of 5 stars His Entire Life Was A Million To One Shot, July 3 2004
Darko (London, KY USA) - See all my reviews
American classics only come along once in awhile. Films like Star Wars, The Godfather, and The Terminator are among many. Sometimes you say to yourself, "If that movie never existed, it would have a real effect on culture today." And you're quite right. Star Wars brought us immortal lines like "Luke, I AM your father." and "May the force be with you." The Godfather brought the American fascination with the mafia to life. Just think, No Godfather, No Sopranos. And The Terminator established Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Cameron's careers as well as the "technology gone wrong" and "I'm from the future" genres. Yes, films like these have believe it or not had an effect on everyone. And who can forget the world's sporting people. Everyone who participates in sports has to train hard and balance their personal lives with their professional lives. When I played basketball in high school, I had to. And we all need something to motivate us. To drive us. And being a film fanatic, I got my inspiration from a movie. That movie Was Rocky. Sylvester Stallone's masterwork series that showed us the stages of a man's life through his sport of boxing. From his one shot that put him on the map (Part 1), to his rematch that won him a world title (Part 2), to a rise and settlement, loss, and redemption (Part 3), to a burning vengeance (Part 4), to a retirement, betrayal, and final fight(Part 5). This series shows us that you can be the poorest, dumbest guy in the country, and become a legend just by taking your one chance. Now these movies are on DVD in a beautifully crafted boxed set. Now you can enjoy one man's journey from zero to hero anytime with a great DVD transfer and good special features on the first disc only (didn't understand that one.). This movie can change your life. Now, I recommend the first Rocky over them all because it's very realistic and humanistic. I recommend Rocky 2 as a good sequel with a shocking conclusion. Rocky 3 was the best sequel not only because of the performances of Hulk Hogan and the talented Mr. T, but because it shows how fame can cloud your mind and how putting bitter rivalries and materials behind to regain your drive can help you overcome. Rocky 4 was my least favorite not only for a far fetched storyline and that damned robot, but because it lost it's humanism to go for the revenge plot.Plus it was Stallone's blatant "let's end the Cold War" peace offering. It was saved by good performances, a great fight sequence, a cool villianous contender, and good 80's music. It also screws up the timeline of the story a bit. Rocky 5 regained the humanism and returned Rocky and Adrian back to their roots and it was good because it was different. Rocky had one fight, and it was one hell a fight- on the street. Plus it showed how quick trusting someone else in the fighting game can destroy you. These movies are all good but if you have to see any of them I rank them 1,3,2,5,4.

4.0 out of 5 stars This anthology is not for those who love "Rocky" films, but for those who like them, July 22 2007
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rocky Anthology (DVD)
I picked up the "Rocky Anthology" when it was on super-sale because getting five movies, including an Oscar winner for Best Picture, for under $20 is a pretty good deal. My assumption was that they were pushing this anthology to make room for the updated one that will include the sixth and "absolutely" last final movie. Yes, I understand that subtle psychological pressures are at play so that one day I will end up getting "Rocky Balboa" as well, thereby completing my collection, but I am okay with that because I liked the new ending to the saga a lot more than the old ending.

Ironically, this "Rocky Anthology" is not for the die hard fans of the series, because in terms of DVD extras all you really get with each film is the trailer. So this collection is more suited for those who like Rocky rather than those who love him. I am a bit in the middle because I still love the original, which is the least polished of the series but still the best of the bunch and one day I will at least check out the "Rocky" (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) because that is the one that deserves the all-out treatment. To some extent the sequels have taken some of the luster off of the original: if you message is that you can win without winning, then the rest of the series says, "Yo, but winning by winning ain't bad neither." Anyhow, here is my card on the five films:

"Rocky" (1976) is the story of a punk club fighter who gets a chance to fight for the heavyweight championship. Sylvester Stallone became the third person ever to be nominated for writing and acting Academy Awards in the same year (Charlie Chaplin for "The Great Dictator" and Orson Welles for "Citizen Kane" were the first two; Welles also got a directing nod and the following year Woody Allen would do the trifecta for "Annie Hall"). Stallone lost to Paddy Chayefsky and Peter Finch, both of "Network," but "Rocky" scored the big upset and took home the Best Picture Oscar. Why is this film the best? Let the man speak for himself: "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood." The supporting cast earned three Oscar nominations and getting Bill Conti to do the music was the final masterstroke. My only complaint with this movie is Apollo Creed is out on his feet before the bell rings and the ref should have called the fight (5.0 Stars).

"Rocky II" (1979) proved there was going to be a rematch after all. I say this in the theater, first show on opening day, and we were all screaming during the fight at the end like we were in the arena. Stallone starts directing these movies at this point and while the patented "Rocky" formula is already becoming obvious, he does pay attention to the psychology of Rocky and Apollo that forces them back into the ring. Automatic deductions for all that damn slow motion during the fight, especially the final falls (4.2 Stars).

"Rocky III" (1982) is the slickest of the bunch and the most entertaining film in the series. Yes, once again we have the end of the previous film at the start of the next one, but the montage contrasting the successful Rocky with the ascendant Clubber Lang, who is genuinely scary, is really nice. The scene with Hulk Hogan is a hoot and even though Stallone is going through the numbers again the fights are all short, sweet, and to the point (4.5 Stars).

"Rocky IV" (1985) is a painfully obvious message film. James Brown feels good in this one, but he is out of the movie before it starts to come apart. My problem is not with the ideology of this film and Rocky's plea for peace, but with the contrast between Drago's steroid induced strength and Rocky's run up the mountain training technique. A punch from Drago has an impact of almost a half-ton. I have no problem believing that the guy cannot take a bunch, but I cannot believe that Drago's haymakers do not take off Rocky's head, or at least tear his brain lose (3.5 Stars).

"Rocky V" (1990) finally deals with the brain damage that Drago must have caused, and throws in Rocky losing his fortune. Both of these are very real concerns for former boxers. Rocky trains young Tommy Gunn, ignoring his own kid in the process, as a way of reliving his former glory. When the kid betrays him, the two end up brawling on the street. I can accept that Rocky knows how to be a street fighter, but I draw the line at being able to fight when you have a concussion. The humanity that drew us to the character in the original is gone, and not in a transcendent way. However, I will give Stallone that he certainly plays out the character's flaws (3.3 Stars).

For those doing the math that works out to a 4 star rating on average, which is what you see above. A key factor seems to be the more punishment Rocky takes in the ring the less successful the film ends up being, but then if you want really realistic fights go watch "Raging Bull." I did one "Rocky" movie a day for five days and while my chances of watching "IV" and "V" again are slim and none, "Rocky" and the first two sequels will certainly get trotted out from time to time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Movies, OK DVDs, July 1 2004
Gregory Masciola (Carol Stream, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying that Rocky is my favorite movie series of all time. I won't give a short description of each movie since many reviewers have already done so.
My ratings of each movie:
ROCKY 1: 5/5; This is definitely the best movie in the series.
ROCKY 2: 4.5/5; Just about as good as the first one.
ROCKY 3: 4/5; This movie was OK. A little too 80's, but still a good movie.
ROCKY 4: 4.5/5; Not as good as the first one, but better than number 3. The only thing I didn't like about this movie is that it's a little short. 1 & 2 are 2 hours long, while this one is about 90 minutes, so it's over too soon.
ROCKY 5: 3/5; Not a bad movie, but my least favorite of the series. I kind of felt that this sequel was a bit unnecessary. It doesn't really help the series in any way, but I don't think it hurts it either.
Now that I've given my opinion of the movies, let me give my opinion of the DVD's:
ROCKY 1: Great picture quality, and great bonus features. I love watching the interview with stallone about the movie and it's nice watching Stallone and Carl Weathers practicing the fighting sequence. I also enjoy the audio commentary.
ROCKY 2: OK picture. It doesn't seem like they tried at all to clean up this movie. Also, there are just a few scenes where the audio sounds strange (when Rocky proposes) and the sound is fine on the VHS. Also, NO SPECIAL FEATURES! There have to have been scenes that were cut out, interviews, photos, SOMETHING!
ROCKY 3: Great picture and sound quality. But just like number 2, NO SPECIAL FEATURES!
ROCKY 4: Good sound, again it doesn't seem like they even attempted to clean up the picture and, again, NO SPECIAL FEATURES!
ROCKY 5: Great picture, great sound. Only one complaint. Can you guess what it is? NO SPECIAL FEATURES!
All in all, I love this series and I am so glad that it is on DVD; I just think they could have put more effort into releasing it. I mean, this is an MGM series. I always thought that Paramount and Warner Brothers were the only companies that put hardly any effort into their DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Yo Adrian!, June 18 2004
By A Customer
I love the Rocky movies. From the first to the last. Each one had something different. Yeah, it's true that the 2nd one has a lot of the first one. We see Rocky being managed by Micky, the running up the steps, the one arm puhsups and so on, but thre were some differences. Like Rocky initially wanting to bow out of the boxing business and trying to find work. The bout Adrian had and almost died. Adrian begging Rocky not to fight ever again but then changes her mind and says "Do it!" And of course this time Rocky wins.
Rocky 3 introduces Hulk Hogan and Mr. T to the world. We see Rocky lose to Clubber Lang (Mr. T) and then thanks to Apollo, he comes back to club Clubber Lang.
Rocky 4 is inspiring as we see the East vs West, the natural American vs the drug-steriod taking Russian. We lose Apollo Creed and in the end Rocky wins again.
Rocky 5 was a little disappointing at first. We see a riches to rags story as his financial man mismanages his money investing in real estate just as the real estate market goes flat and Rocky loses it all--his entire net worth. We see a Don King sort of promoter and in the end we see Rocky beat the crap out of his cocky understudy who turns his back on Rocky.
All five movies were great and worth watching, again and again. The musical score was great and still uplifting. The timing of this movie was perfect just as we were in the middle of a democrat-staged recession orchestrated by Pres. Carter and the Rocky I movie gave Americans at least a little something to feel good about.

1.0 out of 5 stars GAG ME!, June 29 2004
By A Customer
I can't beleive that this series has gotten 4 1/2 stars! Rocky was tired and old when it first came out. All the sequels just proved that Stallone can only play 1 dimensional characters. Puhleese! These movies need to be shelved for good.
Bottom line: Dont waste your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCKY FOREVER, April 27 2004
By A Customer
The best of the five is Rocky I. "Adrian!" The image of Rocky running up those stairs and raising his arms in victory with that immortal music in the backkground is the classic scene of all time. Everytime I rewatched #1, I'd be running out to rent all of the sequels until I got wise and bought them all. This kind of movie watching can even inspire a person to read books about boxing. I've read "Muhammid Ali: the Glory Years" and "The Last Street Fighter". I recommend them both.

5.0 out of 5 stars The top of the heap, April 16 2004
"lawyer400meters" (Mt. Laurel, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that I'm biased, because Rocky is my favorite film, and I love all of the sequels, even Rocky 5. I simply cannot see how anyone, especially any man, could not love these films. I watch these films and I want to go run 5 miles, even if its the middle of the night. The depiction of Rocky is so dead on. He is just an everyday South Philly guy and Stallone has the South Philly slang and accent down to a tee. I love the street corner guys singing doo wop and the run through the Italian Market is awesome. This is just a great series, and its amazing that Stallone wrote this screenplay in like two days, after watching Chuck Wepner fight Muhammad Ali. CLASSIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Yo Adrian!, April 11 2004
I LOVE THE ROCKY MOVIES!!! my god my god my god. they are totally awesome. the first is amazing because it details the beginning of Rocky Balboa's(Stallone) career & relationship w/Adrian(Talia Shire)..that fight against Apollo is one of the best boxing matches & is widely recognized. Follow your love for this movie onto Rocky II where Apollo Creed has a rematch w/the hero Rocky. in Rocky III, Mr. T fights Rocky.. Rocky & Apollo are best friends now & Rocky is really rising(hits the big bucks) meanwhile Adrian & he are still together. she's a very loyal wife. in part IV, Rocky heads off to Russia to fight Ivan Drago(Dolph Lundgren)..this is another gr8 fight..totally & completely nail-biting. & in Rocky V, well Rocky's had many downs in his life/career right now.. audiences find Rocky managing an ambitious youngster & having father-son issues..i suppose what makes these movies one of my faves & one of those well-loved movies is: it demonstrates how a common guy can have a dream,fulfill it, rise up in his career & life, then suddenly fall because of a stupid mistake..the important thing is to realize who is w/him throughout all this time. Rocky's a very courageous, down-to-earth type character. combined w/gr8 fighting sequences & renowned music themes, the ROCKY movies are immediate take-home Blockbuster material. Why are you wasting time reading this?? Buy the movies!!! the DVD is gr8! complete w/awesome features. well hope ya like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Set is Awsome!, March 15 2004
John T. Grillo (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This a great set to add to your collection and i recomend it to any rocky fan.

ARRAY(0xb58f88d0)

Rocky Anthology (Sous-titres français) [Import]
Rocky Anthology (Sous-titres français) [Import] by John G. Avildsen (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 85.94