5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I ever did for my cat!!
Published on Dec 3 2011 by Bibliophile

After my initial purchase I would have given this 5 stars. Now that I've owned it awhile there are some things I really don't like about it. The biggest issue is cleaning and replacing filters. But first the good.

Published 3 months ago by Bill Riemers

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I ever did for my cat!!, Dec 3 2011
This review is from: Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain 168oz (Misc.)
One of my two cats passed away last December of kidney failure...a common cat disease. I was told that cats (unlike dogs) do not drink enough water. And if you feed your cats dry cat food, as I do, because they are on a special diet, the lack of moisture contributes to problem. Both of my cats were always in the tub, sink or toilet trying to get water, even tho' we gave them bowls of fresh water every day. Cats prefer running water. I first bought a cat fountain from Walmart - the cats didn't like it because it didn't simulate a faucet, so I returned it. The minute I bought the Drinkwell Fountain, my cats immediately took to it. And I can honestly say that both cats drank much more water. Unlike the first 2 reviewers, I don't find it too loud. You should keep it topped up every day. A couple of tips - it does need to be cleaned once a week, which takes about 10 minutes or so. There is a charcoal filter which needs to be replaced, much like a Brita filter. There is a reservoir where you can put ice cubes on hot days. There is a little lever which lets you control the flow of water - low to high. Follow the manufacturers instructions e.g. don't let the fountain go dry, or you'll ruin the motor. I wish I had bought this fountain years ago and maybe my first cat would not have died from kidney failure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best water fountain I have ever purchased, March 17 2013
This review is from: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain (Misc.)
Holds more then enough water, over a week with out filling, very quite compaired to all others (I have owned at least 5 different ones). This is by far the easiest fountain ever to clean and keep clean, it all comes apart and you can put your hand in every part no brushes required! (use a quetip for the motor housing). The multiple fountians option combined with flow control makes it possible to change to your liking how much water noise you get. I see this as the 6th but last Fountian i will ever buy, every other I have owned was difficult to clean, didnt hold much water and didnt last long, on average 1 year. I have had this running for almost 2 months with no issues at all. I would recomend this for anyone with pets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean and my cats are fond of it!, Jan. 9 2012
This review is from: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain (Misc.)
1) My cats really really love it. They drink more than before.
2) Easy to clean.
3) Easy to assemble.
4) No nosie.

4.0 out of 5 stars My cats love this!, Jan. 8 2012
This review is from: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain (Misc.)
We bought this fountain 2 years ago and it unfortunately recently stopped working. We had to buy a new one because our two cats love it. Remember to clean and descale your motors to keep them in good working order. We live in a hard water area so there is a lot of scrubbing required! There is a new filter around the motor on newer fountains which should also help keep the fur out.
Amazon seems to have the cheapest prices for the fountains. I bought it at a big box pet store which was not smart because it was overpriced in comparison. I wish I had thought to check Amazon first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity. My cats took to it in a few hours, March 24 2013
Allan (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain (Misc.)
I love this fountain. Not because of the interchangeable spouts (that's nice but entirely unneeded for my cats) but because I have radiant floor heating. My old pet mate would evaporate most of its tiny water capacity leaving little for my cats. The Drinkwell is gigantic by comparison with the pet mate. Where I would fill the pet mate twice a day I fill the Drinkwell every two or three days.

The design is very simple. Since it has no nooks it is simple to clean. I no longer have old cat hair floating in the fountain after a thorough "cleaning."

You won't be disappointed if you get this fountain.

5.0 out of 5 stars DONOVAN LOVES IT!, Jan. 1 2013
This review is from: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain (Misc.)
I have been trying to get my cat a fountain for a long time but he would never drink out of any I tried. When I purchased this one and set it up, he finally went to it and began playing in it. Now he is drinking from the top of the fountain and loves it. And it is sturdy enough that he cannot move it with his foot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems more like a prototype than a viable commercial product. Stay away from this product., Sept. 5 2014
Bill Riemers (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain (Misc.)

This is a beautiful fountain, and when it works pets love to drink from it. I have one small dog and 3 cats. All of them are happy to drink from it, often two at the same time. (I've never seen more than two at once.) It probably doesn't need to be a full 360, as one side is probably against a wall, but it actually a fairly economical design for space usage.

Now the bad.

If you go into a pet store to buy the filters, they probably will not have them. I ordered filters within a week. About 6 weeks later they finally arrived at the pet store. I waited a couple of more weeks since the instructions are to change every 60 days. At that point I opened up and discovered there was no charcoal filter in the package, just a piece of foam. It turns out there are two types of filters for this fountain. The charcoal filters which should be replaced every 15 days, and foam which should be replaced every 60 days. That makes the cost of ownership of this fountain way too high... But if you are going to follow the instructions order them on amazon. If you order enough for the free shipping, it will cost the same as a pet store, but you are more likely to get exactly what you needed.

Now actually replacing the foam filter is a huge pain. When you look at the fountain it appears like you should just be able to twist it and remove the whole center tower. However, after struggling in vane to do this I search the internet to find instructions on how to do this. I didn't find any. I finally manage to get it open with lots of force and a set of screwdrivers to push at the tabs.

The foam itself appears to do nothing. The foam I took out did not look significantly different that the foam I put in. The fountain flow had gotten low, so I was hoping this would improve it, and it did slightly. Still another 2 weeks later it was dripping so slowly I took it apart again. It turns out it is just as difficult to open the second time... It seems as I expected the foam does nothing. It is really hard to get at the motor and pull it out to inspect it, but when I did I found it was full of cat hair. After a good cleaning, the flow rate still is not as good as it was brand new, but it is now acceptable.

I suspect because of the way I have to pry this thing apart to clean it, I will end-up physically breaking it before the first year is up.

So the reasons for my bad review is high cost of replacing two sets of filters, inadequacy of the filters, and the extreme difficulty disassembling for cleaning and changing filters.

BTW. The reason I purchased this fountain was to replace an older Drinkwell model, that I liked better but eventually gave out and they don't appear to make anymore. My primary reason for buying a fountain at all is our cat has had cronic urinary track infections before we purchased the first fountain. He likes to drink running water, so the fountain encourages more drinking to help keep him from having a relapse. If your fountain is clean, and you use fresh water to fill it, you really should not need to replace the water everyday even if you had no filters installed. I always fill with fresh filtered water. If you don't want to drink the water you are filling with, neither will your pet. The charcoal filter is mainly to keep a fresh flavour. The biggest problem with leaving water in is nothing will stop algae growth. In a fish tank you'll get noticeable amount of algae in days without something to take care of it. In a water bowl it should be weeks, so long as you don't allow the pets to drop food in the bowl and you keep it out of direct sunlight. With any fountain, plan on cleaning once every 15 days. Most fountains rate the charcoal filters to last 30 days, which seems about right. However, if you have many pets they are probably drinking the water too fast for the charcoal filter to make a significant difference. I'm probably just going to remove my charcoal filter all together as that improves the water flow with the idea of filling with filtered water and complete cleaning every 15 days is adequate. I'm still not certain if I'll bother buying more of the foam filters, or if I'll just clean the ones I have every 60 days.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., Jan. 23 2013
This review is from: Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain 168oz (Misc.)
I'd give this 3.5 stars, but my cat would probably give it a 1. She would still rather drink from the toilet so this goes in the pile of things both pucrhased for her and ignored by her. It can get noisy if you don't watch it, but otherwise as long as it's kept clean and full it functions fine. Mine was in my bedroom where she sleeps and it never bothered either of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, March 5 2012
I have 2 dogs and 2 cats who all love this product. We are going through lots of water so I know everyone of them is well hydrated.It is easy to clean and maintain. Well worth the moneyDrinkwell Big-Dog Pet Fountain

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, Nov. 23 2011
Great product for all 2 dogs and 22 cats. Fill up every other day. Not that loud on low flow. Filter not that effective for my use as it does not draw hair up through so I would not use filter replacement. Would recommend any flowing water system for pet.

Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain 168oz