Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cycling Tools

Lodge L6SK3 9-Inch Logic Pre-Seasoned Skillet (Black)
Size: 9 InchColor: BlackChange
Price:$35.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 3, 2013
I own several Lodge brand cast iron skillets - a deep one, a large 12" and this - as well as several antique skillets.

First, let me say the larger 12" is too wide for most electric stove burners; it will overlap the cold part of the stove too much for effective, even cooking. Unless you have a stove top with extra large burners, stick with the 10 1/4 inch Lodge pans.

The 10 1/4 is exactly the right size to cover the typical "large" stove top burner - the spiral type or flat ceramic surfaces.

There are a number of accessories available from Lodge that fit this and other skillets. For example, if you add their cast iron lid, it becomes a "roasting" (or "broasting") skillet for oven use.

Add their glass lid for either stove top or oven use - the plastic handle is safe up to 400F.

What's interesting is those extras also fit the 10 1/4 DEEP version of this skillet so you don't have a bunch of duplicate, incompatible accessories around.

For daily use, the non-deep version my go-to pan. The size and shape are ideal, as large as will fit on a typical stove burner.

Rub a steak in salt and pepper, drop it in the skilled pre-heated with some oil and butter and sear on both sides of a few minutes. Perfectly cooked steak, as good or better than if you'd grilled over fire. Try cooking burgers and hot dogs on cast iron too - they get nicely crusted over, like you'd expect from a BBQ. This, of course, isn't unique to Lodge brand cast iron but Lodge has made just about the ideal form factor for kitchen use, with this 10-1/4 skillet and it's deeper counterpart.

As with all Lodge cast iron, these skillets come pre-seasoned. In my experience, they're not seasoned thickly enough to make them non-stick from the start so I wipe them with olive oil and bake them in the oven until the oil polymerizes, forming another coating. I'll repeat that process at least three times to build up a nice thick non-stick seasoning. Google "seasoning cast iron" for lots of opinions on how to do this.

In use, these skillets are great. They're thick enough not to warp at all at varying temperatures and to retain heat well. You can turn your heat down quite a bit once the pan comes up to temperature.

The downside is weight. The assist handle opposite the main handle is especially useful when you've got a filled skillet.

Highly recommended, whether or not you're willing to buy into the rest of the Lodge accessory system.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you want a healthy, back to earth pan/skillet this is a great option. I managed to transform it into a nonstick pan just by oiling it and using it a few times. I also used it in the oven. Being of cast iron it is very sturdy, heavy but not too much, easy to use. It remains warm for a long time, and it can be used on any heating source including oven.
I have a lot of pans/skillets and this is one of the best!
on February 25, 2012
These iron skillets from Lodge are wonderful. The pre-seasoning means you don't have to do it yourself and if you follow the simple instructions to maintain the skillet you have one of the best almost-non-stick skillets around. Iron skillets are much better for browning meat and they go straight into the oven for finishing a steak or braising something. This small size is great for cooking for one as well!
on April 21, 2013
Lodge L3SK3 6-1/2-Inch Logic Pre-Seasoned Skillet (Black)

This is a tiny skillet, at just six inches, it is the perfect size for the smallest burner on my range.

However, despite the miniature size (or perhaps because of it), this skillet has become my go-to pan for everyday cooking.

Breakfast? Eggs (omelets, two-egg fried eggs, scrambled eggs, whatever), sausages, even pan-fried bread. Yum.

Lunch or dinner? I have cooked salmon, burgers, meatballs, tandoori chicken, "grilled" veggies, mini stirfries in this skillet ... this one skillet really can do it all.

Ever had pan-seared scallops? This pan is perfect for that, too. Filet mignon tastes almost as good broiled in this pan as it does on the barbeque.

In a pinch, I could use this skillet to make cornbread, but haven't done that yet.

The small size makes it trivially easy to cook just the right amount for one or two people, and also means I don't dread the cleanup.

If you're feeding a large family or cooking for a party, you may want a larger skillet, but for just yourself or just for two, this skillet is hard to beat.

By the way, if you manage to lose the pre-seasoned coating (I've been aggressive with the scrubbing occasionally), just cook with a bit of oil the next time you use the skillet ... the pan seasons itself again as you cook in it!

All in all, I'd highly recommend this pan. Now I just need to buy myself a larger one for those occasions when I have company coming over!
on May 16, 2013
I have been browsing cast iron pans for awhile now.... This skillet works great, I seasoned it before I used it and it works great! It's a work out using this pan but the product is well worth the effort, I also bought a metal spatula to use with it and highly recommend doing so, if not you might not get more delicate things (eggs) filled over.
on January 18, 2013
I hadn't used a cast iron frying pan since I got married and left home in 1961. I got feed-up trying to find a non-stick frying pan that would last (some were very expensive). I finally remembered how great our old one at home had been so I ordered it through Amazon. Not dissapointed! It cooks like a dream; Amazon's service was excellent and not too pricy.
on January 27, 2013
I can brown 2 lbs of ground beef in this, then add onions, tomatos, and beans to make one pot chili. Easy clean-up! I've had a 10 inch cast iron skilet since 1978, and its still going strong. I expect my daughters will be using this one when I'm gone.
on January 9, 2013
Very heavy for me to use. But it is iron, can not complain. Handle is a little bit short for me. It will be best if it comes with a lid. Turns out that I will need to buy a glass lid later on.
on February 16, 2013
I can't get enough of using this skillet. It makes my daughter's favourite fried potato taste ten times better than other coated pans. I love the fact that it is safe and healthy to use this pan for cooking for my little ones. I should have bought this ages ago. It is heavy but I ordered the sillicon handle cover so I can carry or tilt it safely when I need to. I bought this for my inlaws too.
on September 22, 2013
Great finish - all edges were nicely smoothed, the surface was even and well seasoned. It (thankfully) was not as heavy as I imaged such a giant pan could be. Cast iron is such a great material, definitely an essential for any kitchen. I think this pan will outlive me.