countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Size: 9 Inch|Color: Black|Change

on June 30, 2016
This skillet is amazing. If you season this thing right, with instruction that Lodge provides on their website, you can have an incredibly non-stick skillet that potentially lasts a lifetime. And while people often say that teflon is much more nonstick than traditionally seasoned cast iron pans, I have actually found the difference to be rather minimal. Unless you're a next level chef, the cast iron pan is in practice as nonstick as any other pans out there, as long as it is prepared correctly.

Couple of bits of detail. This 10 1/4 inch skillet is much heavier than any teflon/aluminum counterparts. In my uses of this pan, it also seems to heat up rather quickly. And a word of warning, it also maintains its temperature much longer so careful when handling it (to all the cast iron novices). There is also no insulating handle that means when the pan gets hot, the handle does too. Make sure you wrap a towel or something around it when handling the pan while on the stove.

In conclusion, this skillet is absolutely amazing. Great for cooking meats but will do pretty much anything a teflon skillet will do, granted one prepares it properly.
on June 13, 2016
Was a gift to my son-in-law, along with the 10 1/2" size pan. He loves to cook and was using them both by the very next day doing a large breakfast on the stove top and then keeping it all hot in the oven. He loves them! Was very impressed with the quality of the pans. The only negative I have to say.....HOW they were shipped directly from the manufacturer, not Amazon. The two pans (and we all know how heavy cast iron pans are) were COMPLETELY LOOSE in a huge box about 3' x 2' x 6" deep. Inside the box, besides the very heavy pans for protection was.....two small pieces of brown paper that were just lying in the box. No bubble wrap; NOTHING on the pans themselves; no anything. Needless to say, the pans were clashing against each other even though the UPS guy was carrying the box as carefully as possible. So product excellent; shipping was terrible. My 5 stars are strictly for the product.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 18, 2015
I use this 10 1/4 inch cast iron pan every day. I was looking for an alternative to the regular non-stick pans for a long time, since even with care they only lasted me a couple years and they leached who knows what into my food. I turned to ceramic coated pans, but those started to flake as well. To tell you the truth, I was little scared of using cast iron, I mean- how do you clean it? Well, once I figured out how to use these cooking items they became my pans of choice. Lodge is definitely the brand I recommend, having been given another brand and bought a couple cheap knock offs, I have to say the quality of Lodge if worth every extra penny. Their pans are much smoother with an amazing finish. Being made in North America is also a great bonus. The 10 inch is definitely the most versatile size skillet, I use it to saute/fry anything, cook sauces, cook veggies, meat, etc. which are your usual skillet/pan uses, but this pan is also great for: homemade pizzas, galettes, tarts, pies, biscuits, bread, paninis, grilled wraps, you name it. You can even use it as a cake pan in a pinch. Pizzas made in this pan have a wonderful crust. I try to keep my stovetop tidy, but this pan usually is sitting out along with my stainless kettle- it gets used that much. This pan is also easy to clean- scrub brush with a tiny amount of soap and hot water. It is definitely non stick as well. After I wash it, I dry it and lightly spray with my oil of choice. I wouldn't be without this awesome pan!
A little side-note; I also have the lodge dutch oven, 5 quart. The lid from that dutch oven fits perfectly on this pan.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 3, 2013
I own several Lodge brand cast iron skillets - a deep one, a large 12" and this - as well as several antique skillets.

First, let me say the larger 12" is too wide for most electric stove burners; it will overlap the cold part of the stove too much for effective, even cooking. Unless you have a stove top with extra large burners, stick with the 10 1/4 inch Lodge pans.

The 10 1/4 is exactly the right size to cover the typical "large" stove top burner - the spiral type or flat ceramic surfaces.

There are a number of accessories available from Lodge that fit this and other skillets. For example, if you add their cast iron lid, it becomes a "roasting" (or "broasting") skillet for oven use.

Add their glass lid for either stove top or oven use - the plastic handle is safe up to 400F.

What's interesting is those extras also fit the 10 1/4 deep version of this skillet so you don't have a bunch of duplicate, incompatible accessories around.

For daily use, the non-deep version is my go-to pan. The size and shape are ideal, as large as will fit on a typical stove burner.

Rub a steak in salt and pepper, drop it in the skillet pre-heated with some oil and butter and sear on both sides of a few minutes. Perfectly cooked steak, as good or better than if you'd grilled over fire. Try cooking burgers and hot dogs on cast iron too - they get nicely crusted over, like you'd expect from a BBQ. This, of course, isn't unique to Lodge brand cast iron but Lodge has made just about the ideal form factor for kitchen use, with this 10-1/4 skillet and it's deeper counterpart.

As with all Lodge cast iron, these skillets come pre-seasoned. In my experience, they're not seasoned thickly enough to make them non-stick from the start so I wipe them with olive oil and bake them in the oven until the oil polymerizes, forming another coating. I'll repeat that process at least three times to build up a nice thick non-stick seasoning. Google "seasoning cast iron" for lots of opinions on how to do this.

In use, these skillets are great. They're thick enough not to warp at all at varying temperatures and to retain heat well. You can turn your heat down quite a bit once the pan comes up to temperature.

The downside is weight. The assist handle opposite the main handle is especially useful when you've got a filled skillet.

Highly recommended, whether or not you're willing to buy into the rest of the Lodge accessory system.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 14, 2016
I've done a lot of reading on proper cast iron care since I bought this pan and I agree with other reviewers that it needs to be seasoned a few more times after buying it to keep things from sticking to it. I like this pan very much and use it for frittatas quite a bit. Sometimes the egg sticks to the side. It seems to be improving with use. Bacon stuck to it the first time, but since reseasoning it, it has gotten better. I think this is a very good quality product compared to other cast iron on the market and I am looking forward to using it and caring for it for years to come.
on June 22, 2016
The "seasoning" that came with the pan is pure garbage. Cooking bacon stripped it right through to the bare metal. Aside from having to completely reseason it I like this pan quite a bit, the handles on either side are appropriately sized but this is still just a giant piece of metal so I'm not sure why it's so expensive. I thought maybe I was paying for the convenience of not having to season it myself, but now I know that's not the case so I would consider it a tad overpriced.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 20, 2015
BEST purchase I have made in a long time. I ordered more in different sizes. Extremely well made. So happy that I can now get rid of the horrible non- stick pans in favor of my cast iron health skillets. Obviously, cast iron takes some time and care to clean and look after to keep in tip top shape, but so worth it in the long run to know that you are cooking with something that doesn't leave toxic residue in your body. I recommend buying the cleaning tools and brush scrubber accessories for them. Highly recommend.
on May 18, 2016
Don't be fooled by the throngs of cast iron owners and users proclaiming that cast iron cookware needs to be babied or you'll ruin it. The only thing you may ruin is the seasoning but you probably went hulk overkill to begin with if the seasoning starts coming off.

As these modern Lodges come pre-seasoned, you can run it under the tap to wash them right off the bat or after cooking without worry of rust. Just dry them with a towel after and if you're really picky, a final dry under low setting on the stove top or oven. Dishsoap is fine to use. If you really need to get stubborn stuck on food off, the best way I've found is to fill it with a little water (enough to cover the bottom) and heat it on low/med-low and scrape with a spatula, chainmail or those wonderful Lodge scrapers.

The helper handle is a nice touch for sure handed steadiness. Smooth bottom works well for glass stove tops. Despite the pebbled finishing, the casting quality is excellent as is the thick coating of pre-seasoning Lodge uses.

Now, the whole thing about how "vintage" cast iron is superior because "insert reason here" is mostly nonsense. The pebbled finish, while smoothing out over time with use will never be as smooth as the vintage stuff actually makes little difference in real life use. Virtually no difference with sticking between new and old. Those who go at these Lodges with a sander - you're wasting your time sanding these Lodges down to an uneven finish. I own Griswold and Wagner and use them side by side with the Lodge and they all work the same. Learn to control the heat and these Lodges will function as well as the old stuff.

These Lodges are great buys and a mainstay in any kitchen. They are more hands on to use but well worth the trouble. Perfect size for the burner, best to get two of these as opposed to one large one which would be a nightmare to carry.
on June 22, 2016
I love my new skillet! Although Lodge pre-seasons their pans, 've re-seasoned it in a 250 oven for 15 mins. to give it an extra coat of non-stick right off the bat. While it is an inch wider than my burners, it's the perfect size for the amount of food I need to prepare in it. 5 stars for this great quality skillet that will last me a lifetime.

I would also like to mention that my first order of this item fell through as the seller was out of stock, but Amazon came to the rescue with their Fulfillment Program and sent a replacement, with 1 day shipping on the house. I won't buy anywhere else with that kind of customer service!!
on May 3, 2016
It's a tiny pan. It's like a large cast iron pan, just a lot smaller. It works the same way where you put food into it that you wish to heat or cook and put it on the stove to heat it up.

I had to get a very flexible spatula to get the egg out that I cookin it.