4.0 out of 5 stars I was unexpectedly surprised by this film :)
Published on Jan. 10 2007 by M. B. Alcat

3.0 out of 5 stars it almost worked for me(but not quite) (2.7/5)
i was kinda disappointed by this movie.it wasn't a horrible movie.i
just thought they could have done more with it.it's sort of a romantic
comedy,but really more of a tennis movie.the tennis scenes are one of
the strong points of the movie.they looked real to me.i believed that
the actors could be tennis players.the romance aspect was not bad.i...
Published on Sept. 8 2007 by falcon

4.0 out of 5 stars I was unexpectedly surprised by this film :), Jan. 10 2007
M. B. Alcat "Curiosity killed the cat, but sa... (Hanoi, Vietnam) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wimbledon (Widescreen) (DVD)
"Wimbledom" is told from the point of view of Peter Cort, a player that at the beginning of the movie defines his place in tennis quite accurately. In his words, "Presently ranked 119th in the world. Sport is cruel. Now I know it doesn't sound too bad. Four million tennis players in the world, and I'm 119th. But what that really means is this - 118 guys out there are faster, stronger, better and younger. And it gets you thinking".

The plot of this movie is simple: two professional tennis players meet at Wimbledom, and start falling in love. One is Peter Cort (Paul Bettany), playing his last tournament before retirement, and very accustomed to losing. The other is Lizzie Bradbury (Kirsten Dunst), a budding tennis star playing her first Wimbledom, a young woman that loves to win and is good at it. Their relationship starts to have unexpected results, as Lizzie impresses on Peter some of her on-court aggressiveness, and he stars to win, to the amazement of everybody (including himself). Of course, there is more to the plot of this film than that, but what would be the point of watching it then?.

All in all, I can say that I was unexpectedly surprised by this film. The truth is, it is really good, even if you are not much into tennis (and yes, that is my case). It isn't a classic, and it isn't perfect, but it is an excellent choice if you like movies that are a good mixture of romance and comedy. If you do, I highly recommend "Wimbledom" to you :)

Belen Alcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, Feb. 16 2010
L. E. Reid "Damzelle" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wimbledon (Widescreen) (DVD)
This was a charming, lovely funny, romantic film. It's that rare romcom told mostly from his point of view. His is the stronger, more interesting character and Paul Bettany pulls it off with boyish charm and oh so British modesty. The conflict between the couple was believable and natural. And James McAvoy's turn as the conniving brother is not to be missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars it almost worked for me(but not quite) (2.7/5), Sept. 8 2007
i was kinda disappointed by this movie.it wasn't a horrible movie.i
just thought they could have done more with it.it's sort of a romantic
comedy,but really more of a tennis movie.the tennis scenes are one of
the strong points of the movie.they looked real to me.i believed that
the actors could be tennis players.the romance aspect was not bad.i
thought the two leads(Kirsten Dunst,Paul Bettany)had some chemistry.but
i just felt there was something missing.i'm not sure what it was.all i
can say is this movie didn't quite do it for me.it was certainly
watchable and not boring,but not quite compelling either.having said
that i give "Wimbledon"a 2.7/5

3.0 out of 5 stars generic romantic comedy, June 14 2007
K Scheffler (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wimbledon (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is nothing more than a generic romantic comedy, so don't expect al that much from it. It is charming at times, but overall is pretty bland and really not worth discussing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching romantic comedy, March 14 2005
Andrew Robinson "ludicrously dubious" (Guelph, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wimbledon (Widescreen) (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I must admit, I didn't have high expectations for it, but it really surprised me just how good a film it is. The chemistry between the Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst is strong onscreen and the underdog storyline reminded me of the award winning Rocky, albeit a tennis movie opposed to a boxing movie. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this movie to watch as a family, if you are a sports fan, or are a fan of romantic comedies.

Wimbledon (Widescreen)
Wimbledon (Widescreen) by Richard Loncraine (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 9.99