5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Do not buy the DVD, Buy the VHS (it's on Amazon)
WARNING! Do not buy the DVD, Buy the VHS (it's on Amazon)
I am a huge Bill Murray fan and have seen this movie at least 50 times. I obviously like it and I rank it near Murray's top behind Ghostbusters, Shack, Stripes and Ground Hog Day. However, one of the the great aspects of the movie is its amazing soundtrack: Jimi Hendrix's ax grinding staccato of Purple Haze as...
Published on Nov. 25 2002 by dukecritic

1.0 out of 5 stars I agree. DO NOT Buy the Anchor Bay release of this film!
Anchor Bay bought the rights to this film and for some reason only included a couple of the original songs. And they still advertise on the package that there is music from Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix. This music was taken out! Curse their flagrant lies! The music they added is some horrible studio band. The original music is a key part to this film. Why would any...
Published on Feb. 26 2004 by Eric Reichmuth

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Love Hunter Thompson, Buy Before It's Too Late, May 2 2002
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
Have not had this video for years, but always loved it. I tried
to buy it on DVD, but now there's only this cheesy version with bad music available. People who hate this movie really don't get into it. And soon this version will be unattainable.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must see!, Feb. 8 2002
Nick Daniels (Northfield, Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
If you like the outlandish antics of Hunter S. Thompson and the comedic acting of Bill Murray, this movie will become one of you favorites. Although not as visualy stunning as Fear and Loathing, this film relys on the talent of its actors, and it does not disappoint. Also the character development in this movie is stellar, you really get some insight into these charactors. That coupled with a crazy story that seems to go nowhere until the end when you realize the movie has come full circle, makes this flick a classic. Period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bill Murray does a great job!!, Feb. 4 2002
Richard Huffman (SAN JACINTO, CALIFORNIA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
This is the original version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Bill Murray does a great job in portraying Hunter S. Thompson, The outlaw jornalist from the 60's and 70's. If you liked Fear and Loathing, then I would recommend this movie. It has a great sound track too.
"I hate to advocate alcohol and weird chemicals, but they have worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars A True Waste of Celluloid, Nov. 30 2001
Donald G. Ely (Morgantown, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
First, I should tell you that I share a birthday with the aforementioned Hunter S. Thompson (something I rarely brag about). One might think this would make me at least a little sentimental about a movie about him. But 'Where the Buffalo Roam' was, without a doubt, the WORST film I've ever seen. Okay, I'm not a huge Bill Murray fan, but I appreciate his work. I'm not a Peter Boyle fan either, but I'll always think of him with a chuckle as Gene Wilder's 'Monster' in 'Young Frankenstein.'
Unfortunately, this film had the kiss of death upon it before it was ever released: a combination of irrelevant and uninteresting subject matter, a screenplay that Thompson (a writer) should've vetoed the moment it came out of the typewriter, characters that neither inspired empathy nor pity, and self-absorbed acting doomed it. Had I not been with friends when I went to see it in the theater, I'd have surely left with plenty of popcorn to spare.
The bottom line: There are lots of good, even mediocre, movies out there. Don't waste your time and money on this one. It is TRULY the worst. There is a requisite minimum of one star on these ratings, but I feel that Murray, et. al. owe me a few.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled, Sept. 9 2001
J von Frank (SC United States) - See all my reviews
Don't be fooled by some of the other reviews listed above. I saw a lot of five star and four star reviews here, but let me tell you the truth so that you don't make the mistake I just did: this movie is a stinker. And that's being very generous. This movie had a few funny scenes--and I'm talking a FEW--but, as a whole, it was absolutely dreadful. It's two hours of your life that you'll never get back. Save your time and your money and steer clear of this ....

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the Cheese!, Aug. 10 2001
Justin Fuentes (Citrus Heights, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Note: This movie is about Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. And for those of you who already know this, I've read that Thompson was not happy with the outcome of this production. Based on other things I've read, it is my interpretation that he was unhappy with the storyline and not the acting. What you must keep in mind is that this movie was made in 1980. It was meant as a comedy and starred a cast member of SNL. But then again, Blues Brothers was a huge hit. The movie met with crappy reviews and had a short lived theater run-time. I happen to be a huge Hunter Thompson fan and love everything Thompson. I know all of Thompsons books and as much as he doesn't want to admit it, this movie is pretty much the man. This is not for everyone. Many would find it silly. In fact it is silly. I suppose the question would be: Do you Fear you might Loath this film? If that question exists in you, you simply MUST find out for yourself. If you don't understand the question, you're too late. Me? I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Altered Sondtrack!!, Aug. 1 2001
T. C. (Palatine, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Some of the songs on this DVD are changed from what I think is the original version. The first noticable case is in the first scene where the fax machine gets shot. The song that starts right after Thompson (B. Murray) unloads/loads the gun and starts the stereo is totally different. Very annoying. See another review here for more details. As far as the video transfer goes, it seems flawless.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'd Rather Eat Poison Than Watch This Movie, March 22 2001
Matthew P. Arsenault (SW Michigan) - See all my reviews
I will admit, I'm a big fan of Hunter S. Thompson, but this movie made his real career seem like an ugly joke. Thompson has contributed much to the development of journalism, literature, and to some degree politics, yet "Where The Buffalo Roam" uses silly, slap-stick humor to portray an important author. Norman Mailer, and Tom Wolfe have never been portrayed this way, and it's a shame that Thompson chose to allow this movie to be made. The film has a few funny moments, and I guess a fan of Hunter Thompson will find it slightly entertaining, but don't expect "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Thompson hated it...why shouldn't you?, Jan. 27 2001
Michael A. Zug (Brookville, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
This film, for some reason, sticks out in my memory. I remembered seeing it as a child somewhere on network television . So, in a fit of nostalgia, I bought the thing. The bits I remembered were there (the hunting knife and grapefruit scene in the airplane...Playing football with the hotel staff instead of going to the Super Bowl he was covering) BUT those remain the only good things about this film. As a longtime fan of the good doctor, I could not help liking Bill Murrays portrayel (although it was a bit like "Caddy Shack does outlaw journalism). Now you can listen to those people who like to make pretense at having some profound knowledge of Thompson (by dropping bits of trivia about his many works and his relationship to the brown buffalo, Oscar Acosta) but it will not help you. This might: Unless you have some random childhood memory of this picture which will force you (contrary to your better sense and critical judgement) to feel some nostalgic affection for it - Don't bother. It's a piece of monumental hackery and it's only saving grace is the opening of the film accompanied by Neil Young. It is that bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great HST, messed up soundtrack!, Jan. 1 2001
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
As a Hunter S. Thompson fan, I thought this film was very enjoyable, maybe a little light. That's okay! But they messed up the soundtrack!! Only Neil Young was left untouched (or this would be a one-star review!) Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix are gone! Why?? Why would they mess with something so sacred? I'm pissed, but still find the film enjoyable and recommend it with 4 stars. Thanks.

ARRAY(0xb185bdf8)

Where the Buffalo Roam, the
Where the Buffalo Roam, the by Art Linson (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 12.95 CDN$ 11.99