5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Do not buy the DVD, Buy the VHS (it's on Amazon)
WARNING! Do not buy the DVD, Buy the VHS (it's on Amazon)
I am a huge Bill Murray fan and have seen this movie at least 50 times. I obviously like it and I rank it near Murray's top behind Ghostbusters, Shack, Stripes and Ground Hog Day. However, one of the the great aspects of the movie is its amazing soundtrack: Jimi Hendrix's ax grinding staccato of Purple Haze as...
Published on Nov. 25 2002 by dukecritic

3.0 out of 5 stars No truth in labeling
I had taped this movie off of premium cable nearly 20 years ago and have watched every Super Bowl Sunday. Those who have seen the movie understand the significance of watching on Super Sunday. With the original off cable tape starting to show signs of wear, I bought the VHS copy of this movie several years ago. I was sadly disappointed to learn that the film's...
Published on Feb. 9 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Aug. 6 1999
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
A strange journey into strange times. Murray does Thompson excellently but Boyle does not come near to doing as well as Del Toro in "Fear And Loathing In Las Veags".
A wonderful film. Sort of an older brother to "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas". This is one of those movies that the film makers know won't get good reviews. But they do it anyway. And films like this always find an audience which proves that there still are strange people in this world;thank God!
The film follows Thompson on his strange journey as he checks into a hospital to avoid a deadline, gives away his Superbowl tickets, and interviews Nixon at a urinal.
With music by Neil Young, Bod Dyaln, Jimi Hendrix, and CCR.
Ralph Steadman drew the title cards for the opening scene.
The best line in the film is the last. Also, if you are a true die hard Hunter S. Thompson fan, you have to buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars 4-stars for Murray, as for the rest well..., Feb. 22 1999
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
Bill Murray plays Hunter S. Thompson perfectly (with perhaps more hair than was actually necessary!) in this awkward 1980 film, based loosely on some of Thompson's works from "The Great Shark Hunt" (1979). While Thompson fans may appreciate this one for it's cynical humour and dry wit, the film goes basically nowhere, and leaves the viewer wondering what in the hell is the point to all of this! Peter Boyle's performance (especially in comparison to Bencio DelToro's) as HST's Samoian attorney, Oscar DeAcosta, is awful!! Overall, the movie is worth at least one viewing, for Murray's A-calibre performance, but other than that the flick is an unfortunate celluloid waste. Try "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (1998) directed by Terry Gilliam. Johnny Deep, as HST, pales in comparison to Murray as Thompson, but the film is 110% better. Good luck and happy "Hunting."

1.0 out of 5 stars Too ... For Music Rights, Aug. 16 2002
The movie, of course, is quite funny... in it's original form. I've seen it many times, and own it on VHS. Imagine, if you can, the bizarre and jarring effect of replacing all of the great sixties music (Highway 61, Purple Haze, etc.) with awful sounding 80's era fake rock. The description says it has all of this great music, but, obviously, Artisan was too ... to buy the rights to the music. Better off looking for an original VHS copy.
Very funny, though, and infinately more light-hearted than Terry Gilliam's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"... a movie that somehow did the unimaginable - made riding around in cars with a head full of acid seem like something you wouldn't want to do!

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did they cast Bill Murray?, March 2 1999
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
While this movie may be more "believeable" than Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it was a poorly directed film with awful choices for casting the characters. I mean, Bill Murray as a Gonzo journalist? I kept thinking "Groundhog Day", and Saturday Night Live everytime I saw him. And I don't think I have to say anything about to choice of the casting of the attorney. If you've seen the movie, then enough said about it. While this movie will probably be viewed more in 98-99 due to Fear and Loathing's success, don't expect it to impress you much, and if you thought Fear and Loathing had no plot [which it did], then don't look for one in this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars And I'll Gnaw On Both Of Their Skulls, May 6 2002
"king_of_ducks" (Lanoka Harbor, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
We first came across this film by accident while working at video store and we rented it that night. After watching it I can safely say that this is quite an excellent film, though I thought Peter Boyle's interpertation of Carl Lazlow was rather shaky at first. But still quite the excellent companion to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I must say, excellent all around. Bill Murray is an excellent Hunter S Thompson, though he kind of reminds me of the guy he played in Caddyshack. By far the best scene is when Thompson gives Harris acid and tells him that it's "prescription" mediciner for headaches... trust me, hilarity doesn't begin to describe what happens...

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully Humiliating?? NO Painfully Funny?? YES, March 28 1999
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
I think alot of people missed the point of this movie. It is not just about one of his books - its about all of his books. The point was not whether he actually was in a restroom with Nixon but rather he said he was and some one put it in the movie. Bill Murray does a great job of playing Thompson. You just have to know what is going on before you see the movie. Just reading one book will not help you. This movie is a cult classic. The more you have read from the man the better the movie is. Fact or fiction doesn't matter - the point is that it is just plain funny. Just the way the stories were originally written.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that it matters, Oct. 3 2002
Harder (Lansing, MI) - See all my reviews
Not that this necessarily matters to most people, but, if you're a diehard fan of Hunter S. then you may be interested: I read an interview with Thompson in which he condemned this movie. He said it in no way emulated his life and that Murray did a hack job, going for humor as opposed to accuracy. So, in my opinion, if you want to learn more about Thompson you should watch Gilliam's Fear and Loathing, starring Johnny Depp. Depp lived with Thompson for 6 months prior to shooting, so I'd say he did his research.
One more thing, Thompson is known for lying in interviews, so maybe everything I've said is worthless.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing romp., Oct. 28 2002
Luis M. Blasini "LUIS" (San Diego, Ca) - See all my reviews
I first saw this film late night about four in the morning with spanish subtitles in a Tijuana hotel when the tiquila was wearing off. I was expecting the off kilter goofiness of Fear and Loathing and yet what I got was a suprising comedy about the true antics of Hunter S. Thompson and his nutjob lawyer Dr. Gonzo. The film did make me laugh and I thought the acting was thought out. Bill Murray was great and Peter Boyle was his usual fine self. Being a big fan of Thompson's and reading all of his material, I can say with the utmost satisfaction that this film is destined to be an american clasic.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'd Rather Eat Poison Than Watch This Movie, March 22 2001
Matthew P. Arsenault (SW Michigan) - See all my reviews
I will admit, I'm a big fan of Hunter S. Thompson, but this movie made his real career seem like an ugly joke. Thompson has contributed much to the development of journalism, literature, and to some degree politics, yet "Where The Buffalo Roam" uses silly, slap-stick humor to portray an important author. Norman Mailer, and Tom Wolfe have never been portrayed this way, and it's a shame that Thompson chose to allow this movie to be made. The film has a few funny moments, and I guess a fan of Hunter Thompson will find it slightly entertaining, but don't expect "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

4.0 out of 5 stars Murray and Thompson, Oct. 10 1999
This review is from: Where the Buffalo Roam (VHS Tape)
I first came across this movie by accident, it for one reason or another (probably due to Gilliam's Fear and Loathing) the movie was on some cable channel, I flicked to it and said, Is that Bill Murray? Is he PLAYING Hunter Thompson? As a fan of Thompson's work I think this film does an interesting job of presenting Thompson, I don't pretend to be an expert, but sometimes you can just enjoy something for the sake of what it is, maybe it's not Thompson in all his glory or maybe it is, whatever it is, it's worth the price of admission. Buy the ticket take the ride.

Where the Buffalo Roam, the
Where the Buffalo Roam, the by Art Linson (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 26.58