4.0 out of 5 stars An impressive and audacious debut
Bertolucci, while a cinephile, had spent very little time on actual movie sets before making this film at age 21.

It’s a Rashomon like exploration of the murder of a prostitute. We see various men being questioned by police in a
Published 15 months ago by K. Gordon

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining! Comparable to "Rashomon"
Published on Jan. 1 2001 by Alex Udvary

4.0 out of 5 stars An impressive and audacious debut, July 26 2013
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: La Commare Secca (The Grim Reaper) (Criterion Collection) (DVD)

stylized way – we never see the questioner, only the witness, sitting in a pool of harsh light. We hear the man begin
to tell what he did or saw on the fateful day, while cutting to images of his actual experience, often at odds with what
we hear him telling the police. By the end of the film we get a picture of what happened that night for each of these
men and the woman who was killed. Beautifully photographed, with an excellent sense of composition, it’s a pretty
strong little film.

There are weak spots; the acting is variable at best, in a few cases cringe-inducingly over the top. Also, much of the
dialogue was evidently post recorded, so even though the actors are Italians speaking Italian, their mouths are sometimes
out of sync with their voices, and the dialogue often has a tinny artificial quality.

But quibbles aside, the film has a haunting quality that marks the start of a great film-maker’s career, and makes this
well worth seeing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining! Comparable to "Rashomon", Jan. 1 2001
Alex Udvary (chicago, il United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grim Reaper, the (VHS Tape)
Bernardo Bertolucci is sadly not known for this film. When most people think of him they usually think of "Last Tango In Paris" or his Academy Award Winning film, "The Last Emperor". But I think it's pretty fair to say, no one thinks of this one. I mean, c'mon, I'm the ONLY person who's writing a review for this movie! But this movie is comparable to Kurosawa's "Rashomon". It too also deals with many different people offering their perspective on what happened the night of a murder. Only in this case it's a prostitute who was killed in a park. Bertolucci's directing is amazing in his first film. It displays what kind of filmmaking genius he is! I don't think it's his best film, but it's definitely a movie I wish more people would watch. A wonderful film, that deserves to be better known. Great acting, intriguing storyline, good cimematography, and outstanding directing by Bertolucci. A must for every Bertolucci fan!

La Commare Secca (The Grim Reaper) (Criterion Collection)
CDN$ 32.99 CDN$ 26.23